***The Official AKV Owners And Lovers Thread***. Come And Chat

Congrats and have a blast! We’re doing the same in April. Taking my sister, BIL and two nephews 11 and 9 for their first trip to the world. It’s such a great feeling to be able to share this experience with them! Enjoy!
It is so much fun to be able to share.. thats part of my problem.. I want to take everyone with us! One reason is we have an only child and he has so much more fun if he has some kids to hang with.... plus its just fun to watch people experience it for the first time.... Thats why I need more points!

I am using my AKV dvc for the first time March 2018 for spring break.. I am so excited. We are taking a friend and her family with us, her two kids have not been yet, so we are doing princess stuff for 5 year old and star wars stuff for the 8 year old... my 9 yr old is so happy to have some kids to hang with... should be a great time. We are getting the dining plan so have great meals planned etc. Can't wait!! Any tips for us?
That sounds fun :) I love when family and friends can join in.
My only tip to you, just take it easy. You'll want to show your friend's kids everything, but since everything is new give them time to absorb and remember what they do encounter. Running around and over planning tends to make for grumpy kids (particularly the young ones, but can make adults grumpy too ;) ). Leave some magic under wraps for future visits.

You said that you're using the dining plan, but most folk find they can do far better by just paying out of pocket and using discounts (DVC, AP, Visa) I find the dining plan vs cash comparison tool at http://www.distripplanner.com/ to be very helpful. The owner of that page tends to keep it updated with the current average prices for all locations. For some, the cost of the plan verses cash is too close and they like the feel of having credits to use on food. I can understand that.

It is so much fun to be able to share.. thats part of my problem.. I want to take everyone with us! One reason is we have an only child and he has so much more fun if he has some kids to hang with.... plus its just fun to watch people experience it for the first time.... Thats why I need more points!
We have an only child as well. She's excited that next December we'll be bringing family as well...though she also loves that we'll have done 3 trips without anyone joining us, since joining DVC earlier this year, prior to that trip.

That sounds fun :) I love when family and friends can join in.
My only tip to you, just take it easy. You'll want to show your friend's kids everything, but since everything is new give them time to absorb and remember what they do encounter. Running around and over planning tends to make for grumpy kids (particularly the young ones, but can make adults grumpy too ;) ). Leave some magic under wraps for future visits.

You said that you're using the dining plan, but most folk find they can do far better by just paying out of pocket and using discounts (DVC, AP, Visa) I find the dining plan vs cash comparison tool at http://www.distripplanner.com/ to be very helpful. The owner of that page tends to keep it updated with the current average prices for all locations. For some, the cost of the plan verses cash is too close and they like the feel of having credits to use on food. I can understand that.
Thanks for the advice! I do hope to take it a little easier, my last trip with my cousins family we were park warriors and I am looking forward to a little more laid back trip this time.. little more rest etc. Great advice!! As far as the dining plan, my friends husband is a foodie... he is not so thrilled with coming to disney, although he has never been, so maybe he will be pleasantly surprised! But, he loves to eat so we booked ohana, character breakfast at tusker house, Boma and lunch in the castle... I wasnt going to do dining plan but when you add in these meals.. its super close to making sense... I will take a look at that link you gave me! Thanks so much! KIM

We have an only child as well. She's excited that next December we'll be bringing family as well...though she also loves that we'll have done 3 trips without anyone joining us, since joining DVC earlier this year, prior to that trip.
Thats great! our son would still enjoy it... but just little better with friends...

My DH and I are thinking about purchasing DVC at AKL. I just read on a Facebook post that the thermostats do not go as low in DVC rooms as they do in regular rooms. Can anyone tell me how low they can be set in the AKL DVC studios?

My DH and I are thinking about purchasing DVC at AKL. I just read on a Facebook post that the thermostats do not go as low in DVC rooms as they do in regular rooms. Can anyone tell me how low they can be set in the AKL DVC studios?
This is true of all Disney hotel and DVC rooms, as far as I've seen. The following thread has instructions for various types of thermostats at Disney: Thermostat ? I'm sorry to ask!
I've used the instructions in my post on that thread for AKV, but I don't recall which of the four options it was. In any case, you should be able to figure out which is the correct option based on what buttons you see.

Will be getting a savanna view studio at 7 months out in Jambo, during the beginning of October doable? If your online right at 8 a.m.?

Last edited:
Will be getting a savanna view studio at 7 months out in Jambo, during the beginning of October doable? If your online right at 8 a.m.?
AKL is huge. You shouldn’t have a problem especially if it’s not a holiday/race week. Best of luck!

I'm trying to finish my packing list and hoping someone would know the answers to a few random questions...

Background... we're staying 9 nights in a 2br at Kidani. Myself, DH and our 3 kiddos are there the whole time. Our divorced and remarried parents are rotating through for 2 nights each (4 sets of grandparents....what was I thinking?!?!) anyways....

We're going to do breakfasts in the villa...packing some groceries and having some delivered.
  • Coffee makers...still regular, not Kurig? What type of filters do they take?
  • Cookware...is there a cupcake/muffin pan there?
  • Freezer space...anyone know how big it is?
  • Paper goods... I know about the Day 4 and Day 8 mousekeeping rotation...but will they restock paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues) if you runout in Between? If so, is there a charge?
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!!!

I'm trying to finish my packing list and hoping someone would know the answers to a few random questions...

Background... we're staying 9 nights in a 2br at Kidani. Myself, DH and our 3 kiddos are there the whole time. Our divorced and remarried parents are rotating through for 2 nights each (4 sets of grandparents....what was I thinking?!?!) anyways....

We're going to do breakfasts in the villa...packing some groceries and having some delivered.
  • Paper goods... I know about the Day 4 and Day 8 mousekeeping rotation...but will they restock paper goods (toilet paper, paper towels, tissues) if you runout in Between? If so, is there a charge?

The coffee makers are 12 cup Mr coffee type - flat bottom filters.
If you run out of papergoods then yes, you can call housekeeping for more. There is no charge for those items.

I’m sitting in a 1 br. @ Jambo as I type this, so not 100% sure the kitchen is the same over in Kidani, but:
- regular coffee maker, basket filter
- no cupcake/muffin pan
- looks like a 30” single door refrigerator w/ approx. 30”x20” freezer on top (that’s my eyeball best guess)
- not sure on paper goods, but there’s 2 big rolls of paper towels (one above the counter, one under the kitchen sink) & 2 boxes of Kleenex can’t check on TP as someone is in the spa tub @ the moment :)

Can someone possibly answer a question for me? Does anyone know if a standard view deluxe studio villa in Jambo house offer bunk beds as an option? I see the queen bed and the pullout sofa bed but we have two older boys who do not want to share a bed together. I was thinking we might have to upgrade to a Savannah view if we can't get a standard view room with bunks. Thanks!

Can someone possibly answer a question for me? Does anyone know if a standard view deluxe studio villa in Jambo house offer bunk beds as an option? I see the queen bed and the pullout sofa bed but we have two older boys who do not want to share a bed together. I was thinking we might have to upgrade to a Savannah view if we can't get a standard view room with bunks. Thanks!

Bunk beds are not an option offered in any DVC room other than the Treehouses at SSR.

The bunkbed options were/are in some of the hotel rooms.

Correct. You get the luck of the draw when staying in the value category rooms.
Note, I was told that the room assigners do their job about two weeks out. Which means anyone checking in next week already has a room assigned to them now. Doesn't matter which category.
Can a request be made if staying in Standard View Deluxe Studio Villa? If so, any suggestions?

We just returned a few days ago from a two week trip to AKL-Jambo. It was our first trip there. Wow, what a beautiful and relaxing resort. There are just so many nice places to stop and sit and enjoy the atmosphere. The Christmas decorations were really unique and the main lobby area is really well done. The sounds and the smells also really add to the atmosphere. We saw animals everywhere. We had a partial view room but it was excellent. Every day we saw a range of animals. Entertainment at the resort exceeded expectations. Nigh vision googles were great fun, kids loved collecting beads, and CM's were exceptional. Very knowledgeable. Food choices were all excellent. We enjoyed Boma breakfast the most, but everything else on property was very good as well, including some very unique options we had not seen at other resorts (e.g., Zebra Domes). I love Disney parks, but I have to say, almost all of my major highlights on this trip were at the resort. I will say, that in our experience, the busses to MK, HS, and Epcot were slow. We found we tended to wait a little longer for the bus to show up and then of course the drive was a little longer compared to other places we have stayed. Overall though, we are not talking about major time, and I really think the resort makes up for any extra bus wait time. As well, if you spend a lot of time at AK, there were lots of those busses, and the drive was very quick (few minutes). Anyone know why they never put in a walking path between AKL and AK? Seems like it would add some value. Anyway, just wanted to share our experiences. We definitely can't wait to return in 2018!

Can a request be made if staying in Standard View Deluxe Studio Villa? If so, any suggestions?
Are you staying at Kidani or at Jambo? You can make a request, but what you may want to request will be different depending on which building you are staying at.

Just got back last night from our trip to a Kidani savanna view room (dedicated 2br). The resort is beautiful as always, but the seasonal touches really bump it up a notch higher, if possible.
Employees all were so pleasant and helpful. Our view was wonderful. I still say you cannot go wrong by staying here.

Now the negatives, some trips there are none but this was the trip of issues (everything from TSA and Magical Express to the guest attitudes and of course, the room did not want to be left out). So, some quick comments I will relay here and will also write to DVC to let them know some things need to be worked on:

First: The Sleeper sofas in the living room of the 2 br units are no where near as comfortable as the old ones we had in the studios. I'm not sure if they changed out the studios to a similar mattress (it's a smaller double sized bed as opposed to the queen in the larger units) but the mattresses now seem to be about half the thickness and for a young 20 year old with a back issue to try to sleep on it was a no-go. The chair was no better for her. I can no longer recommend that adults sleep on the pull out.

Mousekeeping was not on point this trip. Our dishes had been put away into the cabinets dirty (lipstick on glasses and oil in pots). Found beads and retainer elastics laying on top of the rugs right in the middle of the floor, the vacuuming was a bit shabby. One of our bath towels had large brown stains on it. :scared:

I'd like to say that was the limit of our room problems, but it was not. Our upstairs neighbors had about 12 or more people in a Grand Villa. It sounded and felt as though we were sleeping below grand central station for the entire trip. We did call the front desk a number of times to ask if they could call and mention quiet hours to our neighbors, but I don't think they did anything. Balls bouncing, constant chairs being dragged, children stomping and we could even hear the screaming directly through the ceiling that continued the entire trip from about 6:30am to 1am every single day. I've had friends with ADD kids and know how hard it can be to get them to bed and stay in bed for more than a few hours, but this was as though there were multiples. If so, they have my sympathy, it's a rough sleepless life. If not, good grief! What were they doing? It was good to get home last night and wake up this morning to the relatively quiet sounds of construction from across the street. ;)

That's it. I still love Kidani - The staff is among the best on property. The rooms are beautiful. The view is even more-so if you love animals. We were just dealt a poor hand from the start this time, it happens.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!