The Running Thread - 2018

I know pretty much nothing about BBQ.

Wisconsin has great cheese, sausages, and beer. What else could I need?

As for Pizza I have never had New York pizza only Chicago and it was just okay, I agree with @Keels on the Pizza Lasagna thing.

ATTQOTD: Get back to running. Get back to where I was. Start to be able to train for Dopey.

I had a physical therapy appointment yesterday and they let me run for 3 minutes but that's all. Actual return to running is probably at least another 2+ weeks off. Pool running and recumbent bike to try and maintain some level of fitness, and I'll throw the elliptical in when they let me, but ugh. I am so sad. :(

ATTQOTD - Summer I love, but it's cool today and far from feeling summery. Goal at the end is a marathon PR in Sept.

ATTQOTD: Happy Summer! My summer plan is to build mileage because I will be signing up for my 1st marathon in <1 month!!
(It feels like anything but summer here... high is 65F today which is crazy low for this time of year and so much rain! It will be back in the 90s next week though.)
So over the rain! Poor CWS but they are getting the games in at least.

As far as grocery stores go... where are my midwest people? Hy-Vee is the best!
Yes Hyvee, I actually have one only a 1/2 mile away, I have been known to stop on a run to grab something :)

Hey guys - been absent for a while. Had abdominal surgery (cancer scare) in late January/early February. I am finally past the surgery and have started running again. So this QOTD is very appropriate for me as I reassess my running goals for the year.

Essentially, my VO2 Max went from 51 to 38 from months of forced layoff from all exercise (seriously, I wasn't allowed to do anything but walk for months, and much of that was very slow). I started jogging again 4 weeks ago and have already improved my VO2 Max to 42, but man is it going to be hard to get back above 50. I have to put together a training plan to get there, and I haven't been this weak (as a runner) in my adult life. Really not sure what that will look like yet, but instead of taking the "stay healthy" approach during these months I am going to be pushing myself.

I would love to hear thoughts from others who have faced a similar hurdle. I don't have any races planned, but I really want/need to improve my VO2 Max.
Welcome back! I have no advice but pixie dust your way to getting back to where you want.

Nebraska (half)
Ha! The only reason anyone comes to Nebraska to run is for 50 states, not the most scenic! At least races are easy to get into here.

I know pretty much nothing about BBQ.

Wisconsin has great cheese, sausages, and beer. What else could I need?

As for Pizza I have never had New York pizza only Chicago and it was just okay, I agree with @Keels on the Pizza Lasagna thing.

I'll give you the pizza lasagna thing. But I have to clarify...

REAL CHICAGO PIZZA
Thin crust, big toppings, cut into tiny party squares the size of post its or cheezits.
20110608-155378-Chicago-Vito-Nick-Thin-Crust-Sausage-Slice-610.jpg

vs whatever this is
ChicagoDeepDish800.jpg

ATTQOTD: 1. To keep my sanity in check during family visits. 2. Start my Dopey training. 3. Drop a few more pounds. I’m down 7 since March (slow progress), would like to make it 15 by Sept.

BBQ debate— I think the best is what you grew up with. I’m from middle Ga, partial to chopped pork with the sauce mixed in. Love all the barbecue from our years in NW Fla, Alabama, Texas (Rudy’s catered DH’s Air Force retirement), and now NC (other than the gross mustard based sauces). Just bring me out for supper, give me half a dozen sides to pick from and pass the napkins.

QOTD: Today is the first day of summer with fall starting 9/22. What are your running goals this summer?

Following a busy spring race schedule June, July and August are heavy training months. This is mostly due to the summer race schedule (very light due to heat) but also because I need to build a base for fall events. I am scheduled for two local sprint tris and perhaps a 5k or two but nothing major.

The fall goals:
1. Sub 20 minute 5k;
2. Kiawah Triathlon and Dam Tri (International distances)
3. Isle of Palms Connector 10k
4. Kiawah half in December

Hey guys - been absent for a while. Had abdominal surgery (cancer scare) in late January/early February. I am finally past the surgery and have started running again. So this QOTD is very appropriate for me as I reassess my running goals for the year.

Essentially, my VO2 Max went from 51 to 38 from months of forced layoff from all exercise (seriously, I wasn't allowed to do anything but walk for months, and much of that was very slow). I started jogging again 4 weeks ago and have already improved my VO2 Max to 42, but man is it going to be hard to get back above 50. I have to put together a training plan to get there, and I haven't been this weak (as a runner) in my adult life. Really not sure what that will look like yet, but instead of taking the "stay healthy" approach during these months I am going to be pushing myself.

I would love to hear thoughts from others who have faced a similar hurdle. I don't have any races planned, but I really want/need to improve my VO2 Max.

Welcome back. I'm sorry to hear of your health scare, but so thankful that you are recovered and back to running.

I had extended time off following my breast cancer surgery and treatments. My advice isn't very specific, but I just had to first accept that I had a long road to build myself back to where I had been and then be patient as my endurance climbed. I just gave myself permission to take it very slowly and then laid out a schedule (because I love a good spreasheet) that very gradually increased my mileage and pace/intervals. Even with the illness and extended time off, I was pleased with how quickly my endurance returned. So basically, be kind to yourself and give yourself time. You'll be surprised how quickly it will come back.

Ha! The only reason anyone comes to Nebraska to run is for 50 states, not the most scenic! At least races are easy to get into here.

One of these days I want to make it to Nebraska for the CWS. I hear that even in years which LSU is not there, a decent amount of Tiger fans make the trip up to watch the games live anyway. Speaking of the CWS, did you see the Troll job that guy pulled yesterday. He was a Mississippi State fan and he told the reporter that his wifes boyfriend sold his prosthetic leg to buy him tickets. He continues with, now everyone is happy because I am here, and he and my wife get some alone time during the week. THEY PUT THAT ON TV LOLOLOLOL

Pizza hut delivered on a rainy movie night is kinda legit. The bread sticks are good. I make a better pie at home, making my own thing crust dough, but its a decent amount of work and DD is becoming less interested in making it lately.

And now is the time in the thread where I rank popular pizza establishments:
1. Domino's
2. Papa John's
3. Pizza Hut
4. Little Caesars
1000000. Papa Murphy's

Ill take Papa Murphys over Little Ceasars all day, everyday, and twice on Sunday. I'll take gas station pizza over that stuff!

Following a busy spring race schedule June, July and August are heavy training months. This is mostly due to the summer race schedule (very light due to heat) but also because I need to build a base for fall events. I am scheduled for two local sprint tris and perhaps a 5k or two but nothing major.

The fall goals:
1. Sub 20 minute 5k;
2. Kiawah Triathlon and Dam Tri (International distances)
3. Isle of Palms Connector 10k
4. Kiawah half in December
I’m doing the Kiswah half as well. Had to defer last year due to being snowed in. Great deferral policy!

Pfffttttt. That $6 ExtraMostBestest Pepperoni pizza makes my stomach and my wallet happy.

You can make that mac and cheese recipe I told you about, and then some baked chicken for probably $10 and be much better off! lol ok, so maybe a whole chicken pre cut up is almost $10 by itself, but still maybe $15 then.

And now is the time in the thread where I rank popular pizza establishments:
1. Domino's
2. Papa John's
3. Pizza Hut
4. Little Caesars
1000000. Papa Murphy's
I dont know much about good food or drink, but I do know pizza. Pizza Hut shouldn't be on that list...
Dominos is in the right place and Papa John's was awesome. 10 years ago.
:duck:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter