The Grand Circle Tour, What to expect?

Marsh215

Earning My Ears
I want to do The Grand Circle Tour during my trip 11-5 to 11-7. I have a few questions before I call to book. Has anyone done it? How was it? What made it special? Was it worth it?

I've never been on the Disneyland Railroad, and I will be doing the full loop when I get there regardless if I take the tour.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any reviews, yet. I've seen a few people say they were going to take it and I've been hoping to read a review about it. The railroad is awesome.

Sounds like my opinion is popular.
I have reservations for Sept 23! Can't wait to ride in the Lilly Belle :love:

I'm looking forward to your response.

I love rail, I grew up in the Philly area and have fond memories of riding SEPTA rail as well as the amazing experience I got in Europe!

I have been curious to hear from someone that has done this tour also. We have ridden in the Lilly Belle a few times already so I wouldn't want to pay for just that. But if they include some behind the scenes stuff like the train sheds, etc (like the WDW tour), I would book it for sure.

I want to do The Grand Circle Tour during my trip 9-5 to 9-7. I have a few questions before I call to book. Has anyone done it? How was it? What made it special? Was it worth it?

I've never been on the Disneyland Railroad, and I will be doing the full loop when I get there regardless if I take the tour.
Did you end up taking the tour?

I'm not convinced you'll actually get to ride the Lilly Belle on this tour. The wording was just vague enough-- something like "see the Lilly Belle" or "board the Lilly Belle."

Back from our Grand Circle Tour! And,yes, you get to ride the Lilly Belle :cloud9:. The tour began with a special donut (Grand Circle Tour themed of course). It was maple flavored which is not my favorite but the donut was fresh and there was coffee and hot chocolate available as well. The first 3/4 of the tour was walking and stopping at various spots in DL listening to the tour guide talk about Walt's passion for trains and how it came about. The new technology for this tour is the introduction of photos and videos that you watch from an iPad that the guide is holding. The photos and videos were very relevant but I feel like I had just seen most of them on the PBS special about Walt. But it was cool to hear the people themselves tell stories about the railroad instead of just hearing the guide speak. We made our way to New Orleans Square where we finally boarded the Lilly Belle. It was my first time and I was not disappointed. It was truly beautiful inside...like stepping back to the golden age of steam trains. We rode around the park once with the guide talking about the car and the views from the windows. He, the guide, also took any pictures we wanted of our group in the car. We disembarked at NOS and walked back to the Tour Gardens where a conductor was available for us to ask questions of. She was very knowledgeable and friendly. We received our souveniers at this point also- a ticket to ride the Lilly Belle (the same ones they used to give out to ride) and a replica of the map in the Main St train station building. They updated the map when the track was altered last year and this map reflects that change.

In my opinion, the tour was worth the money. YMMV. I am the kind of person who doesn't mind spending money for special experiences at DL and this was one of those times. Some may say it wasn't worth the money, but right now (until this tour ends) this is the only way to ride in the Lilly Belle. They are not giving tickets out at park opening.
Hope this answers any questions you may have :sunny:

Back from our Grand Circle Tour! And,yes, you get to ride the Lilly Belle :cloud9:.

I have never been so happy to be wrong. I've just been conditioned to read Disney's wording very carefully, and I assumed the worst here. I'll be doing this one on my next visit, provided it's still around. My daughter is itching to ride the Lilly Belle. She actually already has, but she was too young to remember.

In my opinion, the tour was worth the money. YMMV. I am the kind of person who doesn't mind spending money for special experiences at DL and this was one of those times. Some may say it wasn't worth the money, but right now (until this tour ends) this is the only way to ride in the Lilly Belle. They are not giving tickets out at park opening.
Hope this answers any questions you may have :sunny:
On the top of my list of things to do at Disneyland is to ride the Lilly Belle. I'm glad you liked it and I am happy that it includes a snack and some coffee. I called today to book my dates, but they have not released the schedule for it yet. I'm super excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter