The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD- I did enjoy the port orleans fun run, but wanted to run it twice and my running partner did not. I thought it was cute and fun with a bubble wand start, mardi gras beads for my kids when I got back, but I did get busted for having a bit of powdered sugar on me! The area around boardwalk was less fun as I found it to be slick in the morning. I have a friend in the area who would prefer to run off property so I may end up somewhere in winter garden next-next time, but I anticipate the next trip will be running only during the 10K and I cannot wait! It will be my first race at WDW!

ATTQOTD-Thursday- Thanks LSUlakes for the question! I have decided that after Princess 10K, I want to do a few 10s where I am not stopping to snap photos. I was so excited to get my bad selfie in Cars Land and my pic with Captain America; I anticipate I will not be able to help myself in February. However, I am genuinely curious as to how I would do time wise without it all. We have a 5 or 10K almost every weekend in May and June in easy driving distance, and I haven't a clue how to pick which one or ones I want to try. Local elementary PTO race? Flattest race in town? Cute 10K along the river? Draw race names out of a hat? Do nothing and decide in March? It feels like a bigger deal to pick a target than I think it probably is.

Fun Friday QOTD: When you are at Walt Disney World, where do you like to get your runs in? (This excludes runDisney events)
I don't... oopsies! In my defense though, my last 7 trips have been runDisney weekends so I did run, just not on my own. I typically stay at Pop or Art of Animation so if I felt the need the hourglass lake path would be a great option and easy to do.

Since I've started running, I think I've only going to Disney World for RunDisney events! So for the most part, that's the only running I do while there. I did run the path at the Port Orleans resorts once and that was really nice.

QOTD: When you are at Walt Disney World, where do you like to get your runs in? (This excludes runDisney events)

Answer: The treadmill at the gym usually. When we stay at Boardwalk, I've run around the lake before. When we stayed at POFQ a couple years ago - I sprained my ankle on a pinecone.

Fun Friday QOTD: When you are at Walt Disney World, where do you like to get your runs in? (This excludes runDisney events)
My only runs at WDW involve runDisney events. If I were to run outside of that though I think I would like to run around the Epcot resorts or Ft. Wilderness at Halloween or Christmas. I love the Epcot resort area so there is a lot to see and run by. As for Ft. Wilderness people go crazy decorating their camp site during the holidays but I have never seen that in person so if I was looking for a spot to run during that time that is when I would do it to see all the decor.

QOTD: Todays question is a suggestion from a follow poster on this thread. Thanks for the suggestion! How do you determine your race schedule for the year?

Generally, there are annual races that I almost always do: Race the Runways Half/Airport Challenge, Stonyfield 5K, Tanger Outlet 5k and Yule Light Up the Nights 2-Miler. A few races I've always done have stopped, and this year will be my last year for any rD races for a while (3-4 years).

Thus outside of my normal races, I tried to find new races to try out. Most of the time they are one-and-dones or once every few years. This year I'm looking to compete in my first triathlon and a few odd ball races (15K, 3K, 1/4 Marathons, etc). Spring and fall tend to be the best months for racing.Significant events (weddings, holidays, etc) I tried to avoid planning any races because who knows what will happen.

ATTQOTD- I've done most of my running around hourglass (POP/AoA), but have also run some from there over to Caribbean and have also stayed at Coronado and enjoyed the loop there. However my favorite is running around the Boardwalk area hotels. I've actually Ubered over there in the morning from Polynesian before because it's just that good to run there.

ATTQOTD: A short trip back in September was the first time I have ever run at Disney during a non runDisney trip. We stayed off property at Bonnet Creek but you have to drive on property to get it and you can see Caribbean beach from the trees. I was able to get a good three mile run in incorporating a loop around their lake and then running an out and back towards Buena Vista Drive.

ATTQOTD: Most of our past visits have involved runDisney events. Last year when we did the marathon we arrived the week before so we ran at All Star Sports, just from our resort to the end of the road then up to McDonalds and back a few times, to get the rest of our training runs in prerace. I honestly can't remember if we ever ran the path from HS to Boardwalk! We talked about it a lot but I can't remember if we actually did it or not, lol. @LikelyLynae do you remember? :)

ETA: We also ran at Wyndham Bonnet Creek during a vacation while training to run the same marathon.

Unless I'm at Disney for a race, I'm probably not going to run while I'm there. I'll be too busy eating and drinking my way through the parks to want to get up early and run. That said, during last year's make-up half, I did enjoy running back and forth between Epcot and MGM a few times. It's an easy loop and generally not too crowded.

ATTQOTD: If I'm staying onsite, at my resort! I really don't want to travel somewhere else to get a run in. If I'm at a Deluxe, I really like using the fancy treadmills because I don't have those bells and whistles at home. (Also becasue if it's a stay longer than a couple nights, and it's not for a race, it's July and HOT outside.) I've always enjoyed running at CBR, SSR is okay, and POR/POFQ isn't bad. I'm not a fan of the EP resorts loop, but when I've been offsite and needed to get a run in, that's an easy, safe place to go.

ATTQOTD: While at Disney resorts, I don't run. When I have been in Orlando for a conference and was staying at a Good Neighbor Hotel, ran up and down Hotel Plaza Blvd and Buena Vista Drive several times. Downtown Disney was under so much construction last time, it made it a pain to try and run through.

Attqotd: I haven't ran at Disney beyond races because every time we've gone since I started running has been during rundisney events.
Wait...I take that back...I did a shakeout run at Disneyland down the street where they put the corrals.

I'd like to try a WDW path one day but I like being in the parks early and late too much!!

Fun Friday QOTD: When you are at Walt Disney World, where do you like to get your runs in? (This excludes runDisney events).

ATTQOTD: I do maintenance runs when I’m at Disney and NOT runDisneying. I’ve done Wildernesses/ Ft Wilderness loop. (No picture sorry!), Boardwalk, 970F749C-C133-4A5B-B231-78A3373498D7.jpeg

Contemporary, 24E35D82-4A30-456B-B9FF-091885BC0050.jpeg

Poly / GF Seven Seas Lagoon Loop which is my favorite, FF3847AB-EAEF-4BCC-A8CE-A7F2EAACD360.jpeg

Running at Disney is an awesome way to start the day!

This week we have the following folks with races:

20 - jennamfoe - Run with the Balloons 5k (NG / N/A)!

Can't wait to show off my running costume for this race!

ATTQOTD: I have only been to WDW once for a rD event. However, while on this trip, my husband and I got off on the wrong bus stop (French Quarter vs Riverside) and we had to talk a nice walk along the river to our hotel. (TWICE.)

ATTQOTD: I've done the Boardwalk loop/DHS path a few times. I have also run around the lake at AOA/POP and enjoyed reading the trivia signs along the way.

ATTQOTD: Outside of a rD event, I have only done 1 run. I did the GF/Poly loop for 2 miles. It was this past June and I was staying at VGF with my mom, grandmother, sister and cousin and I needed to get out for a few minutes :faint: We do always choose to walk from DHS to Epcot and vice versa, it’s my favorite path in all of WDW!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter