The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

What an interesting and eventful good bye to Africa.

Yes it was!!!

Ah, The Ditch! I must visit there again soon!

It's the hip place to be! ;)

Too bad you can't make it to DL in October...our paths will cross at some point!

Big girls trip in May! Join up!

Sounds like you had to leave Africa with a bang. Couldn't let the...adventures stop before the very end. :eek:

There was no chance of that! LOL!

Ok, this is news! Marvel in Norway? Um, ok. I suppose because of Thor? :confused3
Yes, although not as bad as it sounds I guess, there's no "in your face" Marvel comic strip hanging on the wall. I happened across the below article and I just found it interesting they highlighted the gods from Marvel (Thor, Loki, Odin) - not a coincidence I'm sure, but I guess Marvel itself based the comics on real Norse gods. And it does appear to be tastefully done with authentic artifacts.

https://www.easywdw.com/easy/blog/norway-gods-of-the-vikings-exhibit-at-epcot/

Dear Friends, Readers, Boys and Girls,

Ummm, I have a trip coming up. October 1- October 4th. Anyone want to have a quick Meet? My plans are pretty firm with some ADRs I don't want to miss, and things I am keeping as TR surprises... but I'd love to seen any and all of you for a hug and hi!

Let me know soon so I can see what might work out for us. :)
I cannot like this post since once again I'll just barely miss someone I'd like to meet. :sad:
We're there Sep 23rd-29th.
So close...so close, but yet so far...

Steppe's Quiz Around the Showcase- Pt. 2
We’re finally nearing the end of this pretty dead TR, almost a year later. It’s been fun for me to re-live the memories I made through the writing and the photos, but it’s time to put it to bed as I look forward to another saunter in my favorite place. Two chapters to go and, depending how crappy I can make my writing, I’ll bet I can wrap it up today. Please contain your relief.
Ummm, sorry, but relief is not spelled s a d n e s s. I understand you wanting it to be finished, but since you have more than 5 readers, not a relief at all for us. Sorry I haven't been around much, but as I shared with you, I'm going through a rough spot now as well and simply don't have as much time for the DIS as I'd like. Please contain YOUR sigh of RELIEF!

I knew for sure I didn’t want a marg from here as they are all pre-mixed and presumably not very delicious compared to a freshly made ones from The Ditch. So off I went in that direction. I hadn’t ridden It’s a Small Mexico in quite some time, and there was no line, so I took a quick spin on that. I still have no desire to get Rohypnol’d there so will probably never go, but it’s a cute ride nonetheless.
I will have to google this...no idea what "Ryhypnol'd" is.

No, I'm not on PCP. I swear.
Mmmm hmmm. First it was white powder, now PCP and Margaritas. And from a nurse, no less.
:sad:

Quiz Time!

1. Have you ever had a marg from La Cava, and if so what is your favorite flavor?? I order something different every time I go, because I can't choose!
I thought you said no more quiz. Nope. Don't like te-kill-ya, so not a marg fan in the least. Also, due to pepper allergies, Mexico is one of our least visited pavilions for food.

Next stop, NORWAY- home of my beloved Rice Cream.
This is still on my to do list. Forgot to try this in February...too much to do, so little time.

And I can still eat it beside a statue of questionable nature. Sorry, I just don’t get this one.

2. Can someone please explain this statue to me? Is she nude? Running? What is she running from? Be as creative as you'd care to be. ;)
You haven't heard the story??? Wow! I thought you knew everything about Disney.
When the imagineers were designing Norway, they found a real troll. They made a bridge for Maelstrom and the troll lived under there and aside from taking tolls, he also liked to scare people on the ride. One day, Medusa was riding and when the troll popped out to scare her, he turned to stone. The problem was the troll's magic also changed Medusa. The snakes fell off her head and into the water and she turned into a beautiful girl. Since nobody dared look at her before, she never needed clothes. Well, she was so scared of the snakes and people looking upon her n*dity, she immediately ran out of the ride. There was a cousin of Medusa's whose gaze turned people to bronze instead of stone. She was waiting outside in case her cousin "missed" anyone. She looked at the young girl, unbeknowst to her, her cousin and pow, she's bronze, n*de and running.

As Paul Harvey used to say...."Now you know the rest of the story"

And other fun photo ops. I can say, I really loved the Christmas decorations here, perhaps more than in any other pavilion. Really well done!

Super hate that wire in there and it makes me want to learn photoshop. :(
If you want to send me the photo, I can work on it for you. I did one for missalexisangel (?) to take out the person that photobombed them.

3. Be honest, have you even spent any time looking at the displays in the Stave Church??
As opposed to all the other times we're dishonest??? Hmmm?
Honest = NOPE Never been on my radar

4. I'd like to hear your opinions on the changes in the Norway Pavilion. Who remembers the super awesome Viking Ship there? My kids LOVED climbing all over that thing!
Honestly (yep, still being honest), I was never a big WS fan until the last 5-6 years since I don't like shopping either. So, the only real change I remember is Frozen, which aside from Olaf, I don't care for. I regret not being able to try Akerhaus before they changed it.

6f254.jpg

Cute. May have to look for those in September.

5. Did Steppe buy anything from Karamell Kuche? Has she ever? Have you?
No, yes, yes. (in order)

The caramel (or is it Karamell) apple from there was great and so was the caramel corn. I think it was mentioned here...the maple popcorn in Canada has piqued my interest also.

6. The gondolas are obviously representative of Venice, but what Italian place does the Plaza area represent?
No clue. I've been to Italy and seen architecture similar, but not sure.

7. Now for a bonus! What is YOUR most and least favorite Pavilions in WS?? Go the extra mile and rank them!
Most favorite
Germany for food
Japan for "stuff"
Honorable mention, UK for tea (but too expensive and not many greens)
Least favorite
Canada - Been to Canada a few times and enjoyed it, but the pavilion and lack of shopping as you said are meh. Only thing that kept US from being last is VOL.

Germany, Japan, China, Italy, Norway, UK, Mexico, Morroco, America, Canada

Sorry to burst your bubble steppe, but the belly dancers in Morroco --- nope!

And that, my friends, is a wrap. The end of World Showcase for 2017. I’m looking forward (a LOT!) to making another Trip Around the World in just about 2 months where outrageous amounts of Food and Wine will be consumed, more photos will be taken, and more memories made.
Sad to hear, but understood.

I thought about that. So... you have some who will not drink alcohol and some who will. Why not offer both libations and let the guests chose?
If the answer is because the Islamic people would be offended.... I'm sorry, but, too bad.
I prefer to use a live and let live policy. You don't want to drink? That's fine, don't. You want to? Fine, go ahead. I'll do my thing, you do yours.

Now... if the custom is to not drink in the country... or everyone is Islamic, then I will gladly refrain.

Hmm.... let's put it this way. If I go to someone's house and they are Islamic, then I'm not going to bring or expect alcohol.
But if they come to my house, then I will serve wine to my other guests.
But if they are the only guests coming, then I won't serve it to anyone, including myself.
AMEN. Preach it brother!

Wow, vuja de.

One counter point though...in your own home, even if they're the only guests, you should still be able to serve yourself if you wish. I'm not a big drinker (1 or 2 this year thus far), but I'm not going to inhibit or try to influence those who wish to drink either.

Liessa , only you and your family would embark on such a mission . . I am humbled by your giving of yourself for those in need !! I am proud tcount you a a friend !! The Lord will bless you for your service to others !!
I will eventually get all caught up !!

Liesa, I was waaaaaay behind (I've become even less Dis-eyer than I was before due to work and life.) but was able to catch up while my boss was getting ready for heavy duty depositions tomorrow. Your last day in Africa had me stressing out and I didn't actually live it. Regarding your last Disney trip update, I loved the Christmas decorations in Norway too. They were my favorite of all of the World Showcase decorations.

Hey! Just letting you know I'm trying to catch up but I seem to only have time at bedtime and my tablet doesn't play nice. Saw you with your beautiful granddaughter on facebook. We're you in Guam or were they visiting Stateside?

Ok, All, I worked until 11:30PM trying to get caught up on all my reading but didn't quite make it. I still have at least one more thread I'm subscribed to to finish, (you know who you are) and this one to get back to. So, replies are going to have to wait at least another day, or maybe until the weekend. :(

Of course by then, I'll be behind all over again. LOL!

SO!!! NO ONE UPDATE for a little bit, okay?

:lmao:

Ok, All, I worked until 11:30PM trying to get caught up on all my reading but didn't quite make it. I still have at least one more thread I'm subscribed to to finish, (you know who you are) and this one to get back to. So, replies are going to have to wait at least another day, or maybe until the weekend. :(

Of course by then, I'll be behind all over again. LOL!

SO!!! NO ONE UPDATE for a little bit, okay?

:lmao:

Define a little bit. It's been over a minute, so to me that's a little bit. But, since I don't have any active TRs or PTRs (so as not to bore my 8 readers), no updates from me except hysterical...umm, funny....umm, witty....okay fine dumb comments on other people's TRs.

I am all caught up on all the other threads I read, and saved this one for last.

... the weekend is coming. ;)

I will get to the replies here soon. Promise. :)

Here I came to comment as I couldn't remember if I commented on your first set of questions, and realized that I had, but then found a whole new set of questions. I also never commented on your Escape from Africa. I could have NEVER done that trip, and to have so many things out of my control like that I would have been a complete and total basket case. I suppose if I were traveling with just me, but I'm so accustomed to doing everything with Fran and looking out for her all the time, I've lost sight of reality as a solo person. I'm always in awe of what it's like say when Jill and I are touring Disney all by ourselves and such.

I'm glad you were able to make your plane and get back to civilization and such!

1. Have you ever had a marg from La Cava, and if so what is your favorite flavor?? I order something different every time I go, because I can't choose!

I've had one with you! I'm a margarita purist. I usually go for the Cadillac one with a side of Grand Marnier.

(There are some lesser delicious treats as well.)

Fran loves the Lefse!

2. Can someone please explain this statue to me? Is she nude? Running? What is she running from? Be as creative as you'd care to be. ;)

No clue but the closest I could get was that in Denmark there is a music festival called the Roskilde Festival. It's four days long and sort of similar to Coachella, one of the "things" at the Festival is a Naked Run around the Camp Site, one each Male and Female winner receive tickets to the next year's festival.

3. Be honest, have you even spent any time looking at the displays in the Stave Church??

I'm not sure I've even been in the Stave Church or where it is!

4. I'd like to hear your opinions on the changes in the Norway Pavilion. Who remembers the super awesome Viking Ship there? My kids LOVED climbing all over that thing!

Well I miss the Troll. I heard that the Viking ship was practically falling apart because the wood rotted so they had to get rid of it. I don't remember it though.

5. Did Steppe buy anything from Karamell Kuche? Has she ever? Have you?

I'm gonna have to say yes, for the love of god, how could you not? And if you haven't WHY??????? We usually stop there on our first day of the trip and buy $50-100 worth of stuff!

6. The gondolas are obviously representative of Venice, but what Italian place does the Plaza area represent?

Since all the buildings are also representative of Venice, I'm gonna go with that.

7. Now for a bonus! What is YOUR most and least favorite Pavilions in WS?? Go the extra mile and rank them!

My rankings are mostly based on the Food and Drink available in the countries, the more good restaurants or quick places for booze in that pavillion the higher the rating it got!

Mexico - 8
France - 8
Italy - 7
Japan - 7
Germany - 6
England - 6
Morocco - 6
Canada - 4
China - 4
America - 3
Norway - 2

You've done well there! I don't remember it being a real sushi bar, which was probably before I started going regularly.

I think that was on my very first trip with Fran. Back before she was diagnosed with RA and she used to eat raw fish too.

I did, but guess what?? I'll be there in Sept., 2019 too. ;)

I don't get there until sometime after October 1st. We have to be in Orlando on the 10th of October, so we'll probably be tacking on 5 days prior at WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!