The DIS Campers Thanksgiving 2021 Home Foodie Thread

Spencer, my MiL used to make a jello, marshmallow cream, mini-marshmallows, walnut, and chopped cherry concoction called Angel Delight. She always made a ton of it and there was always most of it left at the end of the meal.

Well we survived our turkey meal and it was fun gathering with family or phoning those who couldn't make it. It won't surprise you to know I had pies left over. My niece made an apple pie and dad made a rhubarb pie so we had tons of desserts (I'm not complaining, mind you). But I put the fresh cranberry sauce on my slice of NY cheesecake and it was FAB-u-lous.

Today is the day I hang the big 5' LED wreath on the front of the house and DW/DD put up the trees. Saturday is the Iron Bowl (Bama at Auburn - it's the CBS afternoon game) so that morning I'll get some tailgate/finger food for our viewing party. Sunday after church I think me and DW will go see the latest Ghostbusters movie that @tiggerdad recommended.

EDIT: Sunday afternoon is high cost movie ticket prices. Prolly hold off till Super-Saver Tuesday.

Bama Ed

PS - did anybody score some big Black Friday online/in-person deals this morning? Is the Friday morning shopping spree still a thing? :confused3

Wow, Ed… that is a magazine/menu picture worthy cheesecake slice! I realize that we are very close to NY up here (and I, like you, love that cherry stuff on cheesecake), but it seems like cheesecake with cranberry like that SHOULD be a thing on Cape Cod!

so we are not PIE people, DW makes a pumpkin pie and the pumpkin rolls. She has to make one for all our kids (6) family's , My mother, (passed 5 years ago) used to try to steal others rolls, it was a running joke and i remember it so fondly of her, she was so full of fun before dementia set it in, long life though, she made to to 88)

p.jpg

Okay, today was my turn in kitchen.

Dessert was a banana pudding, simple recipe with condensed milk, pudding, cool whip, and cookies.
20211125_084042.jpg

Spiral cut ham.
20211126_115433.jpg

Dinner rolls ready for oven
20211126_115439.jpg

Sweet potatoes, shoepeg corn casserole, mac and cheese
20211126_115602.jpg

Dressing
20211126_115606.jpg
Obviously the Cajun butter injected fried turkey and cranberry sauce.
20211126_115503.jpg

Went very well.

That's a lot of delicious looking food, there, Michael. Hope there are leftovers to sustain you through the Iron Bowl today.

ED

PS - did anybody score some big Black Friday online/in-person deals this morning? Is the Friday morning shopping spree still a thing? :confused3

I'm at my in-laws. Didn't manage to shoot any food shots, but it was a good, typical Midwestern Thanksgiving fare: turkey, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, canned cranberry sauce for FIL and SIL, green bean casserole, and a few Jello salads.

As for Black Friday shopping, my BIL and FIL woke up at the crack of dawn and set out for Menard's to buy a few things, mainly a gun safe for BIL's new house. DW and I were the last to wake up in the house around 9. They came back and showed us what they bought and had tales of fighting off throngs of people. I also have had an eye out for a gun safe so we decided to head over to see what was left. They still had 30 some odd of the on sale gun safes and we also scored a few other sale items that were plentiful in stock. The store was busy, but nothing absurd.

Upon our return, FIL said something to the effect of, "I would enjoy our purchases much more if I didn't have to get up so early."

For the record, this might be the second time I've ever shopped in person on Black Friday, too many people for my taste. The gun safe, on sale for $200 with a $100 rebate was worth the perceived pain of dealing with the general public.

Saw this and had to try it. But don't know what to call it.

Chocolate beer? A dessert beer? :confused3

Got to try some regular Yuengling Porter next to their Yuengling Hershey Porter. The regular has a finish/aftertaste of coffee or chocolate. But the Hershey Porter has a dark chocolate smell to your nose before you even drink it. And it's DEFINITELY in the finish. ::yes::

I've heard of dessert wines but never dessert beer. But if there ever was one, it's chocolate.

Cheers! :drinking1

Bama Ed

No pictures (don't know how to download to here). I went to the kids(Seguin, Tx) late Wed afternoon. I was told to bring the cornbread dressing, deviled eggs. I also took 4 small pies (school sale) Apple,Peach, Cherry & pumpkin - they were delicious. Our son smoked the turkey & ham, had smashed potatoes & sweet potato casserole, green beans, rolls, turkey gravy. cranberry sauce. I was back home by 5:30. No left overs to enjoy.

No photos here. I did not do much of any cooking for thanksgiving, we went to visit Melissa's parents. My contribution was munchie preparations around 11am, a nice spread of cheeses and meats.

We did get to see baby Cora, and it was the first time for me. She is only 3 months old, so pretty much ate, was up for an hour, down for an hour and repeat. Though it was great to see her and hear her giggle.

Hoping all had a wonderful and amazing Thanksgiving!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter