The longest you have waited in a line, and what for

Waiting in line 13 hours for the General Admission line for U2. We had tickets. We were in line for a good position in the standing room area

I camped out for U2 Tickets for their September 1987 Philly show at the old JFK Stadium (where LiveAid USA was held). I got crap seats...JFK was huuuuuuuuge...so I decided to try for standing room. I was so close to the stage I could have seen up Bono's nose. However, it was not to be. Everyone was pushing and shoving to get closer to the stage and I was pressed up against a barricade and couldn't get a deep breath. So, well, I fainted. I was pulled out of the crowd and taken to first aid. I wound up staying for the show and went to my crap seat. Fabulous concert, though-Bruce Springsteen came out and played a song with the band during the encore. AND, on my way out of my crappy seating area I found a thick gold chain on the ground and sold it the next day to a jeweler for a hundred bucks. So, the concert wound up being free and then some.

Does military stuff count? I had many, many military air transport hops, where they would direct us to get to the terminal by [insert unreasonable time here], and then we would end up waiting for hours or even days for whatever aircraft would show and take us. We were marooned on the Azores for 2-3 days. It would have been cool if we could have done a little sight-seeing, but of course we had to stay at the terminal "just in case." I've slept in various hangars, maintenance shops, temporary shelters, and on lots of air terminal floors while in this Hurry-Up-and-Wait mode.

Thanks for your military service.

About 5 hours to get my Maker's Mark Secretariat bottle signed by Penny Chenery and Ron Turcotte. I expected to wait an hour or two but the crowd was way bigger than expected. And silly me, it started early in the day so I thought I'd just go into work an hour or two late. So I was wearing dress clothes and shoes. It was awful.

But also worth it <3

Top Thrill Dragster at Cedar Point. Back when it was still the tallesy coaster in the world (it's still #2). Approximately 5 hours.

I camped out for U2 Tickets for their September 1987 Philly show at the old JFK Stadium (where LiveAid USA was held). I got crap seats...JFK was huuuuuuuuge...so I decided to try for standing room. I was so close to the stage I could have seen up Bono's nose. However, it was not to be. Everyone was pushing and shoving to get closer to the stage and I was pressed up against a barricade and couldn't get a deep breath. So, well, I fainted. I was pulled out of the crowd and taken to first aid. I wound up staying for the show and went to my crap seat. Fabulous concert, though-Bruce Springsteen came out and played a song with the band during the encore. AND, on my way out of my crappy seating area I found a thick gold chain on the ground and sold it the next day to a jeweler for a hundred bucks. So, the concert wound up being free and then some.

Ugh. Yeah, we went to the Vertigo tour, and by that time they had the "bomb shelter" area, inside a ramp/catwalk, that was based on a lottery. We ended up outside that area, but right around the catwalk, so we could see the band as they walked around the oval:

1024px-U2VertigoTourStage.jpg

It was ALSO a Philly show. Two ladies from NJ were getting really friendly with me, but fortunately neither myself nor my wife fainted. Sorry you got crushed!

Also, I am pretty sure I have a bootleg of Springsteen from that show in '87. They sung Stand By Me.

Last edited:
Another Cedar Point coaster. Mean Streak a few weeks after it opened in 1991. We ran to it first thing, but it was on the far side of the park from the main entrance and we must have taken a wrong turn somewhere because the line was already an hour long by the time we reached it. Then the ride stopped running for a while at least twice while we were waiting. Finally got to ride after about 2.5 hours. When leaving the area afterwards, employees were telling guests the wait was 5 hours long.

Fortunately most other coasters had short waits that day because practically everybody was in the Mean Streak line. We probably rode Gemini and Magnum about 6 or 7 times each.

90 minutes for Toy Story Midway Mania, 2 years after it opened. We hadn't ridden it yet. It was our first day at Disney, we'd done everything we wanted, still had time to kill before our dinner ADR. NEVER will I wait that long for anything again; standing on that concrete floor for that long really flared up my sciatica, and I was uncomfortable for the rest of the trip. Grrrr.... bad choice on our part!

Signing up for classes as a Freshman at University back in the 80's when everything was done on paper. The lines were 100's of people long and took hours, basically the entire day. Most of us sat on the dusty floors and got up to move every once in a while as the line moved at a glacial pace.

Was that the norm for your college? Back then we would submit our class choices on a paper form. I believe we had to put second and third choices as well. Almost all of the time you got the classes you wanted, but maybe not in the exact time frame.

The only time you needed to wait in line was if you neglected to turn in the forms on time or if all sections of a class were full.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!