The fine line between crazy and insane....kickin' asphalt on the way to Goofy '08

Great job!

Cramping is from electrolyte(salts) imbalance(or the lack of) and not the lack of food. You mentioned drinking and packing water but did you drink Powerade or another type of replacement beverage. I pack my own elecrtolyte drink and take 2 endrolytes pills every hr. I live in a 30 degree climate and Zero humidity but have finished the last 3 Goofy's. I have heard plenty of stories this year where runners were diluting thier systems thus causing nausia and headaches. This can lead to hyptenemia and death. Most major marathons have some die every year. They don't understand the issues and think eating a couple of gels will get the salts back.

Good luck to others and study(and learn during training).

Robert...thanks for stopping by.

I did not personally experience cramping but Scott did. We discussed it yesterday at length and figure it was some type of imbalance brought on by him drinking more water due to the humidity and his inability to fuel up properly. Plus, he was so hungry the entire race and that is definitely because he ran the day before and had trouble filling up enough to make up. Neither of us had that problem last year during the full marathon, nor during any of our other marathoning experiences. So we attribute it to the two day event. We both gel...I do so at every 40 minutes and he does about every 50 minutes plus he drank powerade at every stop, but still I think he needed more due to excessive sweating. We carried extra gels in case of emergency, but still his legs cramped. There are studies out there that say cramping can be brought on by other problems....so we're not totally sure what caused the problem.

Thanks for stopping by. It's big business, the Goofy....and the humidity does play a role in Florida. Still we finished respectably and ended up feeling perfectly fine within a few hours of the race. So we consider it a victory for sure.

Amy,
Great to hear about the race-congratulations! As many of us have said you are truly inspiring. I have to tell you the days of the races I was here running and visualizing you guys up ahead and me trying to catch you both.(My husband said "How's that working for you HA HA") It actually worked!

I hope you do decide to go next year- I am a week away from making a final decision about registering. It would be nice to meet everyone.

Here comes the cold again, Have a great day,
Linda

Thanks for stopping by everyone.

Linda...no worries about catching me...I'm an easy target....slow as tar ;). You'll be kicking my butt next year no doubt, assuming I run. That's all up in the air right now.

Anyway....back to teaching this week, no running yet. My leg feels like it's not quite right today so maybe tomorrow's run will be put off a few days. I guess I'm suffering more from goofy than I thought. Plus I've got a head cold now so that always makes us feel worse.

Next week I'll put together a new training plan. I guess I'll still be running and training...although at this point I wonder if it's really "my thing". :confused3 I just need to take time to reassess my fitness goals, my professional goals and everything else. Time to take stock and work out my upcoming year. Sounds daunting LOL!

Anyway...thanks again for all the support. I'll try to post some pics later today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

assuming I run. That's all up in the air right now.

Amy...What exactly does that mean??? hmm??? Are you hurt? You ok?

So sorry to hear are you still suffereing a bit from Goofy. I feel like I'm starting to get a bit sick too. Ears and throat...again!

I can't wait to hear what's next for you. I know you can succeed at whatever you mind your mind too. You are a super stong woman Amy and a great example to your girls and to us.

I really hope your IF you do Goofy next year turns into a WHEN. :goodvibes If not, at least the 1/2??? :confused3 (Yes, this is me, being selfish. I really want to meet up w/ you guys again!) The Goofy is a HUGE thing. I think in your words...battle. You impress me so much. You were a total warrior out there!

I really just want to take this time to tell you how you have impacted my life. We really never know how we are going to affect the ones we are around or other people that we don't even know. Sometimes it's our words, sometimes our actions. In September, you didn't know me. Didn't have a CLUE who I was and yet -- most likely by chance, you were the first person to have an entry in my journal. That was HUGE to me. You didn't have to do that and you didn't have to continue to come back, to offer your support, kind words, suggestions or encouragment. Journaling takes time and in this world our time is precious. It seems there is never enough. So, THANK YOU for spending part of your time on me. The people around me can't really relate to running or training for a 5K, let alone a 15K, half... so I really appreciate being able to come out here and see what you've said in my journal, to read yours as well as a few others. I probably get the most encouragement from you guys.

As I said, journaling takes time and I'm sure do your journaling mostly for your benefit, but I really look forward reading it. I love your posts and amount of thought you put in them. I read about your journey in 2007 and have shared part of your Goofy Quest 2008 with you and I have loved every moment. I know your training and the event itself has at times been challenging, but your motivation and endurance really is a great example. You inspire me to want to do better and do more than just a 5K. So thanks for journalling. Reading you guys journals helps me to stay motivated.

I think you and Scott make an awesome team! It's so great to be able to train with and share the same goals as your friends.

You guys totally rocked Goofy this year and if you do decide to battle him again, I know you will concur him once again. I am so proud of you and couldn't be happier for you. Goofy is a HUGE triumph! I do hope you have revelled in it!

I really wish you all the best with whatever is in front of you. I hope to be able to conitnue to share in whatever is next to come. So, in case I missed saying in up there. THANK YOU.

Stacie

:hug: Thanks Stacie!!! It really was wonderful to meet Matt and you! Thanks for taking time, especially on your special day, to hang with us :).

And don't mind me and my journal. After re-reading what I wrote it sounded a little dramatic like somebody else around here ;). I was feeling down today...I think it's just really hard to come back from a big event like marathon weekend and not have any goals set. Training for the Goofy was such a big part of my life and now I'm sitting here...with little reason to run LOL! It's really odd to be honest.

As for the Minnie...I have to say that it is a big draw that both you and Susan will be down there. I'd love to meet up with you guys. Especially considering that I think you will be training for the 15K right??

Anyway....by Monday I'll know what I'm doing. I just have to really think long and hard about my goals for 2008....and take it from there. I won't stop running because it keeps me sane and helps me deal with life!!!

Love the dramatic stuff!!! Like someone once said "journaling while feeling down is dangerous" :)

May I venture to guess what the mighty Aimster is going to be doing in '08?

.....Minnie.....DL.....Goofy.....(at least that's what I'm crossing my fingers for!)

Hang in there kiddo...we all have tough days. This time of year is very difficult since you are coming down from that huge emotional drain of the Goofy, and in need of training for another race...all which seem so little now (we need to do some Ultra 50 miler or something...then the Goofy will seem smaller and easier)...

Anyway, hang in there and I hope tomorrow is a better day for you!!

Amy,
Stacie and Scott said it all. You sound like the letdown after a long awaited vacation that is now over. The post race blues.

I do hope you reconsider next year as I have said before. I need you guys to keep me going.

Thanks you for the comments in my journal. I do look forward to them.
Linda

Hi Guys.... a pictorial of marathon weekend. Enjoy!

Waiting and waiting and waiting at 4 am day one...

DSC00537.jpg

Waiting and waiting and waiting at 4 am day two ;)...

DSC00553.jpg

The JOY of day one during the Half!

25145-1670-028f.jpg

The agony of mile 24 during the marathon.

Day two is BRUTAL friends!

25142-3330-023f.jpg

LOVE the characters (this one was for my oldest DD):

DSC00557.jpg

And for my little piglet fan....
DSC00541.jpg

All smiles during the HALF:

DSC00542.jpg

All smiles during the Full (well...not Scott ;) ):

25142-2075-024f.jpg

All smiles AFTER the FULL:

DSC00559.jpg

Scott and his FAVORITE sign LOL!

DSC00545.jpg

Love this picture....PURE determination here.

25142-3330-025f.jpg

My DD calls this my "I believe I can fly" picture :lol:

25142-2075-023f.jpg

My DD captioned this picture: She's thinking "how many more miles"....the guys thinking "where's the hotdog stand". Sorry had to include that b/c it cracked me up!!!

25142-638-024f.jpg

FINISH LINE!!!!

25142-2261-034f.jpg

In that last photo, am I cold or just happy to see someone? :rotfl:

Seriously, awesome photo report Amy!! You have some great shots there!! The hot dog stand comment cracks me up!!

Hey Amy!! Awesome photos!! I love looking at everyone's pictures from the weekend!! Can't wait to hear what races you decide on for this year.

Great pictures, Amy!!!!:goodvibes You and Scott really rocked the Goofy!:woohoo: I'm looking forward to hearing about your goals for 2008.:goodvibes

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!:hug:

It IS Monday right???

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

:surfweb: Announcement???

popcorn:: popcorn:: popcorn::

BTW...LOVED your pictures!!! Thanks so much for sharing! :hug:

Stacie

Word on the street says Amy may make an announcement sometime around 2:30pm this afternoon.

;)

GREAT pics, girl!! I'm bursting with pride for you guys! :goodvibes

Hi Guys...:grouphug:

Thanks for caring, and thanks for all the sweet posts! I promise I won't keep putting this off much longer. I'm going to start a new journal that incorporates all my goals for 2008 :).

Here's a little hint...

::MinnieMo :goofy: :tink:

Ummm...

Watching Goofy makes you want to tink?

Uhhhhhh....

Minnie Goofy Pixie....many goofy picks....look right at Goofy and fly?

I'm so stumped.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter