The ABCs of An EPIC Girls' Trip! May, 2019-Q is for: Quietly Sending this Trip Report off Into an Internet Sunset (8/25)

I have never done the Brunch and Iam so excited for this! I have watched a few reviews and the food looks amazing. I want to try so many things!

MK before the brunch sounds like a good plan, we have not done an emm before, we have done 3 DAH at MK, very fun!

J is for: Just in Time for the Animals
Monday morning is planned for a very early EMH at Animal Kingdom. Knowing from past experience they open the park even earlier than advertised, I plan to have us there by 7:15. I have a love-hate relationship with this shenanigans- you get to get in earlier, but it also makes it unpredictable. Which is probably their intent, so I shouldn't complain too much.

With a FiP in place for a 4:00 spin on FoP, we'll head to Navi instead at RD, then hit up an early morning Safari, the Gorilla Falls Trail and then grab a little slice of Heaven... the Kusafiri Cinnamon Roll. That should amply tide us over until later. The "later" part I'll share in the next update. As I've said before, Mom isn't into coasters, so we'll skip EE and focus on the shows (hoping to catch the new bird show) and the FiPs that I do have at the Safari, FoP, and FoLK. Just before our afternoon FiPs, we have another little interlude away from the Park, but again, next update.

After our rides and touring, we'll all settle in for a quiet dinner at Y&Y and will hold out for an upstairs table if it's not more than 30 minutes or so. It's just FAR nicer eating up there away from the noise of downstairs. That's the plan anyway. We all know how those go sometimes. ;) The plan I hope does NOT change is the availability of the Apple flavored sake (cold) that I fell in love with a few years ago. Mmmm!

By the time we finish, it'll be my favorite time of day at AK- twilight for the Tree of Life Awakening and Pandora at Night. It's by far my favorite park at night now, and I can't wait to show Mom the magical beauty of it.

Hope your week is off to a fantastic beginning, Friends!!

You've hit some of the highlights of a day in AK for me! That cinnamon roll wasn't on my radar, so I've taken a note of that!! I love the Tree of Life Awakenings. I can just get lost in a daze staring at those!! Looking forward to hear what other fun you're saving for the next post about this day :)

You've hit some of the highlights of a day in AK for me! That cinnamon roll wasn't on my radar, so I've taken a note of that!! I love the Tree of Life Awakenings. I can just get lost in a daze staring at those!! Looking forward to hear what other fun you're saving for the next post about this day :)

Such a great way to spend a day. It's hard to believe that when I went in 2000 I hated that park and left after about an hour. I went in 2010 and it was a half day park. Now it's easily a 2 day park for me and my favorite.

This roll is so much more flavorful than Gaston's. I think you'll love it!

For sure about TOL in the evening. The first time I saw it I was mesmerized. :)

The upstairs seating area at Y&Y is really nice; I can't compare it to downstairs because I've never eaten there, but I enjoyed how relaxed the upstairs felt.

Ugh, 7:15 arrival at DAK. That sounds about right but doesn't make it any easier.

Sounds like a solid plan. When we were there last week the wait for Navi was a low as 40 minutes! :eek:

K is for: Keep Your PinKies Up!
The mid-day interlude from AK has us taking a break from the Wild and heading to the Proper. Pinkies up, Ladies! Tea at the Grand is my cup of tea- quite literally. I first went years ago in 2010, and since then, IMHO, the menu has gone downhill. They used to have a great tea menu that was heartier and included a serving of pâté that I adored. Adding a glass of champagne was reasonable as well, but now... no pâté and adding champagne costs an outrageous $17 a glass. Ridiculous.

BUT, the mini tea (The Bedfordshire) is around $35 and ample amounts of food. Last time I was there in 2017, I left completely stuffed and could literally only muster one taste the trifle at the end. Despite the menu changes, Afternoon Tea is such an elegant, slow-paced, lovely way to spend a couple of hours. The food was really very good, but I have to agree with other bloggers I've read recently, the Tea Room is looking a little worn now. The tables were too close together as well; I could pretty much have considered myself part of the date at the table about 18 inches away from me.

Nevertheless, I love afternoon tea and am really looking forward to the dainties again. Here are a few of the photos from my last trip there in 2017:

I believe there are 8 of us planning to go! Ladies, I'm so happy to be sharing this with all of you! Only a little over a month away!

With a FiP in place for a 4:00 spin on FoP, we'll head to Navi instead at RD, then hit up an early morning Safari, the Gorilla Falls Trail and then grab a little slice of Heaven... the Kusafiri Cinnamon Roll. That should amply tide us over until later. The "later" part I'll share in the next update. As I've said before, Mom isn't into coasters, so we'll skip EE and focus on the shows (hoping to catch the new bird show) and the FiPs that I do have at the Safari, FoP, and FoLK. Just before our afternoon FiPs, we have another little interlude away from the Park, but again, next update.
I really enjoyed the new Bird show last week. It is well worth seeing. The thing I like best about AK is there is so much to do that isn't ride focused. You can have a fabulous day or two there and never go on a ride, if you didn't want to.

By the time we finish, it'll be my favorite time of day at AK- twilight for the Tree of Life Awakening and Pandora at Night. It's by far my favorite park at night now, and I can't wait to show Mom the magical beauty of it.
It is absolutely gorgeous!

BUT, the mini tea (The Bedfordshire) is around $35 and ample amounts of food. Last time I was there in 2017, I left completely stuffed and could literally only muster one taste the trifle at the end. Despite the menu changes, Afternoon Tea is such an elegant, slow-paced, lovely way to spend a couple of hours.
It is such a lovely experience!

It's always hard when something you love starts to lose its luster. I'm sure this experience with afternoon tea next month will be wonderful because of the company. Hopefully it'll make up for the dated look of the restaurant.

The tea sounds like a lovely way to spend a few hours! I'm not a tea drinker typically, unless I'm sick or congested, but this would be something I'd love to try some day with my Mom :)

Hmmm.....I have never done afternoon tea. It just wasn't something that was ever on my radar. They have added one at Steakhouse 55, so perhaps I should give it a try.

I'm glad you enjoy it so much, but I'm sorry to hear the quality is slipping.

I am rounding the bend and heading for the home stretch!

1HOmMx0Cg2MAF1zfoDhB4jQ-4.gif-4.gif

My last day of clinicals is April 5th, then I have a seminar day on May 2nd, the day before I fly out for our lovely Epic trip! I have absalutely nothing to do between April 6th and May 2nd. Can't wait to veg out on my couch for a full day!

So a quick update, cause I am sure you are wondering...I have 2 job interviews the next couple of weeks. One is a "predictive" hiring position, where they interview, hire, and train someone because they are predicting they will lose someone soon. This is on Friday of this week. It is for Transfusion services which is actually my top choice of area's in the lab I would like to work. The downfall is, if I get this position, I have no idea what shift I would be working because it would be based on someone else retiring/resigning their position. It is for Riverside Methodist Hospital which is a 796 bed hospital. It's one of the biggest here in Ohio so things would never be boring. The second is at Galion Community Hospital. It is this coming Monday. It is a 35 bed hospital which is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum. It would be for Microbiology which is my second choice of area's to work in the lab. It would also be day shift, which is just about unheard of just coming out of school into the lab. The downfall is it pays $4 less an hour and I am afraid I would get bored.

That's it for now. I have case studies to finish and 3 more exams to take over the next week and a half. Hopefully I will be able to contribute a bit more once those are done, if I am not passed out over a bed for a few weeks!

I really enjoyed the new Bird show last week. It is well worth seeing. The thing I like best about AK is there is so much to do that isn't ride focused. You can have a fabulous day or two there and never go on a ride, if you didn't want to.

Now I'm even more keen to see it! I've not read of a ton of folks doing it but always love a new-ish experience. And I 100% agree with this! I love the rides but also love doing things that are just... listening, seeing, smelling. Rides are so short, but a trail for example is just as entertaining for me and lasts longer.

It is absolutely gorgeous!

It truly is. I think in Sept my kids are going to be blown away!

It is such a lovely experience!

I picked out my dress for it which I think will work for both touring the park and getting a bit fancier for Tea. :)

It's always hard when something you love starts to lose its luster. I'm sure this experience with afternoon tea next month will be wonderful because of the company. Hopefully it'll make up for the dated look of the restaurant.

I know you're right! And the food was just as wonderful as ever last time, so at least there will be that to look forward to as well. And of course the live music in the lobby if it's playing.

The tea sounds like a lovely way to spend a few hours! I'm not a tea drinker typically, unless I'm sick or congested, but this would be something I'd love to try some day with my Mom :)
They do have other options available as well which you can order, and honestly the tea is definitely NOT the highlight for me. It's the food which at first glance seems sparse, but it was MORE than ample. I left almost uncomfortably full last time. I think it's a perfect Mother/Daughter thing.

Your Tea date sounds lovely! I've always wanted to do this and a girls trip is the perfect way to do it.
You should think about it with Michelle and Danielle! Maybe the guys could go find some "guy" thing to do with all the kiddos and let you girls have this to yourselves. :)

Hmmm.....I have never done afternoon tea. It just wasn't something that was ever on my radar. They have added one at Steakhouse 55, so perhaps I should give it a try.

I'm glad you enjoy it so much, but I'm sorry to hear the quality is slipping.

OH nice! Speaking of Steakhouse 55 I just saw an article on that place...They just stopped serving the signature 24 layer cake. Sad. I had that back in the day once and was wowed. :(

I think the food for the tea is fine, but the dining room itself needs a refurb or refresh.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!