The Running Thread - 2018

I generally have my big Spring race in March or April and then it's maintenance runs for me (and races in the 5k to 10k range) until I start training for Fall races. My goal Fall races are usually in November or December so I guess the training generally starts some time in July or August. Since my "Fall" race last year was actually 2018 marathon weekend in January, training didn't start until September.

ATTQOTD: I've only ever raced in February & March. I guess training would be fall/winter and maintenance the rest of the year although that's usually when I fell off the running wagon.

Yesterday QOTD - Forrest Gump hands down. Love that whole running scene.

Today - Maintenance training runs for me depend on when I have races scheduled. Following Dopey, I was just doing some maintenance, but now starting to train for a June half.

QOTD: What time of year do you consider to be race prep v/s maintenance runs?

Maintenance? What is this maintenance you speak of? I generally have goal races in both the spring and fall. As a response lt, I’m training for the spring race through the winter and early spring and training for the fall race summer and early fall. I guess you could consider the abbreviated training between the goal race and another race that season could be considered maintenance, but that’s inconsistent and dependent on the mix of races I choose to run in a season.

In 2015 the race prep never ended...which was not a good thing. So, the last couple of years I switched to maintenance mode and scaled back mileage/days per week over the summer months. Last summer I cut back a little too much and for a little too long (as I waited for the official Star Wars LS cancellation). With training for my first marathon beginning in September, I need to do a better job of maintaining fitness this year!

We are typically training for something year round. Usually a half in the spring and a full and sometimes also a half in the fall and then marathon weekend.

ATTQOTD: I don't really train for distances other than marathon. For 5 of the last 6 years, my target race has been Rocket City, the first week of December. Then I tack a Marathon Weekend event on to that same training cycle. This year I started my marathon training the week after Peachtree, July 4th.

So my year typically looks like this:
Jan-Feb: recover and get fat
Mar-Jul: wake up from hibernation and get in shape for Peachtree (not formal training, but up the pace and distance)
Jul-Nov: marathon training
Dec: recover from RCM for Marathon Weekend

I'm not sure what this fall is going to look like since I'm retired from the marathon.

QOTD: In the area that you live, is there a period of time in which there are not any organized races?

ATTQOTD: With the warm summers here, the last 5k is usually around the end of May, and they dont really start to pick back up until September. There is a handful of random events, like the freedom mile during the 4th of July weekend, and a few 2 mile races during the middle of the week, but for the most part a lot of nothing. Races with longer distances (10+ miles) will end this month and resume in October.
There are races here in New a England all the time but given the fact my town got 28" of snow on Tuesday I would sign up for one until April probably. While we still have a chance at a big storm in April the chances are less likely.

QOTD: What is your favorite movie that has at least one scene about running?

ATTQOTD: So many options for this one! I am going to go with the Steve Prefontaine move "Without Limits". Also receiving votes from myself would be "Forest Gump" (Perhaps one of the best movies ever made IMO) and "Patriots Day". So many other options as well and I really enjoy them all!

I love National Lampoons Vacation. The scene of them running through the parking lot qualifies as one scene about running. But that Barkley documentary is mesmerizing. I will be looking into this Badwater documentary next though.

My wife and I watched The Barkley Marathons: The Race that Eats Its Young on the plane heading to our first marathon at WDW. If you haven't watched it, it's available on Netflix and it's INSANE.

http://barkleymovie.com/

Yep, such a cool watch.

ATTQOTD: Race prep / race season is October to March, give or take a few weeks one way or the other. Keeping up my fitness level would then be from April to September. Usually April I will run a 5k or 10 to end things, and since nearly every marathon around here is in January, my training plans will start around the second week of September.

Race prep starts in March for me. I officially registered for the BAA 10K yesterday. Now I need to start getting ready. This will be my fourth year in a row for this race. It's a great day and a great race.

QOTD: A non running question today. Are you a fan of March Madness in general? Do you have a team playing in the NCAA or NIT tournament this year and how do you think they will do?

ATTQOTD: I like the excitement of the tournament, but watching games is a hit or miss for me. This year after a very bad year last year, LSU has made it to the NIT. It's not the big dance, but its a move it the right direction and a great turnaround in the new coaches first year. We played a instate team last night, that really dislikes LSU. For a first round NIT game, the place was rocking last night. Sad I was not able to go, but did get to watch it and it was a exciting game. The SEC has 8 teams in the NCAA this year, but i doubt any of them make it past the sweet 16. Next game for the Tigers is Monday at Utah on ESPNU, which of course we do not have :(

I'll watch some games or bits of games actually & fill out a Bracket. Sadly, Nebraska didn't make it & just lost in the NIT tournament, so boo! But, Creighton is in the NCAA tournament so there's them to cheer for. I usually root for Gonzaga too just because.

ATTQOTD: It's my favorite sports event of the entire year. Taking the afternoon off today and tomorrow to sit in my recliner and try to keep tabs on multiple games at once. I eat, sleep, and breathe the tournament.

My team is Kentucky. They're a likable bunch of young knuckleheads. I think they win their first game tonight(against Davidson), and lose in the 2nd round to Arizona. But I would LOVE to be wrong about that.

Go Big Blue.

Also, your boy Will Wade got HEATED with that ULL coach last night. As an SEC fan, I got a kick out of it. Will's definitely got some fire in his veins. Glad you guys won that one.

ATTQOTD: I like watching the last 10 or so minutes of a close basketball game so these first few days of the tournament work perfectly for me. Sadly, no teams I'm really cheering for made the tournament. My local running store is giving away a free pair of shoes to their pool winner. I'll be following that pretty closely and hoping for some good luck.

ATTQOTD: I don’t follow college basketball during the regular season, but I love March Madness! We do a family pool every year with my parents and sister (we do bowl game picks too for college football, which we all like much more).

My team is Oklahoma. I was shocked they made it after their rough last half of the season. The half I’m running Saturday is March Madness themed, and during registration we were asked our favorite team, so apparently I’ll have OU on my bib. Hopefully they make it out with a win today.

After Oklahoma, I will go for UVA.

I went to a really tiny school, but the girls team makes it to the tournament often, so I got to cheer during the first round twice which was fun. I don’t follow them anymore though.

QOTD: A non running question today. Are you a fan of March Madness in general? Do you have a team playing in the NCAA or NIT tournament this year and how do you think they will do?

See my username....so yes and yes! Providence v. Texas A&M tomorrow and then we'll just have to take care of NC after that! popcorn:: Also, looking forward to the Frozen Four, the hockey equivalent to the final four!

We are big basketball fans in our house, but after spending all of last weekend at the high school boy's state tournament, I need a bit of a breather.... which unfortunately Nebraska basketball provided for me (like @cavepig mentioned... btw, not sure I knew we were from the same state :) )
I did fill out a bracket though. At work we do the point based thing, not just wins, so it's always a toss up!

ATTQOTD: I used to be super into it. I played basketball all growing up and even for a bit at a D1 school. We made it to the tournament as a #14 seed and nearly upset the #3 seed in our first round game... we only lost by 3, 71-68. I left the team for personal reasons and completely did a 180 on basketball after that. I haven't touched a ball since then and do not follow NCAA or pro anymore beyond the general big headlines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter