The Dis Goes to Italy 5/24 - 6/1/2012 Viva Italia!!!!

Wow, cannot believe our adventure was almost two years ago...hope everyone is well!

Just to let you know, this Sunday 4/20/14 on The Amazing Race (CBS) the schedule says they will be in Orvieto! They were in Rome last week.

I will watch just to catch a glimpse of one of the highlights of our trip.

Frank

Wow, cannot believe our adventure was almost two years ago...hope everyone is well!

Just to let you know, this Sunday 4/20/14 on The Amazing Race (CBS) the schedule says they will be in Orvieto! They were in Rome last week.

Frank

Thanks for the Info! We went May 2013 and Orvieto was one of our favorite places!!!!

Frank
Frank

Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm going to try and find last week's episode in Rome too.

I think about that adventure all the time. It was so much fun with the best co- vacationers we could wish for.

By the way, Italy is selling off an island in the Venice lagoon and an unused monastery in the south somewhere to raise money for the country. Wish we could all go in and buy the island ( but I'd take either one, truth be told).

Tell Cathy hi!
Cathie

Frank

Thanks so much for letting us know. I'm going to try and find last week's episode in Rome too.

I think about that adventure all the time. It was so much fun with the best co- vacationers we could wish for.

By the way, Italy is selling off an island in the Venice lagoon and an unused monastery in the south somewhere to raise money for the country. Wish we could all go in and buy the island ( but I'd take either one, truth be told).

Tell Cathy hi!
Cathie

Agreed - both Venice and Orvieto are my favorites, would love to live in either city.

Orvieto was so quaint and warm, and Venice was a marvel of discovery at every corner.

Best wishes to you and Jack, I am sure our paths will cross someday!

Agreed - both Venice and Orvieto are my favorites, would love to live in either city.

Orvieto was so quaint and warm, and Venice was a marvel of discovery at every corner.

Best wishes to you and Jack, I am sure our paths will cross someday!
I hope it's on an ABD tour. :)

Another trip to Italy would suit me well. It's such a special place.

Take care,
Cathie

Frank

Thanks for letting us know, Frank! I too can't believe two years have gone by since our trip. The memories and experiences all seem fresh and recent, as though it was just last month. It was definitely the trip of a lifetime!

Frank

Tell Cathy hi!
Cathie

I'm in on island buying! :thumbsup2 I would love to travel with all of you again and hope that we will be able to reunite in Venice some day.

Hey Heather,

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for another fabulous trip. I wonder what the going rate is for an Italian island. I need to start saving my pennies :)

I hope your Mom is doing well: staying feisty.

Take care
Cathie

OK, not a lot of Orvieto, but the Funicular, the Domo and a glimpse of the best ceramic store ever seen - great stuff.

No Pentecostal dove, but next time Cathy and I have pledged to see the inside of the Domo.

So want to go back!

OK, not a lot of Orvieto, but the Funicular, the Domo and a glimpse of the best ceramic store ever seen - great stuff.

No Pentecostal dove, but next time Cathy and I have pledged to see the inside of the Domo.

So want to go back!

Couldn't agree more. We were excited to see the ceramic store. It really is one of my favorite places and can not wait to go back. Someday.

Couldn't agree more. We were excited to see the ceramic store. It really is one of my favorite places and can not wait to go back. Someday.
I so agree. Orvieto was so special. It was nice to see even a glimpse. I can't believe that the teams spent their time running through Italy. Such a shame.

I'm glad that the dove got a reprieve at least for a few more weeks.

It was great to see even a glimpse of Orvieto!

I was also in love with the donkey races to the bad brass band. There's a career option I never even considered - musician for donkey races. It totally reminded me of the pageantry we saw in Orvieto.

Cathie, thanks for asking after my mom. She is in a great period now. She has settled in and feels more at home, and she has a new best friend. She hasn't had a bestie like this in a long time so it is very sweet. She's started to take part in more activities and things have been going well with the facility after a very rough period in January. We are going together to the east coast in July for some family events, which will be great even though I worry about her falling down all the time.

Hope everyone is getting some joyful spring moments after a ridiculously rough winter for those of you in the snow zones.

The current fun moment in my life is a trip to Disneyland next week! I am competing in the Gumball rally (a sort of crazy ride frenzy/treasure hunt/trivia seeking contest) with my friends Dylan and Lloyd who made us this fantastic team logo:

after I named our team "Small World, Big Park" for the 50th anniversary of Small World. It sounds like a long but very fun day. It's already been worth doing because of how much our logo makes me laugh.

It was great to see even a glimpse of Orvieto!

I was also in love with the donkey races to the bad brass band. There's a career option I never even considered - musician for donkey races. It totally reminded me of the pageantry we saw in Orvieto.

Cathie, thanks for asking after my mom. She is in a great period now. She has settled in and feels more at home, and she has a new best friend. She hasn't had a bestie like this in a long time so it is very sweet. She's started to take part in more activities and things have been going well with the facility after a very rough period in January. We are going together to the east coast in July for some family events, which will be great even though I worry about her falling down all the time.

Hope everyone is getting some joyful spring moments after a ridiculously rough winter for those of you in the snow zones.

The current fun moment in my life is a trip to Disneyland next week! I am competing in the Gumball rally (a sort of crazy ride frenzy/treasure hunt/trivia seeking contest) with my friends Dylan and Lloyd who made us this fantastic team logo:

after I named our team "Small World, Big Park" for the 50th anniversary of Small World. It sounds like a long but very fun day. It's already been worth doing because of how much our logo makes me laugh.
Heather,

What fun! I'm so glad that your Mom is thriving. It's always nice to find a new friend, and good health is the best gift of all. I hope she keeps her balance, and continues to enjoy her new friend. I worry about my Dad falling. He's always been do athletic, but in the last few months he had to have his implanted defibrilator replaced; back surgery; knee surgery from a torn meniscus during back rehab; and now he's skipped on dome dry leaves. That slip hurt enough that he couldn't walk very well; had to use a cane ; etc so I can definitely sympathize there.

I absolutely LOVE your team logo. Great graphics - and the "pictures" are perfect. In your photo, it looks like you're having a fabulous time. Cute little character bodies too. I love the idea of the Gumball Rally. Those are all three things that I love to do. How did I not know about this? I expect Jack to keep me informed on such matters. I hope your team wins, but most of all that you have a blast. Is this a new event?

Let me know if you take up with a bad brass band with donkey racing. I would pay to see that. The crowd found it pretty funny. It looked much harder than I would have guessed it to be.

Take care
Cathie

I've been obsessing about the gondola route so, using photos Cathie and I took, I've created a Google Earth file which, I hope, shows the approximate location of the route.

You can download the Google Earth file here.

I don't think this will work (at least not directly) with Google Maps. To open the file in a usable format, you'll need the Google Earth application or program which is available at http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/

If you do not want to download Google Earth, then try this link as it should open the locations in Google Maps. I am not sure that "street view" is available using this link. The names of each marker describe photos we took.

The photos (from the entire trip) can be seen at this link.

Jack:

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I tried to upload all of mine to Flicker, too, but we had a fight wherein Flickr wouldn't upload more than two photos at the time for weeks on end. We eventually broke up. I'm still not over it.

That map of the gondola ride is amazing! I can't even imagine how long that took.

Hope all is going well for you all up in TN!

:goodvibes

I've been obsessing about the gondola route so, using photos Cathie and I took, I've created a Google Earth file which, I hope, shows the approximate location of the route.

You can download the Google Earth file here.

I don't think this will work (at least not directly) with Google Maps. To open the file in a usable format, you'll need the Google Earth application or program which is available at http://www.google.com/intl/en/earth/

If you do not want to download Google Earth, then try this link as it should open the locations in Google Maps. I am not sure that "street view" is available using this link. The names of each marker describe photos we took.

The photos (from the entire trip) can be seen at this link.

Amazing! Thanks, Jack. Your photos are spectacular, and bring back all manner of happy memories!

Jack:

Great photos! Thanks for sharing. I tried to upload all of mine to Flicker, too, but we had a fight wherein Flickr wouldn't upload more than two photos at the time for weeks on end. We eventually broke up. I'm still not over it.

That map of the gondola ride is amazing! I can't even imagine how long that took.

Hope all is going well for you all up in TN!

:goodvibes

Amazing! Thanks, Jack. Your photos are spectacular, and bring back all manner of happy memories!

Thanks. Working on the photos brought back a lot of memories and I learned a lot. The gondola route was a challenge but immensely worth the effort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!