The official Quebec, Saguenay and Baie-Comeau cruise ports thread!

If with kids, try the Jean Drapeau park (St Helene island) for plenty of tourist activities in one place. Comes with nice views of the city skyline from its walking trails.

You can also visit Mont Royal for some amazing photo ops. Then, descend into Downtown Montreal and find a whole host of eateries. We love dining in a restaurant patio downtown when visiting in summer. No shortage of good food!

+1 on Parc Jean-Drapeau. Love it.

I also like the Mont Royal (same designer at Central Park) However, I would recommend walking and eating in the Mile-End more than Plateau Mont-Royal now. (The Plateau is not what is used to be.)

Those are two places I would recommend if you are looking for something a little more "nature".

BUT... (One of my favorites...)

"Jardins de Lumières" (Chinese Lanterns) is coming back to the Jardin Botanique (Botanical Garden) this year. I LOVE that exposition and I try to go every year. Fantastic atmosphere.

There's what I call a "classy cafeteria" in the middle of the Botanical Garden that offers good food and sometimes food trucks are going there too. Not a lot of options, however, what is available is usually more than acceptable.

P.s.: Hey, talking about food trucks... If you catch La Boîtes à Fromage, you can eat "raclette". And Grumman 78 has great tacos (combos can go from 10 to 15$/pp but worth it).

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it in the thread but does anyone know which airports if any you can get DCL transfer to after debarking the cruise in New York? In the past it was JFK and LGA but hadn't heard this year if it is the same. Our DD and granddaughter who live in Oregon need to fly back after the cruise and DCL transfers are the easiest if available. Thx

MJ

Does anyone know what time we “must” be in the ship on boarding day in Quebec?

DCL told me when I asked that exact question that it must by the all aboard time of 4:00 pm (I would play it safe and make it closer to 3:30). I believe that later in the evening you could probably leave the ship to explore Quebec and come back (I am surmising...not positive). My understanding is that they want everyone onboard by a certain time to make sure everyone did indeed make it onboard. Once their headcounts are all squared then you can use the ship as your hotel and come and go as you please. At least that is my guess.

MJ

Does anyone know what time we “must” be in the ship on boarding day in Quebec?

We were told that you have to be on board by 4 on the first day (if sailing on 9/27). I was told that after the mandatory boat drill, we would be able to go back out into Quebec. We are hoping to do a ghost tour that first night. We are doing b2b cruises and plan on spending the day walking around old Quebec and then getting back on later for lunch. I would probably try to get there by 3:30pm at the very latest.

Sorry if I missed it in the thread but does anyone know which airports if any you can get DCL transfer to after debarking the cruise in New York? In the past it was JFK and LGA but hadn't heard this year if it is the same. Our DD and granddaughter who live in Oregon need to fly back after the cruise and DCL transfers are the easiest if available. Thx

MJ

The DCL transfers go to both JFK and LGA, so it's the same. It's $45 pp for either transfer (coming/going).

The DCL transfers go to both JFK and LGA, so it's the same. It's $45 pp for either transfer (coming/going).

OMG I am a Mary Jane as well!!! Not many of us out there!! and thank you for the info. Do you know what the earliest flight time is out of JFK that Disney allows for the transfers? I want to book my DD on an 10:55 am flight but don't know if that is enough time. Next flight is not until 7 pm

Actually no big deal if she misses the 11:00 am flight....I could just go get her and bring her home until the 7 pm flight!!! We are about an hour from JFK (with no traffic).

MJ

OMG I am a Mary Jane as well!!! Not many of us out there!! and thank you for the info. Do you know what the earliest flight time is out of JFK that Disney allows for the transfers? I want to book my DD on an 10:55 am flight but don't know if that is enough time. Next flight is not until 7 pm

Actually no big deal if she misses the 11:00 am flight....I could just go get her and bring her home until the 7 pm flight!!! We are about an hour from JFK (with no traffic).

MJ
Can she take Uber? I can't see her missing it? Does she normally travel standby? I think if you miss your flight that's your only options

DCL told me when I asked that exact question that it must by the all aboard time of 4:00 pm (I would play it safe and make it closer to 3:30). I believe that later in the evening you could probably leave the ship to explore Quebec and come back (I am surmising...not positive). My understanding is that they want everyone onboard by a certain time to make sure everyone did indeed make it onboard. Once their headcounts are all squared then you can use the ship as your hotel and come and go as you please. At least that is my guess.

MJ
I was thinking they want everyone on for a head count and muster drill. After that I can't see why we can't leave. I'm sure the crew will be getting off. What great cruises for the staff I know they love overnights.

I was thinking they want everyone on for a head count and muster drill. After that I can't see why we can't leave. I'm sure the crew will be getting off. What great cruises for the staff I know they love overnights.

I agree they need a headcount. I remember once when we missed Grand Cayman due to the weather (port authority closed the harbor) the ship went directly to Cozumel and overnighted there. The crew was so happy to have some time there. We were hanging out at Carlos and Charlie and saw so many familiar faces having a great time. But, you should have seen the hissy fit some guests were throwing in the Atrium because we could not dock at GC. You would think the Captain asked them to walk the plank or something. There was an almost riot. I don't get people sometimes.

MJ

Can she take Uber? I can't see her missing it? Does she normally travel standby? I think if you miss your flight that's your only options

She will have her 3 year old DD with her who would need a car seat in an Uber....with the Disney bus I don't they are required. She is an experienced traveler I am not too worried.

MJ

MJ

Per DCL:
For New York to New York sailings, we recommend the following flight-time guidelines:

• Latest arrival time to John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:30 PM
  • Earliest departure time from John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:00 PM

Per DCL:
For New York to New York sailings, we recommend the following flight-time guidelines:

• Latest arrival time to John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport on Embarkation Day: 1:30 PM
  • Earliest departure time from John F. Kennedy International Airport or LaGuardia International Airport on Debarkation Day: 12:00 PM
Disney's very cautious when recommending flight times. We took a 1030 am flight out of EWR. We don't use Disney transportation and we just get off the ship before 8am. It seems like whenever we cruise were getting off the ship early to catch a 10-11am flight. We're always sitting at the airport with plenty of time to kill. I've found the best time to disembark is around 730. It's after the mad rush of express walk offs and before early breakfast gets out. We plan on flying out of EWR again. It's the easiest airport to get to. Traffic is going the opposite direction.

Per DCL:

Thank you!

MJ

+1 on Parc Jean-Drapeau. Love it.

I also like the Mont Royal (same designer at Central Park) However, I would recommend walking and eating in the Mile-End more than Plateau Mont-Royal now. (The Plateau is not what is used to be.)

Those are two places I would recommend if you are looking for something a little more "nature".

BUT... (One of my favorites...)

"Jardins de Lumières" (Chinese Lanterns) is coming back to the Jardin Botanique (Botanical Garden) this year. I LOVE that exposition and I try to go every year. Fantastic atmosphere.

There's what I call a "classy cafeteria" in the middle of the Botanical Garden that offers good food and sometimes food trucks are going there too. Not a lot of options, however, what is available is usually more than acceptable.

P.s.: Hey, talking about food trucks... If you catch La Boîtes à Fromage, you can eat "raclette". And Grumman 78 has great tacos (combos can go from 10 to 15$/pp but worth it).
Sorry this has nothing to do with what your posting about, but this thread was buried, and I thought if I quoted you you'd see it.
What do think of the Embassy suites in Montreal as far as location? Were currently booked at Les Phillips Square, but the Embassy suites is coming down in price. We need a room with 2 queen beds and sofa couch. It's pretty much impossible to find this type of room outside of the USA and I'm happy Montreal has a few options. I'm very familiar with Embassy Suites. I love the breakfast and free drinks at happy hour. I'm also a Hilton Honors member although I don't have enough points for even a one night stay, but I would earn points. Your thoughts are appreciated. Also which one is closer to bus stop to Quebec?

Sorry this has nothing to do with what your posting about, but this thread was buried, and I thought if I quoted you you'd see it.
What do think of the Embassy suites in Montreal as far as location? Were currently booked at Les Phillips Square, but the Embassy suites is coming down in price. We need a room with 2 queen beds and sofa couch. It's pretty much impossible to find this type of room outside of the USA and I'm happy Montreal has a few options. I'm very familiar with Embassy Suites. I love the breakfast and free drinks at happy hour. I'm also a Hilton Honors member although I don't have enough points for even a one night stay, but I would earn points. Your thoughts are appreciated. Also which one is closer to bus stop to Quebec?
I am a regular guest at this Embassy Suites and it is a nice hotel. Fairly "new" with decent Embassy-style breakfast. Location is very good, next to Old Montreal and in front of a Metro/Subway station if you want to explore other parts of the city. As an Hilton Honors member, I have often been upgraded to very nice suites.

The location of the Embassy Suites is definitely more interesting than the Square Phillips.

Out of the two, if the price is right, I would definitely pick the Embassy Suites.

The last have seen a lot of change in the area of the Suare Phillips. There is A LOT of constructions in the area right now (it's ridiculous and it's driving everybody who work in my office nuts) and it doesn't look like it's going to be done any time soon. IMO, it totally kills the vibe of the neighbourhood right now.

Guys! I spent another day in Quebec City today. I'll have more recommendations for you soon regarding restaurants, nice places to walk, etc.

Last edited:
Queues de Castor (Beaver Tails) is great if you like sweets.
I would go to Montreal just for one of the Beaver Tails here! We got stuck in Montreal for 24 hours on our way to Barcelona last month and found this place. Just an FYI: they only take cash. I didn't have any CAD because we had only planned on passing through airports in Canada. My daughter really wanted the beaver tail so we searched for an ATM. We found one, got cash, and headed back to get our Beaver Tail only to see that there was an ATM in Queues de Castor! The guy at the counter DID NOT tell us that!

If you have kids and go to Montreal, the science museum was fabulous and my daughter saw Voiles en Voiles (an amazing looking ropes course type park) and really wanted to do it, but it was raining when we were there. We really enjoyed our time in Montreal even though we hadn't planned on spending time there. It is a beautiful city and I would love to go back someday.

The location of the Embassy Suites is definitely more interesting than the Square Phillips.

Out of the two, if the price is right, I would definitely pick the Embassy Suites.

The last have seen a lot of change in the area of the Suare Phillips. There is A LOT of constructions in the area right now (it's ridiculous and it's driving everybody who work in my office nuts) and it doesn't look like it's going to be done any time soon. IMO, it totally kills the vibe of the neighbourhood right now.
What is more interesting about the location? The difference in price is about 15 usd a night. Really not a factor. The Square Phillips gets really good reviews, but the Embassy Suites is new so maybe it just go off to a rocky start.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter