The Positive DVC Thread

Spark65

Mouseketeer
I thought I'd ask what everyone's one thing, one moment, that special something that really sealed your positive aspirations to owning Disney. I only ask as it seems some people have forgotten that truly special moment or lapse of judgement if you want to call it that when you bought. All stories are welcome but just the happy one's please.

So what is mine I suppose starting a thread should at least profess the argument I did post.

Years ago I was lucky enough to have someone send me and my family to OKW back in the late 90's.

I could never imagine the amount of money it cost us ( OKW was free the rest we had to pay for) because we did not have a lot of money at the time. I can not say how memorable of an experience we or our kids had either it is just beyond explanation. At the time, given the costs, we never thought we would would come back but remembering the experience our kids had it was a no brainer. The people we met on the buses and monorail and the happy people everywhere changed our thoughts. Never had we been to a place where people treated others like family it was amazing and we ended up coming back every two years. We now go even more!

I can still see the faces of my children when they were younger and the surprise and happiness it brought them and I can still still see it in them today even though they are adults. It has been worth every penny and not one penny was lost it has been the best investment my wife and I ever made.

Well, I just have a few memories tied to my kids and the magic. They were 4, 4 and 6 the first time we went to WDW and we bought DVC 3 years later. But those first few years/visits, when they were little, produced some sweet memories.

Like our 2nd visit we stayed at POR and my DDs brought some stuffed animals and bought some on the trip (they loved them) and the housekeeping would set up a whole scene with them every day that my kids couldn't wait to get back in the room to see (and they wanted to buy new plushies each day to add to the collection for the housekeeping to use). Between this and being on property (using WDW transport) and having the dining plan that trip, we felt the magic. We went home and started researching DVC and bought the next year. Owners for 13 years now, going on 14.

Another time we were driving in through the arches and one DD said to DS 'look there's your favorite duck' about Donald.

Another time we were walking in HS when we came across the Power Rangers doing a little skit. DS squealed with glee. We tease him about that all the time.

I have a pic, on our very first DVC stay as owners, of DDs in the jetted bath tub where I added a few drops of the dish soap and the bubbles were so high that all you could see is their tiny faces poking out.

Another pic of DDs eating a Mickey ice cream and their faces were covered in chocolate and they didn't care one bit. I think they walked around half the day like that and SIL finally handed them a napkin. They had to get a Mickey ice cream every trip, sometimes a couple-few.

Last edited:
For us it was simply walking into Kidani to go to dinner at Sanaa. We had been thinking about owning for years but we looked at Kidani and thought we want to own here.

10 years later we have seen behind the magic curtain and know it is just a timeshare but we still love our DVC and our favorite resorts.

My wife and I taking our children, who were 2 and 4 at the time, to the roof of BLT to see the fireworks. Much easier viewing with children that age, and it was something unique to being in "the club".

My wife and I met via the DISboards, though that's whole other story. When we finally met in person, it was on the beach at the Wilderness Lodge. We had both visited there separately before and were swept away by its beauty. Now we were sharing our budding love for each other along with our love for the Lodge. What more fitting resort to purchase points at than where we first met? Despite the beach no longer existing there, we still call VWL (it will never be BRV to us) home, and though we've stayed at nearly every other DVC resort, VWL still beckons to us most strongly. P.S. We were married at the Lodge, too. ;)

Last edited:
After many trips staying in a moderate resort, I finally noticed the friendship boats coming out of DHS. That they were going to Epcot was perfect, we were park hopping. The boat pulled into dock at the Boardwalk and I thought...wow! Got off the boat, explored the resort. As soon as we got home I got on the boards did some research, within 2 months we were BWV resale owners. We first bought a smaller contract, then added on. I still love it, crazy clown slide, long hallways and all. Can't wait to go back in February, but I do wish DVC would quit messing us around.

One year we had taken a few trips down to Disney when our two daughters were young. Our last stay was in the Wilderness Cabins. At that time we rented a car, only never to use it and really enjoyed the cabins. It made us look into DVC which at that time Disney was pushing Saratoga Springs. My wife had a single request if we were going to do this. Wanted to be attached to a park, either walking or ride. So we narrowed it down to Beach Club and Boardwalk. Beach Club was pretty much sold out so we bought into Boardwalk, I've been there before the wife never has. Our first visit was awesome, kids loved the area and the wife loved the resort. We have never looked back though are trips are few and far between now. Unfortunately my girls traveled to WDW a lot but as my boys came our trips slowed due to costs and the girls in school. Flash forward, we have since sold 1 contract and kept one due to college expenses. But even to this day my oldest is asking to go back and my little guy has been only a few times, the last being about 4 years ago when he was 5. Hoping to book a Thanksgiving trip for next year but I still can't get over the cost of park tickets, that's my biggest hurdle.

Many reasons:
DW and I knew as soon as we heard of DVC that we would buy in.
We were staying onsite at DL-AB (now PO-RS), took the tour, and DVC offered to use some of our monies from our onsite stay as our down payment. We had previously been burnt by a timeshare sales pitch, so as an added requirement; we booked within the cancellation period a weekend stay to ensure it was everything we had been told it was. We were very happy that DVC turned out to be just as we were told.
DW and I have been every year since '93 during the first two weeks of Dec. We plan this as our chance to enjoy the holidays for ourselves.
DW and I several times have been at DTD for the day and decided we wanted to stay the night. Called the resorts directly (back before MS was open on Sundays) or MS and checked in within 15 minutes.
At MK for the day in Feb ’14 for our anniversary, called MS @09:00, and booked a room at BLT for that night. Checked-in @11:00 and the room was ready. We did not plan on this day going like this until @05:00 while still in bed.
Several years ago in an OKW 1-Bdrm for Thanksgiving, we had four people for the night and 8 people over for dinner. Requested and received three extra parking passes for three additional vehicles. DW cooked the turkey and dressing in the resort and the visitors brought the sides and dessert.

We toured DVC (OKW) with our son in 1996 and bought on the spot. At the time there were no closing costs, we got double points and Disney credited our stay at the Pop, which was totally unexpected. We were amazed at the beauty of the resort, size of the villas and overwhelming sense joy at calling Disney our second "home" and the moment we walked into our 3 BR Grand Villa was, yes, magical - goose bumps and happy tears. We just returned from our first trip with our son (now 31) and his bride after many enjoyable couples trips...the absolute joy we all shared together and the memories we created are absolutely priceless and it just confirmed to us why we bought in 1996 - for this sweet moment. We have owned multiple resorts over the years, sold some contracts and bought others...it is so much a part of our family history and we love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter