The Parks of the St. Lawrence, Ontario

I'll fly for this Mickey Mouse outfit!
Who’s camped at the various campgrounds in The Parks of the St. Lawrence…. Opinions, thoughts, which ones you like better. My son loves birds, so I was thinking trying for that smaller bird sanctuary park, but a lot of them look nice. Going to head to Niagara Falls first, and was planning by back to Lake George again, but thinking the parks there in Ontario could be fun, too. First week in July timeframe. Happy Holidays all!

We live in Kingston Ontario and have camped in several of the Parks of the St. Lawrence, but not the one near the bird sanctuary. Just a few miles down the road is Riverside-Cedar which is also adjascent to Upper Canada Village. It's a historic village set in the 1860's where you and your children can see a farm that produces milk and grain. The milk goes to the nearby dairy where you can watch it churned into butter. The grain goes to the water powered grist mill where it's ground into flour. The baker transforms that into bread which you can enjoy in the cafe. In the newspaper office you can watch as they set type on a 200 year old printing press, there's a tinsmith, a man making corn brooms. and so much more. It's a great place to spend a day. We've stayed in Riverside-Cedar several times while visiting the historical village. It's clean, safe and comfortable.

Our favourite campground in the area is McLaren Campground on The Long Sault. The Long Sault is a chain of islands, about 10 miles long, in the St. Lawrence River. Almost every campsite at McLaren gives you a view of the river. You can sit beside your camper and watch oceangoing freighters pass between the Canadian shore and Croll Island which is about 1,500 feet away on the US side of the border. The entire stretch of the Long Sault is Provincial Park with hiking and cycling trails.

Hope that helps!

Gary Cruise

We live in Kingston Ontario and have camped in several of the Parks of the St. Lawrence, but not the one near the bird sanctuary. Just a few miles down the road is Riverside-Cedar which is also adjascent to Upper Canada Village. It's a historic village set in the 1860's where you and your children can see a farm that produces milk and grain. The milk goes to the nearby dairy where you can watch it churned into butter. The grain goes to the water powered grist mill where it's ground into flour. The baker transforms that into bread which you can enjoy in the cafe. In the newspaper office you can watch as they set type on a 200 year old printing press, there's a tinsmith, a man making corn brooms. and so much more. It's a great place to spend a day. We've stayed in Riverside-Cedar several times while visiting the historical village. It's clean, safe and comfortable.

Our favourite campground in the area is McLaren Campground on The Long Sault. The Long Sault is a chain of islands, about 10 miles long, in the St. Lawrence River. Almost every campsite at McLaren gives you a view of the river. You can sit beside your camper and watch oceangoing freighters pass between the Canadian shore and Croll Island which is about 1,500 feet away on the US side of the border. The entire stretch of the Long Sault is Provincial Park with hiking and cycling trails.

Hope that helps!

Gary Cruise
I saw McClaren on the chain of islands… it did intrigue me very much as a possibility. I also read about the village which sounds very similar to our Old Sturbridge Village nearby us in Massachusetts… it does sound like a great day trip… thank you for your input!

we will be at Niagara falls on 8-13/14 on our way to Acadia in Maine, first trip out East
I’ll be on a Disney Cruise while you at Niagra… when we are at Niagra (June 30 - July 4) we are staying at KOA Niagra Falls/Grand Island. Had also considered the KOA Holiday on the Canadian side, but just chose one as I haven’t stayed so don’t know one to be better than the other… but if someone does know, I am all ears…

I’ll be on a Disney Cruise while you at Niagra… when we are at Niagra (June 30 - July 4) we are staying at KOA Niagra Falls/Grand Island. Had also considered the KOA Holiday on the Canadian side, but just chose one as I haven’t stayed so don’t know one to be better than the other… but if someone does know, I am all ears…
We are also booked at KOA Niagara/Grand Island, let us know how it turns out, it looks like a good KOA, too bad we will miss each other

I saw McClaren on the chain of islands… it did intrigue me very much as a possibility. I also read about the village which sounds very similar to our Old Sturbridge Village nearby us in Massachusetts… it does sound like a great day trip… thank you for your input!
Upper Canada Village has a lot in common with Sturbridge.

When the St. Lawrence Seaway was reconstructed and expanded in the early 1950's a large area of farmland, and 5 towns, were flooded. Most of the old buildings were relocated and many of them ended up at Upper Canada Village. The chain of islands called The Long Sault was created by the flooding when the seaway was completed.

Upper Canada Village has a lot in common with Sturbridge.

When the St. Lawrence Seaway was reconstructed and expanded in the early 1950's a large area of farmland, and 5 towns, were flooded. Most of the old buildings were relocated and many of them ended up at Upper Canada Village. The chain of islands called The Long Sault was created by the flooding when the seaway was completed.
On google earth I was able to see former road way underwater… that was pretty interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter