The great “mask” debate

Would you wear a mask if required to enter the theme parks?

• Yes

• No

• Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
Take a look at this one. There are many more articles and studies out there: Face masks pose serious risks

It is definitely good to have some science to back things up. But regardless of the science, which is very limited and contradictory on the mask issue right now, I know how to listen to my body. Doctors have been saying that for years: "Your body will give you signs if something is wrong."

I know that when I put on a mask, my body says, "Oh no! This is not right. Why are you doing this to me?" Maybe not in those exact words, but there is definitely a negative reaction. I do wear a mask to the grocery store, given the small but unlikely chance that it might protect someone. But after half an hour or so, I start to get a headache. Why would someone ignore that cue to stop doing something that is causing a negative reaction? Yet we continue to do so. Because we have heard the mantra, "My mask protects you; your mask protects me." It helps people feel like they are good people. So they continue to ignore the warning signs their own bodies give them- and the science which really doesn't support the idea that face coverings are a truly useful tool in the fight against viruses.

I have come over to the dark side to post since I have been in this debate for a week now over on the other boards. But the mask issue is so bothersome to me.

Even though I have three Disney trips planned this summer (one I booked in January and two that are backups for that one in case the first one doesn't go), and I have spent hours booking three sets of fastpasses and three sets of dining reservations, I may have to cancel my summer Disney vacation if they are hardcore enforcing the masks (other than on transportation and in shops- I can handle that).

So I have come back to the dark side to follow along and see if their mask policy will be any more lenient.
At this point, I have thousands of dollars to spend for a summer vacation, and I am ready to spend it at whichever Orlando theme park is willing to make the experience an enjoyable one.

As states are re-opening over the next few weeks, we should have a better idea. More people should be confirmed to have the virus (due to more socializing as well as more wide-spread testing), but the main indicator should be if mortality rates increase, decrease, or remain fairly constant. I'm pretty optimistic at this point that in the Fall little to no restrictions will be required. Having said that, I would probably not take an elderly relative (or someone with a sever immune deficiency) with us as we sometimes do. Of course, this crappy 2020 might pull more shenanigans and have increased hurricanes just to spite us all.

I think the time of year you are planning on going and having to wear a mask is a large factor. You can probably deal with masks between November and April but hitting the warmer more humid summer months will be a deal breaker for many.

We had a July trip planned and mainly due to traveling with my in laws who are older we decided to push off the trip to November, so if mask wearing is still a thing (probably will be) we will be able to manage the weather a bit better.

We're going in August, so I fully expect masks to be required. I do wonder how they're going to handle people eating and drinking as they walk around. My son and I carry water bottles and take a drink every few minutes to stay hydrated. That's a lot of taking a mask off and putting it back on. Are TM's going to fuss at people doing that?

Last edited:
I have no idea but we all will learn more once the parks are opened and time goes by.
I’m guessing things will relax if the virus threats do not escalate in the opening of the parks.

It will be easier to apply strict policies when the parks do open and then slack off or drop them later.

I have no idea but we all will learn more once the parks are opened and time goes by.
I’m guessing things will relax if the virus threats do not escalate in the opening of the parks.

It will be easier to apply strict policies when the parks do open and then slack off or drop them later.

Agreed. And we will absolutely do what is needed to get back to our favorite place. I just wonder how they are going to balance enforcing masks with the need to stay hydrated in the Florida sun :drinking: But I guess we'll all find out soon enough.

We won't be going to WDW or Universal until there is a cure. My husband has cancer and our only child has ADHD/ASD. I can't imagine losing either one. I make face masks for our hospital at their request. If we venture out, which has only been three times since the Stay at Home order was announced we always wear masks. Peace be with all of you and stay safe!

I would think that if you're planning a trip to Disney or Universal in 2020 you should also plan that masks will be mandatory and enforced.

I would think that if you're planning a trip to Disney or Universal in 2020 you should also plan that masks will be mandatory and enforced.
I agree with you. As there have been throughout this whole thing, predictions are easy. But the fact that there could be a slight tick back up for cases of the virus later this year, as things start 'opening up' again, makes a lot of sense to me. I think 2020 is going to be the year of social distancing and protection (stay-at-home, masks, disinfecting, etc). I hope it comes to pass that the optimistic people are right, and some of that is no longer required later in 2020, but I sure don't see it. We're still many many months away from a validated vaccine of any kind. But, like I said, no one knows for sure and predictions are easy - clearly, there are thousands of different predictions just on the Disney boards!

My take on this, is that, if masks are required, it means universal (and other venues) consider it's not "safe enough" to proceed with "normal" operations

so, I will not visit. Not because I am concerned with issues wearing a mask in Florida heat, but because it just seems sensible not to visit places that are considered "unsafe"

My view on this could, of course, be different if I lived a few miles down the road. But from Europe that's 9 or 10 hours on a plane (when and if we're allowed back into the US) and concerns and considerations go way beyond just dealing with a mask on a park day.

I'm ok with risks, security, metal scanners, and the things we now have to deal with before entering parks.
but here it's another story. Drinking and eating are one issue. Also a mask is useless when wet or even slightly damp. And I could go on. Guests would need a lot, and I mean a lot of masks to go through a day ... of course that's if they want to bring meaning to wearing a mask

so many people can't wear masks properly anyway ... lol ... have you seen that kentucky woman on video, who had cut her mask to free her nose and mouth because that made it easier to breathe ...

you can't fix stupid, and that's one of the reasons why I say that, my concerns are not with wearing a mask. I wear one everyday here since we've been released from self isolation (may 11th here in france) but it's with going in places with a large number of people IF a mask is required, because it's required for a reason.

I know that when I put on a mask, my body says, "Oh no! This is not right. Why are you doing this to me?" Maybe not in those exact words, but there is definitely a negative reaction.
Most bodies do the same thing when anything invasive happens (I.e. getting an IV line placed). We are creatures of habit, those who work in ICU units say it’s quickly 2nd nature to them. I’m not there yet lol
I'm pretty optimistic at this point that in the Fall little to no restrictions will be required. Having said that, I would probably not take an elderly relative (or someone with a sever immune deficiency) with us as we sometimes do. Of course, this crappy 2020 might pull more shenanigans and have increased hurricanes just to spite us all.
I’m playing the odds. Most scientists are predicting a more severe bounce back late fall/ early winter. I still have 4 trips on the boards pre Xmas. Hoping for the best but sure not about to book anything non cancellable
I agree with you. As there have been throughout this whole thing, predictions are easy. But the fact that there could be a slight tick back up for cases of the virus later this year, as things start 'opening up' again, makes a lot of sense to me
Educated predictions from scientists hold more water IMO. I have no training in this field, going with experts over those who term themselves smart people ( outside their area of training/expertise)
My take on this, is that, if masks are required, it means universal (and other venues) consider it's not "safe enough" to proceed with "normal" operations
Non N95 Masks are primarily designed to protect others from the wearer’s germs.

Guests are typically unaware of the current levels of park security in place ‘with teeth’.

Mandatory Edicts set by the parks for guests to wear masks ( long after some states have discontinued the guidelines) will likely be in force. Probably until here is a vaccine & new infections are minuscule, This will join other visible measures we all now see in the parks.

Effective to a Large degree if used properly, but It’d just be part of the standard ‘security show’ thats been around since 9-11....visible measures that indicate safeguards are in place, to both deter bad guys & ease minds of nervous potential guests

Last edited:
Im wondering what will happen when a guest with respiratory issues passes out from wearing a mask in the summer heat? Will the park be on the hook legally?
not debating the mask requirements or whether a person who is so compromised should even be in the parks. Just wondering what the liability side of things are.

Im wondering what will happen when a guest with respiratory issues passes out from wearing a mask in the summer heat? Will the park be on the hook legally?
not debating the mask requirements or whether a person who is so compromised should even be in the parks. Just wondering what the liability side of things are.

Guest with respiratory issues who will pass out in heat shouldn't go. Everyone tries bringing up 'what if...' scenarios... If the policy is to wear mask, then it doesn't matter if have medical issue, think it's uncomfortable, have a kid who can't keep a mask on, etc, etc... then you don't go. If the policy is for the general publics safety, then individual liberties are trumped. The policy will be posted very prominently when buying tickets and before entering a park i'm sure, people should know their ability to comply before going as it is an individual responsibility.

And to the liability issue on it's own: I don't see this as any different than any other medical issue at the parks...someone passes out from not drinking enough water, they send a medical team, treat them and either send them on their way or call an ambulance if serious enough. They have then done their due diligence on the matter...it was the individuals responsibility to know their limits and take the appropriate safety measures (in this case, keep hydrated or go rest somewhere cooler), so why would the park be liable for an individuals actions ?

What happens currently when someone passes out from heat exhaustion (as I'm sure it happens enough in the summer heat even without masks)? It's not like a person will be 100% fine and then suddenly pass out on a dime. They'll slowly get weaker and more strained until the point that they finally pass out. If a person is starting to feel a bit unwell but then keeps pushing themselves to the point of passing out, then they should have listened to their bodies earlier and took a break, left the park etc.

Watched a few videos of the first day back and you are fine to pull down your mask and take a drink.
They want you to stay hydrated Im sure.

The masks they sell at universal did not seem very useful - YMMV - put if you have to keep touching it and pulling it back up its not good.
Make sure you bring one from home that you are comfortable with.
Im sure they will get better ones as time goes on - but these initial masks seemed problematic

Many states that require masks have exclusions for those that cannot wear masks for whatever reason - not that people would take a second to ask before annoying someone about that.

As for the experts they have been wrong as many times as they have been right IMO so Ill be watching what happens.
I'd like to do a weekend in June or July , but a mask in that sun and heat is of concern to me.
Still Universal and Disney as a business are well within their rights to require it and I am fine with that, but does not mean I have to go.

I was hoping that by 6/21, masks would not be required - looks like they will so, we will not be coming this year. Coming from Ohio, the heat really hits us hard and we are constantly hydrating in the 90 degree heat - we dont mind it as we know it comes with the territory ( visiting in late June) , but adding masks to that equation is a deal breaker. I just see this being a mess - people's hands are going to be covered with the residue from their masks by constantly touching it and transferring to other surfaces. It is human nature, especially for kids, to fidget with a mask on your face in stifling heat, not to mention having to pull it down every 2 minute to sip water. We were going to spend 5 days at Hard Rock and eat all meals on campus too - Not happening now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter