*** The Official August 2018 Thread*** - let's have some fun....

Hey fellow Augusters (Augustees?) lol i need a scoch of a pick me up for this years trip. We've been to Disney and Uni multiple times and have always loved it. Last year i was so excited to plan our Uni trip, but this year i feel like kinda blah about our Disney trip...don't get me wrong, i'm still looking forward to going but i would be lying if i said i hadn't thought about switching to the park up the street instead :rolleyes1 I don't know if it's all the negativity towards Disney, the changes they're making, or what. The only threads i read now are this one, free dining, and the Pop one (we had to switch from WL)...i'm trying to avoid anything that will mess with my opinion. This will also be the first trip for DBF and i want him to love it as much as DD11 and I do, maybe i'm too worried about that part of it :confused3 I know it's going to be a great trip and it's DISNEY so no matter what happens i'll still be at my happy place, but i just can't shake this blah feeling :( Sorry if i'm rambling or sound whiny, but i wanted to get this off my chest and nobody else understands.

The boards have a way of encouraging that blah feeling. Unfortunately, a lot of people pop on here to complain about things, and it gives the place a kind of overall negative feeling. Certainly, there are things that have changed at Disney that are not necessarily for the better, but it is still a wonderful vacation! You will have an amazing time!

Hey fellow Augusters (Augustees?) lol i need a scoch of a pick me up for this years trip. We've been to Disney and Uni multiple times and have always loved it. Last year i was so excited to plan our Uni trip, but this year i feel like kinda blah about our Disney trip...don't get me wrong, i'm still looking forward to going but i would be lying if i said i hadn't thought about switching to the park up the street instead :rolleyes1 I don't know if it's all the negativity towards Disney, the changes they're making, or what. The only threads i read now are this one, free dining, and the Pop one (we had to switch from WL)...i'm trying to avoid anything that will mess with my opinion. This will also be the first trip for DBF and i want him to love it as much as DD11 and I do, maybe i'm too worried about that part of it :confused3 I know it's going to be a great trip and it's DISNEY so no matter what happens i'll still be at my happy place, but i just can't shake this blah feeling :( Sorry if i'm rambling or sound whiny, but i wanted to get this off my chest and nobody else understands.
We love Pop! The refurb looks awesome, and it is so much fun there anyway. Have you stayed there before?

Don't worry about making DBF fall in love with Disney, just go and have fun :) And if you want to visit Uni, go for it! My 11yo is a Harry Potter FANATIC and will be spending a day with her oldest sister (and possibly DH) exploring the WWoHP. And I really like Uni but it definitely makes me appreciate the customer service at Disney when I get back to the bubble.

The boards have a way of encouraging that blah feeling. Unfortunately, a lot of people pop on here to complain about things, and it gives the place a kind of overall negative feeling. Certainly, there are things that have changed at Disney that are not necessarily for the better, but it is still a wonderful vacation! You will have an amazing time!

I'm glad it's not just me that notices the negativity...it really had me thinking crud has it changed that much since 2015 lol but I guess it's like everything else, an unhappy person is more likely to say something than a happy one.

We love Pop! The refurb looks awesome, and it is so much fun there anyway. Have you stayed there before?

Don't worry about making DBF fall in love with Disney, just go and have fun :) And if you want to visit Uni, go for it! My 11yo is a Harry Potter FANATIC and will be spending a day with her oldest sister (and possibly DH) exploring the WWoHP. And I really like Uni but it definitely makes me appreciate the customer service at Disney when I get back to the bubble.

Yes, we've stayed at Pop twice and love it! DD is looking forward to doing the animation class at AoA and loves that it's only a short walk.

I'm glad it's not just me that notices the negativity...it really had me thinking crud has it changed that much since 2015 lol but I guess it's like everything else, an unhappy person is more likely to say something than a happy one.

Yes, we've stayed at Pop twice and love it! DD is looking forward to doing the animation class at AoA and loves that it's only a short walk.
Yup, the boards have a way of dragging you down. There are things that have changed at Disney, and not for the better, but there are also things that are better, so you take the good with the bad. We still have a great time when we go to Disney.

As far as DBF loving it, I would venture to say that is 75% in your control. If he is getting the extra hugs and kisses, and generally made to feel like you are having a great time, and really enjoy being there with him, I have a feeling that he will have an amazing time, and be more than happy to go back again.

Finally back on track with my August trip and lots of changes. Flights were crazy expensive out of Toronto on a Sunday so changed my dates to the 21-28. My niece's camp dates were confirmed so she is definitely free and able to come to Disney. Our resort has changed from WL to the Poly due to availability. But we are going to Disney!!!!! Let the planning begin!

Because apparently I can’t leave good enough alone and because DH and I keep watching WDW YouTube videos, it looks like we might be extending our trip by two days. We really can’t tack on days at the end so as long as we can change our flights to MCO to two days earlier then we are changing our dates to Aug 19-29!

We have a dvc studio booked at Boardwalk for Aug 19-21 and then AKL - Jambo for Aug 21-29.

I sat down yesterday and decided to look at our plans and parks with a fresh set of eyes and it turns out that if we add two days to the start and use the extra days as resort break days then 6/8 park days would stay the same and we would move one of our Epcot and one of our HS days to the first two days. The only adr that we can’t get right now is Sci-Fi but I am still trying!

Our (new and improved) plans are:

Aug 19 - check in at BW, late dinner/snack at Abracada-bar
Aug 20 - Epcot, dinner @ Le Cellier
Aug 21 - HS, no ADRs, move to AKL
Aug 22 - break day
Aug 23 - MK, lunch at LTT, Fireworks dessert party - garden viewing
Aug 24 - AK, dinner ADR at Tiffins with ROL viewing
Aug 25 - break day, dinner at Morimoto
Aug 26 - Epcot, breakfast at Garden Grill, dinner at Rose & Crown
Aug 27 - HS, lunch at 50’s PT, dinner at Sanaa
Aug 28 - breakfast at Boma, early dinner at BOG and MNSSHP
Aug 29 - AK and check out day

I think that having two break days is going to make for a more enjoyable trip, DS can’t handle the gogogo pace of our original plan as well as we would like.

Decided to move things around to add in MNSSHP. The only day that works is the first party, so we will go and check it out. Will need to plan out a loose itinerary. We aren’t huge character folks, so will focus on rides, parade, ToT, and treats.

@Tomh and @MamaJessie, thanks guys for making me feel better :) Our trip is going to be awesome...i reset my brain and am back to my normal Disney loving self lol 129 days and counting :jumping1:party:

Once the free dining watch is over, I think next on my list is to get our wish list of FP+ together, it'll be June before we know it.

This is probably a pipedream (you should've seen the look i got from DBF when i mentioned it to him :rotfl2:) but i wonder if the cooler temps so late in the spring season in the mid-Atlantic will mean cooler temps this summer here and in Florida.

@Tomh and @MamaJessie, thanks guys for making me feel better :) Our trip is going to be awesome...i reset my brain and am back to my normal Disney loving self lol 129 days and counting :jumping1:party:

Once the free dining watch is over, I think next on my list is to get our wish list of FP+ together, it'll be June before we know it.

This is probably a pipedream (you should've seen the look i got from DBF when i mentioned it to him :rotfl2:) but i wonder if the cooler temps so late in the spring season in the mid-Atlantic will mean cooler temps this summer here and in Florida.

Happy to have been able to help! There is a facebook group for August visitors, if you are interested it is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1725988577673975/

As for the cooler summer temps . . . lol. Though, I have to say, the first couple of days of our trip last August were cooler than I expected, around the 90 area, which doesn't SOUND cool, but it sure FEELS a lot better than the typical 95 or so. We also had one day in 2008 that was cool, breezy and wet, but not pouring wet. Of course, that was the result of a Hurricane, or Tropical Storm that was coming through, but it was actually a lovely day in the park. Lines were short, temperatures were very tolerable. One day out of 10 years of vacations isn't bad, right?

Finally back on track with my August trip and lots of changes. Flights were crazy expensive out of Toronto on a Sunday so changed my dates to the 21-28. My niece's camp dates were confirmed so she is definitely free and able to come to Disney. Our resort has changed from WL to the Poly due to availability. But we are going to Disney!!!!! Let the planning begin!

And the best part is, our dates still overlap :cheer2:

Happy to have been able to help! There is a facebook group for August visitors, if you are interested it is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/1725988577673975/

As for the cooler summer temps . . . lol. Though, I have to say, the first couple of days of our trip last August were cooler than I expected, around the 90 area, which doesn't SOUND cool, but it sure FEELS a lot better than the typical 95 or so. We also had one day in 2008 that was cool, breezy and wet, but not pouring wet. Of course, that was the result of a Hurricane, or Tropical Storm that was coming through, but it was actually a lovely day in the park. Lines were short, temperatures were very tolerable. One day out of 10 years of vacations isn't bad, right?

I'm actually one of the very few people that don't use facebook lol but thanks for the invite!

Those few degrees lower def make a difference in Florida!!

Can I be added to the aug trip watch taking my family aug 8th - 15 th 2 adults 5 Disney adults and 1 child. We have stayed at wilderness cabins last year loved it. This year my teens are taking a friend so need 2 rooms at Pop

Was hoping they'd do the 7 AM EMH for the last week of August, but as of now they haven't. I know it's supposedly lower crowd, but still hoping they'll change it. Although, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I broke the news to DH :rotfl2:He was like, uhhh WHAT?? I told him he could just meet up with us later and he was like 'oh no no no it's ok as long as we only go that early once' He knows the value of rope drop ;)

I got the same thing from both DBF and DD11, they were like as long as it's only 2 days we can handle that:rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!