*** The Official August 2019 thread ***

A few of you have mentioned that 8/28 is a HS day for you. It is for us too. I’m debating if we should move it to earlier in the trip or keep it the 28th. Our plans were to hang at the pool in the morning then go to HS in the late afternoon. We have a dinner ADR at 4 at Hollywood & Vine.

What are you all doing?
I think we will avoid DHS on Aug 27th and 28th. We arrive on 8/24 so we will plan to go to the park in the first couple of days of our trip.

Last edited:
We also had the 28th as a HS day. Its our last day though so I figured we will just use the 3 booked FP's(if its still allowed) then leave for Epcot.

I'm going to leaving two weeks before it opens. I wonder what kind of ripple effects will occur.

I'm going to leaving two weeks before it opens. I wonder what kind of ripple effects will occur.
That far before it opens, I almost wonder if you won't see lighter crowds than we have been anticipating, as a result of people moving their trips later in hopes of seeing Galaxy's Edge.

That far before it opens, I almost wonder if you won't see lighter crowds than we have been anticipating, as a result of people moving their trips later in hopes of seeing Galaxy's Edge.

I think people would be moving their reservations in both directions--some might move them to earlier August to avoid the Star Wars crowds, while some might move them later to catch Smugglers Run. I think crowds can go either way, so I'm a bit nervous! Hopefully Disney isn't taken by surprise by any crowds in August and are adequately staffed to handle a larger turnout. I don't mind crowds too much as long as the wait times don't skyrocket.

I think people would be moving their reservations in both directions--some might move them to earlier August to avoid the Star Wars crowds, while some might move them later to catch Smugglers Run. I think crowds can go either way, so I'm a bit nervous! Hopefully Disney isn't taken by surprise by any crowds in August and are adequately staffed to handle a larger turnout. I don't mind crowds too much as long as the wait times don't skyrocket.
Yes. I agree. It’s really hard to predict what crowds are going to be like in August. People seem to be shifting trip dates all over the place. Hopefully it will be business as usual and Disney will anticipate spikes of attendance by increasing park hours and staff.

Well my trip was booked in Feb for free dining. So I can't move it now. I wonder how many people might cancel and move it anyway. Also, I wonder if we'll see some great deals for rooms/tickets if enough people cancel trips? I might be able to snag a few extra days as a split stay.

I'm sure you are right, there will be people moving in both directions, but I am guessing that there will be more people looking to experience Galaxy's Edge than there will be trying to avoid it. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but since my trip is in the middle of August, I am going to remain optimistic that crowds levels will be low :)

I'm sure you are right, there will be people moving in both directions, but I am guessing that there will be more people looking to experience Galaxy's Edge than there will be trying to avoid it. Of course, I could be completely wrong about that, but since my trip is in the middle of August, I am going to remain optimistic that crowds levels will be low :)
THIS is my hope. I’m in the group avoiding. I’m now going the week before so hoping for a calm before the storm. :confused3

Well my trip was booked in Feb for free dining. So I can't move it now. I wonder how many people might cancel and move it anyway. Also, I wonder if we'll see some great deals for rooms/tickets if enough people cancel trips? I might be able to snag a few extra days as a split stay.

I think if your trip is already booked, you may be able to move it and keep your free dining as long as you keep within the free dining period, and there is availability at the resort. It's worth a call at least.

I'm good with where I am, I just may want to add a few extra days if something beneficial opens up.

Well we are going 8/24-9/4. Our HS days were 8/28 and 8/31. After the announcement we decided to move our HS days to the 25th and 28th. I will join the side that was really hoping it wouldn't open until after our trip. Thought we were safe. We have lunch ADR's so we will stay in HS for at least those and then probably hop both days to another park for the evening. Just hoping the other parks don't go crazy either.

I can bet all the parks will fill. Anyone with a park hopper will see the chaos at DHS and hop over to another park.

Also keep in mind Aug 13 - 19 is Gay Days in Orlando. This event usually gathers a crowd of 150,000, with about 50,000 guests going to the parks on designated days. This years dates are:

Thur 08/15 - Animal Kingdom
Fri 08/16 - DHS
Sat 08/17 - Magic Kingdom
Sun 08/18 - Epcot

What exactly is Gay Days? Those days are during our whole stay. I was hoping for low crowds before SWGE :(

What exactly is Gay Days? Those days are during our whole stay. I was hoping for low crowds before SWGE :(

A vacation celebration (big party / PRIDE event) for the LGBTQ community. This years event is being held at the Wyndham Resort and draws a lot of attendees (Ive read up to 150K !) Though there are many parties/events being held at the resort for the week, approx 50,000 of the 150,000 go in a large group on designated days into the Disney parks. I mentioned the days above. Although the guests will only be in that one park for the day planned, I expect many will want to avoid the large crowd, therefore choosing another park, which will make the other parks more crowded! The event is 08/13 - 08/18, with park days beginning on 08/15. Normally this event is in June, this will be the first time in August so Im not sure what that will do to attendance. Could be much larger, or smaller or stay the same!

We’ve been there during it in June and really didn’t seem to drive up attendance in my opinion. We always chose a different park than what they had scheduled because my thought was if they were going for the event, most would want to stick with the group. I know I would if I went specifically for an event like that. Don’t alter your trip for it, I don’t think it will make that big of a difference. It still should be a low crowd time with most schools in Florida going back around then, and I know all of the ones around here in NE Ohio go back that week.

We’ve been there during it in June and really didn’t seem to drive up attendance in my opinion. We always chose a different park than what they had scheduled because my thought was if they were going for the event, most would want to stick with the group. I know I would if I went specifically for an event like that. Don’t alter your trip for it, I don’t think it will make that big of a difference. It still should be a low crowd time with most schools in Florida going back around then, and I know all of the ones around here in NE Ohio go back that week.

Thanks for the info! Luckily our park days that I already planned happen to avoid the designated gay days park for each day. This has been so crazy trying to plan around each possible scenario that would increase crowds for each park so now I’m just going to stay with my current schedule and wait for FP time. Yay!

Hello fellow heat lovers!!!

We will be in WDW the last week in Aug 25-Sept1 and for the first time staying at AKL, Jambo House, savanna view!! ADR's all complete, midweek beach week scheduled, and just the 2 of us!!

Hello fellow heat lovers!!!

We will be in WDW the last week in Aug 25-Sept1 and for the first time staying at AKL, Jambo House, savanna view!! ADR's all complete, midweek beach week scheduled, and just the 2 of us!!
You've been added to the Roll Call. Enjoy the planning!

I can bet all the parks will fill. Anyone with a park hopper will see the chaos at DHS and hop over to another park.

Also keep in mind Aug 13 - 19 is Gay Days in Orlando. This event usually gathers a crowd of 150,000, with about 50,000 guests going to the parks on designated days. This years dates are:

Thur 08/15 - Animal Kingdom
Fri 08/16 - DHS
Sat 08/17 - Magic Kingdom
Sun 08/18 - Epcot

I updated the News section on the first page, and included this information. I hope you don't mind :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter