The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Fall trip booked, Badlands, Custer Gulch, Spearfish SD, Idaho Falls (Yellowstone and Teton's) SLC to visit DD#2, Las Vegas, petrified forest, Tucumcari to visit DS#1 into misery to hit Merrimac caverns and St Louis and then back up to home, 4,125 miles and 62 days, back in time for the holidays, then off to snowbird season again!

fall 2024.jpg

I recall you did the Route 66 thing last year, @team bradfield, but if you went through Amarillo then - and it looks like you will this trip - stop at the Big Texan Steak House and getcha some big steak meals.

https://www.bigtexan.com/

I've stopped there 7 times and my favorite is the 36oz boneless ribeye. Plenty of chicken and seafood dishes too.

Bama Ed

Gulf State Park data dump incoming. :duck:

Night before 5pm scare when I was prepping the camper and loading up and found this in the battery box.

Thankfully a quick drive to the auto parts store provided some replacement copper lugs to crimp on. Crisis averted.

Smooth drive down yesterday morning. Lunch at DW's favorite restaurant in Gulf Shores, The Original Oyster House.

I got the Alligator Po' Boy. I had already eaten 3-4 chunks of fried gator so it was well stuffed. DW got a salad.

Checked into GSP site #227 again. This is the same waterfront site I had last year in April - liked it so I rebooked it. On Middle Lake and across the road from a comfort station.

The GSP beach pavilion is off in the distance across the lake (close-up).

After setting up we made a run to the grocery store and afterwards broke out the puzzle for this trip to start sorting pieces. It's the MK legacy map that I got at the 50th anniversary on our Thanksgiving 2022 trip.

It's sunny 70s/60s but breezy yesterday and today so the EZ Up is well anchored. Gusts over 20mph but that should stop after today. Cooked some chicken fried rice for dinner last night (delish).

Very relaxed.

Bama Ed

Gulf State Park data dump incoming. :duck:

Night before 5pm scare when I was prepping the camper and loading up and found this in the battery box.

Thankfully a quick drive to the auto parts store provided some replacement copper lugs to crimp on. Crisis averted.

Smooth drive down yesterday morning. Lunch at DW's favorite restaurant in Gulf Shores, The Original Oyster House.

I got the Alligator Po' Boy. I had already eaten 3-4 chunks of fried gator so it was well stuffed. DW got a salad.

Checked into GSP site #227 again. This is the same waterfront site I had last year in April - liked it so I rebooked it. On Middle Lake and across the road from a comfort station.

The GSP beach pavilion is off in the distance across the lake (close-up).

After setting up we made a run to the grocery store and afterwards broke out the puzzle for this trip to start sorting pieces. It's the MK legacy map that I got at the 50th anniversary on our Thanksgiving 2022 trip.

It's sunny 70s/60s but breezy yesterday and today so the EZ Up is well anchored. Gusts over 20mph but that should stop after today. Cooked some chicken fried rice for dinner last night (delish).

Very relaxed.

Bama Ed
Ooohh... that looks too nice!!! Enjoy!

@bama_ed We really liked that puzzle. Right now we are staring one of the two sided ones we picked up on a previous trip.

Made it through the NASA weekend with very little drama (and limited carnage to cars which is great!) Monday was yard work and today is semi recovery day with little planned productivity wise. On deck are all the little projects I want to get done by end of May. Mulching, painting the rest of the front door area, painting the garage person entry door, shed, all that fun stuff.

Still waiting on the waitlist for our last DL night, but we have a plan on how to deal with that. Only 64 days till the adventure begins, and only a few days later till we hit the Disney 60 day window.

Getting caught up on a Gulf State Park data dump.

Sunrise photos are always a question mark. Today clouds on the horizon blocked a horizon type photo.

I went to take my shower and came back to this.

Plenty of bird life around the campsite. Mister and Misses Cardinal were out and about together this morning.

We made progress on the puzzle this morning before the wind blew up. Should be less the rest of the week.

We chilled this afternoon (me reading a book) then DW wanted to go check out the local souvenir stores this afternoon. That meant a visit to Souvenir City (since 1956), a souvenir store in downtown beach-est Gulf Shores that we took our kids to since they were born.

It has a very distinctive entrance - perfect for us tourists.

Besides tshirts, tank tops, shells, puzzles, flip flops, sunglasses, sunscreen, fudge, whiskey glasses, surfboards, floaties of all sorts, etc., they sell hermit crabs. It's like the dollar store for puppies - I saw two kids talk their dad into getting crabs to take home.

BTW the crab cage no longer smells to high heaven. Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

The next post will cover dinner. I cooked a great meal that would have been:

... in the local establishments.

Bama Ed

We visited the local fish monger.

Red snapper was our menu item which would be blackened with cajun and garlic/herb spices.

This is the staple of my spice pantry in one form or another.

Does anyone else have a problem at the beach with the moisture/humidity caking up their shakeable spices and seasonings? Or is it just me? :confused3

I dropped those seasoned filets in hot butter face down.

Then flipped to get a cook/crisp on both sides.

The veggie medley was a colorful gaggle of zuch, squash, 4 peppers (g/o/y/r), onion, and garlic plus salt/pepper.

I'm glad DW said she liked the veggies because we have enough fresh veg leftovers to do it again (and again).

Place a Pinot Grigio chilled with this and it was OH so good.

Yeah, I admit it. It was so good ....

I fist pumped.

I yelled "ROLL TIDE"!

No plan for tomorrow - like today. So great.

Bama Ed

I sometimes put the spices in a Tupperware. But by the end of the season I forget. So , they mostly eaither get tossed or I beat on the picnic table to loosen them up.

I am behind so let's do yesterday (Wednesday).

It was cloudy at sunrise and also foggy down close to the ground so no sunrise pic. But the winds were less so I got some puzzle time in.

Late morning we we in search of a big used book store on the north side of Foley (10 miles north of Gulf Shores) which we eventually found. After considering several possibilities, I only walked out with one book:

If you can't read the title, the book is called "The History of the Louisville & Nashville Railroad". The L&N is the 2nd railroad I keep up with because it was the 2nd railroad to come to Tuscaloosa (the 1st being The Southern Railroad). Both train stations are still standing in Tuscaloosa btw. The L&N was restored and formerly a restaurant and now an event location. The SRR was also restored and currently serves as the Amtrak station (on the Crescent line from New Orleans and Washington DC with one train in each direction every day).

We spent about an hour browsing the bookshop.

After a late lunch we went for a 30 minute bike ride. DW does not ride her bike at home but loves the wide roads and bike trails here at Gulf State Park. The winds were still blustery.

She settled in afterward for a nap and I sat outside reading the book I had brought from home. Before supper the winds dropped again so I moved the puzzle closer to completion.

For dinner we cooked some scallops, veggie medley again, and caribbean rice.

High today was about 80F and low was mid 60sF.

So kind of a nothing day which is exactly what we needed.

Bama Ed

PS - I'll try to get back on track tonight with today's update. But it was equally laid back today.

PPS - the L&N RR basically came down from Nashville to Birmingham (with a branch to Tuscaloosa) to Montgomery and swung down to Mobile and on to New Orleans on its main line through my state. One branch left the main about 60 miles north of the beach at Bay Minette and ran as far south as Foley just north of the beach. In fact its station has the model train club setup in it. Plus a little L&N diesel, a few boxcars, and a caboose outside next to the platform.

Last edited:
Glad to year that Mom had a good day today. She was due one, that's for sure.

For today's update (Thursday), I will admit to being lazy. Although I did get up at sunrise for a photo, there were high gray clouds and low level fog to boot. So no pic today.

But the winds were less after sunup and stayed low for a good part of the morning so I puzzled away on my MK map puzzle until about 930am. Got a lot done.

DW and I chatted this morning and we both had remorse that we didn't buy "this or that" book at the used book store so we went back today. I got two more books - one train and one on the Wright Brothers.

The big one (in a slip cover) is "The American Heritage History of Railroads in America". I love the stories of early train travel (like 1880 or earlier), building the transcontinental railroads, etc. The second book is called "Kill Devil Hill" about the Wright Brothers and their attempts to fly. They were from Ohio and I am from Ohio and they (along with Neal Armstrong - first man to walk on the Moon) have always interested me. In fact, one time when the kids were young we did a Washington DC trip during Christmas/New Years break and on the way home drove to Kitty Hawk, NC to see Kill Devil Hill and the National Park there. Fascinating to me. Got a speeding ticket there too. :car:

Leaving there we had lunch at one of the old establishments in Orange Beach that has been in business for 40 years, Doc's Seafood Shack.

We hadn't been there in 10-15 years but it was really good. Lisa got one of their blue plate lunch specials. It was $12 (the baked chicken) then tack on a $1.50 upcharge for a breast piece (with wing). Two sides (cornbread dressing/gravy, fried okra) + bread and corn muffin, and a small slice of cake included. Oh, and cranberry sauce.

We thought it was a good value (we noted popcorn shrimp blue plate is offered on Tuesdays :rolleyes: ).

I got the dinner selection of their world famous fried shrimp with crinkle cut fries, okra, hushpuppies all piled high. It was, I must say, pretty delicous.

It was so good that we didn't bother with dinner tonight, we were still full.

https://www.docsseafoodshack.com/seafood-menu/

On the way back we stopped at the grocery store then back to the campsite. The clouds broke up some and the wind stayed mild.

Given we have only one more full day here, I put in more afternoon puzzle time and got it nearly done. All I need to do is figure one one ring of pieces around the edges to finish it.

We are having such a great trip that DW was okay with booking a short 4-night stay next year in April before the DIS Meet. Got a site on Live Oak again across the road from the lake in our usual area. The rate is shown as $64 (rounded) per night but the city/county/state taxes and resort fee add another 31.5% (about $20 more per night). Yeesh.

We plan to actually visit the beach tomorrow, btw.

Fun in the sun. :beach:

Can't wait for the DISMeet next year to roll around.

Bama Ed

20240419_063200.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter