The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: get back to where a was a few months ago mentally (physically I'm just going to stay where I am, because I'm fine, but mentally is a different story).

ATTQOTD: Run a lot. Trust the plan. Prepare for my marathon debut in the fall. It's gonna be a training summer, not much of a racing summer.

RE food snobs. @SarahDisney is a pizza snob. She thinks Chicago pizza is superior to NYC pizza. This is why she is going to fly to Chicago in July to do this race with me.
(disclaimer...the above statement is not endorsed by @SarahDisney but paid for by the roxymamaisatrollfund.)
1BFKJNZt_ExGveMOyB_HmWpRL4Src1OlpDBdyHQZupiOSVccR_kCA6I_mRVy0gfWpnSca4PrQg=s0-d-e1-ft

A) NYC pizza is superior to all other pizza (same with bagels, btw)
B) I will have just gotten back from Disney and will have already missed a few days of work, so no dice. When you find a race that celebrates a food that is actually better in Chicago, maybe I'll think about coming out.

Did you know that Texas is a state?
You know, I have only been through what I call "the hat" of Texas while driving across country and also to the Houston airport for a layover. I feel like I know someone who lives in Texas though......... :scratchin

A) NYC pizza is superior to all other pizza (same with bagels, btw)
B) I will have just gotten back from Disney and will have already missed a few days of work, so no dice. When you find a race that celebrates a food that is actually better in Chicago, maybe I'll think about coming out.

Oh snap. @roxymama trying to start a pizza feud and I'm getting worked up over here.

Neapolitan Pizza is the best pizza on the planet. Specifically from Naples. DO NOT @ ME. I DON'T HAVE TIME TO DEBATE THIS.

The Running Thread 2018 - come for running talk, STAY FOR THE HOT FOOD OPINIONS.

I am signed up for this one next year! I did it when they had their Global Running Day sale!

Yes!!! I'm about 70/30 on it at this point ... the date works out where I can make it the week I drive home from Florida after Marathon Weekend.

Well... Houston is a great place to LIVE. Just not sure why you'd want to take vacation time to VISIT. I would use vacation time for NOLA in a heartbeat, of course. And one of the best breweries in the country is in LA (Parish Brewing).

As a native of Louisiana I will say this. Going to Bourbon street is not really worth it IMO. The crime is out of control lately. I think touring the city is great and it has a lot of cool history, but for night life I would cab/uber everywhere. Whatever you do, stay away from NOLA during Mardi Gras. If you must come, do so between November and February. Both Baton Rouge and NOLA are fun places during football season. Even during away games, there is just a little something extra in the air. The WWII museum is amazing and the food is great. It's not cajun food, but they do have good stuff. With the creole influence in NOLA any dish they call cajun has unwanted tomatoes in it. For good cajun food, head to Lafayette and surrounding towns. The best stuff is usually cooked in peoples homes.

Ah yes. I've had to stop in Broussard many a time while driving to NOLA to pick up Ghost in the Machine.

A shipment recently made it to Baton Rouge again and I got a 4 pack. It is delicious! I had 2 last night.

Anyone who happens to find themselves in the Baton Rouge area and wants to try some unique food, I will personally cook a meal for you if given enough of a heads up. I also have a few places I would recommend to eat if time isn't on our side. My first choice being The Chimes!

@KSellers88 Ditch the RNR NOLA race and run the Louisiana Marathon or Half!

I'm just being a brat. (which are excellent in Wisconsin, btw)

I actually believe that it goes in this order:
Southside Chicago thincrust > NYC pizza > Chicago deep dish
Many locals would agree.

I've never been to Naples, so @jennamfeo when are you taking me????

As a native of Louisiana I will say this. Going to Bourbon street is not really worth it IMO. The crime is out of control lately. I think touring the city is great and it has a lot of cool history, but for night life I would cab/uber everywhere. Whatever you do, stay away from NOLA during Mardi Gras. If you must come, do so between November and February. Both Baton Rouge and NOLA are fun places during football season. Even during away games, there is just a little something extra in the air. The WWII museum is amazing and the food is great. It's not cajun food, but they do have good stuff. With the creole influence in NOLA any dish they call cajun has unwanted tomatoes in it. For good cajun food, head to Lafayette and surrounding towns. The best stuff is usually cooked in peoples homes.

For real. My heart breaks a little each time someone asks for recommendations on Bourbon Street. The closest I get is Erin Rose for a frozen Irish coffee and a Jameson grilled cheese from Killer Po'Boys. Other than that, I'm all about Garden District/Irish Channel and then Bywater/Marigny - plus, I like to walk or ride my bike places when I'm in town, so those areas make it so much easier to do so!

For real. My heart breaks a little each time someone asks for recommendations on Bourbon Street. The closest I get is Erin Rose for a frozen Irish coffee and a Jameson grilled cheese from Killer Po'Boys. Other than that, I'm all about Garden District/Irish Channel and then Bywater/Marigny - plus, I like to walk or ride my bike places when I'm in town, so those areas make it so much easier to do so!

I had a lot of fun on Bourbon back in the day when DW and I were dating. We would sit at the piano bar drinking hurricanes for hours. We closed the bar out more than once, grab a Lucky Dog and then head to Harris to meet her parent for some sunrise gambling. The worse hangovers of my life though. Sometime we would get beignets before heading home. I'll add our rehearsal "dinner" more of a cocktail part was on the second floor of Pat O'Briens which included a full selection of their signature drinks. We held the event on Thursday and the wedding was Saturday night, which allowed everyone a day to recover from the rehearsal. That was 9 years ago as we just made our 9 year anniversary this month.

I had a lot of fun on Bourbon back in the day when DW and I were dating. We would sit at the piano bar drinking hurricanes for hours. We closed the bar out more than once, grab a Lucky Dog and then head to Harris to meet her parent for some sunrise gambling. The worse hangovers of my life though. Sometime we would get beignets before heading home. I'll add our rehearsal "dinner" more of a cocktail part was on the second floor of Pat O'Briens which included a full selection of their signature drinks. We held the event on Thursday and the wedding was Saturday night, which allowed everyone a day to recover from the rehearsal. That was 9 years ago as we just made our 9 year anniversary this month.

I would punch a kitten for some good beignets right now.

Yes!!! I'm about 70/30 on it at this point ... the date works out where I can make it the week I drive home from Florida after Marathon Weekend.

I love the RNR Races so I am excited to try it. Also excited to go to NOLA as we have never been even though we are only 5 hours away. I think it would be a great halfway stop for you and an informal DIS meetup possibly?? LOL.

I love the RNR Races so I am excited to try it. Also excited to go to NOLA as we have never been even though we are only 5 hours away. I think it would be a great halfway stop for you and an informal DIS meetup possibly?? LOL.

Now we're talking!!!!

For a daytime outing I may consider. I normally do not go past Kenner. Two reasons I go there, my inlaws live there, and MSY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter