The Running Thread - 2017

Discussion in 'runDisney' started by LSUlakes, Jan 3, 2017.

1. jennamfeo

jennamfeo Mouseketeer

Haha, I like that! I have noticed that most of the rD races I have done are over by some degree. And now I know logistics and such. Thanks for sharing. *the more you know* :teacher:

roxymama likes this.
  2. McNs

McNs DIS Veteran

What @CheapRunnerMike said. It was superb, though I think we got through maybe half? Would have been better splitting a couple of the regular ice creams but then I couldn’t resist the Kitchen Sink.

Note reservations go pretty quick for this place though they do have a takeout window and a similar menu item for I think around $25. It was lucky I knew 6 months ago I would be wanting ice cream for dinner yesterday.

ATTQOTD I’m similar to @JClimacus in that I run based on how I feel. Sometimes it’s quick others slow. Don’t see the point pushing hard when the body is protesting, likewise holding back when feeling great. I’m not training for anything, just enjoy running.

JClimacus and SheHulk like this.
  3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. cburnett11

cburnett11 Mouseketeer

I train by pace. I get hr data via a Schosche Rhythm+ wrist strap that send data to my Garmin 230. I like looking at the data after I run, but I have trouble not noticing it during my runs. I don't even have to look at the Garmin, the strap blinks blue, violet, or red. Blue is easy runs. Violet is tempo-ish and sometimes a bit of speed. I don't care to see red unless I'm really pushing it on shorter intervals or unless it's baking outside. I couldn't take my eyes off it in Chicago and it happened to go red a few times early and then was permanently red midway through the race. That really bothered me and probably got in my head a bit. To make matters worse, it stayed red and my Garmin was reading 166 whether I walked, jogged, or ran for probably the last 8 miles or so. I assumed I could NOT get my HR down. In reality it just seems like my hrm went wonky. I might go back to low tech.

LSUlakes likes this.
  5. PrincessV

PrincessV DIS Veteran

I'm ready for bed by 8pm on non-race nights - it's an effort to stay up any later! So knocking it back an hour+ for races has always been easy for me. :)

ATTQOTD: Lately, I only train by distance; really don't care what my pace is. When I have trained for a time goal, it was by pace. No HR monitor, but I'll occasionally measure manually, just out of curiosity.

LSUlakes likes this.
  6. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

11021A2E-EF59-452D-8EC9-BA10A316C66C.jpeg Off topic question? Is it normal to have this much room in the toe box? My thumb is against my big toe. I’m thinking it may be the cause of my blisters. When I got fitted for these shoes they were perfect for my tendinitis problems but were a little big in the toe box. But since they solved the problem at the time I went with them. But now they seem way too big! I have lost about 20 lbs but do you lose weight in your feet??

LSUlakes likes this.
  7. Miranda

Miranda DIS Veteran

Huh, I had no idea it blinked different colors based on your HR. :) I only ever see the LED when I turn it on, then it's under my shirt sleeve, out of sight out of mind. I thought it just blinked blue all the time to indicate it was on.

cburnett11 likes this.
  8. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

You sure can lose weight in your feet. If you lose a decent percentage of body weight it can definitely happen.

LSUlakes likes this.
  9. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

Well doing the #math, I lost 18% of my body weight... So..... maybe?

LSUlakes and Capang like this.
  10. Capang

Capang DIS Veteran

Totally true. I've battled my weight all my life which is why I started running. I've lost over 20% of my body weight recently and dropped almost 2 shoe sizes. Nice job on the weight loss. Not an easy task!

11. Dis5150

Dis5150 DIS Veteran

Thanks! You too!

Capang likes this.
  12. roxymama

roxymama DIS Veteran

Yes, I've gone up shoe size and a half and back down same amount that corresponded very much with before and after weights.

13. OldSlowGoofyGuy

OldSlowGoofyGuy DIS Veteran

I've noticed the first alert after a lap (either a mile or interval as setup on the watch) is off a lot of times. I've seen the exact same thing, where I think I'm at pace and will get a slow alert, almost immediately followed by a fast alert. I'm guessing just a bug or rounding error in the software that only appears in the first recalculation.

It appears to me that the pace alerts are based on average lap/interval pace, and not instantaneous pace. As an example: 'slow' pace is set at 8:30. Average pace for the lap is 8:40. I'm currently running 8:20 to catch up. I can see the average pace slowly get faster, but I will not get the 'purring kitten' 'in the zone' buzz until average pace hits 8:30, even though I am currently running 8:20.

I make sure and wear the watch high and so tight it leaves an imprint. I even shaved a little spot where the watch goes to see if that was the issue. I tried switching wrists. I still see lock. It can be for 30 second or almost the whole run. I'm guessing it has to do with my cadence, which is in the 160-170 range. It seemed to get worse after an upgrade about a month ago. Seems like it was version 7.3, but not sure.

14. StarGirl11

StarGirl11 DIS Veteran

I lost about 25 percent of my body weight just from weight loss surgery and dropped 2.5 sizes in men's shoes. It's one of those things you swear isn't going to happen until it does.

15. DopeyBadger

DopeyBadger Imagathoner

Here's a recent cadence lock for me:

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.12.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 4.12.21 PM.png

It was because my watch was too loose on my wrist.

DVCFan1994 likes this.
  16. OldSlowGoofyGuy

OldSlowGoofyGuy DIS Veteran

I have a feeling that overlay chart indicates why some people have issues and some don't. Yours show about a 40 point spread between HR and cadence. Mine is more like 20.

That and my old, thin blood is harder to see!

DopeyBadger likes this.
  17. JulieODC

JulieODC DIS Veteran

I usually train by pace - or actually, just go out and run a certain distance or time and its take how long it takes, or I make it as far as I make it!

I did just get a Garmin with Hr so have been checking in to see how it varies under different conditions. Maybe someday I'll try a HR training plan...

LSUlakes likes this.
  18. Wendy98

Wendy98 Mouseketeer

Quick update: I went to the spine doctor Monday. I am still broken. Fracture is still present which I already knew. I still really feel it when putting on pants and all my weight is on the right leg. At least another 4 weeks of no running.

19. SheHulk

SheHulk Smashing runDisney events

Oh gosh I'm so sorry.

Wendy98 likes this.
  20. ZellyB

ZellyB DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear this. :(

Wendy98 likes this.
  21. FFigawi

FFigawi DIS Veteran

Clearly, you need to stop wearing pants :rotfl:

maw, dmross, pixarmom and 7 others like this.