The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Oh Mike it was the challenge I was looking for. Well I was surprised it was as challenging. Lots of rock climb. I am still slow but getting better. Going for an easier hike tomorrow but another waterfall so hopefully very pretty. Sunday will be an off day. I ran Monday to Thursday this week then hiked today and tomorrow, rest on Sunday with pancakes and bacon. Mmmmm.

BACON Everything is better with BACON. Mallory certainly looks happy Sure the extra love Mom and Dad need a place to shower coming her way is helping. Just hope it paying dividends for you and Bert as well.
Here is something you will get a kick out of. When I came home from my Good Mommy and Daddy club meeting tonight the kids were in the yard and came tearing up on the deck and to the door. Katie is so pressed up against the glass her upper lips are pushed out and her tongue is pressed to the glass as well. A true window licker I wish I could have grabbed my camera. Lucille I could barely stand up we were laughing so hard
Katie has also developed a major Ice Cube addiction. Let one of us go for some ice for our Seltzer and she is right there and has to get one

Mallory seems pretty content. Boy you're sure right about the spring, I had to look closer at the picture to see the water :magnify:. 2300' feet, that's no easy task

Yesterday was the day of waterfall hikes. We went to 3 different ones. Not expecting the best one, to us, was last. It was the shortest hike.

First we started with a 2 mile easy hike.

68C393CA-5193-402C-BD96-131EDC8499FC.jpeg

Next was a 5 mile slightly tougher hike but still easy. The only hard part was the last scramble to the top.

1DB958B3-6F52-4B12-90DB-BB7342808E97.jpeg

The next was a mere half mile hike but the waterfall was pretty. Plus i was tired by then.

1CDDC9F3-9E9F-46DD-BB44-D49E84E364BF.jpeg

We sat and enjoyed that waterfall for a bit.

E847E712-AA60-4DE4-8519-87CA8A42A033.jpeg

The cold water felt awesome. Today we are taking it easy. Bert will make pancakes and bacon, then head home. Have a tough work week ahead of us. Both of us are in the same all day conference starting Monday at lunch till Thursday. That means we will be doing our day job at night.

Water looks refreshing. Hopefully it'll be a good boost for a not so exciting work week

I did this once in my life (I was probably 10 or 11). It was at the Quechee Gorge Balloon Festival where my parents were vendors for several years.

Never done it. However...

A few years ago I was awoken one morning to a strange sound, like a blowing sound. As soon as I awoke I didn't hear it anymore. I figured I was dreaming it so went back to sleep. All of a sudden my wife is yelling, "Mike! There's a balloon in our back yard!". Sure enough, at 7am this is what I see when I look out back.
20140621_074205.jpg

Seems they had gotten in trouble and lost one of the burners and was losing altitude and he said they crossed over the trees and there was this "big yard".
IMG_5890a.jpg

IMG_5898a.jpg

Have to admit, it wasn't what I was expecting that morning.

And you didn't let DIXIE loose on them They must have had some exceptional Champagne

By Dixie, I assume you mean our Jack Russell at the time? If so, she was well into retirement by then.

Now if you mean "Rebel yell", well, I was still half asleep when I stepped out on my porch and yelled, "I wanna ride next!".

The poor guy was shaking so bad. He said he was losing altitude fast and was scared he was fixing to have to ditch in the trees when all of a sudden he saw my house and yard when he came over the hilltop behind my house. The lady with him, a "first time flyer" was probable also a "last time flyer".

Yes I meant your little girl Dixie. I figured even in her golden years her courage and bravery factors went up in direct relation to distance from Daddy. "I wanna ride next" I never read that that was what was yelled at Little Round Top or Manassas Junction

We finally put the rig back in storage. It has been in the north GA mountains since May 19. We spent 22 nights up there. Took 6 days of vacation mostly fridays and then two other days to get some hiking in. After our first hiking weekend, I had a brilliant idea to day hike the entire Appalachian Trail in GA. We did a lot of hiking. We have covered 53 of the 78 miles. We went many directions and in most cases went both northbound and southbound on the trail. We have covered the southern terminus to Unicoi Gap. We have 4 more hikes to do to finish GA. Hoping to get one more in soon, but then training for Chicago Marathon will take priority, plus it’s a two hour drive to get to the AT from the condo unlike when we were staying up there. We still plan to finish it this year though.

Last weekend while hiking we did see two bears. Well we saw one about 25 feet off the trail. I heard it and then saw a small black thing move. I leaned into bert and was like “is that a d...O M G bear” it was a baby turned and looked our direction then kept going. About 5 minutes later a second bear which was more of a blur went running right across the trail. We never did see momma but boy was I freaked out.

Here are some pictures

9BA4A3DA-63A8-4CDD-BB3C-54E5F3BC1206.jpeg

This was last week looking at Yonah mountain from Cowrock just south of testanee Gap. It’s one of my favorite spots to sit and enjoy.

8314E038-7804-4D47-A78A-C04B84333C1F.jpeg

Same as above from cowrock.

4C11035C-4A7E-45B7-A888-293A8E4BBE10.jpeg

Last week from preachers rock just north of Woody Gap.

C5F5D11C-F2AD-4D0A-8DFB-13938E984AC0.jpeg

No explanation needed.

Lions and Tigers and Bears oh my! Looks like you two had a good time and a touch of adventure thrown in. Mallory looks very happy with her patch of grass, just don't forget the Flea and Tick applications

but then training for Chicago Marathon will take priority
Keep us posted when you and where you might be for Chicago Marathon. We are about 45 Minutes west and would be willing to head down to meet up 1 day or come down and cheer you on :thumbsup2:cool1:

Keep us posted when you and where you might be for Chicago Marathon. We are about 45 Minutes west and would be willing to head down to meet up 1 day or come down and cheer you on :thumbsup2:cool1:
Right now plan is to come in on Friday oct 5 and stay till Monday with race Sunday but may extend one day till Tuesday. Would love the support. Mallory will be with us so even someone who wants to do Mallory watching is helpful. Where are you at? Naperville? I feel like we have had this conversation before and I am forgetting, which is unlike me. I grew up in Wheeling.

We're about 5 minutes east of Naperville. Will keep you posted. May be Camping in Wisconsin for Columbus Day but nothing set in stone.

Absolutely will keep you posted how our plans go. It’s a long ways away, well less than 4 months since it’s time to stop hiking and start running :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!