*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Because everyone is now let on to Main Street before park opening. Usually around 7:45 on a 9 AM opening day. Unfortunately, the days of pics on an empty Main Street are over.
Really? Oh well, it was really to dine with Pooh anyway - the photos were just an added extra . Thanks for the heads up anyway, it will save us some disappointment when we get there.

Really? Oh well, it was really to dine with Pooh anyway - the photos were just an added extra . Thanks for the heads up anyway, it will save us some disappointment when we get there.

It is a nice meal! My 11 year old son's favorite memory of our 2016 is Tigger at our Crystal Palace dinner. "Tigger gives great hugs!"

We still love it though too. We are considering ‘Ohana for dinner but don’t know if it would be overkill to do breakfast AND dinner there on the same day? We are staying at the Poly so it would be convenient...
I don't think it would be overkill since you are staying there.

Because everyone is now let on to Main Street before park opening. Usually around 7:45 on a 9 AM opening day. Unfortunately, the days of pics on an empty Main Street are over.
I considered not getting the early ADR because of that but think it would still be nice to enjoy breakfast before using park time to eat there.

Am I missing something? Disney hasn't released park hours, which makes it a little hard to choose which park to visit each day, but I'm supposed to plan out all of my meals and make reservations next week?

Also, I'm on the west coast - does that mean that I have to get up at 4am to TRY to get my reservations? Will everything be gone before 9am PST (after my kids are all fed and out the door)?

If you are trying to get a very popular restaurant, and / or time (ex. Crystal Palace 8:05 breakfast, Cinderella's Royal Table, Rose and Crown in time to watch Illuminations) you might well be out of luck. If you have some leeway in where you eat, and / or the time, you will be fine.

Joining in for a Poly/GF split stay August 17-25! So I was just poking around on MDE and noticed that it looks like park hours are listed through August 18th if you go to My Itinerary - Add Plans - Add Parks and Places.

I think I love you :) Great job spotting that!

How come?

Traditionally, you would get great pictures on Main Street, and even by the castle, with almost no one around, then get your breakfast, and still be at the front of the crowd for rope drop. Now, well, not so much. Main Street will have plenty of people. Getting Castle pics with no one around isn't likely, and by the time you get out of breakfast, there will already be a crowd lined up waiting to go into what ever land you are headed for.

That having been said, if you are going to Crystal Palace for the food, the interaction with the characters, and because that breakfast in the park is a lovely way to start your day at the Magic Kingdom (and these are the reasons you SHOULD be going for breakfast at the Crystal Palace PPO) then by all means, carry on, you will be getting out of the experience exactly what you expect to!

I don't think it would be overkill since you are staying there.

I considered not getting the early ADR because of that but think it would still be nice to enjoy breakfast before using park time to eat there.

It is always nice to get that early breakfast. To be honest, I can't think of a better way to start a day at the park!

Hi all,
How did I not know this existed! We’re coming 6 - 20th August staying at OKW. Our ADR window opened yesterday and we got everything we wanted except BOG dinner. We’ve snagged lunch there just in case the dinner reservations don’t materialise. Still got a few to book but super excited to be eating at
The Crystal Palace (PPO Breakfast)
Coral Reef
‘Ohana
Sci Fi
T Rex
Tusker House
Sanaa
California Grill (on my birthday)
Skipper Canteen
SAN Angel Inn
Spice Road Table
STK
Yak and Yeti
Phew! That’s a lot of food. Can’t wait. I’m off now to catch up on the rest of this thread. :love:

Love Sci-Fi...it is so neat!

Last time we went to WDW, DS had an absolute blast doing the Agent P missions in Epcot and the Wilderness Training in AK. He played around a bit with SOTMK in MK but didn’t get into it as much.

I’ve read about a Pirate’s Adventure in MK but was wondering if anyone had done it and how was it? Also, are there anything other things at WDW like the ones that DS has already done?

Joining in for a Poly/GF split stay August 17-25! So I was just poking around on MDE and noticed that it looks like park hours are listed through August 18th if you go to My Itinerary - Add Plans - Add Parks and Places.

I just checked and it only had up to August 5! I sort of figured it will be the same when I go (aug. 10-18), but anybody know the time of the DVC epcot event? Am I to assume it will start after park closes at 9pm?

I’ve read about a Pirate’s Adventure in MK but was wondering if anyone had done it and how was it? Also, are there anything other things at WDW like the ones that DS has already done?[/QUOTE]

The treasure hunt in adventureland. It's near pirate's of the Caribbean and is limited to just adventureland. My daughter loved it. There's a small kiosk building with a sign to pick up the treasure map and start the adventure.

If you are trying to get a very popular restaurant, and / or time (ex. Crystal Palace 8:05 breakfast, Cinderella's Royal Table, Rose and Crown in time to watch Illuminations) you might well be out of luck. If you have some leeway in where you eat, and / or the time, you will be fine.

I think I love you :) Great job spotting that!

Traditionally, you would get great pictures on Main Street, and even by the castle, with almost no one around, then get your breakfast, and still be at the front of the crowd for rope drop. Now, well, not so much. Main Street will have plenty of people. Getting Castle pics with no one around isn't likely, and by the time you get out of breakfast, there will already be a crowd lined up waiting to go into what ever land you are headed for.

That having been said, if you are going to Crystal Palace for the food, the interaction with the characters, and because that breakfast in the park is a lovely way to start your day at the Magic Kingdom (and these are the reasons you SHOULD be going for breakfast at the Crystal Palace PPO) then by all means, carry on, you will be getting out of the experience exactly what you expect to!

It is always nice to get that early breakfast. To be honest, I can't think of a better way to start a day at the park!
Luckily, that’s exactly why we are going. It will be our first proper full day at WDW and we will still be running on UK time so it will feel like lunchtime by then. Thanks for the info :)

Last time we went to WDW, DS had an absolute blast doing the Agent P missions in Epcot and the Wilderness Training in AK. He played around a bit with SOTMK in MK but didn’t get into it as much.

I’ve read about a Pirate’s Adventure in MK but was wondering if anyone had done it and how was it? Also, are there anything other things at WDW like the ones that DS has already done?

I'm sure your son would love the Pirate's Adventures! We are planning to do some with our boys. DH and I are 40-somethings and we did a few of them last November. It was fun! I think there are 7 in all, but we only did 3. We got paper fastpasses to PotC after completing one of them. I think the 2nd one.

Joining! We’ll be heading back to the World August 6-12 (though, I already have an itch to extend) and are staying at the Poly. We’ve never gone to Disney in August and are excited about exploring the pros of trying a different month. This will be our daughter’s 4th time at Disney and she turns 6 this year-quite a lucky kid. ;-). I was fortunate enough to spend many days as a kid at both WDW and DL while my DH is an adult convert. So excited to continue planning our trip and learning the tricks of the trades from even more seasoned Disers.

Thanks for the tip to view hours through the itinerary jbeyes! Looks like the hours I can see for my week so far (through the 21st) align with last year's, so my planning should be good for ADR time this weekend!

Busy week for me! Southwest opens on Thursday and my ADR is Friday. Bummed BOG dinner is not happening. Our family loves the grey stuff! Trying to decide over our ten day trip which four buffets we want to do. Kids keep changing their minds each day! Tusker for late breakfast on AK day is a must do, but having trouble narrowing down the other three.

Is the speculation that 6pm close nights are for MNSSHP? So far the 17th and 21st are showing up as 6pm closes.
That is typically the speculation, but I'm not sure that I believe MNSSHP on the 17th and 21st of August. I'm also not sure that I believe MK closing at 10 on the 18th, and then going to 9 from the 19th on. That seems kind of early in the month for the shorter hours.

That is typically the speculation, but I'm not sure that I believe MNSSHP on the 17th and 21st of August. I'm also not sure that I believe MK closing at 10 on the 18th, and then going to 9 from the 19th on. That seems kind of early in the month for the shorter hours.
It seems crazy early, but then again so does August. More dates =more $$ ;) Time will tell!

Is the speculation that 6pm close nights are for MNSSHP? So far the 17th and 21st are showing up as 6pm closes.

This does seem really early but the parade also switched to 2:00 on 08/19 so maybe the first MNSSHP will be on 08/21? Not sure about the 17th though since the parade is still at 3:00.

So Trying to book my dining and my kids have only one request "Hollywood and Vine." I know people don't like it but it's a must for my kids. Now I'm trying to figure out where else to dine. :o I've also done California Grill at our No Park day and Akershus on our Epcot day. Trying to figure out my other days.

So Trying to book my dining and my kids have only one request "Hollywood and Vine." I know people don't like it but it's a must for my kids. Now I'm trying to figure out where else to dine. :o I've also done California Grill at our No Park day and Akershus on our Epcot day. Trying to figure out my other days.
I would NEVER rule out any restaurant based on the reviews it gets. Everyone has different taste. What some hate, others will love. Perfect examples . . . . Tony's Town Square. It constantly gets awful reviews, and for good reason. The food is mediocre at best, and yet, my 23 year old daughter absolutely has to have supper at Tony's every trip. It doesn't matter that the food is about like eating a Swansons microwave meal, it is one of her absolute favorite meals in all of Disney World. Sci-Fi Dine-in also consistently gets bad reviews. I've eaten there quite a few times, and always enjoyed it. T-Rex and Rainforest Cafe' . . . bad reviews. I actually enjoy them both. Planet Hollywood . . . gets absolutely beaten up. Again, I enjoy it, as does the rest of my family.

BOG on the other hand, got great reviews when it opened. I didn't care for it at all, and neither did the rest of my family. Cosmic Rays gets bad reviews, I happen to love the roasted chicken there.

Some of my favorite table service places include Liberty Tree, Crystal Palace, Rose and Crown, 'Ohana, and Tusker House.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter