The Disney Wish, what are you wishing for?

Since a lot of requests for late night activities have been mentioned, I'd like to give a plug for MORE EARLY RISER FRIENDLY ACTIVITIES! Every time I have traveled with my DDs (who have been 6am risers since birth), I have to walk around the pool decks with nothing to do until Cabanas opens or they get tired. The pools open way too late, nothing is on the Funnel Vision, and it's a ghost town. But I guess that crew needs sleep too! :D We'll see when we go back if they sleep in a bit more. I've always been on cruises where they offered a bonus 2(ish?) showing of the shows. My kids could never stay up for the shows, when we prioritize dinner.

One of the things Disney does RIGHT, are the adult sections. I keep reading lets bring our tweens in, they'll be okay. NO, no and PLEASE no!!! Our last family cruise, with all 3 kids (tweens and 18 yr old) was in 2006. The best part about that cruise is we all had our own space, then we'd meet up for dinner every night. We absolutely love what Disney has done to all the adult spaces, leave that alone. I would love to bring back the Magic and Wonder pools to that area though, the pools are much too small and enclosed. Bring back the fresh air, open pool idea. And would love 24 hr access, do not care about lifeguards there, just let us swim at 1:00 am if we want.

Bring Dole whips onboard, the kind from the Polynesian resort, sooo good.

Offer more shade on the Satellite Falls deck. I understand its windy up there, but there's got to be a more permanent solution for shade around that deck, we avoid it completely because its just too darn hot and no relief from the sun.

Starbucks. Would love it. Or any really good coffee in Cabanas. I wonder if the higher ups have ever tasted what's in there.

And YES to the walk in shower idea. Love that. We recently converted our bathtub to a huge shower and its a game changer. So many of us do not need a bathtub, especially if its an all adult trip with no kids, which that is us every time!

Last edited:

One of the things Disney does RIGHT, are the adult sections. I keep reading lets bring our tweens in, they'll be okay. NO, no and PLEASE no!!! Our last family cruise, with all 3 kids (tweens and 18 yr old) was in 2006. The best part about that cruise is we all had our own space, then we'd meet up for dinner every night. We absolutely love what Disney has done to all the adult spaces, leave that alone. I would love to bring back the Magic and Wonder pools to that area though, the pools are much too small and enclosed. Bring back the fresh air, open pool idea. And would love 24 hr access, do not care about lifeguards there, just let us swim at 1:00 am if we want.

Bring Dole whips onboard, the kind from the Polynesian resort, sooo good.

Offer more shade on the Satellite Falls deck. I understand its windy up there, but there's got to be a more permanent solution for shade around that deck, we avoid it completely because its just too darn hot and no relief from the sun.

Starbucks. Would love it. Or any really good coffee in Cabanas. I wonder if the higher ups have ever tasted what's in there.

And YES to the walk in shower idea. Love that. We recently converted our bathtub to a huge shower and its a game changer. So many of us do not need a bathtub, especially if its an all adult trip with no kids, which that is us every time!

Hi:

you can buy Dole Whip at the smoothie bar on the pool deck. I only found out during our 4th cruise last January, but Ihave had to increase my family’s cruise budget by about $100 per cruise to compensate though - the cost is $5-6

Question for everyone: in terms of Main Dining, what would people like to see (themes, cuisine, logistical changes, etc...)?

Gotta admit, while it is a Disney Cruise after all, I'm personally not a huge fan of the extremely character-centric MDR concepts of late. I much prefer the elegantly themed Enchanted Garden or Royal Court/Palace (one of my favorite restaurants on any cruise ship) or even Triton's to RRT or Tiana's. Not everybody needs Rapunzel or Tiana coming to their table and singing. Those that want that can go to the Character Greetings or perhaps DCL could offer some sort of Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner option. It just seems kind of "cheap" or a shortcut to satisfy people and takes away from the sort of timeless elegance that I think makes the Disney ships special (and particularly appealing for the adults). That subtle theming can go a long way. I have no issue at all with Disney movie-inspired restaurants (like a Lady and the Tramp-themed Italian restaurant) I always felt like Animator's Palette was a good middle ground. To me, RRT and TP seem like they'd be a better fit in MK or DHS than on a cruise ship. Not every corner of the ship needs to be bathed with characters in your face. I do completely agree that it'd be nice for Wish's two "sister" ships to have different MDRs (unlike what they did with the Dream and Fantasy). I promise I do love the characters; just I find there are many people who'd rather not have Rapunzel asking them about their dreams while they try to eat. Of course, one look at the atrium concept art for the Wish, and it's clear Bob Chapek has a very different vision haha.

Question for everyone: in terms of Main Dining, what would people like to see (themes, cuisine, logistical changes, etc...)?

Gotta admit, while it is a Disney Cruise after all, I'm personally not a huge fan of the extremely character-centric MDR concepts of late. I much prefer the elegantly themed Enchanted Garden or Royal Court/Palace (one of my favorite restaurants on any cruise ship) or even Triton's to RRT or Tiana's. Not everybody needs Rapunzel or Tiana coming to their table and singing. Those that want that can go to the Character Greetings or perhaps DCL could offer some sort of Character Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner option. It just seems kind of "cheap" or a shortcut to satisfy people and takes away from the sort of timeless elegance that I think makes the Disney ships special (and particularly appealing for the adults). That subtle theming can go a long way. I have no issue at all with Disney movie-inspired restaurants (like a Lady and the Tramp-themed Italian restaurant) I always felt like Animator's Palette was a good middle ground. To me, RRT and TP seem like they'd be a better fit in MK or DHS than on a cruise ship. Not every corner of the ship needs to be bathed with characters in your face. I do completely agree that it'd be nice for Wish's two "sister" ships to have different MDRs (unlike what they did with the Dream and Fantasy). I promise I do love the characters; just I find there are many people who'd rather not have Rapunzel asking them about their dreams while they try to eat. Of course, one look at the atrium concept art for the Wish, and it's clear Bob Chapek has a very different vision haha.

While I don't really care about having characters coming to my table, I think it's probably a lot of fun for the kids, so it doesn't bother me. I absolutely LOVE the ambiance of RRT - the purple upholstery with the golden flowers, the "floating," flickering lanterns....I absolutely LOVE that MDR! I like the theming of TP as well, but RRT is my favorite for sure.

I agree that I'd like more variation between the ships in that class. The Dream class restaurants are really identical despite the slightly different names for Royal Palace/Table.

I assume there will be an Animators pallette, but I'd like it to be more like the older ships. The classic version does such a beautiful job of celebrating Disney through the years and I just find the Crush show loud and unengaging.

I don't mind the character restaurants and I think they serve a purpose. Not all cruises offer a character breakfast and even those can be limited. This allows everyone to have a character meal. I understand that, for adult cruisers, this might not be a priority or preference, but for my family, it's a highlight.

I'd like to see an Italian themed restaurant and/or Asian. I'd also like to see a different adult only offering. Perhaps keep Palo and do something different than Remy.

While I don't really care about having characters coming to my table, I think it's probably a lot of fun for the kids, so it doesn't bother me. I absolutely LOVE the ambiance of RRT - the purple upholstery with the golden flowers, the "floating," flickering lanterns....I absolutely LOVE that MDR! I like the theming of TP as well, but RRT is my favorite for sure.

I agree RRT was by far my favorite restaurant on the Magic. I thought the theming was carried out beautifully.

I think that having a mix, a character dining room, a non character dining room and AP is pretty perfect. It gives a little bit of everything and gives people that dislike character or non character restaurants a perfect time to go to Palo/ Remy.

Wishing for:

1) Dedicated 1820 Society (or 1821 Society) space!
2) More adult activities other than the tastings
3) Lazer tag
4) More poolside activities
5) Asian restaurant (paid or not)
6) Better excursion desk (service and contracted out excursion need to be improved esp for Europe)
7) Solo stateroom (ike NCL) with its own Solo lounge (like NCL)
8) More activities centered on age range for young adults (say 21-25 single adults)
9) More water activities (slides, etc) for teens
10) VR games and adventures
I have to agree on the need for a dedicated 1820 /1821 space. I think this age group is overlooked on the Disney ships. I also would like to see more offered for the young adults in the 21-25 age bracket. I have two adult children, college students, who grew up cruising with DCL who are no longer interested in cruising DCL with the family because they find that there is little for them to do. These are the same people who I could barely drag out of vibe to have a family meal before they each turned 18. They still vacation with our family, in fact they look forward to family vacations and have no issue with hanging out with their high school age sister, younger cousins, or even Grandparents on family vacations, but both have asked that we don't do cruises now because "they're boring." This is such a bummer because I love DCL and right now I can't justify spending our family vacation dollars here when two of my three offspring aren't willing to go.

My wish list:
  • More extended balcony rooms with reclining chaise lounges.
  • Bigger/better pools.
  • More lounge chairs on the decks.
  • Better enforcement of the rules against chair saving.
  • Better flow between public spaces to avoid bottlenecks, crowds and awkward spots like walking through the adult pool area.
  • Improve disembarkation procedure - waiting an hour in line to get off the ship is a terrible way to end a vacation.
  • Activities for active older teens and young adults. Waterslides, zipline, rock climbing wall, laser tag, surf simulator, etc.
  • Mexican quick service food on pool deck.
  • A way to listen to funnelvision sound through the app on your own earbuds/headphones. It's too loud and not everyone wants to hear it. Movies would be so much better day or night this way.
  • Change the photo system to something like photo pass. Not familiar with Memory Makers that others have mentioned, but almost anything would be an improvement over Shutters!
  • Other than Carioca's (which looked like they ran out of time and money mid-remodel - seriously what was that?) I have always loved the dining rooms and menus
  • Only thing I might add for dining is put in a Hibachi upcharge restaurant in place of Remy's which seems unnecessary to me (though I love my Palo). The Hibachi could be ages 13 and up to give something special for teens without putting them into Palo (the atmosphere is so nice there with adults only).
  • One more dining request - a character breakfast that's an upcharge brunch, like Palo brunch but with kid-friendly foods, with nicer food and more peaceful atmosphere than Cabanas breakfast. NOT the jr characters!
  • A 100 Acre Wood character meet n greet with Winnie the Pool characters would be amazing!
  • Freestyle soda machines.
  • Bring back the option to drop something off at guest services for character signatures, a $20 fee would be very fair.
ETA one more thought - a better set up for the audience seating in the theatres, they feel much too crowded right now. I would like more legroom and a steeper incline for better viewing from the back rows.

Last edited:
Hi:

you can buy Dole Whip at the smoothie bar on the pool deck. I only found out during our 4th cruise last January, but Ihave had to increase my family’s cruise budget by about $100 per cruise to compensate though - the cost is $5-6
What is served on the ship is a Dole Whip only by name. It is not what is beloved by WDW fans. Onboard, they serve a pineapple slushy made with juice and fruit. A ‘real’ Dole Whip is made from a Dole pre-mix, rehydrated then served through a soft-serve machine.

If they served real Dole Whips onboard, my onboard spending would increase significantly.

I haven't been on the Dream or Fantasy, so I'm not sure what has or hasn't worked, but I will take everyone's word for it. I could see them trying to one up Royal Caribbean with features to compete with them and attract more varied families. Rock climbing wall, slides, etc.

In terms of itineraries, some 5-6 night cruises would be perfect for me. I'm priced out of most of the 7 night Fantasy cruises, and 3 and 4 feels too short sometimes. 5 or 6 night Bahamas/Caribbean cruises would be successful I think.

FREE Dole Whips.
More longer cruises. Like 2 weeks out of PC and returning to PC (or same port).

Last edited:
I would love to have restaurants that are like Palo/Remy, but allowing younger kids, or at least allowing kids on couple nights. I just booked A LOT on board activity for DD6 but there was pretty much nothing to book for DS13 who is a foodie and would absolutely be thrilled to try these restaurants.

I know it's highly unlikely and others would hate this idea, but one can always dream.
I would have loved Remy when I was 13. I actually think I'd be okay with having kids in Remy personally. The dress code and ambience make it clear what kind of behavior to expect / will be tolerated. The more casual Palo seems like a recipe for disaster...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!