Texting charges while on cruise

MickeyHereWeCome!

DIS Veteran
We are sailing on the Oasis in August, and have purchased several VOOM packages for our family of six, which includes 4 teens who frequently text friends.

I know that social media apps will work with the Voom package, so my kids will generally use those to stay in touch with friends. We should be able to use iMessage to stay in touch with each other.

Does anyone know what happens for incoming texts (ATT)? My daughter is in many group chats, etc. , so I know there will be many that we can't prevent. I don't want to discover hundreds of dollars in charges for our week long cruise. There is some sort of International text/calls on our plan, but I think that's for outgoing texts. Will airplane mode prevent texts but still allow us to access the voom wifi?

I'm sure this is something simple, but new to us:). Thanks for any help so I can eliminate this from my "worry list" haha!

Karen

We were on the Harmony in December and you could pay about $7 per device for the week to hook up to the wifi for texting. (Not full Wifi/Voom) but this allowed us to text and Face Time back home. My kids were able to watch YouTube videos as well. I didn't buy the Room package because I didn't need full access to the internet. This might work for your family if you don't need full Wifi access/high speed. My youngest son has our old cell phone that he plays games on and listens to music (without any phone service). We were able to text with him as well through the wifi/iMessage.

Edit to add: Incoming texts can be received through the Wifi/iMessage as well. No extra charge.

Turn off cellular data for the teens as soon as the ship departs, and tell them it needs to stay off until the end of the cruise. They will be able to access everything that comes via I message and WiFi but not anything else. This also has the added benefit of saving battery life as the phone will not be searching for signals and prevent those pesky telemarketing calls from getting through.

Sorry for the ignorance, but how does communication work onboard RCL? We are looking at booking Oasis of the Seas for next summer... Do they not have an app like DCL, which allows free chat/messaging with other passengers? We’ll have DD15 and DD9 with us, and I like on DCL how they can message us if their plans change. Thanks!!

Sorry for the ignorance, but how does communication work onboard RCL? We are looking at booking Oasis of the Seas for next summer... Do they not have an app like DCL, which allows free chat/messaging with other passengers? We’ll have DD15 and DD9 with us, and I like on DCL how they can message us if their plans change. Thanks!!

Yes, they do, the Royal Caribbean app is available for iOS and Android devices and can be used on Allure, Enchantment, Oasis, Serenade, and Symphony of the Seas; the cruise line is anticipating to add more ships down the road. (The Royal IQ app is available for all three Quantum class ships and Harmony of the Seas.) It looks as if complimentary onboard messaging will also be available along some other features such as online check-in, luggage tracking, dining/excursion/entertainment reservations, interactive Cruise Compass, and drink ordering. Keep in mind that, just like the Navigator app, you won't be able to utilize most of these features until your device is connected to the ship's Wi-Fi network.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to test the new app as it is currently not available for my next two cruises on Adventure, Harmony, but my Harmony cruise is not until December 2019 so a lot can change until then.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter