The Broadway show thread where we discuss all things Broadway

Saw it a few weeks before it won the tony and again last week (Dear Evan Hansen). The whole cast is currently the original except for Ben Platt, his replacement is very good.

I agree papermill has been a bit off.... I’m trying to make my final call on 3 or 4 shows for next season. I actually enjoyed the shows this year even if they weren’t as good as they could be. Honeymooners was ok, I liked the political one more then I expected and I’m looking forward to the sting I mean Harey Connick jr alone makes the season worth it! I do think it would serve them better to do only 2 premiers, a holiday show, and 2 major hits. But I don’t work there so what do I know!

This! This is how their season should run. Unless you have a season of shows that are seriously being primed for Broadway, don't drown the season in never-before-seen theatre. I wouldn't mind it as much if Paper Mill didn't do such a lackluster job of selling new shows to us. I feel like I go into every new premier not knowing what to really expect from them.

Kristolyn Lloyd from the original cast is done. Her final performance was March 11. She played Alana Beck. She was replaced by Phoenix Best.

I saw it on March 10th so I still saw the whole original cast.

But looks like everyone else is staying till May at least.

I saw it on March 10th so I still saw the whole original cast.

But looks like everyone else is staying till May at least.

I saw it [Dear Evan Hansen] with original cast. I thought Mike Faist was amazing. But Michael Park was super nice when we Stage Doored.

I saw it [Dear Evan Hansen] with original cast. I thought Mike Faist was amazing. But Michael Park was super nice when we Stage Doored.

I think everyone was fabulous, I saw it back right before it won the tony and again last week.

It was just as good the second time at least for me.

Sorry I have not been back to report on Frozen. We saw it 2 weeks ago today and the six of us all LOVED IT. The costumes, sets, performances, songs....all wonderful. The only thing we didn't like was that they did not have the trolls but had some sort of ancient mythical mountain people instead which were draped in moss like robes/loin cloths. We felt the leader of the mountain people, while having a great voice, was very sinister looking. I think I would much prefer they had some sort of actual rock trolls which I am sure they could do since they do it onboard DCL with their Frozen show. I think it would have been cool to see the trolls "tumbling" onto stage.

They recommend it for kids over six. There were some kids there under that age but at least in our area they were well behaved for an 8:00 pm show. Of course many were wearing their Elsa or Anna dresses.

We went to Carmine's for dinner which is right up the street from the theatre and we also parked in a garage right on 44th (used ParkWhiz.com). I reserved and paid for the spot in advance at the website and it made it so easy.

I'll post some pics of the merchandise.....I had to get the one Kristoff like jacket that was just so soft!!!

View attachment 309078 View attachment 309079
View attachment 309080 View attachment 309081 View attachment 309083 View attachment 309082

So the small tumbler you could buy with a drink (soft or alcoholic). They also had a larger one. The pin was given out if you bought something. The Elsa and Anna dolls were very cute!

MJ
THANKS SO MUCH for posting! HAPPY to hear that you ENJOYED the show!:banana: We took advantage of the opportunity to buy the Frozen Ornament for $25 when we ordered the tickets, supposedly not sold day of show. Parking sounded very easy also.:goodvibes Can't wait! How was Carmines by the way???:confused: Thanks in advance!:wave:

Late comer to this thread - my wife and I are season ticket holders in Cleveland to our Broadway Series, in our second year (just renewed for a third). This year's series has been a little weak, IMO, with clunkers (again, IMO) like Love Never Dies and, most recently, Rent. I've loved Rent in the past, but this tour seems a little off from previous years - that, or it's just lost some of it's impact in recent years. We get Hamilton this summer and have Aladdin in May, though, so looking forward to those.

Next year's season looks pretty good - we have classics like Hello Dolly, Les Miz and Miss Saigon, plus Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away and School of Rock (which we've seen with our boys on Broadway).

Michael Park is super nice. My daughter saw it last July and her friend knows him from an acting school that I guess he ran a workshop in or is very involved in. She mentioned her friend to Michael Park at the stage door and he was super nice to her and chatted with her for a bit. Her friend saw it different day and Michael Park brought him back stage to meet a few people (not Ben lol)

Late comer to this thread - my wife and I are season ticket holders in Cleveland to our Broadway Series, in our second year (just renewed for a third). This year's series has been a little weak, IMO, with clunkers (again, IMO) like Love Never Dies and, most recently, Rent. I've loved Rent in the past, but this tour seems a little off from previous years - that, or it's just lost some of it's impact in recent years. We get Hamilton this summer and have Aladdin in May, though, so looking forward to those.

Next year's season looks pretty good - we have classics like Hello Dolly, Les Miz and Miss Saigon, plus Dear Evan Hansen, Come From Away and School of Rock (which we've seen with our boys on Broadway).

You are going to adore Hello Dolly with Betty Buckley. She is such a powerhouse!

The PNC Broadway Lights Season in Charlotte NC for 2018-2019 was announced this morning. While there are some awesome shows, my big hopeful "Come From Away" was not included. Pretty disappointed about that. There is one REALLY unknown piece, "Matthew Bourne's Cinderella" Anyone heard of, or seen it? The other show that is unfamiliar to me is "A Bronx Tale." Have you seen it? Did you like it? If you didn't, why not? I have to pick 8 shows from: A Bronx Tale, Cinderella, Dear Even Hanson, Hello Dolly, The Band's Visit, Miss Saigon, Falsettos, A Christmas Story and Aladdin. Many of these are an absolute given...can you guess?

The PNC Broadway Lights Season in Charlotte NC for 2018-2019 was announced this morning. While there are some awesome shows, my big hopeful "Come From Away" was not included. Pretty disappointed about that. There is one REALLY unknown piece, "Matthew Bourne's Cinderella" Anyone heard of, or seen it? The other show that is unfamiliar to me is "A Bronx Tale." Have you seen it? Did you like it? If you didn't, why not? I have to pick 8 shows from: A Bronx Tale, Cinderella, Dear Even Hanson, Hello Dolly, The Band's Visit, Miss Saigon, Falsettos, A Christmas Story and Aladdin. Many of these are an absolute given...can you guess?

I personally love A Bronx Tale. I've seen it seven times now. While it isn't everyone's cup of tea, it's certainly worth a watch, especially if you liked the movie. The score is so much fun and the book is pretty funny.

I SAW MEAN GIRLS ON BROADWAY YESTERDAY!!!

First things first: I love this cast and you will, too. Barrett is a phenomenal Janis and Erika is just as sweet as can be as Cady. Also loved Kate Rockwell (Karen Smith), Cheech Manohar (Kevin G), and Grey Henson (Damian).

The show itself changes a lot of aspects from the movie, but in doing so, it corrects the politics and problematic aspects of it while maintaining that humor and edge. It compliments the movie really well. I absolutely adored the music. So clever and well done. As I expected it to be, it's a lot like Heathers, so if you enjoyed Heathers, you're going to love Mean Girls!

**One thing to note is that I saw the show with two friends who had seen it five times in it's DC run. So for anyone else who saw it in DC: I've been told this is a completely different show now. The entire opening and closing have been reworked, seven or eight songs in total have been cut, added, or rewritten, and the Kevin G/Gretchen subplot no longer exists (which I'm told was really funny and sweet). They're definitely reworking a lot through previews, the first preview was 3 hours and 15 minutes long or something crazy like that and when I saw it yesterday, it was down to 2 hours and 40 minutes.

I saw a trailer for the most recent Rent tour and it looked really terrible. Kind of devoid of soul, actually. The show was always my favorite growing up but I agree it has lost impact recently, for whatever reason. We all need a break from Rent.

THANKS SO MUCH for posting! HAPPY to hear that you ENJOYED the show!:banana: We took advantage of the opportunity to buy the Frozen Ornament for $25 when we ordered the tickets, supposedly not sold day of show. Parking sounded very easy also.:goodvibes Can't wait! How was Carmines by the way???:confused: Thanks in advance!:wave:

Carmine's was great. My son and DIL also preordered the ornament (sorry I don't have a pic). The Frozen jacket is a limited edition of 600. How you enjoy the show as well!!!

MJ

I saw a trailer for the most recent Rent tour and it looked really terrible. Kind of devoid of soul, actually. The show was always my favorite growing up but I agree it has lost impact recently, for whatever reason. We all need a break from Rent.

Devoid of soul is a good way to put it - the show was fine and all, it just lacked soul.

Devoid of soul is a good way to put it - the show was fine and all, it just lacked soul.
We saw the tour also, and while it wasn't as great as the last time I saw it (of course not, because I saw Adam and Anthony), most of the cast was really good. Except, and a huge except, the guy who played Roger. He was just not right for the part, he didn't have the passion or the charm that part requires, so he really killed my favorite character.

We have Rent coming here in May. I have seen it twice before and really enjoyed it. I'm bummed to know it might not be so great this time.

They just announced what's coming for next year. We get Hamilton, Chicago (again! we just had it last year), A Bronx Tale, Waitress (which I'm really excited for!), Fiddler on the Roof, and Miss Saigon. We are subscribers so we will be seeing those for sure. Then there is always an extra play, which you can pay extra for, and next year is Les Miserables. I have seen that the most of any play and would definitely see it again, but not sure if we will pay the extra money. I wish it was included and there was no Fiddler on the Roof. But what can you do.

Next month we have An American in Paris. I'm looking forward to that one :goodvibes has anyone seen it?

We have Rent coming here in May. I have seen it twice before and really enjoyed it. I'm bummed to know it might not be so great this time.

They just announced what's coming for next year. We get Hamilton, Chicago (again! we just had it last year), A Bronx Tale, Waitress (which I'm really excited for!), Fiddler on the Roof, and Miss Saigon. We are subscribers so we will be seeing those for sure. Then there is always an extra play, which you can pay extra for, and next year is Les Miserables. I have seen that the most of any play and would definitely see it again, but not sure if we will pay the extra money. I wish it was included and there was no Fiddler on the Roof. But what can you do.

Next month we have An American in Paris. I'm looking forward to that one :goodvibes has anyone seen it?

We had American in Paris on last year's schedule. My wife took her mom to that one - they seemed to like it.

Waitress was excellent! We had an added bonus as Sara Barellis (sp?) was actually at the opening weekend here for the show and came on stage for the encore with the cast. :)

Matthew Bourne's stock in trade has been reinventing shows as contemporary ballet pieces.

If I’m not mistaken ( and I may well be),Rent is a non equity tour this time around.

Hartford announced the other day. We knew Hamilton and The Lion King were coming. I’m not a season subscriber, so I probabl6 won’t be able to see Hamilton. That’s ok, though, because I enter the Broadway lottery several times a week, and I know I’ll win eventually. I think I’m up over 125 tries now.

Anyhow, we are getting in addition to the two mentioned above The Play That Goes Wrong, Fiddler on the Roof, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Waitress, Come from Away, The Sound of Music, Rent, and Beautiful. I’m still waiting for the smaller town next to me to announce. They usually have far fewer shows. It’s not likely, but I’ve got my fingers crossed for Dolly or Dear Evan Hansen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter