The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

I would love the money to repeatedly see shows. Unless it's TKTS or something like Hamilton or bringing family/friends who haven't seen a show or a revival, it's 2 maximum.

Just found out Once on this Island is opening in November and I wanna go see it.

DS's best friend saw "Fiddler on the Roof" every night. But she got to see it every night because she was one of the musicians. Does that count? Come to think of it, the musicians don't have the best view.

So far my list of shows Ive seen on Broadway (including shows in NYC that are considered off-broadway as well)

(Show - how many times seen)

Phantom of the Opera - 3
Wicked - 3
Les Miserables - 2
Chicago - 1
Lion King - 1
Aladdin - 1
Sunset Boulevard - 1 ( with Glenn Close in the lead role)
Avenue Q - 1
Naked Boys Singing - 1

Let's hear it for Naked Boys Singing!! I LOVED that show...Can't remember a single song, though:rolleyes:

Let's hear it for Naked Boys Singing!! I LOVED that show...Can't remember a single song, though:rolleyes:
Somewhere around here I think I still have the soundtrack for that show LOL When I play it for others who have never heard it, they never know what to think of it.

I found out that someone I know saw "Hedwig" 12 times. But he warned me "It's NOT a Disney-type show".

If we're including OFF Broadway, then I've seen Wicked and Phantom in Philly.
The Off Broadway ones I listed were still in NYC just over another street or two from Broadway.

An Off-Broadway Theatre is defined as: a professional venue in New York City with a seating capacity between 100 and 499. These theatres are smaller than Broadway theatres, but generally larger than Off-Off Broadway theatres, which seat fewer than 100.

If we're including OFF Broadway, then I've seen Wicked and Phantom in Philly.

To add to this, if we are adding shows seen in other cities Id have to include BLAST!, Elf, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, Rent, A Gentlemen's Guide to Love and Murder, and Book of Mormon all in Hershey PA. And I was in a local community theatre production a few years ago of the Rocky Horror Show.

I don't think I could emotionally handle Next to Normal 11 times. I could barely make it through once on youtube. I love it though!

The first time I saw Next to Normal was in a very small black box theater that seated 60. The actors were all people I knew, including DS's voice teacher as Diana and kids from his theater group in the teen roles. I was sitting in the front row, which made it feel like I was actually sitting in the families' kitchen. It was pretty disturbing. I'm not sure why, but the content and the fact that I was sitting so close made me feel really uncomfortable. I saw it again last month in a regular theater and I didn't know a single actor in the show. It was much more enjoyable. I could really concentrate on the amazing music and the performances. It's a great show, but not for the faint of heart!

The first time I saw Next to Normal was in a very small black box theater that seated 60. The actors were all people I knew, including DS's voice teacher as Diana and kids from his theater group in the teen roles. I was sitting in the front row, which made it feel like I was actually sitting in the families' kitchen. It was pretty disturbing. I'm not sure why, but the content and the fact that I was sitting so close made me feel really uncomfortable. I saw it again last month in a regular theater and I didn't know a single actor in the show. It was much more enjoyable. I could really concentrate on the amazing music and the performances. It's a great show, but not for the faint of heart!
Definitely not! It's my dd's favorite, she has a tattoo of the show. We were lucky enough to see it the first time with Alice Ripley, my dd cried for at least 30 minutes after (not including the ugly tears we both sobbed during the show). We have seen in a couple more times in smaller productions, both still amazing with horrible ugly crying.

I generally only see a show once on Broadway, but sometimes I will see it again on tour. The exceptions were Les Miz; once long ago, and twice more recently because I wanted to see both Alfie Boe and John Owen-Jones as Jean Valjean, not because I particularly liked the show.

The only other show I saw more than once was The Color Purple, but two of those performances were kind of special. I saw Heather Headley's last performance as Shug Avery, and I saw the final performance of the show.

So the BF dragged me back to War Paint on Friday night. The first time (back in May) we sat in the second-to-last row of the mezz and even from that far away, I found the show to be OK. Both Christine and Patti were in great voice and I enjoyed it enough the first time. Friday night we were in the second row of the orchestra and as great as they still were, both women seemed tired and definitely playing it safe with the vocals. I found the show MUCH harder to sit through this time around - but the bf was ecstatic to see Patti that close - and I'll admit I was too. Christine's acting in "PINK" brought me to tears. I wish the rest of the performance had had that kind of energy. On our way out I overheard someone saying that this was her 13th time seeing the show. I liked it, but I barely made it through two.

I'm super sad that I didn't get back to Great Comet before it closed. I truly loved the experience I had back in February and after seeing Dear Evan Hansen in July, I'm very sad Comet didn't take home the big prize this year.

I agree with you about War Paint. The only time the show really came alive for me was the final scene when they actually interact--if only the rest of the show had that spark, instead of being just two parallel stories. But it is always a thrill to see such divas on stage.

The Off Broadway ones I listed were still in NYC just over another street or two from Broadway.

An Off-Broadway Theatre is defined as: a professional venue in New York City with a seating capacity between 100 and 499. These theatres are smaller than Broadway theatres, but generally larger than Off-Off Broadway theatres, which seat fewer than 100.

I have to disagree but that's another conversation

It's been awhile since I've been to NYC and stalked "affordable" tickets. Are there any good websites for discounted tickets?

Also... rush tickets. Come from Away has them for $38 at the box office, day-of. If box office opens at 10am, when should I get in line?

Has anyone seen Terms of My Surrender? DH is intrigued. I'm eyeing Miss Saigon. Opinions? We can only do one show this trip because we are seeing Paul McCartney on Friday night!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!