The ABCs of a New 'Ohana Adventure-G is for: Greetings From Teppan, Good-Byes, and Good News!!! - COMPLETED 1/7

Hoping for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery .

Back to prior post - boat is my favorite mode of transportation. Relaxing and a breeze !
stayed at CBR awhile back. My parents thought it was too big and we haven’t been back. Your pics make it look pretty . Maybe I will have to give it another try .

Says the woman who used most of the bathroom passes up. :lmao:

Hence the reason they are short supply! :lmao:
Probably. Dole whips, bacon, ice cream or ariel items seems to work for me.

I saw that!! Have you had your first no wait bus ride yet? :hyper:

That's the part of Disney transportation that gets me riled...the fireworks are ending, you KNOW there's going to be a big crowd, deploy more buses for that 30-45 minute window!!!! This is the main reason I don't stay for the fireworks (well, and also because HEA sucks compared to wishes). I want to beat the crowd to the buses, monorail, boat so I don't have an insane wait when I'm already tired.

THIS! I also choose to leave early missing them most of the time for exacty that reason. The absolute LAST thing I want to do is stand on my feet for another 30 minutes (or more) waiting for a bus that SHOULD have been anticipated. Ridiculous to the nth degree. I hope the Skyliner eases that a bit for at least those resorts.

They sound a bit off key though. More like a wailing tomcat when they're about to fight more so than sadness.

Meow.

Spoken like a true nurse! I mean, really, what nurse would wait for time to heal it, or even worse, seek professional help? :crutches: (Unless you happened to be traveling with another nurse! :rotfl: BTW, great job on the Batuu chapter!
Hi Terri! :) You know us nurses well!! Having said that, my neck did reach a "breaking point" last year. Finally went to the surgeon who, of course, made me do all the treatments (that didn't help at all) in order to satisfy the insurance requirements. What should have been done a year and a half ago is finally going to happen. Finally.

As for a nursey intervention... :rolleyes1 ;)

Thanks, that one was particulary fun to write!

You can try... but, no. I can't.

Jennifer.

So that's what that sound is!

If you listen very carefully, you might even hear a hint of empathy.

Like the hint of flavor you might find in a La Croix. Infintesimal.

Wait... how did we switch to fruit...

You started it, Hammock Boy.

You could, and I'm pretty sure he did once or twice.
At first he would drive to the north end where there was a small settlement (and even a rail line) and then boat from there. After a while, he cut a logging road to his place. You had to have a Jeep or similar to use it.

Now THAT is remote!

I'll take all of those... but you still won't bribe me.

Soooo... no quid pro quo.

That last pic had me laughing so hard (sorry!!) All I could think of was porta potties at the State fair years ago when my son was trying to demonstrate to his little brother how to not "sit". Having so much fun reading your TR!
You are absolutely allowed and encouraged to laugh right along with us!! :) :welcome: to the fun we have here and please chime in often and add your stories and insights!! :hug:

I'm glad you're having fun and enjoying the TR so far. Still lots and lots to come!

I am sending positive thoughts and remember just keep swimming!

Thanks, Caroline! I'll give updates along the way. I heard today the surgeon has given my case a 4-hour block. It's so weird to see one's OWN name on the schedule.

I wish a speedy recovery for you and an improved quality of life with less pain!

I hear that the improvement can be almost immediate... fingers crossed.

I love the pictures around CBR, beautiful. We may need to stay here again in the future, the Skyliner is a plus!
It was such a pretty resort in so many ways. I really loved it for the laid back vibe.

Well, in light of your upcoming surgery, the dilemma I was going to share seems trivial (it is!) but this is Disney, so I'll ask your opinion anyway.

OH no, please don't think something you want to ask here is trivial. :) These are the kinds of things that really make hosting a TR fun!! I love to have discussions about stuff like this and I'm sure there are many others that read this thread than can chime in. I'll tag a few others that might be able to contribute who have traveled solo or have stayed at WL.... @suse66, @ariane37
FIRST, thinking good thoughts for your surgery. I don't suppose there's PT afterwards, right? I'm not a big fan.

PT actually made my neck worse when I did it to see if it'd help. I am NOT a fan either, but may go a few sessions to see how it goes.

Yesterday I had planned to reserve at Wilderness Lodge for March. When push came to shove I just couldn't do it. To review (because you have so many readers I don't expect you to keep us all straight), I LOVE my solo trips and I've been making my way through the resorts. Wilderness Lodge was next on my list. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost for lil old me. I keep thinking that If I stayed at a value (I've already been to all of them) it would be like Mickey standing outside my door each morning, handing me $300 and telling me to have fun. Ugh. I go back and forth. When I think I've convinced myself to go big, I picture Mickey handing me the wad of cash. When I think about a value, or Port Orleans French Quarter, the only mod I haven't been to, I tell myself that at my advanced age I never know which trip will be the last. I know, first world problems. You like to go solo, do you struggle with where to stay?

I totally remember your quest to stay at all the resorts and am happy to give my 2 cents. I LOVED staying there! It is a wonderful place and I can say that there are quite a few things to do if solo. I completely understand your hesitation, so maybe this might be a solution. Are you open to a split-stay? Maybe a value for the bulk of your stay on the front end where you tear into the parks and other touring, then to end your vacation on a relaxing, different note, move over to the WL for a short 2- day stay where you intentionally plan some stuff just there or nearby.

Spend some time at the lovely pool with a good book, take the resort tour offered daily (I'll share in depth at some point), take the boat to FW and walk around, boat over to the Poly for a snack and walk there, sleep in, spend some time at Geyser Point or Territory Lounge and people watch... see? Lots to do and not as much as an entire stay just there.

Do I struggle? No, depends on the situation but usually go where my heart takes me.

And how and Declan and new Mom doing? :cloud9:

I talked to her tonight, and she seems to be doing well. She tells me that he sleeps really well from 9 or so at night til midnight, she nurses hin, and he sleeps a bit more, but has a cranky time from 2- 3:00AM. But sleeps pretty good after that. She's napping when he does which is as it should be. She switched him over to cloth diapers and now he has a fit when his pants gets changed. Go figure. But I think all in all, they are all doing fine. :goodvibes

Hoping for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery .

Back to prior post - boat is my favorite mode of transportation. Relaxing and a breeze !
stayed at CBR awhile back. My parents thought it was too big and we haven’t been back. Your pics make it look pretty . Maybe I will have to give it another try .

Thank you so much. I'm really hoping for a smooth recovery room experience and good first 48 hours.

Ahhh, the breeze... not the (bus) freeze!! I think to really enjoy CBR, you just have to intentionally be OK with slowing down. If you are on edge about feeling like you are missing out on park time or whatever with the extra 5-10 minute walk then no, it's not the resort for you. But, if that 5-10 minute walk is seen with a viewpoint of "ahh, this is nice to slow down and enjoy the music and flowers", then yes, it's absolutely the right place.

Reactions: DLo
I'm having a 2 level (C5-6 and C6-7) cervical decompression and fusion. 5 days before my folks are arriving for the Holidays and my hosting a gathering for 12, on the 16th at 9:00 to be exact, I'll be going under the knife.

I'm sorry you have to go through that. If it helps, I know someone who came through a fusion amazingly well!

I'll be off work for a minimum of 4 weeks and really can't afford to take anymore than that off, so I'd love prayers for a super speedy recovery so I can get back to doing what I do.

Of course. Praying all goes well and the recovery is fast.

I'm sorry you have to go through that. If it helps, I know someone who came through a fusion amazingly well!

Well, given how amazing that "person you know" did with an entire rod, I am very hopeful I'll sail through this with just a little plate. :)

ETA: Having 40 years on her, does change up the game though... ;) I doubt if they made me into Bionic Woman at this point, I'd be playing Lacrosse anytime soon.

Of course. Praying all goes well and the recovery is fast.
Thanks, Mark! I do appreciate it!

Last edited:
Well, the long-standing inevibility of neck surgery has come. After years of putting it off, trying all of the conservative treatments the insurance wants you to go through, and simply living in pain for far too long, I'm having a 2 level (C5-6 and C6-7) cervical decompression and fusion. 5 days before my folks are arriving for the Holidays and my hosting a gathering for 12, on the 16th at 9:00 to be exact, I'll be going under the knife.
:scared1:

Holy smokes! The timing of this seems....
Well, on the one hand, it'll be nice to have you mom around, I'm sure... on the other hand... do you really need to be entertaining after neck surgery?!?!?!?
Whichever way you slice it.... um... let me rephrase that... whichever way you look at it, I hope it works out well for you.
The nice part is that I'll be having it done where I work with familiar and trusted people at my side.
That must be comforting. :)
I'll be off work for a minimum of 4 weeks and really can't afford to take anymore than that off, so I'd love prayers for a super speedy recovery so I can get back to doing what I do.
Consider thoughts and prayers to be winging your way. :hug:
The good news is that I'll be able to devote more time to writing and editing photos while I'm off so I can speed this TR along a bit.
:laughing:
So that's what it takes! Drastic, but effective.

Jennifer.
:confused3
If you listen very carefully, you might even hear a hint of empathy.
All I hear is the hum of the hvac system and the guy beside me on the next computer, typing away.
Like the hint of flavor you might find in a La Croix. Infintesimal.
That bad, huh? I think I'll skip trying that.
You started it, Hammock Boy.
:laughing:
Now THAT is remote!
::yes::
When the generator was turned off (no electricity out there) the silence was amazing.
Soooo... no quid pro quo.
Nope! It's all about me, ya know.

I was 10 pages behind?! How did this happen!?

In any case, I did try to multi-quote and then my computer restarted in the middle of my replying, and now they are all gone. Ugh.

In any case, loving the start of your report! I especially enjoyed your pictures of the resort, as I have never stayed there either! I'm excited to try out the Skyliner in December when Rob, Jimmy and I spend some time at WDW after our Merrytime Cruise.

Wishing you a very speedy recovery and successful procedure!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery! I also had a spinal fusion for scoliosis in high school, but this sounds like a much less complicated procedure and recovery. I am assuming your mom will be helping out much more than you will be having to entertain her.

As for CBR, since our stay there was our first WDW trip, we didn't really have anything to compare it to. And of course, we had little ones with us (3 and 6), so they really appreciated all the resort amenities. We definitely did do our fair share of leisurely wandering around the resort. This was shortly before they re-did the pool area, so it wasn't quite as cool as your photos show. I would consider going back, but I'd also like to try some of the other resorts if and when we go back. (We stayed off-site our other trip).

I will say, driving our own car to the parks was probably the best part of driving down and staying off-site. I'm not sure I'd do the drive again just to have the car, however!

I'm having a 2 level (C5-6 and C6-7) cervical decompression and fusion. 5 days before my folks are arriving for the Holidays and my hosting a gathering for 12, on the 16th at 9:00 to be exact, I'll be going under the knife.
I'm both thrilled and sad to hear this. Thrilled, because I know it's been bothering you for a long time and you're finally going to get relief. Sad, because surgery is never fun and neither is recovery.

I have seen the work of whichever anesthesiologist I get and my RN co-workers are the BEST
This is good!!!

Definitely praying. Feel free to call or text me if there's anything else I can do.

I totally remember your quest to stay at all the resorts and am happy to give my 2 cents. I LOVED staying there! It is a wonderful place and I can say that there are quite a few things to do if solo. I completely understand your hesitation, so maybe this might be a solution. Are you open to a split-stay? Maybe a value for the bulk of your stay on the front end where you tear into the parks and other touring, then to end your vacation on a relaxing, different note, move over to the WL for a short 2- day stay where you intentionally plan some stuff just there or nearby.

I had thought of a split stay, I've only done that once. I liked your emphasis on hitting the parks hard on nights when I'm just looking for a bed at the end of the day and planning to spend more time around the resort while actually at WL. That may be the solution. Thanks .

I talked to her tonight, and she seems to be doing well. She tells me that he sleeps really well from 9 or so at night til midnight, she nurses hin, and he sleeps a bit more, but has a cranky time from 2- 3:00AM. But sleeps pretty good after that. She's napping when he does which is as it should be. She switched him over to cloth diapers and now he has a fit when his pants gets changed. Go figure. But I think all in all, they are all doing fine. :goodvibes

When you're going through it it's so hard to believe they'll ever sleep through the night.

Interesting about cloth diapers. I used them when my sons were young as a money saver. I always said a prayer to the washing machine gods before washing them hoping the machine wouldn't die mid cycle. Now I suppose it's the green thing to do to use cloth.

Your Christmas plans sound wonderful. I never had any cousins, nieces or nephews, so our holidays have always been one table affairs. With our sons out of state Thanksgiving was just the two of us and I expect Christmas will be the same. Not complaining or asking for sympathy, but hoping people who have full houses enjoy the happy chaos.

Wishing you the best Liesa for a speedy recovery. It's nice that you are familiar with the people and setting for the surgery. I guess it makes it a little easier. I hope you get to enjoy the holidays as much as possible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter