The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

mevelandry

DIS Veteran
Hi!

I come from the province of Quebec (Born and raised, lived in many regions and currently lives in Montreal) and I just learned that Disney Cruise Line will do a cruise coming and/or departing from Quebec including two other Quebec ports in 2018 which are Saguenay and Baie-Comeau...

So I thought maybe I (along with some of my fellow Quebecois(e) DISers) could help.

Feel free to ask any question you want regarding ports, excursions, etc. We are most likely going to be able to help! :) There are no stupid questions. I can also help you with the pronounciation. ;) (Kay-Beck, Sag-Nay, Bay-Como) ;)

EDIT:

Two sailings so far...

-From NYC to Quebec City: September 20, 2018

-From Quebec City to NYC: September 27, 2018

TRANSPORTATION FROM MONTREAL FOR THOSE WHO WILL FLY TO MONTREAL

My boss (76 yo) takes the Via Rail train from Montreal to Quebec almost every time he has to go to Quebec. He usually picks the Business section in order to be able to work. Apparently the seats are very comfortable, there is room for the legs, there is free wifi (actually all sections have free wifi and power outlets)... It takes about 3h30 by train but both train stations have a very practical location. My office is right in front of the Gare Centrale (train station) and I help tourists finding the sites they are looking for all the time. :)

The tickets usually go from 70 to 215$ depending on the moment you use it and the section you pick but be sure to subscribe to the newsletter because they go on promotion all the time (especially on tuesday mornings). They can go as low as 33$.

If you need to go from the Montreal (YUL) airport to the train station, it should be a 38$ flat rate by cab.

Or you can take the STM (Public Transportation) line 747 that will cost you 10$ and be valid for 24 hours. It's an interesting route for tourists because it stops near the most important subway stations, hotels. The "Gare Centrale" (train station) would be stop number 5.

REGARDING TRANSPORTATION FOR THE PEOPLE WHO CHOSE TO FLY IN...

MONTRÉAL

The price for the shuttle from Montreal airport is not as expensive as I expected. If money is no object, it's definitely the less complicated way to do it... They will pick you up at the airport and bring to directly to the port of Québec.

But if you insist on saving a few bucks:

Step 1) You can take the STM bus 747 at 10$ CND/pp (before 7:30 AM), the tickets are available in a automatic teller that looks like an ATM machine --I could give you a cheaper option but you'd have to transfer busses and then take the subway and then you'll hate me! :laughing:

Step 2) stop at the Gare d’autocars de Montréal which is where I would take the Orleans Express bus to Québec if I were you... because the Orleans Express bus departing from YUL airport are not only more expensive but they only start running at 11:00 AM (which is way too late if you are flying in the same day), while the Downtown Montreal bus starts at 6:00 AM.

On the bright side, if you book early up to three months in advance), you can sometimes get a 25$ (CND dollars! That like 20$ USD/pp) tickets each way --take note that you can't make changes on the tickets and they are non-refundable-- but I would leave before 9:00 AM (from La Gare Centrale de Montréal), because you never know if there won't be an accident on the road or something. It's a 2,5 hours ride between Montreal and Quebec after all!

Step 3) When you arrive La Gare du Palais, the Port of Québec is situated very close to the Port of Québec. A cab ride from there shouldn't be too expensive.

QUÉBEC

If you are travelling from Quebec, I would stick to the cab. The flat rate from Quebec Airport to downtown Quebec is around 35$ CND (about 28$ USD) I don't think it's going to be much more expensive to get to the Port. Make sure you ask for a flat rate (or in french "Tarif fixe"). According to my collegues from Quebec, the traffic can be very heavy during rush hour, so no matter when DCL tells you to arrive, I would add 30-60 minutes more just in case. Better be safe than sorry.

RECOMMENDED HOTELS IN QUÉBEC

Near Old Quebec (10 to 20 min walk from Old Quebec neighborhood):

The Delta, the Tryp Pur & Marriott Quebec would be good and affordable options. (I will try to find out if they offer shuttles).

Old Quebec (very close to the port):

Hotel du Capitole is right in the Old Quebec, in front of Place d'Youville. This hotel is an historic monument and has cachet (Beaux-Arts style). The rooms are comfortable. It is situated next to a theater. I love that hotel!

If money if no object, go for Château Frontenac or Château Laurier.

RECOMMENDED HOTELS IN MONTRÉAL

Airport:

-Mariott Airport (it's quite nice for an Airport Hotel and it's right inside the Airport!)

-Sheraton Montreal Airport (I have a gym/spa/pool membership there and it's very nice and clean, the gym and pool are nothing to write home about but I like them).

Near the Old Port:

*If you chose an hotel on St-Paul Street. ALWAYS ask for a room that does NOT give on St-Paul St. The soundproofing of the windows is usually pretty bad and St-Paul St. is very noisy. I've made that mistake once and we moved room at 2 AM because we simply could not sleep.*

-Marriott Château Champlain (about 15 minutes walk from the Old Port of Montreal, metro Bonaventure is connected directly to it)

-Hôtel Nelligan (in the Old Port of Montreal, very charming BUT ask for your room to be in the back of the hotel.

Downtown:

*I wouldn't recommend hotels near the Metro Berri-Uqam station. It's not a nice place to be after dark. Lots of homeless people, junkies and drug dealers at night. If you have to be around, just go from point A to point B, don't engage into conversations with strangers and you'll be fine.*

-Hyatt Regency Montreal (it's a nice comfortable hotel, situated right in front of the Place Des Arts, very close to the metro Place Des Arts, lots of restaurants and boutiques at Complexe Desjardins where it is situated)

-Hotel Renaissance Montreal Downtown (less than 1 minute walk from St-Catherine Street, right in the action, wonderful rooftop terrace and great restaurant name "East").

-Hotel Reine Elizabeth (the hotel is fresh out of major refurbishment and is absolutely stunning. If you enjoy afternoon tea, I recommend their tea service at Rosélys).

RECOMMENDED RESTAURANTS IN QUEBEC

-Cochon Dingue (great breakfast & desserts & I heard the lunch/dinner menu is good too!)
-Ashton (for a good poutine)
-Queues de Castor/BeaverTails
-Afternoon Tea at the Champlain restaurant in the Chateau Frontenac
-Chez Jules (recommended by friends)
-Chez Victor (recommended by friends)
-Le Lapin Sauté (recommended by friends)
-1608 (recommended by friends)
-Chez Boulay (recommended by friends)
-Spag & Tini (recommended by my MIL)

RECOMMENDED RESTAURANTS IN MONTREAL

-Bevo (for a good pizza)
-Frites Alors! (for a good poutine)
-La Banquise (for a good poutine)
-Queues de Castor/BeaverTails
-Stash Café (polish restaurant, awesome pierogies)
-Jardin Nelson (food good but the terrace is awesome)
-Le Boucan (awesome "barbecue style" food)
-Indian Curry House (amazing cheap indian restaurant)
-Émeraude de Bangkok (good "americanized sczechuan food", a 5 minute ride from the YUL Airport)
-Archibald (inside YUL airport, recommended by friends)

:jumping1:!!!!!!!ROLL CALL!!!!!:jumping1:

September 20, 2018 - From NYC to Quebec City

@MJDisFamCruisers
@Shadowfan
@dclpluto
@rrali33tt

September 27, 2018 - From Quebec City to NYC

@MJDisFamCruisers
@TheWicKids

Last edited:
Such a great idea! I live about 2 hours from Quebec city and we are waiting on the prices to see if we will switch our Dream Cruise for a Canadian / USA one. But, it would be our pleasure to help anyone thinking of this cruise!

Such a great idea! I live about 2 hours from Quebec city and we are waiting on the prices to see if we will switch our Dream Cruise for a Canadian / USA one. But, it would be our pleasure to help anyone thinking of this cruise!

Where do you live?

Thank you both so much....that is so sweet!!! I would love to visit Quebec City!!!

MJ

You should. It's a beautiful city. Been there 3 or 4 times, wish I could go more often.

I wish Montreal was on the itinerary... But with all the refurbishments and constructions happening at the same time here, Montreal is a mess... They even sell orange cones as souvenirs (I'm not joking).

I wish Montreal was on the itinerary... But with all the refurbishments and constructions happening at the same time here, Montreal is a mess... They even sell orange cones as souvenirs (I'm not joking).

Then it is a good thing they aren't going to Montreal. Someone would probably buy one of those cones as a souvenir, and then use it to save a deck chair by the pool. (Am I joking?)

The cruises to Quebec were the first to catch my eye. I plan on having my TA book the one for September 20th. I'm only Silver so hopefully some good rooms are still available. I teach about Canada and have always wanted to go to Quebec. I grew up in Washington state, so I've been to BC and Alberta quite a bit, but no other provinces or territories. I hope the price isn't too high!

Dang it! I'd love to do that cruise, but that's a week before Canadian Thanksgiving and the kids would have to take off too much time. If it were a week later, then I'd totally be on that one!

Ooh That one would be interesting! We're from Montreal so we could drive there and I love Quebec City. I don't know if I'd pay typical DCL prices to visit those ports though.

Thank you so much!! This will be really helpful. We have been sitting here all evening trying to decide whether to keep our NCL cruise (Halifax, PEI, Sydney and Quebec City) or switch to one of Disney's.

Saguenay looks amazing with the fjord.

Decisions, decisions.

Ooh That one would be interesting! We're from Montreal so we could drive there and I love Quebec City. I don't know if I'd pay typical DCL prices to visit those ports though.

Yeah, it's quite easy for us to visit those places since it's a 3-5 hours ride from home.

Saguenay and Baie-Comeau are ports I haven't noticed before when other lines do the Canada/New England route. I've been looking at a HAL cruise one way Boston - Quebec City, but the ports are different. What ports do you think are the best if you had to rank them? Does any other cruise lines call on these two ports?

Saguenay and Baie-Comeau are ports I haven't noticed before when other lines do the Canada/New England route. I've been looking at a HAL cruise one way Boston - Quebec City, but the ports are different. What ports do you think are the best if you had to rank them? Does any other cruise lines call on these two ports?

It's hard to tell. What are the ports that HAL offers?

I do think that Saguenay and Baie-Comeau would be interesting ports if you are into natural environments (lots of animals and whales) and villages. Also, people will speak french, which would most likely feel more exotic than ports like Halifax and St. Johns...

The Saguenay Fjord is certainly very popular among tourists from all around the world.

EDIT: Here's an interesting link...

http://www.sepaq.com/pq/sag/index.dot?language_id=1

Last edited:
Quebec city is my home town (I now live in Montreal). Only the smallest cruise ships can come to Montreal because most are too tall to sail under the bridges between Qc city and Levis. If I had to rank usual ports I would probably rank them:
#1: Qc city
#2: Saguenay
#3: Halifax
#4: Baie Comeau
#5: St. John, NB (St. John, NF would be much better!)

The HAL itinerary I'm looking at is Boston to Montreal with stops in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, Quebec City. Just wondering how you think it compares to Disney's itinerary.

It's hard to tell. What are the ports that HAL offers?

I do think that Saguenay and Baie-Comeau would be interesting ports if you are into natural environments (lots of animals and whales) and villages. Also, people will speak french, which would most likely feel more exotic than ports like Halifax and St. Johns...

The Saguenay Fjord is certainly very popular among tourists from all around the world. My phone doesn't want to take the link but Google "SEPAQ Saguenay Fjord National Park". There is a lot of informations on the site (and pictures).

The Fjord is absolutely part of the reason we are considering the switch to Disney. It looks incredible. We are amateur photographers, so for us our port days are spent looking for images to snap. We both favor natural scenery and I'm also partial to interesting architecture. I had been pretty excited about PEI on the NCL cruise, but Saguenay looks so tempting. I've already asked my TA to put a hold on both of the Disney cruises, though I'm pretty terrified what they will cost. We have an OBB placeholder that would just squeak in under the time limit that hopefully we could use for one of them (assuming Disney doesn't black them out).

We are considering even doing them back to back. I looked up pricing for flights to Quebec City from Pittsburgh and was pretty shocked at how expensive they were. We can easily drive to NYC, so not having that airfare would partially offset the cost of the second cruise. At least that is what I tell myself. 8-)
Of course, when I get the quote from my TA this will probably all come to nothing.

Quebec city is my home town (I now live in Montreal). Only the smallest cruise ships can come to Montreal because most are too tall to sail under the bridges between Qc city and Levis. If I had to rank usual ports I would probably rank them:
#1: Qc city
#2: Saguenay
#3: Halifax
#4: Baie Comeau
#5: St. John, NB (St. John, NF would be much better!)

I've seen the HAL Veendam (capacity 1350 passengers) and the Oceania Insignia in Montreal. I know the HAL Maasdam comes too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!