The DIS Fit: 2019 thread. Join us in the New Hopes and Goals thread.

This is way off topic for this thread but I feel like I've had a workout or two over this. I was booking hotels this morning for our trip to Texas. First reservation, Best Western San Antonio, no issues. Second reservation, Best Western Austin, price seemed high. Different web page than the previous Best Western reservation I just did but I thought OK they are all independently owned. Put in all my info read through things (I'm really careful when I make reservations because I want to maintain flexibility) then the confirmation page pops up and I have booked a non-refundable, prepaid room on a site I've never heard of before.

Ok we are going anyway, I pay for it now, alright. Then I went on trip advisor and read the reviews of the reservation company I just booked with. Horror stories about scams etc. People getting to the hotel and the hotel never having heard of them etc. Company booked with not forwarding payment to the hotel. I'm now panic striken. It's 2 nights (not the end of the world) but I hate to make mistakes. I want all my ducks in a row when I travel.

Call the credit card company to see if they can put a stop to all this (1.5 hours on the phone, a lecture from their disputes people) and no they can't do anything until it all falls apart when I'm on holiday. Then I can file a dispute and get my money back after the fact. Meanwhile I will have to pay big $$$ for another room.

I'm thoroughly stressed at this point. Sent DH off to visit his parents on his own because I'm too wound up. He leaves I keep stressing. Then I decide to heck with it I'll just call the hotel directly and see if they got the reservation from this company. CC company said it will likely take a few days to come through. I call, they look it up, they have the reservation and that it is listed as prepaid. All is good (or is it, I still have to wait until they forward the payment to the hotel, of course I haven't paid my CC yet so there's that too).

I may book another room (on the hotel website) in DH name that I can cancel two days before our arrival date just to make sure we have a room.

I don't do well when things take a sidestep from the norm. Thanks for letting me vent.

ottawamom
Hi Hon
I am sorry you are going through this,,I know I get worried when booking a new place.
This is just me but I would have a back up hotel,,,just in case,,but then I'm a worry wart.
I am glad you called the credit card company because now the call will be noted and on file.
This will help you should you end up making a claim.
Two weeks ago I realized that I ...... uhhhh messed up my upcoming holiday,,,,I got the return date wrong and needed an extra day at OKW resort,,,,nothing available.....panic mode,,,Now for one night I have to check out of OKW and then check in at SSR (Saratoga Springs Resort) and check in is after 4pm,,so my whole last day is resort roomless.Youngest son says...." mom why would you do that"?...well sunshine I didn't do on purpose!
Holiday planning can sometimes go a bit crazy...................................:tilt:

Thinking of you
Hugs
Mel

I called the hotel again and they sent me a copy of the confirmation that was sent to to Expedia showing payment on Amex. Funny thing was I somehow ended up on reservations . com when I thought I was on Best Western. I spoke at length with the person at the front desk and he says as far as he can see everything should be fine. He suggested I call back in August and confirm again but he doesn't see a problem. I can make a reservation under DH name using my CAA card and we can cancel that 2 days before we arrive. I may do that. We'll see how I sleep tonight. DS says it will be fine he books on Expedia all the time. This wasn't with Expedia though it was with one of their subsidiaries.

Most people who had issues with this internet company had problems when they tried to get their money back/cancel the reservation. I won't be doing that I just need to know I'll have a room when I get there. Best Western seems to have reassured me of that as best they can. We'll see.

I'm so careful when I make reservations online, I don't know how this happened.

Debbie you were right,,,,,,
The Bees Knees say ....................... 6500 is just fine,,,,
Happy Sunday!
Hugs
Mel
Knee_Bees_Swing_large.png

Ok I was looking forward to weekly updates from my fellow mover and shakers.

It has been an up and down week for me walking wise. I managed to walk the dog each day and I got in a treadmill walk 5 of 7 days. I've been drinking way too much pop but I do that when I'm stressed.

I can't wait for the messy part of Spring to come and go so I can get walking outside again. How did your week go?

Well ..... how 'bout "stable" ? Not terrific, not terrible, just a meh week. I'm not sure what my real step count was most days because unless I'm in a Carrot challenge i leave my phone on a flat surface instead of tucked in my pocket (no need for them to keep jacking my threshold up :P ) but I did make an effort to cut down on what our kids used to call "lazy-bones load" -- you know, pick up everything possible to limit the number of trips up & down the stairs.

Food? Well that's not been so good since my sleep has been lousy which translates to eating more since i can't let the tummy get too empty when I'm awake. Don't drink anything other than water or tea with some honey so i can't cut anything out there.

I've been debating putting a question out here for fear that it's a tad more than TMI so I'll tuck it into a spoiler and you can read at your own peril :P
Does anyone else have a bunch of "excess" skin that just kinda hangs around? You know, like chicken wings but EVERYWHERE. I look like some kind of deflated balloon and while the appearance of all of that extra flab is embarrassing it's the pain that it causes that bothers me. I don't know if i can explain it but if i don't wear something to hold everything tightly together it HURTS! So that means wearing worse than Granny panties, more like ugly maternity underwear but worse. My jeans need to be made of sort of like spandex but not (Get them from Northern Reflections and really love the look and feel) and i can't even think of wearing shorts unless they come almost to my knees. I'm dreading our trip to Mexico because i don't know how i can wear a bathing suit?

I just got my Fitbit report. My steps were up a smidge, :thumbsup2 and I made the 5500 every day. It doesn't know how many days I was busy walking in place before I went to bed. :rotfl:I know that my food was NOT my strong point last week. Something to work on this week. Exercise was 4 of the planned 3 days, and I didn't count the 15 minute video we did on Saturday when Little Miss declared she wanted to do "up and down" (weight training-the first time she used oranges when Grandpa and I were exercising....then she found the 1 pound weights. :yay:

Monday check in
I am averaging 6500 or more walk/dance steps a day ,,,7 days a week,,weekend are definitely harder for me with the weather outside being so awful.
My awareness of my activity level has definitely increased.
My mental health is going to get a boost next week ---love my sons but need a break away every once in awhile.
Slow and steady.
Hugs
Mel

Love the swimsuits on that website. I might have to order one even though they are in US $ and I'll likely get dinged with duty. Amazing selection.

I believe you can switch it to CAD. Not positive as I haven't purchased from there though. I just bought a few bathing suits from an online shop that I believe is in China... however they are super cute, pretty inexpensive, and I paid for tracking and insurance so they don't get lost.

AFM - I am doing ok. Looking forward to March break next week and the forecasted milder weather. I do hope it doesn't all melt at once and flood things. I'm trying to keep up the steps this week, but sleep has been scarce, kiddo woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep... so I'm a bit tired today. Hoping tonight goes better! Eating wasn't too bad today, I made a nice stew in the crockpot that was ready when we got home. Very yummy! And leftover for my lunch tomorrow. He gets pancakes at school. I'll send him something to go with it that is a little less sugar/simple carby though!

He was invited to join a special class, once a week with some other boys who have "problems", it's supposed to be aimed at improving social interactions, anger management stuff. He says he doesn't want to go. I think he should. Trying to figure out how to convince him it's a good idea. I thought just the fact he would miss one class a week with a teacher he doesn't like would do it but apparently it will require more effort on my part.

Thanks for the nudge, ottawamom! I've been bad about updates.

Activity:
Distance: 41.1 km
Steps: 59 373
Calories burned: 4064

Nutrition: right now I can't remember, which means I probably haven't done a great job of cooking :rotfl:
Food highlights:

Goals for next week:
I've gotten a bit bad about getting enough sleep. I'm feeling completely drained most days. So my hope for this week is that I can slow down a bit and try to get to sleep even 30 minutes earlier than I have been.

It looks like I'm supposed to see some less bad weather this week, so hopefully that'll make it easier to get out for some walks here and there. And we're getting a bit more daylight, which makes such a difference too. Here's to another good week, everyone!

I believe you can switch it to CAD. Not positive as I haven't purchased from there though. I just bought a few bathing suits from an online shop that I believe is in China... however they are super cute, pretty inexpensive, and I paid for tracking and insurance so they don't get lost.

AFM - I am doing ok. Looking forward to March break next week and the forecasted milder weather. I do hope it doesn't all melt at once and flood things. I'm trying to keep up the steps this week, but sleep has been scarce, kiddo woke up at 3:30 AM and couldn't get back to sleep... so I'm a bit tired today. Hoping tonight goes better! Eating wasn't too bad today, I made a nice stew in the crockpot that was ready when we got home. Very yummy! And leftover for my lunch tomorrow. He gets pancakes at school. I'll send him something to go with it that is a little less sugar/simple carby though!

He was invited to join a special class, once a week with some other boys who have "problems", it's supposed to be aimed at improving social interactions, anger management stuff. He says he doesn't want to go. I think he should. Trying to figure out how to convince him it's a good idea. I thought just the fact he would miss one class a week with a teacher he doesn't like would do it but apparently it will require more effort on my part.

There must be something in the air last night. My DS (22) had a major mental meltdown this morning. Apparently he was up all night worrying. I wish he had just come and got me up to talk about it but he didn't. He just made it all worse in his mind. It has taken all day to get him back on track. At least I hope he's back on track. He's going to drop one of his courses but he has to get the offer of his gov't job for the summer before he does. It's all a very careful balancing act and pushing him to get things done in time. I swear with this one it never ends. DS (24) thinks he's heading out to Alberta as soon as his program finishes. That's a whole other story. Kids, they'll be the death of us (or at least turn our hair grey)

Hang in there. You'll get to the right place for him, eventually.

I've been debating putting a question out here for fear that it's a tad more than TMI so I'll tuck it into a spoiler and you can read at your own peril :P

I would wear a swim shirt and board shorts if it makes you more comfortable while enjoying the warm sand, water and sunshine! And in all honesty, if someone is going to judge or even say something...that is on them. They have NOT walked even an inch in your shoes, and can't make any judgements. I bought a bikini top and bottom when my the the daughter went to Florida/cruise. I wore it and didn't care. I'm round like Mrs. Clause, I've had three c-sections ( one which had a verticle incision because the dd was so stuck ) yes I've suffered from deep depression, and ate too many hambugers and chips...but I didn't care. And I will be wearing my bikini again on our holiday. I don't care....even with all the family around - if they have a problem with it...don't look at me :P :p :flower1:

I would wear a swim shirt and board shorts if it makes you more comfortable while enjoying the warm sand, water and sunshine! And in all honesty, if someone is going to judge or even say something...that is on them. They have NOT walked even an inch in your shoes, and can't make any judgements. I bought a bikini top and bottom when my the the daughter went to Florida/cruise. I wore it and didn't care. I'm round like Mrs. Clause, I've had three c-sections ( one which had a verticle incision because the dd was so stuck ) yes I've suffered from deep depression, and ate too many hambugers and chips...but I didn't care. And I will be wearing my bikini again on our holiday. I don't care....even with all the family around - if they have a problem with it...don't look at me :P :p :flower1:

I don't really care either what people think (not happy looking at it myself but that's something I'm working on!) Like I said, it's the physical pain that's the problem. I'm probably going to go the route of a swim dress kinda thing with shorts. My current suit is a royal PIA when I need to go to the bathroom !!!!!

Hi ladies
I am looking for suggestions.
I have been struggling with Hiatal Hernia /GERd symptoms for a few weeks. I am or was managing it until I decided to eat not one but two chocolate bars this afternoon (darn airmile oreo cookie chocolate bars),,,yes yes I know very stupid. Believe me I am paying for it. Please don't judge.
So my safe food list is
pasta
rice
bananas
melons
yogurt
oatmeal
chicken/small amount
crackers/plain
melba toast

Does anyone know of any other things that are safe as in non acid producing,,easy to digest?
I know this sounds childish but I feel like I no longer have any snack treats that I can eat?

Thanks and
Hugs
Mel

Arrowroot cookies. If they are gentle enough for a baby. I use these when we are getting over a GI upset/flu. What about rice cakes, maybe with a little flavour so you think you are being bad while you're not.

Arrowroot cookies. If they are gentle enough for a baby. I use these when we are getting over a GI upset/flu. What about rice cakes, maybe with a little flavour so you think you are being bad while you're not.

Sounds great,thanks for the suggestions
Off to do some dancing to wear off those chocolate bars.

Hugs
Mel

Well ... you're preaching to the choir here, I'm the queen of the acid tummy!
Here's my list of go-tos when the stomach is in rebel mode:
pasta with butter & cheese
toast with small amount of nut butter for protein
bake taters with whatever

Snacks are harder and why i do most of our baking. Most of these things aren't very low-cal but when i'm in trouble it's more about eating something!

• One of my favourite things is banana coconut steel cut oats, I'll make a massive batch up in the crockpot (huhm, wonder if my IP would be a good choice now??) and then portion it up into sammie bags and pop them in the freezer. When i need something i can chuck it in the microwave, add some milk and heat it up for some quick energy.
  • Date turnovers that i make and freeze -- if not, just grab a date to nibble on when i walk past
  • When I'm craving something sweet or with significant flavour I'll pop some gum in my mouth, sounds silly but it helps deal with the "OMG everything tastes the same" sensation. (Currently chomping on some wickedly sour stuff)
  • I also keep a stash of Ensure in the fridge for when i can't even think about eating but know that i need some protein. Not happy that it has to be vanilla but it does feel like a bit of a treat and more filling than a glass of milk.
  • Hubby like bananas in a very small window of ripeness, when they pass that point i slice them and freeze them. I can then blend them up with some milk & berries for a smoothie
  • Frozen grapes -- makes them sweeter!
  • popcorn --we've recently found some cheese stuff that is pretty good
I've been weaning myself off of chocolate and while i ever eat much anyway, it is really HARD!! But i'm afraid it has become something i need to avoid.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter