The Rainbow Lounge - LGBT Chit Chat

What do we think about a Rainbow Lounge?

• Loving it, I'll be here every day. This IS now officially my new homepage on all devices!

• I'm in between. Fun idea but I don't really have much to say at the moment *puts it on watched*

• What's this? I chit chat where ever I want.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's nice seeing more activity like this on this sub-forum :)

Disney was always part of my life growing up since I didn't live too far away from Disneyland. It has always been my magical, happy place, especially as adulthood kicks my butt. I pretty much work to support my Disney habit lol. I even have some WDW countdown blocks in my cube ....

I promise I don't have a problem. :rotfl:

Is it weird that I feel super uncomfortable at gay clubs...?

While I have never felt comfortable at any clubs, at least I feel safer at gay clubs. I'm too much of a granny to really go out and have wild nights now, but I've had enough bad experiences with really inappropriate situations at non-gay clubs that I will just not set foot in one again. It is definitely interesting how your perspective on what is entertaining and a good time changes as you get older though.

While I was lucky enough to come out during the onset of the spectrum of online dating applications, funnily enough, I met my wife the old fashioned way. We were lab partners in college, and I ended up marrying the first woman I dated (yep I'm living up to the stereotype).

What do you guys think about the evolving portrayal of LGBT individuals in the media/entertainment industry?? I'm seeing more characters and representation now that it is becoming more socially acceptable to be out, but I feel like a lot of it is one note or relegated to sidekick status. Do you think we'll ever get to a point where we get say a main character in a Disney movie (like a prince or princess) who identifies somewhere on the LGBT spectrum?

What exactly did you guys do before technology as readily accessible to find others...man that must have been so hard to find someone right?

Back when I was first coming out and going to bars in the late 80's and early 90's, you really didn't have many options.

You could either list or respond to personal ads in weekly/local newspaper or magazines. There were some "matching" services out there, similar to what match.com offers, but it wasn't computer based. There were also the adult book/video stores as well. The one that most people did was go to your local bar or nightclub. Maybe there were other options, but these were the main ones that I recall.

The one thing about going to the bars or nightclubs is that it, for the most part, forced people to interact and be social. In some cases, I will agree that there wasn't a lot of talking before you decided to hook up. But at least you pretty much knew who you were hooking up with. To be honest, I don't view hooking up at a bar/club much different than hooking up on gay.com (when it was at its prime) or with apps like Grindr or Scruff. The primary difference is that at a bar/nightclub, for the most part, you get to actually see the person and physically interact with them (to some degree) versus just sending pics (which may not be real) and chatting online.

Is it weird that I feel super uncomfortable at gay clubs...?

Little late responding to this, but I don't believe it's weird at all.

My first time going to a gay club was on my college program a couple years ago. My friends wanted me to go to the Parliament House White Party with them, and since I'd never been to any before, I agreed without looking into it. I've never really felt comfortable since.

Do you think we'll ever get to a point where we get say a main character in a Disney movie (like a prince or princess) who identifies somewhere on the LGBT spectrum?
I'm keeping my hopes up and always waiting for this to happen! That's why I like to think that it will eventually happen too. Disney movies mean so much to me that a LGBT main character would be such a wonderful thing to see.

Back when I was first coming out and going to bars in the late 80's and early 90's, you really didn't have many options.

There certainly were positives and negatives to meeting at the clubs but it some how seems easier that all of the online stuff now. The internet didn't exist when I met my husband so shopping for dates online is just confusing for me. lol

Good morning chit chatters! pixiedust:

D23AK - I hear ya! *LOL* :dogdance:

It's 7:40-ish here in Sweden. I'm supposed to get going to work but since I still have coffee left in my mug, I thought I'd stop by here first. :surfweb:

Hope you all had a great weekend peeps! :drinking1:music::happytv::woohoo:

Big fuzzy Disney Bear Hugs! :smickey:

:tinker:

I have to get up super early today I HATE mornings...

Anyway I get married next year I'm gonna take his last name only because on my family side I'll be honest I'm not proud to have the last name I do...my mom and her brother are pretty much my only family members.

However, his side makes me feel like a big huge family literally my big fat Italian wedding style lol.

I'm nervous but hey what can you do - just a new adventure you know!

Howdy from Kentucky, y'all! How's everyone this gorgeous Monday morning?!

Me, I am sore in random spots I didn't know I had thanks to going back to yoga this weekend for the first time in a few months. THEN I went to the state fair and walked fifteen country miles. Gotta say though, fair food is the bomb. Pork chop sandwich, totchos (tater tots with nacho toppings OMG), warm cinnamon and sugar pecans, AND deep-fried chocolate pecan pie (we call it Derby Pie) drizzled in raspberry sauce and dusted with powdered sugar. Hoo-eeee... that'll make you slap yer grandma.

Anyway, I shared it all, so calories halved, and with all the walking... I feel like I didn't do TOO much damage.

Then my partner "made me" binge-watch the entire most recent season of RuPaul's Drag Race. Okay, I admit it... I'd never seen any of it before, and I can be a bit of a cultural snob sometimes when it comes to "reality" shows. I'm sure it's all staged, but I don't care... it was fabulous! All the sparklies... so pretttttyyyyyy...

So just sitting here sipping my detox tea and trying to ease into the work week. Don't tell anyone, but I'm planning on a sick day Wednesday at the community pool. I have worked too long now without some time away and I am seriously starting to get burned out.

Campbellz - congrats on your upcoming nuptials!

Good afternoon people! It's already five o'clock here in Finland. Time sure went wast since I was at school until four o'clock. :upsidedow At least tomorrow's school day is going to be easier.
I'm doing mostly fine today even though I apparently caught a slight fever too besides the cold.

The best feeling in the world btw is being in shape.

Since I primarily don't work the streets no more and have been in the office I.e. Everyday they celebrate everything...I've added some weight on but I said enoughs enough and got me and my other half to eat healthy with certain goal days.

Feels so good to be in shape - and especially since our community is so judgemental...

The best feeling in the world btw is being in shape.

Since I primarily don't work the streets no more and have been in the office I.e. Everyday they celebrate everything...I've added some weight on but I said enoughs enough and got me and my other half to eat healthy with certain goal days.

Feels so good to be in shape - and especially since our community is so judgemental...

My experience is definitely that lesbians seem less judgmental, on the whole, about beauty/body image/fashion. (Stereotypically, of course.) But my partner and I are definitely trying to get in shape. I am a long way from my goal, but I have come up with a creative new tactic to increase my odds of sticking to a plan. I gave a friend of mine $50 that he is to donate to the (insert name of candidate here - I don't want to run afoul of board politics rules) campaign if I fail and go over my daily calorie allotment. So far, it has saved me from eating a bad thing on a few different days, so it appears to be working! But a friend of mine said, "Why should the rest of the world have to suffer just because you can't stick to a diet?!" LOL.

My experience is definitely that lesbians seem less judgmental, on the whole, about beauty/body image/fashion. (Stereotypically, of course.) But my partner and I are definitely trying to get in shape. I am a long way from my goal, but I have come up with a creative new tactic to increase my odds of sticking to a plan. I gave a friend of mine $50 that he is to donate to the (insert name of candidate here - I don't want to run afoul of board politics rules) campaign if I fail and go over my daily calorie allotment. So far, it has saved me from eating a bad thing on a few different days, so it appears to be working! But a friend of mine said, "Why should the rest of the world have to suffer just because you can't stick to a diet?!" LOL.

Staying in shape is so hard. So hard. Especially once you find a partner and the incentive to try to look good to attract someone goes out the window lol. I agree in general, lesbians tend to be less judgemental about appearance within the community as a whole, but they can be really rigid about the type of woman they go for individually.

I've been struggling with a back injury for almost the last 5 years, and re-establishing an exercise routine has been really frustrating/discouraging for me since I have to go so much slower and be aware of my back so I don't re-injure it. For our latest trip to WDW, I made a bet with my wife I could lose 10 lbs in 3 months (that is about how long it takes for me to really get into a routine lol). If I won, we got to do an in park shoot during our trip, and if I didn't, we didn't have to spend the money :laughing:

Well, I didn't quite make the 10 lbs (got stuck around 7), but my wife was so proud of me for trying so hard, she said we could book the shoot anyway. Sometimes all you need is the right incentive I guess :D

Staying in shape is so hard. So hard. Especially once you find a partner and the incentive to try to look good to attract someone goes out the window lol. I agree in general, lesbians tend to be less judgemental about appearance within the community as a whole, but they can be really rigid about the type of woman they go for individually.

I've been struggling with a back injury for almost the last 5 years, and re-establishing an exercise routine has been really frustrating/discouraging for me since I have to go so much slower and be aware of my back so I don't re-injure it.

Ick, so sorry to hear that - back injuries are the worst, because your back carries so much of the load of each movement. And like most injuries, once you do it, it's a lot easier to repeat the injury. I am having that issue with my Achilles tendon. Years ago I ran up the stairs and POP... excruciating pain. Took months to heal. But now I'm suffering it again, and I don't even know what I did to it to set it off. Just trying to be mindful of wearing good shoes and icing it and stuff. Yoga seems to be okay, as long as I take it easy and be mindful of not putting too much stress on it, but it's still a royal pain in the butt.

Well, ankle, anyway.

You're right, too. Less judgmental as a rule, but perhaps more rigid at least as it pertains to the butch/femme dynamic. But I guess people like what they like. Certainly, I think there is something to love about pretty much everyone once you get to know them, but there are usually things that catch your eye right off the bat. It's just a fine line between saying 'This is what I find attractive' and letting that keep you from meeting amazing people.

Ick, so sorry to hear that - back injuries are the worst, because your back carries so much of the load of each movement. And like most injuries, once you do it, it's a lot easier to repeat the injury. I am having that issue with my Achilles tendon. Years ago I ran up the stairs and POP... excruciating pain. Took months to heal. But now I'm suffering it again, and I don't even know what I did to it to set it off. Just trying to be mindful of wearing good shoes and icing it and stuff. Yoga seems to be okay, as long as I take it easy and be mindful of not putting too much stress on it, but it's still a royal pain in the butt.

Well, ankle, anyway.

You're right, too. Less judgmental as a rule, but perhaps more rigid at least as it pertains to the butch/femme dynamic. But I guess people like what they like. Certainly, I think there is something to love about pretty much everyone once you get to know them, but there are usually things that catch your eye right off the bat. It's just a fine line between saying 'This is what I find attractive' and letting that keep you from meeting amazing people.

Yeah. I definitely have friends who won't even give someone a second glance if they are too butch/too femme, and it makes me sad because they're making such a snap judgement on a single interaction.

That is probably the most frustrating thing about injuries. You think you've finally healed from them, and then way down the road (sometimes years) they come back to haunt you seemingly out of no where. I definitely wish I could visit my younger self and tell her to please take care of my body since I only get one ha.

I know what that mean unfortunately xD
in the last years I worked a lot and my "sport life" died very poorly -.- and now I have some chilos that (probably) the gay world (especially the italian one) doesn't like very much :badpc:
But hey, eating is always a nice satisfaction :dumbo::dumbo:

By the way, here is 2 am and still I cannot sleep...and in like 5 hours I have to wake up :eek::faint:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!