The GOAT AP Year of all AP Years Financial Trip Report: Oct 2019 - March 2021

peabody58

I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!
The GOAT AP Year of all AP Years Financial Trip Report: Oct 2019 - March 2021

Just finish our 4th AP Year at WDW since the early 90’s, and the 3rd as DVC members.

DW and I (63 yo retirees) started this AP Year in Oct 2019 with plans for a huge family GTG at BLT in Oct 2020. Then Covid happened, and we cancelled our May and Oct reservations. We had a lot of DVC points to use or lose, so with a little luck and wait-listing, we replaced those cancelled trips with 4 new trips in Oct/Dec/Jan/March to best optimize the 5 month extension on our AP/TiW cards.

I kept very detailed financials during this period and the results were very eye-opening and reassuring that our 2010 DVC purchase (BLT 160 pts) was a good value for our vacationing patterns and preferences. YMMV but for us, we are very pleased 11 years later. Hope you number crunches enjoy.

Disclaimers/Notes:

1. 7 trips - mostly Mon-Fri 4 nights each in DVC Deluxe Studios - Standard (1 trip in a 1 BR) 29 DVC nights, 36 days total which include stops at my brother in Polk City, FL. 3 trips we were provided upgraded villas worth an extra 115 points (for renting/OOP costs) which were factored into the analysis.

2. Food Costs include outside the bubble dining (w/my brother/SIL), groceries, non-discounted snacks and meals on the road. Cost of TiW Card ($150) accounted for in Misc/Etc costs.

3. Best Case Cost Analysis: Our actual costs using our DVC, TiW, AP Voucher purchased in 2011 (WDW converted it to a Premium AP w/MM). Only used Maintenance Fees as bases for room cost. Original Buy-In costs/Opportunity Costs are not factored in since we anticipate selling for a profit in 10 years and the math is assumes too many variables.

4. Mid Range ‘What-if’ Cost Analysis: Renting DVC points, TiW, Disney AP at June 2019 price (PH and MM included). Assumed Standard Room Categories would not be available to rent, and all rental points (at generous $17 pt) would still be able to be used during Covid reservation cancellations/re-bookings. Having direct control of your DVC Points/Reservations is a real value over renting, but I am not placing any monetary value on this aspect.

5. Worst Case ‘What-If’ Cost Analysis: WDW Costs using Discounted Rack Rates for equivalent DVC villas, 7 sets of Individual Park Tickets w/PH and MM. Resort Parking costs ($25 day) added to Worst Case Discounted Rack Rates. No TiW or AP discounts available.

6. I’m sure these numbers can be tweaked/challenged/altered as needed to support various narratives, but I did try to keep them accurate, apples to apples application, and reflect all discount offers available. Again, YMMV.

Financial Summary for 2 adults / 29 nts / 36 days

DVC Villa Room
DVC MFs
Rent Pts
WDW Cost
Room Cost 29 nights
$2,610​
$8,942​
$19,843​
Avg Room Cost/Night
$90​
$308​
$684​
DVC Points Used
411​
526 (equiv)​
526 (equiv)​
Avg Points Cost/Night
$6.35​
$17.00​
$38 (value)​
DVC Room Savings (%) vs.
N/A​
71%​
660%​
Park Tickets for 2 (30 visits)
DVC AP
WDW AP
w/o AP
Tickets (incl PH & MM)
$893​
$2,438​
$8,731​
Park Cost/Day for 2
$29.76​
$81.27​
$291.03​
DVC Voucher Savings (%) vs.
N/A​
173%​
878%​
Food for 36 days (18% tips)
w/TiW
w/TiW
w/o TiW
Total
$3,926​
$3,926​
$4,333​
Food/Day for 2
$109​
$109​
$116​
Other Costs
Travel (Gas/Tolls/Pets)
$700​
$700​
$700​
Souvenirs / Tips / Etc.
$1,617​
$1,617​
$2,047​
Savings
DVC/AP
Rent/AP
OOP
TiW
$407​
$407​
$0​
AP / DVC
$457​
$457​
$0​
Totals for 2 / 36 vac days
DVC
Rent Pts
WDW OOP
All-in Cost
$9,743​
$18,672​
$35,528​
All-in Cost / Night
$271​
$519​
$987​
All-In DVC Savings (%) vs.
N/A​
92%​
265%​

Conclusion: We had a great time both pre- and post-Covid. We experienced every ride we wanted, often several times. We also got to enjoy many restaurants we wouldn’t normally try, as well as our favorites. DW finally got her Pandora bracelet and Disney charms she’s always wanted. The post-Covid trips were the perfect mental health prescriptions we needed.

So here’s the eye-opening wow. I’m a frugal person and thought we may have been over spending this extended year at WDW. The final tallies for our per day vacation cost for 2 people ($271) was amazing. To put this in proper perspective, our 2019 River Cruise in Amsterdam/Holland was $1,300 a day for 2 (munchies are expensive if you know what I mean), and our senior group western USA trip this Aug will be close to $1,000 a day for 2. In 1999, our family of 4 enjoyed 11 nights at Beach Club to the tune of $1,000 night all-in for 4.

So, did DVC save us money? Considering we only want to stay at WDW at Deluxe Resorts and stay in the bubble, then Yes Even though we spent almost $9,800 we still realized a 71% savings vs. Renting Points, and an over-all 92% savings due to our DVC AP Vouchers from 2011. It is obvious that food and park tickets are our biggest expenses - but dang, we do enjoy our TS dining experiences!. The great thing is that we still have NE+ tickets remaining and another set of AP vouchers remaining to use. Next WDW trip is in May 2022. Next AP Year will be in 2024. WDW will always be our go-to happy place, but as soon as Covid is in the rear-view mirror, we will be travelling overseas again.

Thanks for taking the time to do your cost breakdown 😊. It illustrates completely why Disney doesn’t want to sell APs right now because we don’t make them enough money 😬 DVC stays were our COVID relief too, we didn’t visit the parks though it was just nice to be anywhere else than our house.

wonderful analysis, but think of how much money you would have if you invested all that money in the stock market and had a compound rate of 10%....just kidding.....this is why I, and many others bought DVC in the first place as it is about saving money on vacations, not an alternative investment compared to the stock market.

Very interesting, I love the detailed breakdown.. I think you would need to factor in your original purchase cost and not just the dues to your first column to give a comparison to renting. Probably about $10 a point including dues

Very interesting, I love the detailed breakdown.. I think you would need to factor in your original purchase cost and not just the dues to your first column to give a comparison to renting. Probably about $10 a point including dues
Why? If I sell for a profit (which I expect to) then the room cost is MF's vs. Rental Cost. You do your math your way and I'll do mine my way. Vacation on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter