The ABCs of Another Steppe Into Adventure!- Last Africa Ch. + World Showcase Pt. 2

Hello,
i just found your trip report and wanted to say "hi and thank you" for letting us follow along on your adventures! I've always wondered what the cultural representatives from Africa think of Animal Kingdom. What do you think?

Dear Liesa, I fell a few posts behind but I’ve managed to catch up.
I just wanted to say that you’re in my thoughts and whatever dark clouds are hanging over you now, I truly hope that it will be resolved soon. Remember, there’s a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day.

Hey Jeff! Been quite a while since I've seen you here!

I'm truly grateful for all of your kind wishes and good thoughts. I know I have genuine friends here who are with each other through thick and thin.

And yes, tomorrow's another day. :) Taking each day as it comes and doing the best I can.

Hello,
i just found your trip report and wanted to say "hi and thank you" for letting us follow along on your adventures! I've always wondered what the cultural representatives from Africa think of Animal Kingdom. What do you think?

Well, a very big

:welcome::welcome::welcome:

to you!! I'm so glad you found me over here in this quiet little playground. :)

Hmmm, I think I would have to say that Disney, as with all things, chose to highlight the many positive aspects of Africa including it's art, dance, music and of course animals. Africa, like ALL cultures has its dark sides of graft, violence, greed, and disease, but that's all been taken out of the narrative. We see that in, for example, Liberty Square, where there is no mention of slavery, but rather the themes of resolve, freedom, etc....are showcased. What they did choose to portray as "Africa" in AK I'd say they did very, VERY well. I was only in W. Africa whose culture and landscape are quite different than the S. Africa areas, but the native plants they used for landscaping, the background music, the art are all 100% authentic, much of it imported directly from that continent. The tongue and cheek "sight gags" of shoddy wiring, misspelled words on posters, etc... are also authentic. :)

I do know that @Flossbolna has also spent some time in Africa and might be able to throw in a few words/opinions as well.

I don't know if that answers your question, but I LOVE this kind of dialogue on my threads! Thank you for asking, and I REALLY hope you'll stick around and comment more!

Also, I ran across this article the other day that I found to be a really fascinating, if not somewhat academic, read:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...ve-disneyfication-and-cultural-impressionism/

Cheers!

Last edited:
“Nooooo---ooooo—oooooo---- oh my gosh---------oooo!” sung in varying degrees of howling, minor-keyed notes of half hysteria, half panic.

IMG_1755-L.jpg

:rotfl2: Oh my gosh, talk about belly laughs. I would have been mortified to get singled out like that.

Last edited:

:rotfl2: Oh my gosh, talk about belly laughs. I would have been modified to get singled out like that.
I can't even tell you how hilarious it was! I was so mortified and absolutely just... froze. Kind of. I did manage to squeak out some very unintelligible nonsense before the lead singer laughed it off and ended the show.

So. Funny!

Also, I ran across this article the other day that I found to be a really fascinating, if not somewhat academic, read:

http://www.wdwinfo.com/walt-disney-...ve-disneyfication-and-cultural-impressionism/

Cheers!

This is one of the best articles on Disney I've read! Thank you for sharing it! I'm real life when I'm not reading Disney blogs, I'm an archaeologist, so I've spent some time thinking about Disney in relation to anthropology. I agree that Disney at its best, like other art and fiction, can inspire interest and plant seeds for other cultures and places that can grow into genuine passion. I still remember visiting Epcot as a young teenager and leaving absolutely determined that one day I was REALLY going to visit those countries.

Cheers!

This is one of the best articles on Disney I've read! Thank you for sharing it! I'm real life when I'm not reading Disney blogs, I'm an archaeologist, so I've spent some time thinking about Disney in relation to anthropology. I agree that Disney at its best, like other art and fiction, can inspire interest and plant seeds for other cultures and places that can grow into genuine passion. I still remember visiting Epcot as a young teenager and leaving absolutely determined that one day I was REALLY going to visit those countries.

You're very welcome! :) I'm sure your studies have led you to some fascinating thoughts on this topic- how Disney uses culture and human geography in its portrayals of place and time.

As you say, Disney can and has been very inspirational for many people, ourselves included. I hope you follow those dreams of travel and get to see some of what you've tasted at EPCOT!!

I sauntered my way over to all things Dixie and found a fuzzy little family all huddled together in a popcorn coma while visions of churros danced in their heads. “Don’t worry, kids, your dad is out looking for a new place in Splash Mountain Acres.”

So cute!!

Great photo here :)

I had my chance at stardom, a 10-second solo career in the Happiest Place on Earth and I turned the opportunity into one of total embarrassment. Yes, the 20 or so folks standing around roared at my expense. And I about died of laughter myself. My face felt like a sun-ripened tomato in a July Garden, but I walked away with one of the most hilarious memories I’d ever had in any of the parks. Someday, I’ll have my chance at a do-over.

Oh my goodness! Hilarious!! :rotfl2: Next time you'll be ready for them! :thumbsup2

Hi @Wayland10 since @Steppesister referred to me I thought I‘d chime in! I visited South Africa and Namibia in 1999 (so long ago now!) for a month. My boyfriend at that time was writing his PhD in African history. So I did get quite an introduction by an expert.

I visited AK in 2004 for the first time and was amazed how much it transported me back to the Africa I experienced. I love to chat with the African CMs at AKL and they are always happy to meet someone who has seen Africa.

I guess they see Africa at AK as a nice example that gives you an essence of the continent as good as it is possible in such an abbreviated way.

To be honest, this is exactly how I as a German feel about the Germany pavilion in Epcot.

I don't know where my time has gone, you've slipped in two updates since I last visited your TR.

The landslide looked tragic. I can imagine how devastating it was as we were bombarded with the images of Carpenteria and I'm sure this one was 100 times worse, but the Carpenteria one happened in an affluent area and closed a major highway in CA so it was majorly covered.

You managed to find beauty everywhere. Love those pictures!

So did you go into the park again on the next day? How funny your embarrasing pirate moment! Hilarious!

And :grouphug:

Naturally, I found myself heading to the parks for one last hurrah.

Oh! You went back! Nice! :)

I will almost invariably turn left off of Main Street;

Me too.
Well, in MK, I mean.
DL is still too new for me to say I do anything on a regular basis.

I sauntered

Don't worry! You'll graduate to the next level if you keep working at it!

I sauntered my way over to all things Dixie and found a fuzzy little family all huddled together in a popcorn coma

:laughing:

Awww...

Spotted it right away. Good eye!

They didn’t and I drowned my sadness in white powder

:eek:

The jokes abound and they deliver plenty of laughs to those who stop long enough to enjoy their antics.

Maybe next time I go, I'll see if I can find them.
Must admit that I generally don't seek out the live music... but like to stop (if I have the time... sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) and have a listen.

With catchy lyrics it’s easy to start singing along, which they encourage. So I did. And I had fun.

Sounds like you had a great time! :)

Yo Ho, Yo Ho…. It’s catchy… admit it, you sing along too… all 9 words you know. You also mumble the rest of it like all of us do too.

:laughing: Yes! That's exactly it!
"Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me.... mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble... yo ho, yo ho..."

“Nooooo---ooooo—oooooo---- oh my gosh---------oooo!” sung in varying degrees of howling, minor-keyed notes of half hysteria, half panic.

:lmao: No! You didn't! You were singing right along all this time!

I had my chance at stardom, a 10-second solo career in the Happiest Place on Earth and I turned the opportunity into one of total embarrassment. Yes, the 20 or so folks standing around roared at my expense. And I about died of laughter myself. My face felt like a sun-ripened tomato in a July Garden, but I walked away with one of the most hilarious memories I’d ever had in any of the parks. Someday, I’ll have my chance at a do-over.

:rotfl:

Okay, that's funny!

I had a strong hankering for some pommes frites, but the Café Orleans has become THE hot spot for noshing and no walk ups were available for a table at any point during the day.

Well, poop. Too bad.

I was pleased someone snapped this photo of me just in time so I could show you exactly what I looked like at that terrifying second I was asked to sing Yo Ho, Yo Ho all by myself.

:laughing: Thanks for the visual!
Not sure if I could ask a total stranger to shoot that.
I thought maybe Alison might have, but I saw her post just above.

(Me wearing a priceless expression and and even pricier DLR hoodie. Don't drink and shop, Kids!)

:rolleyes1

I found my way back to the castle and snapped a few photos before it was time to make my way to LAX:

Boo. Who wants to leave?

Beautiful.

Very nice! Like the framing.

The only thing I can think of is it is close to overflowing and maybe someone did that so no one would try it? :confused3

To ease the pain of having to leave all of the wonderfulness that the trip was, I was given one last piece of pixie dust. I had one Southwest drink coupon which I used on a Bloody Mary, and when I half-jokingly whined to the flight attendant that I didn’t have any more coupons, he took pity on me and gifted me with another drink and 2 more coupons for a future flight.

Yay! Drown your sorrows!

is for: Picture Perfect Pandora Pt. 1

In its conceptual design, Disney had envisioned a Mythical Creatures land at AK, and after just shy of 20 years, Pandora was born. She’s beautiful, mysterious, flashy, yet subtle, and even has a touch of understated naughty. Pandora cemented Animal Kingdom’s solid hold on me for Top Park Pick with its addition, and I can now say if I only had one day in Orlando, this is the park I’d choose.

Some subtleties that I noticed in my wanderings were the lamp posts (I notice those wherever I am having a slight obsession with them, my favorite being ones they’ve seemingly removed from the DLR NOS bathroom area. Boo hoo!). As you enter Pandora from the walkway leading from Tiffins; each one is unique with a different shape and/or color.

I also took note of the incredible way the artists perfectly blended the natural, and carefully chosen, plants with the imagined flora of Pandora. From the faux moss and lichens on the buildings and rocks, to the flowers tucked amongst the bromeliads, orchids, and ferns one has to work a bit harder to distinguish living and fantasy.

In an effort to keep the illusion of a primeval, other-worldly place, the Imagineers cleverly use mist, which also serves to keep the folks who choose to stand
in line for 6 hours cool.

What a 6 hour line looks like:

Another nice touch that I love in Pandora is the use of clear acrylics and other lesser-seen materials for the artistry that is Pandora. This allows for the translucency necessary for the “bioluminescence” effects at night. During the day it makes the flowers look like glass.

The designers certainly carried the Avatar storyline well throughout the entire area, but if one has never seen the film, I still think it’s a lovely space even without knowledge of the backstory. Of course, knowing the story would certainly enhance a trip through Pandora, though it’s not necessary in order to enjoy the obvious care and attention to detail here.

And now, keeping to my trend of brief, photo-filled updates I’ll let the images do the talking.

Continued in Pt. 2... (next post)

Last edited:
P is for: Picture Perfect Pandora, Pt. 2
Night time brings on an entirely new vibe in Pandora: quiet, peaceful, and no less visually stunning than during the day. It is a land that beckons the visitor to simply wander and discover new beauty on each winding trail while the sounds of trickling water, distant drumming, or yet undiscovered species' calls accompany you.

Photographer beware: Take a tripod or don't bother. ;)

If the temptation of a late night snack hits your hunger button, The Satu'li Canteen may satisfy. The rice bowls and bao buns are a nice change from the usual burgers and dogs found elsewhere. While not "amazing" they are a nice, light snack in the area.

I only tried the pork bao bun and it was good.

The tap amused me greatly!

To be honest, this is exactly how I as a German feel about the Germany pavilion in Epcot.

This is so fantastic to hear. While I fully realize the pavilions don't give an exact representation, it is good to know they are close enough to give an authentic "feel". :goodvibes

I don't know where my time has gone, you've slipped in two updates since I last visited your TR.

And now 2 more. Sorry, Alison, I just feel the need to finish this TR up, since I have another trip coming up soon and with going full time at work, and a change in my situation in general, I want to just be done with this one.

The landslide looked tragic. I can imagine how devastating it was as we were bombarded with the images of Carpenteria and I'm sure this one was 100 times worse, but the Carpenteria one happened in an affluent area and closed a major highway in CA so it was majorly covered.

I remember that one too very well. l think the magnitude of the loss of life was what struck me in this one.

You managed to find beauty everywhere. Love those pictures!

Thank you, Alison. I do love to photograph and hope to get to do more in a few months.

So did you go into the park again on the next day? How funny your embarrasing pirate moment! Hilarious!

Yep, not for very long, but I did. :)

I love that group! When I used to go to English Country Dancing, we'd dance to many of the same Irish tunes like "Mairi's Wedding" that this group might sing. So the jigs and reels are familiar and so fun. Maybe why I love Raglan Rd. so much too. While I can dance a bit, clearly singing (in front of others) isn't my forte. Although, my neighbors had a FUN karaoke party last summer and I held my own for a few. ;)

Me too.
Well, in MK, I mean.
DL is still too new for me to say I do anything on a regular basis.

I think the only thing I really LOVE in Tomorrowland is the COP, the WEDWay, and occasionally a spin on Buzz.

Don't worry! You'll graduate to the next level if you keep working at it!

But why would I bother. ;)

Maybe next time I go, I'll see if I can find them.
Must admit that I generally don't seek out the live music... but like to stop (if I have the time... sometimes I do, sometimes I don't) and have a listen.

Worth the time. :)

:laughing: Yes! That's exactly it!
"Yo ho, yo ho a pirate's life for me.... mumble, mumble, mumble, mumble... yo ho, yo ho..."

All together now!!!

:lmao:

:lmao: No! You didn't! You were singing right along all this time!

I know! That's what made this such a colossal (and hilarious) fail!

:laughing: Thanks for the visual!
Not sure if I could ask a total stranger to shoot that.
I thought maybe Alison might have, but I saw her post just above.

I have no shame.

Well, poop. Too bad.

I have yet to be introduced to Poutine. Another fry dish I hear is not to be missed. :confused3

The only thing I can think of is it is close to overflowing and maybe someone did that so no one would try it? :confused3

I guess, but I also imagine that it'd have taken a while to do. Maybe a mom needed to do big potty and let her 2 year old play so she could have some... time.?

Amazing Pandora pictures!! When I was there we were with a group of friends and I did not bother with many pictures. Just a couple to send back to Katharina.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment about AK in general and Pandora. To me AK is one of the best Disney parks I have visited and definitely the most interesting to me in Orlando.

I still haven’t seen Avatar and have no interest yet. But I fully enjoyed the land and didn’t feel like I was missing out. Just like millions enjoying Splash Mountain without knowing the movie. To me this is what themed environments are: they transport you somewhere else, whether you know the source material or not. And they help your own imagination to fill in the gaps in the story even if you only know part of it.

I showed the picture of that toilet to my dh and he shook his head and said it happens more than you would think and you would be surprised at what grown-ups try to do/or flush. He is a building engineer and where he works they are responsible for calling housekeeping (to clean) and the plumbers when that happens. The building where he works does not allow children and the majority of these people are making well over 6 figures.

I can't wait to see Pandora. We have 3 days at AK as it is my dd and dh's favorite park. We haven't been since Sept 2016 so we have lots of new things to see.

and even has a touch of understated naughty.

It does?!?!????

I can now say if I only had one day in Orlando, this is the park I’d choose.

Really!

Hmmm...

Nope. It's still not tops on my list. I'm going to have to go MK then Epcot before AK.

Some subtleties that I noticed in my wanderings were the lamp posts

::yes:: I noticed those too.

As you enter Pandora from the walkway leading from Tiffins; each one is unique with a different shape and/or color.

::yes::

I also took note of the incredible way the artists perfectly blended the natural, and carefully chosen, plants with the imagined flora of Pandora. From the faux moss and lichens on the buildings and rocks, to the flowers tucked amongst the bromeliads, orchids, and ferns one has to work a bit harder to distinguish living and fantasy.

I had no idea there were real flowers mixed in there!

the Imagineers cleverly use mist, which also serves to keep the folks who choose to stand in line for 6 hours cool.

I'm sorry. No ride is worth that!

What a 6 hour line looks like:

:sad2:

Another nice touch that I love in Pandora is the use of clear acrylics and other lesser-seen materials for the artistry that is Pandora. This allows for the translucency necessary for the “bioluminescence” effects at night.

Please tell me you looked that up.

if one has never seen the film, I still think it’s a lovely space even without knowledge of the backstory.

Agreed. Although knowing the backstory definitely improves the overall effect.

Those just look... scary to me.

Love this shot.

Night time brings on an entirely new vibe in Pandora

Definitely! Night time is what vaults Pandora from "interesting" to "fantastic".

Photographer beware: Take a tripod or don't bother. ;)

Yep. Unless you like blur.

Gorgeous.

Wow! What a great shot!

If the temptation of a late night snack hits your hunger button, The Satu'li Canteen may satisfy. The rice bowls and bao buns are a nice change from the usual burgers and dogs found elsewhere. While not "amazing" they are a nice, light snack in the area.

Ah. Nothing there really grabbed my attention. Glad to hear that it at least didn't taste bad. But you're not exactly selling it to me when you say they're not amazing.

I think the only thing I really LOVE in Tomorrowland is the COP, the WEDWay, and occasionally a spin on Buzz.

Hmmm.... yup. That's about it.

But why would I bother. ;)

Because one must always strive for excellence.

All together now!!!

:lmao:

:laughing:

I know! That's what made this such a colossal (and hilarious) fail!

:rotfl:

I have no shame.

:laughing: So it would seem!

I have yet to be introduced to Poutine. Another fry dish I hear is not to be missed. :confused3

Come up here and try the real stuff.
Extremely good chance you'll be disappointed otherwise.

Here's an analogy.
"I tried eggs Benedict and didn't like it."
"Really?"
"Yeah, although the powdered egg and instant holandaise might have had something to do with it."

I guess, but I also imagine that it'd have taken a while to do. Maybe a mom needed to do big potty and let her 2 year old play so she could have some... time.?

Hmmm... possible. We'll never know.

I'm okay with not knowing.

Amazing Pandora pictures!! When I was there we were with a group of friends and I did not bother with many pictures. Just a couple to send back to Katharina.

Thanks! I think this area, more than any other in WDW, except dark rides and the Headless Horseman of course, was the "hardest" to get any quality photos. I spent quite a long time trying to get a good batch- especially the night ones.

I absolutely agree with your sentiment about AK in general and Pandora. To me AK is one of the best Disney parks I have visited and definitely the most interesting to me in Orlando.

Which certainly says something about Joe Rhode and his team!

I still haven’t seen Avatar and have no interest yet. But I fully enjoyed the land and didn’t feel like I was missing out. Just like millions enjoying Splash Mountain without knowing the movie. To me this is what themed environments are: they transport you somewhere else, whether you know the source material or not. And they help your own imagination to fill in the gaps in the story even if you only know part of it.

I, to be pretty honest, wasn't enamoured with the movie or the story line, but think it did lend itself perfectly to a themed area. The sky was wide open with every facet- music, landscaping, etc... And you're right! I think for me POTC is a perfect example of that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!