The Greatest Showman

My wife and I just watched it last weekend...it was decent, but we agreed it was just a one-and-done for us. Entertaining and worth watching once, sure, but nothing so special that we'd need to own it or watch it again.

I am still waiting to see the movie. I have it on hold at the library. Love the Soundstrack!

My 10 year old DD fell in love with it (and I admit I did too). We saw it twice at the theatre and now have it on DVD. And love the soundtrack!

I thought it was refreshing because it was a more grown up movie that my tween could see but nothing too heavy for her. And the message on being yourself, and it showed how people can feel like outcasts etc. Could also talk to her about socioeconomic and race factors that can affect people’s behaviors and treatment.

Now I have no idea of P.T. Barnums real story so maybe it’s all fake, but it did have good messages if you put all that aside

Last edited:

It bothers me how PT Barnum was portrayed in this movie. He wasn't a good person.

I felt the same, but then realized the irony. What this movie was selling, was just the same as what the real PT Barnum would sell.....an escape from reality. Using (some would say abusing) "curiousities" to draw a crowd. This movie had an all star cast, which is most likely what drew people in to begin with. Everyone was curious to see Hugh Jackman. And Zack Efron in a musical as a grown up? I want to see! The critics, for the most part, disliked the movie, but the audiences loved it...... For a movie so far fetched from the truth, the similarities are uncanny.

Saw it twice in the theater, bought it on iTunes the day the digital came out, and have watched that twice (even got dh to watch it, and miraculously he liked it) and have the soundtrack playing in my car very often.

I went to see it reluctantly. I don't like circuses or musicals. I LOVED IT! I, too, bought the soundtrack as soon as we left the theater (I still listen to it frequently) and pre-ordered the Blu-ray. I am honestly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I felt every song, every emotion...I laughed, I cried, I smiled. This movie really got to me. Was not expecting that at all.

And honestly, I wasn't going to watch a biography. I was going to watch actors perform in a movie.

I went with DD to see it a few weeks after it came out. We had the choice between regular showing and Sing-a-Long. I remember thinking "Seriously? A sing-a-long?" LOL - my toes were tapping after the opening scene and I leaned over to my daughter and whispered "I can already understand why they have sing-a-long showings." The music definitely draws you in quickly.

I pre-ordered it to give my DD on her birthday and I can't wait to watch it again :)

I saw the movie by myself in December, and ended up watching it two more times. I also like the two youtube videos that were shared earlier. I listen to the soundtrack often. I like all the songs, and recently got the movie on Amazon. I now wish I had got the dvd so I could see the extras. I love this musical, and I'm glad that it doesn't tell the real story of PT Barnum. I don't think it would have had the repeatability factor for me if it had.

LOVE this movie! I also came straight home and bought the soundtrack after seeing the movie in December. My DH purchased the movie for me the day it came out on DVD because I kept talking about how great the movie was. Love Hugh Jackman! I still remember the year he did the Oscars. My DH and I looked at each other after the opening act and couldn't believe he could sing and dance that good! Who knew the Wolverine had it in him!

I'm fine with the fact that it's not historically accurate. It's a musical. It's fictional. It's based on his life, but it's not billed as a non-fiction historical movie. I have no problem with the fact that the movie portrays PT Barnum completely differently from how he actually was. Doesn't bother me at all.

The Greatest Showman just came out for rent on On Demand. I watched it 3 times in the 48 hour rental period I had and bought it at the store in the 49th hour, along with the soundtrack, which Ive been playing non stop for days.

Was excited to come on here and chat with other TGS lovers and scrolled through 6 pages without seeing one mention of this fabulous movie. Am I alone...or did I miss the boat being talked about when it was in theaters? Hoping it will be coming to a live stage soon. I could TOTALLY see it on stage at Disney...but its not a Disney film :(

It is a great movie. It's also a movie you want to see on the big screen, so hopefully some theaters show it again in a few years. I called my mom afterwards as she always waits for the movies to come on netflix, etc. and told her it is a MUST to watch on the big screen. Even the director and cast promote seeing it on the big screen to get the full effects.

It is a great movie. It's also a movie you want to see on the big screen, so hopefully some theaters show it again in a few years. I called my mom afterwards as she always waits for the movies to come on netflix, etc. and told her it is a MUST to watch on the big screen. Even the director and cast promote seeing it on the big screen to get the full effects.
I wish I had known. Like I said in an earlier post, I am not a movie watcher at all. Last time I went to the theater, I think I saw Titanic! I did kind of kick myself I didnt go to a theater to see this one. Im sure its amazing on the big screen. I only watched because I happened t be home and close to the living room while my daughter started watching it during her vacation week. Normally Im at work, at sports practices/games, running errands, making dinner, cleaning house, doing laundry etc..etc.. I dont have time to sit for 2 hours!!! But I just sat for 6 :rotfl::rotfl:

The Greatest Showman just came out for rent on On Demand. I watched it 3 times in the 48 hour rental period I had and bought it at the store in the 49th hour, along with the soundtrack, which Ive been playing non stop for days.

Was excited to come on here and chat with other TGS lovers and scrolled through 6 pages without seeing one mention of this fabulous movie. Am I alone...or did I miss the boat being talked about when it was in theaters? Hoping it will be coming to a live stage soon. I could TOTALLY see it on stage at Disney...but its not a Disney film :(

Of course it was discussed on Dis!!!! lol I started a thread back in December.....I was so moved by the movie and the music.

here it is:

https://disboards.com/threads/the-greatest-showman-movie.3654489/

I saw the movie 3 times in the theatre (love my Movie Pass)....most recently last week!! Didn't realize the version I was seeing this time was a sing-along...I have to say I felt it distracted me. No one sang along but you heard a lot of foot tapping going on. I LOVE the movie and absolutely love the soundtrack. I play the CD in my car all the time, play it on Alexa in the house....just love it. I need a new car soon and I hear most don't have CD players anymore....maybe I'll have to get a used car LOL.

I know it is not a true representation of Barnum but it is a movie....a feel-good movie. It does not proclaim to be a documentary on his life.

MJ

Last edited:
It bothers me how PT Barnum was portrayed in this movie. He wasn't a good person.

Why would you let something like this bother you? Lot more important things to worry about family,friends, pets health issues. School shootings, terroists, work issues. Don’t worry about the small things you have no control over it will eat you up.

I saw it 4 times in theaters with different groups of friends and family. Each time, I could not stop smiling. Bought the soundtrack immediately. Downloaded the digital version the day it came out because I was leaving on vacation and wanted something great to watch on the plane. Bought the DVD the day it came out because I was taking care of my parents at the time, they dont have a smart tv and I wanted my mom to be able to enjoy it - I not only smiled, but found myself crying through it - the emotion just got me.

We just finished watching it at my DD9’s request and loved it! It was so well done and the music is fantastic. I’m probably going to end up purchasing the soundtrack. I wasn’t expecting to like it as much as I did.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter