The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Went inside this morning to get cup of coffee. Living room was apparently the site of a fort construction. Sheets everywhere, held up by dining room chairs. Must of been heck of a battle judging by all the debris scattered around.

Glow sticks everywhere. Black light bulbs in ceiling fan.

I wanted to thank @bjschil (Barb and Bill) for the hospitality this afternoon. It was great seeing you two again. Barb gave me the tour around the farm. Pretty neat to see the inner workings of a dairy farm. All the farms by me are corn/beans/wheat. Bill was out cutting corn so I got to join him for a short stint in the combine. I've been in (and drove) many tractors, but never a combine when it was at work.

Thanks again and I can't wait to get back together at another Midwest DIS meet.

j

I wanted to thank @bjschil (Barb and Bill) for the hospitality this afternoon. It was great seeing you two again. Barb gave me the tour around the farm. Pretty neat to see the inner workings of a dairy farm. All the farms by me are corn/beans/wheat. Bill was out cutting corn so I got to join him for a short stint in the combine. I've been in (and drove) many tractors, but never a combine when it was at work.

Thanks again and I can't wait to get back together at another Midwest DIS meet.

j

Sounds like fun - glad you had a good day!

What address will your wife have your mail and the bills forwarded to ? Hey we all had skills we needed to work on in Kindergarten. I failed skipping

I'm telling you guys, when @SouthAlabama5er (Randy) and I get together strange things happen.

Last year I ordered some shrimp from him and on the day I had to go down to his place in Grand Bay, AL we got the biggest snow storm (by our standards) we've had in years. Driving through driving snow in MS to get shrimp. Coincidence...

Last years GSP dismeet in May we get a hurricane, a full month before hurricane season typically starts. Coincidence...well...

Last night...well, let me start 24 hours ago.

Randy, who drives over the road, and a friend of his are apparently helping FEMA move supplies to the East coast in anticipation for Hurricane Florence (my prayers are with everyone in the path of this thing. Having gone through Katrina, I have good idea of what they are in for, and possibly gonna be worse then Katrina). Anyway, they got this gig moving supplies from a town not far from me. Deal is, they gotta pull someone elses trailers, so they need to unhook from their own big rig trailers and leave them unattended for several days while making these runs. Now those trailers are expensive, and stolen quite frequently so they didn't want to just leave them anywhere.

I got 100 acres, plenty of space to turn a big rig around and unhook from a trailer, plus they get the added coverage of redneck security which basically means if someone was to approach the trailers with intent to steal they would hear banjos...
Anyway, I volunteer to help them out and give them a place to safely store their trailers. Now, we have not gotten hardly any rain here in the last 3 months, I mean the grass is turning brown due to lack of water. Ground is hard as a rock and dusty. More than capable of holding up big trucks. When I leave my house it is still just as dry. When I meet them at the interstate it is starting to rain...and continues to rain. Funny thing, as we get closer to my house it is raining more, lots more. In fact, it rained about 1.5" in about 45 minutes. More than in the previous 3 months.

Needless to say, it was a now a slick muddy mess. Oh, did I mention it was also 10:30 at night? Plenty dark as well, and still coming a monsoon. We slung mud, skidded around, got soaked, nearly stuck, moving again, stuck, then unstuck. It was great. Everyone was drenched. Even the neighbors who came out to see what all the lights were about. The best part was when Randy got his truck out first and had made it all the way to the end of the driveway (about 1/4 mile long) and his friend radioed to him he was stuck. Randy had gotten out and walked all the way down the driveway and just before he got to us we got his friend Eddie unstuck. Eddie, being a smart man, once he got moving he didn't stop, this included for poor Randy who was now running in front of him back down the driveway. It was great.

Anyway, everyone is now muddy, trucks (including my F-250) are very muddy, my tractor is muddy, and I think several trees have mud on their limbs up to 20' off the ground. However, we got them out and back on the road to help get supplies to our friends in the Carolinas.

Randy and Eddie, safe travels and thanks for the 3 months of rain that we got in an hour.

Good times!

Randy had gotten out and walked all the way down the driveway and just before he got to us we got his friend Eddie unstuck. Eddie, being a smart man, once he got moving he didn't stop, this included for poor Randy who was now running in front of him back down the driveway. It was great.

I can see this happening in my mind and it made me smile. It must have been even better in person, tiggerdad (at night, in the rain, Randy silhouetted in the headlights with legs churning and arms pumping). :rotfl2:

Guess he got in all his exercise for this month.

Bama Ed

I was going to say i have a great imagine in my mind of Randy running behind the truck in the pouring rain. Thanks for the laughs and thanks Randy and friends for helping out the Carolinas. Looks like this is going to be a big one.

Yes, thanks @tiggerdad for helping behind the scenes those that are helping us here in the Carolinas. We are in Raleigh, ds and family is in Kill Devil Hills so needless to say we are watching and preparing for this one closely.

Some random musings from the Peanut Gallery
The Mis-Adventures of Michael and Randy the next hit on REDNECK TV. I have already pitched the idea to Jeff Foxworthy and Larry The Cable Guy. Production start date to follow.
Michael so help me, if I hear you announce to anyone other than your opponent in the Gator rasslin ring, "You shure got a purdy mouth!" I am out of there.
Are you sure your neighbors only came out to see what all the Hulla Ballo was about. I suspect your bride was calling them and selling tickets
Randy and Eddie stay safe and move west as soon as you can this is going to be bad

I suspect your bride was calling them and selling tickets
Actually the storm was so bad she was inside comforting the youngest DD who was scared of all the lightning and thunder. She told me she was telling my daughter, "It's not that bad. Look, your dads outside in it."

Some random musings from the Peanut Gallery
The Mis-Adventures of Michael and Randy the next hit on REDNECK TV. I have already pitched the idea to Jeff Foxworthy and Larry The Cable Guy. Production start date to follow.
Michael so help me, if I hear you announce to anyone other than your opponent in the Gator rasslin ring, "You shure got a purdy mouth!" I am out of there.
Are you sure your neighbors only came out to see what all the Hulla Ballo was about. I suspect your bride was calling them and selling tickets
Randy and Eddie stay safe and move west as soon as you can this is going to be bad

Funny thing is - that's EXACTLY the image that came to my mind...Jeff running down a muddy path with Larry rolling up behind him in a big rig yelling 'Git-er-done!' I'm still laughing! :teeth:

Sounds like a good old time.

I have friends that have evacuated from the OBX and a nephew and another friend at Camp Lejune. They get to stay put and guard the military stuff. Actually, they have alredy been put on rescue and recovery watch. Looks like it may not be as strong, but is going to linger.

j

Woke up today and turned on Fox and Friends. For those very happy to see Florence has been down graded to a Cat 2 storm remember Katrina came on shore significantly down graded as well. Peoples please if you haven't but can and are in the impact area get the heck out of Dodge. We watched one individual named "SQUIRREL" who is located on the BEACH in Myrtle Beach ( I suspect some Adult Beverages or Terminal Cerebral Fecal Matter Syndrome is in play with this individual) refusing to leave, Don't be like "Squirrel" be like Tiggerdad's furry friends and head for some place safer. For those in North and South Carolina for now our thoughts and prayers are with you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!