The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Chris we were hearing about this prior to our leaving for home on Jan 29th. Within 3 hours of arriving home I was in our local hospital with an extremely nasty case of Pneumonia. One of the first things I was tested for that night of Jan 31 was the Flu. On the morning of Feb 2nd I was tested again as they explained to me there was a problem with the original test. In hindsight the concern my Dr had over my not reacting well to the antibiotics I was being given. The next day my Dr was there during an early news story about COVID 19 and he told me I didn't need to worry that is not what I had.
My point is the medical community knew about this disease and wer on the look out for it and were testing for it long before it became a 24/7 news story

DW and DD were sick, cold/flu symptoms right after xmas, we just figured normal winter crap, 2 weeks and all better, I didnt get it quite as bad as they did, beginning to wonder now if it wasn't the corona virus. we always get flu shots in the fall.

It's possible some of us where exposed and never knew it. Melissa had a really bad flu like cold in January after our honeymoon, tests that week where negative for flu a or b, yet we know it was something viral. Our daughter I think got it a little while later, high fever for days. Again, negative for flu a or b and took her a week to recover, I have not gotten sick at all this winter.

I get that this is unprecedented and we have never seen the likes of it in our lives, this is a pretty bad bug from those on the front line I am in contact with. It seems to get to pneumonia fast for those at highest risk, faster than the flu.

It really sucks the panic levels are so high, and I agree with articles that point out this is mostly because of the lack of definitive information. For a developed nation, we are the slowest to grow out testing capacity. I never thought it would take over 60 days to ramp up our capacity and ability in one of the leading countries in biomedical development. We continue to limit our ventures out of the house. Yesterday I picked up a big online order from lowes that is sure to keep me busy for the next few weekends around the house. Other then the need for more milk and other perishables, we are saving money by not going out much. We are keeping our pizza friday tradition alive and supporting our favorite local pizza place.

Today I washed DW 4Runner, then my F250, then the camper. Cut grass, cut parents grass. Pressure washed parents house yesterday.

I'd rather sandpaper a bobcat's rearend than paint.

This coming week I'm gonna go ahead and start servicing tractors getting ready to start keeping property up.

Got some dead trees need cutting down.

See they are giving free dining to those whose trips have been cancelled or postponed. Nice. I am sure they would rather be at Disney for sure.

See they are giving free dining to those whose trips have been cancelled or postponed. Nice. I am sure they would rather be at Disney for sure.
Chris,

Where did you see this?

Edit: I found it in the closures announcement in the banner.

j

Last edited:
VA is now stay at home order. All state campgrounds are closed, all private are under orders to cancel any and all stays shorter than 14 days. This is nice as it at least gives the full timers a place to anchor while all this is going on. We been keeping busy with yard work and when the weather does not allow that like this past weekend, housework.

My weekend was spent painting the to be library with built-in shelving, and the hallway to get rid of brown and mustard tone colors that was popular in the early 2000s.

For the library the bold accent color will be behind built in shelving painted semi-gloss white. The rest of the wall is a pretty cool grey tone we used in the upper hallway, but is color changing which is pretty cool. While its the same paint, it does not look the same in this room as it does in the hallway.

The hallway is a greige (yeah, it's the peach brown colors of this decade.). We chose it as it is bright, but not boring.

After the rains from saturday left we used the nice afternoon Sunday to take a walk and work on the yard some more. By the weekend I hope to start cutting the MDF down to start to build the shelving shells before final assembly in the room. Plus we have 5 yards of much to spread after weeding. The kids might like the idea of going to their fathers for the weekend again to get out of that.

Our puppy is growing so fast! We are still challenged with the house training as she will stop mid run to pee. But we are getting a good morning routine to go out as soon as we wake up.

She is all legs right now!!

Started sanding my milk can yesterday. Got halfway through and decided that cleaning my garage was more important.

This is what it looked like last year when I rescued it from the scrap pile.

1393BECE-FB04-46A1-9366-25AD64B9D314.jpeg

After getting it cleaned up.

DDA096B1-C586-47F2-B2A2-0B9F3F99C730.jpeg

The top was rusted on, I tried tapping it off with a hammer and the outer ring broke from the weld. Once we get back to work I will weld the top back on. Still need to cut the hole for the lamp post then figure away to keep the bottom from moving since I can’t get the top off. I was thinking of cutting the bottom out and putting in a flange to hold the post then Welding the bottom back on.

Ideas or suggestions?

VA is now stay at home order. All state campgrounds are closed, all private are under orders to cancel any and all stays shorter than 14 days. This is nice as it at least gives the full timers a place to anchor while all this is going on. We been keeping busy with yard work and when the weather does not allow that like this past weekend, housework.

My weekend was spent painting the to be library with built-in shelving, and the hallway to get rid of brown and mustard tone colors that was popular in the early 2000s.

View attachment 484588View attachment 484589

For the library the bold accent color will be behind built in shelving painted semi-gloss white. The rest of the wall is a pretty cool grey tone we used in the upper hallway, but is color changing which is pretty cool. While its the same paint, it does not look the same in this room as it does in the hallway.

View attachment 484590View attachment 484591View attachment 484592View attachment 484593

The hallway is a greige (yeah, it's the peach brown colors of this decade.). We chose it as it is bright, but not boring.

View attachment 484594View attachment 484595View attachment 484596

After the rains from saturday left we used the nice afternoon Sunday to take a walk and work on the yard some more. By the weekend I hope to start cutting the MDF down to start to build the shelving shells before final assembly in the room. Plus we have 5 yards of much to spread after weeding. The kids might like the idea of going to their fathers for the weekend again to get out of that.

Our puppy is growing so fast! We are still challenged with the house training as she will stop mid run to pee. But we are getting a good morning routine to go out as soon as we wake up.

View attachment 484599

She is all legs right now!!

Alright, they Purple Wall, now we can all get our Disney Photo's !!!!

Started sanding my milk can yesterday. Got halfway through and decided that cleaning my garage was more important.

View attachment 484600

View attachment 484601

The top was rusted on, I tried tapping it off with a hammer and the outer ring broke from the weld. Once we get back to work I will weld the top back on. Still need to cut the hole for the lamp post then figure away to keep the bottom from moving since I can’t get the top off. I was thinking of cutting the bottom out and putting in a flange to hold the post then Welding the bottom back on.

Ideas or suggestions?

I had to go to the grocery store today and well the hardware store was right there and DW needed something, so I ended up getting paint stripper to start working on mine.... great idea.

Still need to cut the hole for the lamp post then figure away to keep the bottom from moving since I can’t get the top off. I was thinking of cutting the bottom out and putting in a flange to hold the post then Welding the bottom back on.

Ideas or suggestions?
Vince,

I've made about a half dozen. I've tried several things to keep the bottom of the pole in place before settling on something simple.

I tried:
Sand- Too heavy.
Gravity- Too wobbly
Wood block: too hard to line up straight.

Finally settled on a baseball.

An old baseball was almost the exact inner diameter of the pole I used (Menards lamp post). I jam the baseball into the bottom of the pole so it sits flush with the bottom. I run 2 sheet metal screws through the side of the pole to secure the baseball. Then I slide the pole into the can. Once it is aligned and square (as much as an old beat up can allows), I run a 4 inch drywall screw through the bottom of the can into the baseball.
Light, simple, easy. It also allows removing the pole, if needed, by unscrewing the one in the bottom of the can.

I also drill an extra hole in the bottom of the can to allow water to get out if the pole isn't sealed well. ( I use 1/4 in vacuum hose split in the middle to seal the hole in the top of the can.)

j

View attachment 484600

View attachment 484601

Ideas or suggestions?

Cool! Yours has the swivel handles. Mine are the fixed in place ones.

Vince, on my milk can the lid was stuck on good when I first got it. You might take a few days of spraying some form of liquid wrench around the edge where the top meets the can. I'll take some pics of mine with the top off so you can see what it looks like. May lay it on its side and spray up under the lid as you roll it.

If you have access to heat such as a torch this could be another means to loosen it it.

Give me just a sec to use my phone and get you some pics.

Edit:

Here is mine
20200331_142208.jpg

There is a small hole on either side of lid which I used to help turn lid.
20200331_142220.jpg

The lid sits down inside can, but top of can tapers out. You might can use this to your advantage to trap some liquid wrench to help.
20200331_142230.jpg

20200331_142236.jpg

In the bottom I attached a metal clamp, it's the same thing mounted on the top and bottom of power panels for the conduit to sit in.
20200331_142259.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @Teamubr and @tiggerdad. The lid of my can is really rusted out.

415CE4EC-4E55-47C4-9F7D-5BF16AABCC68.jpeg
This pic is as it should sit.
This next on is with the outer ring off, where the weld broke and showing the rusted out area. It is like that on the other side also.

9EC23571-ADE3-4C9E-A163-69F444C667DA.jpeg

We have some pretty good fabricators at work. When I take it in I will see what they can do with it. I would really like to save the top with the writing as much as I can.

Here is another jug that I have that I was able to remove the top from to see how they came off. This one came off with just a little tap of the hammer.

F2C76AEB-EB9C-4062-A179-9E5CF8F91EEB.jpeg

I like the swivel handles on my can also. I think one of them was replaced at one time as one is thicker than the other.

I like both ideas of the support in the base but if I can’t get the top to separate and just weld the ring back on I might use a piece of 4 x 4 and make it just a little smaller diameter than the post and screw it from the bottom as J mentioned.

Not going to prime and paint until I get the top fixed, so that is on hold for a little while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter