The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I'm going to pick 10k and half. Moatly because I've never done a marathon or 10 miler. I agree that 5ks can be annoying. I always feel like I'm supposed to be sprinting the whole way then I overheat (FL) and feel like crap. I still do them of course, but am using them to learn to pace myself.

QOTD: Lets play a little hypothetical game for todays question. You can only run official races for any combination of two for the following distances: 5k, 10k, 10 Miles, Half Marathon, and Marathon. Which two do you pick and why?
ATTQOTD: Do we have to actually race them - like for time? If so, my answer is none of them. :) But if we can "race" them at whatever pace we feel like, I guess I'd go 10K and full if at WDW. I really enjoy marathon training and the WDW marathon experience, and the WDW 10Ks are just enough time for fun.

ATTQOTD: 10k and 10 miler. Only because I've run close to 10 miles in training runs and know I could do it. I'm back and forth with signing up for a half. I want to, I think I can do it if I train for it, but it scares me. Which is probably why I should just sign up for it for W&D next year.

Hi all, my goal is to run Dopey in 2020 and my plan is to lock in a couple of half marathons throughout the year in 2019. I'd like to train as constructively as possible and perhaps try out the Galloway interval training. I was wondering if anyone has done this interval training and what devices they use for it? I am thinking of getting a GPS running watch and wonder if it will help me with the training? If so, what watch should I get? Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

Hi all, my goal is to run Dopey in 2020 and my plan is to lock in a couple of half marathons throughout the year in 2019. I'd like to train as constructively as possible and perhaps try out the Galloway interval training. I was wondering if anyone has done this interval training and what devices they use for it? I am thinking of getting a GPS running watch and wonder if it will help me with the training? If so, what watch should I get? Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

Jeff Galloway has a GPS/Watches page in his shop so I would assume all the devices sold there have the ability to set intervals but there are a few people here that use his method and can probably confirm.

ETA: Two things, the 230/235 has this feature and a how-to can be found here.

If you go to Garmin's site and look at the watches there is a feature under "Training, Running and Analysis Features" called "Interval training" that is what you most likely need. Select the watches you are interested in, select the compare feature, and look for which watches have that feature.

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: I would select half marathons and marathons. I really enjoy those distances and feel like I've accomplished something when I complete one. The 5k and 10k distances are just too short and speed-based for me.

ATTQOTD: I haven’t done a full yet but I would still probably choose a half and a full. A half is a really easy distance then I can get the challenge doing the full.

Jeff Galloway has a GPS/Watches page in his shop so I would assume all the devices sold there have the ability to set intervals but there are a few people here that use his method and can probably confirm.

ETA: Two things, the 230/235 has this feature and a how-to can be found here.

If you go to Garmin's site and look at the watches there is a feature under "Training, Running and Analysis Features" called "Interval training" that is what you most likely need. Select the watches you are interested in, select the compare feature, and look for which watches have that feature.
That is very helpful, thank you!

ATTQOTD: 10k and 10 miler. Only because I've run close to 10 miles in training runs and know I could do it. I'm back and forth with signing up for a half. I want to, I think I can do it if I train for it, but it scares me. Which is probably why I should just sign up for it for W&D next year.
Yes you should!

Any issues with the watch performance when you get into higher miles?

Not the type you're describing. I've had an occasional hiccup with the iSmoothRun not recognizing a programmed workout and not giving me the prompts, but never anything that caused it to drag and when I've had issues, it was at the beginning of the run.

I do run/walk intervals but don't use a watch. I use the iSmoothRun app on my iPhone and love it! I can program any intervals I want and it syncs with my music library/playlists, I set up alerts for time/distance/time for nutrition, and it records all the data I'm interested in knowing.

@DustyWA @rteetz @tidefan @IamTrike Thanks for replying about the Apple Watch 3. It sounds like it is the Nike Run Club app the issue. Unfortunately, I have everything tracked in NRC. If I switch to the native Workout app, can I transfer info from NRC or vice versa? Does the Workout app track your stats like miles run, average pace/heart rate, shoe mileage, etc?

QOTD: Lets play a little hypothetical game for todays question. You can only run official races for any combination of two for the following distances: 5k, 10k, 10 Miles, Half Marathon, and Marathon. Which two do you pick and why?
ATTQOTD: Since I have yet to do a marathon, I will say Half Marathon and 10K. Both distances work well for me. 6-8 mile runs are my normal run distance when I am not training for a marathon so I am always ready to do a 10K or Half. The half is bit more challenging which I like.

I did 8 miles Saturday in 37 degree rain. One of the neighbors stopped to see if I needed help. We both ended up laughing because the unspoken, internal conversation was both of us agreeing that no sane person would be willingly doing this.

I did 9 in that weather that day and for a change the only other people on the beltline with me were crazy runners. i will say we all had decent gear on to handle it. I thought it was miserable. I am looking forward to tomorrow's run it might be cold but not as bad and finally not wet.

@DustyWA @rteetz @tidefan @IamTrike Thanks for replying about the Apple Watch 3. It sounds like it is the Nike Run Club app the issue. Unfortunately, I have everything tracked in NRC. If I switch to the native Workout app, can I transfer info from NRC or vice versa? Does the Workout app track your stats like miles run, average pace/heart rate, shoe mileage, etc?
I am not sure if you can transfer info. I’m thinking not. It does track stats. I’m not sure on show mileage though.

Would something like RunGap do that?

ATTQOTD: I try to avoid the issue by limiting fluid intake before and during a race, and a preemptive planned stop so I can pick the venue. Even during a PR attempt, I'm going to make 1 stop during a half, and 2 during a full.

I did 8 miles Saturday in 37 degree rain. One of the neighbors stopped to see if I needed help. We both ended up laughing because the unspoken, internal conversation was both of us agreeing that no sane person would be willingly doing this.

I used to think people like me were crazy when I would see them running in the cold before I was a runner. Now I see someone and I think, "good for you".

ATTQOTD: I'm going to go with Half and Marathon distances. My reason is I love the distance! I hate racing a 5k, I think they are one of the most difficult races to run. I like 10k and 10 milers but prefer the other distance. The 10 miler is a tempting choice though because its long enough and short enough all at the same time.

This one is TOUGH! I could make a case for anything 10K and up. I don't like the 5K. Too many walking groups that clog up the course for my taste. I would love to say the full because I want to run WDW and Boston before I stop with the full distance but I honestly think I have to give up that distance. I just don't think my ankles will hold up for fulls anymore. I am currently not running. Both ankles are giving me the middle finger currently. :sad2:

I loved the 10 mile distance when I did it but there aren't as many 10 mile races. (I still hope rD brings back the TOT 10 miler in some capacity once that park is done.) I think I would go with the 10K and 1/2 given all factors involved for me.

If you can do 10 you can do a 1/2 no problem. It's only an additional 5K. The only thing to be afraid of is the overwhelming feeling of pride you will feel when you finish. Commit to it and go get it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter