The ABC's of Sauntering Through WDW- J is for: Just Like That, It's Judiciously Ended! (4/23)

Well, I did do a Fakesgiving dinner (I even escaped work an hour early to prepare it). We made pork chops in the slow cooker, scalloped potatoes, and chocolate tarts for dessert.
Sadly, I failed in my photographic evidence of said meal. It was a bit of a rush, since Brianna had a study night scheduled back at university and Katie had a math project to finish up for the next day. I had just enough time to clean up from supper and watch a little football before bed.

Good for you! :) I was wondering the other day if Canadians have a "traditional" dinner with special foods for their Thanksgiving or just a nicer meal? Pork chops and scalloped potatoes are ALWAYS a good choice!

Sounded like a busy day. :)

My team won today, so was happy! #GOARMY!!!

This reminds me of the lovely carriage ride we did from POR to POFQ a few years ago. I really fell in love with POFQ that night. It seemed so peaceful, and the smaller size is a bonus in my book. It's at the top of my list of moderates to try, and more likely than the deluxe Wilderness Lodge which is really at the top of my list, but financially speaking it's more of a "wish" list or "I just won the lottery" list.

I have not done that yet, but may some time. Sounds very relaxing! And yes, I would love to stay at WL someday too, but $$.

I really enjoyed the boat ride too. In fact, through a series of events (none bad) I ended up on that same boat ride from POR to DTD this past trip. I was very intrigued by those Tree Houses, but again something to go on my "I just won the lottery" list.

OH! I would love to hear that story! Huh.

I've only ever known one person to have ever stayed in them. Most looked empty to me. I wonder if they're overcharging for them.

My wife has found the other moderates we stayed at - CBR and POR - too big. I was OK with their size, but I can really see me enjoying a stay at POFQ. I've generally been strategic with room requests and splurging for the upgrade (like Preferred rooms at ASMu) to reduce the walking distance at the other resorts, so POFQ would fit nicely with that strategy. Are there preferred room categories at POFQ?

I don't think so, but tbh you seriously don't need one. You CAN get pool or garden view rooms, and those might be nice, but I tend to get back after dark and wouldn't even use the view. There isn't a room at that resort that requires a more than 7 or so minute walk to anything.

I really liked the POR BGM, which is similar, so can I imagine enjoying the jazz at POFQ. It's certainly a nice way to wind down after a hectic park day.

Yes, AND although I didn't see it, I know there's live music in the lounge each night.

I must admit to having never considered decorating my room window. But I do appreciate those who do.

Makes it so festive to come home to each evening.

We didn't have a single one at ASMu. Perhaps they are gone from values, but do appear in various forms and frequency at moderates and deluxe.

It is possible. Certainly not a necessity or expectation but wonderful when they show up.

I really wanted to try these and always meant to when I stayed at POR, but it just never happened, as things at Disney often go that way.

Yes, they do. But keeps stuff on our "someday list", so it's all good. I've never had a trip be ruined with not doing something on a list.

Were there acorns as well? My youngest and I had quite a bit of fun in the quiet pool next to our room at POR diving down to pick up the acorns (or I assume they were acorns). Funny how something so simple can make a lasting memory.

Yep! Little ones. I can just picture that. What a lovely picture you paint of family making memories. :lovestruc

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear of your back pain. I hope you can manage as best as you can each day.

I enjoyed your picture scavenger hunt. It reminds me of a reminds me of a "countdown calendar" I did for the girls before our 2013 trip (I must have had more time on my hands then, all those hours spent in airports travelling overseas...). I made folded cards with a "where in the World" picture on the front and they would unfold to find the answer. I had a lot of fun making it, and they enjoyed opening it each day. I can't remember how many days I did now. It may have been a whole month.

I was wondering the other day if Canadians have a "traditional" dinner with special foods for their Thanksgiving or just a nicer meal?
We do. Very similar to yours, traditional roast turkey, stuffing, gravy, masked potatoes, usually some type of pie for dessert. One thing we don't do (to my knowledge) is yams.
I my little part of the world, there is a traditional dinner that many enjoy called Jiggs Dinner. If you are so inclined, there is a short Wiki link and a longer (but nicely written) article on this meal. I don't really care for it but many others around here love it. If I am at my in-laws on a Sunday, this is our meal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiggs_dinner
https://www.newfoundlandlabrador.com/trip-ideas/travel-stories/jiggs-dinner-for-beginners

IRL, I likely have a herniated disc in C6 or C7, that is making life a bit of a living purgatory right now. My neck and left shoulder blade area are “on fire” most of the time and my arm and hand are tingly and numb if I sit, bend, turn, or look just, “wrong”… which also seems to be most of the time.

Geez, Liesa! Hope you can recover. When it rains, it pours.

It is only getting worse. I am really hoping to avoid spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery but know very well it could end up there.

Well, I know someone who has survived a spinal fusion lately.

(Speaking of rails, side note: Salem had a log train derail the other night, which is about the most excitement this sleepy little State Capitol ever gets.)

Like in The Fugitive? Cool!

‘F’ is up for debate, and I know at least one of you will just to be cantankerous, because I didn’t actually SEE Fantasmic. Instead, I got this quick shot of the billboard for what I think is a fair substitute.

Well, you've seen it before, right? And the billboard is cool.

She went from shop to shop to shop in search of a lion. A picture of a lion. A lion plush. The shadow of a lion. Someone’s fart that smelled like lion breath.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Fart jokes are always dependable.

“Excuse me, umm, I’m lookin…”

“No, we don’t have that here.”

<blank stare of confusion>

“Well, I thought, maybe just a pictu…”

“No, sorry, we don’t have anything like that.”

<musters up courage to try again while attempting to not get irritated>

“You see, maybe an old poster of the MGM…”

“Absolutely not, we have nothing like there here!”

Now go away, or I shall taunt you for a second time!

IRL, I likely have a herniated disc in C6 or C7, that is making life a bit of a living purgatory right now. My neck and left shoulder blade area are “on fire” most of the time and my arm and hand are tingly and numb if I sit, bend, turn, or look just, “wrong”… which also seems to be most of the time. :rolleyes2 I’ve tried high doses of NSAIDs which made me become a giant walking bruise (picture your 90-year old grandma whose hands have various random bruises covering them); I’ve tried Gabapentin (a med specifically made for nerve pain); I tried massage, Prednisone, muscle relaxants, heat, ice, and rest. It is only getting worse. I am really hoping to avoid spinal fusion or disc replacement surgery but know very well it could end up there. Remember Boys and Girls, body mechanics and making wise choices matter. I can think of far more entertaining ways to mess up your back. Meantime, it’s one day at a time, trying to keep my head above water while I make the best of this Season.

Oh, man. I'm really sorry to hear this, Liesa.
I hope you get some relief for that.

And now, let's get this TR back on the rails (Speaking of rails, side note: Salem had a log train derail the other night, which is about the most excitement this sleepy little State Capitol ever gets.)

So... congrats?

:rolleyes1

(or any material at all lately),

I'm in the same boat. I was away for work for a few days and didn't have much time for DISing at all.

‘A’ was a no-brainer. This park abounds with Art Deco.

Ah.

Many of the photos for the scavenger hunt were done on the fly, so are not the greatest quality. It’s was a game. Not art.

I disagree. I think you got some great shots!

Makes me wonder if the man in the photo is someone important or significant.

Awww... cute shot. :)

‘E’ was easy as I entered the Twilight Zone. This elevator worked for me pretty well, since it’s one of my top favorite rides and I never miss it.

Even though the elevator seemed to be out of order. Kept bouncing up and down. They need to fix that.

‘F’ is up for debate, and I know at least one of you will just to be cantankerous, because I didn’t actually SEE Fantasmic. Instead, I got this quick shot of the billboard for what I think is a fair substitute. I think points count for remembering the sign was even there at all.

Fair enough. It works for me. Just remembering the sign gets you points.

‘G’ gets double points because I like both of my grabs: Green Army Men and the Gas Pumps. YAY me!

Good ones. Gertie would've worked too. :)

This iconic, Haunted Hotel satisfied Letter ‘H’ for me. How could it not?

Hooray! Good choice!

I scream, you scream; it’s hotter than hell in Hollywood Studios, so let’s have some Ice Cream.

I think that's pretty funny! :laughing:

(Coincidentally, it was also my very first Mickey Bar. I know… blasphemic.)

Nah... I only had my first one a couple years ago. :)

Cute shot of you! :goodvibes

Bonus, for you if you realized or remembered I’m on Letter ‘J’.

I can't even remember what day it is and you expect me to remember that????

I approached the podium with a couple of CMs and asked, “Hey, are the Jawas here for trading?” “Umm, sorry, they haven’t been here for over 2 years.”.

What?????
Poop! I wanted to trade with them and was hoping to next time I visited.
Well.... shoot.

If that’s the key to open HTH, I want it.

Yeah. Then fix that elevator.

“Excuse me, umm, I’m lookin…”

“No, we don’t have that here.”

<blank stare of confusion>

“Well, I thought, maybe just a pictu…”

“No, sorry, we don’t have anything like that.”

<musters up courage to try again while attempting to not get irritated>

“You see, maybe an old poster of the MGM…”

“Absolutely not, we have nothing like there here!”

<wanders away completely baffled at the CM's behavior and enters one last shop with waning hope on the way out of the park>

Umm.... that's... not normal. Rude. Maybe he/she was having a bad day. :(

:laughing: You got your lion!

Besides that, I have a raging cold and feel like crap.

Oh, no. That too?
Man, you're jut not feeling very well, are you?

:hug:

Well, yes, but would argue that pumpkin, pecan, and berry pie are equally delicious but lack the annoying prep work with associated delciousness.

Not a fan of pumpkin or pecan... but I'll happily take berry!

And we've devolved to Dad Jokes.

Consider the source.

Okay, we have now entered the realms of philosophical discussions that detract from my cookie eating. But since you insist...

Yes.

Not knowing the difference is the key. Then again, I thought about it for as long as it took me to eat another bite of my choco-peppermint cookie so take that with a grain of salt. Er, sugar.

Interesting. Didn't take too long to decide.

But... now you know, so...

No, but I am sporting a nice old fashioned winter cold and can't breathe well. Not sure I'd rather have had E coli, given a choice.

You can get better from a cold on your own...

Disney does a bang up job at drawing one in pretty quickly. The resorts are no exception. reason #209 why staying on property is best.

::yes::

Early to late afternoon, yes? LOL! Been more than a couple months now... you expect me to remember that? ;) (yes, I have TR notes and could go find them, but... couch.)

:laughing:

And yes... couch. :lmao:

I'd sure like to hear it!!! :D

Move just a bit to your left and line up the front of the horses. :)

Easy to just lean back, take in a deep breath and relax, isn't it?

Absolutely. :goodvibes

Spoil sport.

But plenty of lichen and snow.

Me and my shovel are not liken' snow.

No, but you did! :lmao:

Perhaps I need to be concerned.

These were better. Hotter and fresher.

ooooohhhh.... yum!

Erm, umm, yes. :blush:

:rotfl:

The elegant do not sashay.

Not if they are unskilled. No.

And can easily cover up "sore" with a well- place saunter.

Totally agree. Anyone can cover up sore with a saunter.

I think there was a dermatologist that met me back at the room to make sure I wasn't covered in melanomas. Or cooties.

ew.

And that's the shortest distance based on type! Eep!

Yes. Imagine how long that sucker'd have to be on a hot day or in Mexico City!

:sad2:
You need to find a couple of burly dudes for that! I bet the furniture was bigger than you!

Yes.

Ugh... toooo early. And I know exactly how that feels.

It... hurts.

That one dude might give the Boardwalk clown a run for his money on the creepy scale.

You have a point.

Very well said! I think the boat ride to DTD makes the Port Orleans resorts just a shade better than the other moderates. It's a nice perk.

Completely agree. Although I also think the new gondola is going to give CBR a new status of "better". We'll see...

But...but...how will we know if there was a bed? Or a bathroom?

Steppe doesn't sleep on the floor anymore. And I try not to pee in the pool.

That is a big plus! So many resorts are so spread out.

It's almost THE reason I'd go back to POFQ alone.

I think I like the Disney version of New Orleans better than the actual New Orleans.

I think I do too. Cafe du Monde minus the smut.

Why wouldn't you want that?

Lung preservation?

I like this shot. Cool chandelier, too.

Thanks! I thought they did very well with the color palette and art media.

Glad you enjoyed it! I like the theme at POR better myself, but it's all personal taste.

Yes, that's for sure. I know others who ALWAYS go to CBR or CSR and love them equally as well.

All caught up! Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Believe it or not, for the first time in my life I celebrated american Thanksgiving with my family in Ohio. Kind of crazy that it has never happened before this year!

I did! And now Christmas is upon us! Hard to understand where the month went!

So..... how did you like it? Did you watch football or just eat and talk? Play games? Do tell!!

Your AP drama is insane, makes me glad I only have the one MDE account so that disney doesn't mess it up when I buy one in a few years.

I just hope it's over!! I REALLY don't want to show up in May to any unresolved issues. And yes, best to have one account for SURE!!

Coming from the Right(?) Coast, we do the same thing. Unless you have an Annual Pass (which you barely do, after reading the rest of the chapter :laughing: ), it's just too expensive a proposition to use a park-day for just a partial-day visit.

LOL!! "Right Coast". Not heard that one before. And yes, correct. No park day is worth a partial day unless it's like say Day #10 and you're on your way out.

The colors are perfect -- nicely done!

Thanks!!!

He drove me nuts, how you wouldn't realize he was doing a commercial until about halfway through it.

Well, okay. There was that.

A couple co-workers and I visited Cafe Du Monde in New Orleans and one of them left with powdered sugar all over his dark dress pants. So dangerous, but so worth it.

Oopsies. But I imagine there were no regrets. ;)

I LOVE that hotel. I haven't stayed at that many either but the ambiance here was really adorable.

Isn't it charming? Just love it!

Definitely one of the pluses of this place.

For sure!! After a long park day, nothing sucks worse than a long walk "home".

I agree! I also love how you paired it with a side of bacon. I can't think of a better breakfast.

Because bacon is life.

OK, I finally made it over here and read an update only to find that there are two more pages, so I'm going to reply to what I've read now since I might not make it back for a while.

And it seems you haven't. Everything okay in your world, Alison?

No bites. I've had a couple nibbles. Still working on the garages.

Dang! But it's been a few weeks... how about now?

I can't believe that they botched this so badly!

RIGHT?! Just how....?

No it shouldn't take that much effort.

Seems like an awful lot of money with too high a hassle factor in the equation.

I've never seen it on other TRs. Most people I follow end up staying at DVC resorts.

Well, shoot! I hadn't thought of that.

Awwww that's nice of that guest. And nice that the CMs complimented you too.

I think so too!

That's good to know. I've stayed at POR when it was Dixie Landings.

Now that's a LONG time ago!!

Well at least it was paused long enough for me to catch up.

And it was again. only have one day off this week, and I am WAY too far behind of everyone's threads, so will likely be stagnant again for a while.

Nope, it's still in it's box. I'm trying to figure out where I could set it up that the kittens can't get to it. And I prefer my wine still. Hey! It's after 5PM, time to pour a glass! :laughing:

LOL!! It's always 5:00 somewhere.

Liesa so sorry to hear about the herniated disc. Ouch. Hope it get better soon and no surgery is required

So sorry to hear that you're in pain. It sounds terrible, and makes the days longer when you're trying to live with a constant pain. I'll keep you in my thoughts as you continue to try to find a solution.

Thanks! About to have a conversation with the surgeon's office any minute to schedule and appt there. We shall see....

I loved the Hollywood Studios scavenger hunt. Or, at least, the first half you've shared. I thought the Jack was a great substitute for the absent Jawas, and I love the photo for ice cream.
I wouldn't have thought finding a lion would have been that difficult. Guess it added a surprise element to the game.

2nd part coming up soon-ish. Just so very little time these days to camp on the DIS. Work is heavy (our busy season as lots of folks get their elective surgery's before the calendar (and deductibles) turn over for the New Year, Christmas stuff, and generally feeling.... icky.

There were several surprises along the way, which actually made it a lot of fun to improvise the play along the way.

Ugh, your pain :( Both physical AND your AP pain which is ridiculous, but seriously I hope you get some relief soon. Gabapentin helped me in the past.

I am going to give the Gaba another try. My PCP suspects it was the combo of that and the Tr*m*dol that made me puke. Then again, also could have been a fluke and I could've been just sick at the wrong time.

*** Um, I have NO idea why the word Tr...a..dol would be banned?? ODD!

:confused3:confused3:confused3

I have never noticed that Chevy billboard in HS! Where is it?

It's on the right about halfway down Hollywood Blvd. Look WAY up. ;)

And I love that you decorated your window :goodvibes even better that someone left you a note!

Decorated windows are the BEST!

So sorry to hear about the pain you've been dealing with! That sounds horrible!

Thanks, Meghan! I'll keep y'all posted.

I love your photo scavenger hunt. :) A couple of favourites...

Glad you're enjoying it!

I'm sorry to hear of your back pain. I hope you can manage as best as you can each day.

Thanks, Jeff. Been a bit of a rough go lately with personal issues, this neck thing, a BAD cold, and a very heavy work load lately.

I enjoyed your picture scavenger hunt. It reminds me of a reminds me of a "countdown calendar" I did for the girls before our 2013 trip (I must have had more time on my hands then, all those hours spent in airports travelling overseas...). I made folded cards with a "where in the World" picture on the front and they would unfold to find the answer. I had a lot of fun making it, and they enjoyed opening it each day. I can't remember how many days I did now. It may have been a whole month.

That sure sounded fun!!! I think there are more than a few of "us" who've seen a drastic reduction in free time lately. Still good we can connect as we can though. I love your idea a lot and may employ it myself for my May trip. I likey!

We do. Very similar to yours, traditional roast turkey, stuffing, gravy, masked potatoes, usually some type of pie for dessert. One thing we don't do (to my knowledge) is yams.
I my little part of the world, there is a traditional dinner that many enjoy called Jiggs Dinner. If you are so inclined, there is a short Wiki link and a longer (but nicely written) article on this meal. I don't really care for it but many others around here love it. If I am at my in-laws on a Sunday, this is our meal.

Nice! Not that US'ers have the corner on the Holiday tradition market, but well, that particular dinner is pretty tasty! And I'm in the "love yams" camp. Mmm!!!

Your Jigg's Dinner is EXACTLY what most folks I know down here would eat on St. Patty's Day. I equally love that one. With loads of horseradish sauce.

So sorry to hear about injury. That is awful for anybody but especially for a nurse!

I think a lot of people don't realize that nurses do a fair amount of scut work. Heavy bags of laundry are regular thing. :( Shifting patients ain't no easy task.

Geez, Liesa! Hope you can recover. When it rains, it pours.

While this month has had some bright spots, in general it's been a bit tough. Bad cold, personal stuff, the neck thing, and a heavy work load has taken its toll.

Well, I know someone who has survived a spinal fusion lately.

She's my heroine!! I just got off the phone with the surgeon's office for the intake interview. Not sure what he'll recommend but should know in a week or so.

Like in The Fugitive? Cool!

OH yes, JUST like that!

Well, you've seen it before, right? And the billboard is cool.

Yes, once. Maybe I will again someday.

:rotfl2::rotfl2: Fart jokes are always dependable.

Happy to oblige. ;)

Now go away, or I shall taunt you for a second time!

Run away... run away!!!!

Oh, man. I'm really sorry to hear this, Liesa.
I hope you get some relief for that.

We shall see... a surgeon is reviewing my case this week.

So... congrats?

:rolleyes1

Well, yeah!! How often do you get to see train cars askew and off the rails?

I'm in the same boat. I was away for work for a few days and didn't have much time for DISing at all.

I don't see my situation easing up much this week. Busies season at work. Which is both good and bad. Great extra hours for $$$, but wears me out and very little DISTime.

Where'd ya go? See anything fun? Or all work and no play?

I disagree. I think you got some great shots!

THanks! :blush:

Makes me wonder if the man in the photo is someone important or significant.

Hmm, you may very well be right!

Even though the elevator seemed to be out of order. Kept bouncing up and down. They need to fix that.

You know, I wonder about their maintenance staff... been that way a long, long time.

Fair enough. It works for me. Just remembering the sign gets you points.

Good ones. Gertie would've worked too. :)

Hooray! Good choice!

I think that's pretty funny! :laughing:

I see what you did there!!!!

CLEVER!!!

Nah... I only had my first one a couple years ago. :)

There's just so many good things to try!

Cute shot of you! :goodvibes

Just me being pretty silly.

I can't even remember what day it is and you expect me to remember that????

So you also have CRS Syndrome.

What?????
Poop! I wanted to trade with them and was hoping to next time I visited.
Well.... shoot.

Yeah, just when Disney comes up with something great and interactive, poof! Gone.

Umm.... that's... not normal. Rude. Maybe he/she was having a bad day. :(

It was very rude. And frankly, sort of baffling. Like there were no personal skills in her DNA.

Oh, no. That too?
Man, you're jut not feeling very well, are you?

:hug:

No, but the good news is that I CAN breathe again. And it doesn't hurt to cough anymore.

So..... how did you like it? Did you watch football or just eat and talk? Play games? Do tell!!

Well, it had it's family drama as all visits to Ohio tend to do. The day before Thanksgiving my uncle came over to my grandparents house and was up on a ladder and tugged the cord of a leaf blower he had up on the roof and it came flying down and beaned him in the head. My mom was freaking out as he had a gash on his forehead that was bleeding quite a bit. I told him I thought it needed stitches but what do I know....

The actual holiday was much like Thanksgiving up here. In the morning I kept my grandfather company (he has Alzheimer's) watching the Macy's parade while my mom and grandma got the meal ready. My uncle, aunt and cousin came over around noon and my grandmother also invited a church friend over (to force my uncle to act like a normal person :laughing: That was only partly successful). The food was all delicious and afterwards we sat in the living room and talked for awhile until my uncle, aunt and cousin went off to my aunt's family for their second meal of the day. My uncle caused some unrest over the carving of the turkey.... My mom had asked him the day before if he wanted to carve the turkey since my grandfather is unable to do so nowadays and my uncle did not say yes or no. Since he didn't bother to answer my mom went ahead and carved the turkey before it got served on the table. My uncle then got annoyed as he said he was going to carve the turkey! :confused3:rolleyes: That was the end of the drama thank goodness, probably because the church friend was there! :laughing: Otherwise the day was very pleasant.

I went out Black Friday shopping which I don't think I will ever do again. Way too crowded, it was almost anxiety provoking. :laughing:

Not a fan of pumpkin or pecan... but I'll happily take berry!

Berry works. WARM with a tad of vanilla ice cream. Leave the crust on the plate, and you're set.

Consider the source.

Noted.

Interesting. Didn't take too long to decide.

But... now you know, so...

But, the real question is would YOU?

And yes... couch. :lmao:

My couch is the most comfortable place I can be right now.

Move just a bit to your left and line up the front of the horses. :)

But if I'd been TOO front on, I'd have gotten ONE horse in my photo. NO?

Me and my shovel are not liken' snow.

Well, hopefully it'll be a light year for you.

Totally agree. Anyone can cover up sore with a saunter.

And everyone should!

Not if they are unskilled. No.

I disagree. There were 3 classes, and the 3rd Class, the bourgeoisie, were highly skilled. Much moreso, probably, than the Nobility whose only "skill" was feasting and carousing. Anyone can do that. So, if you're insinuating that "lower classes" saunter, then bring it. I'd take a skilled (handsome) commoner over a privileged aristocrat any day.

Liesa so sorry to hear about the herniated disc. Ouch. Hope it get better soon and no surgery is required
\

The MRI showed the disc isn't herniated, but there is "severe" degenerative disease with "severe" narrowing of the foramina and bone spurs. We'll see what the surgeon who is reviewing my case says this week.

Yeah I'm getting a bit concerned about this after reading more about CBR and how big it is.....

I'm concerned too. That's where my ressie is for next Sept.... :( I am hoping the new gondola makes a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter