The Running Thread - 2018

Hi all, my goal is to run Dopey in 2020 and my plan is to lock in a couple of half marathons throughout the year in 2019. I'd like to train as constructively as possible and perhaps try out the Galloway interval training. I was wondering if anyone has done this interval training and what devices they use for it? I am thinking of getting a GPS running watch and wonder if it will help me with the training? If so, what watch should I get? Anyone has any ideas or suggestions?

You cant go wrong with a Garmin.

I do run/walk intervals but don't use a watch. I use the iSmoothRun app on my iPhone and love it! I can program any intervals I want and it syncs with my music library/playlists, I set up alerts for time/distance/time for nutrition, and it records all the data I'm interested in knowing.
Ohhh ... let me look into it. Might save me some $$$!

@DustyWA @rteetz @tidefan @IamTrike Thanks for replying about the Apple Watch 3. It sounds like it is the Nike Run Club app the issue. Unfortunately, I have everything tracked in NRC. If I switch to the native Workout app, can I transfer info from NRC or vice versa? Does the Workout app track your stats like miles run, average pace/heart rate, shoe mileage, etc?

RunGap might be able to transfer the data to another application, but it may not be clean. NRC is a closed system, so they don't provide developers the access to freely transfer the data to other platforms. They have some workaround, but they give you a warning it's unsupported and I'm not entirely certain that is transferred is 100% correct. I only used NRC once, so it really didn't affect me and I don't recall the details.

Can't speak to what the native app tracks right now, because I haven't used it since the latest WatchOS update.

ATTQOTD: I think 5K and Half for now. 5Ks can be fast or you can draw it out and have fun without it taking too much time. Also you can get more non-runner friends and family to do 5Ks with you. I really like the half distance, but I’m waiting to see how the full goes to determine if I’ll sign up for a half or full in March. I do love 10 mile training runs, but I’ve never raced one.

ATTQOTD: My rational self says 10K and half, as they are more 'civilized' races, meaning not dying for opposite reasons as in the 5K and marathon.

My emotional self says Goofy. I've done 4 of them and my first full was during Goofy, and my 'last' full was during Goofy.

Note: 'last' may or may not be the same as 'final'.

ATTQOTD: The default would be 10K and half marathon. I've done several several runDisney challenges and a smattering of half marathons over the past 5 years, but only a few 5Ks that I mostly walked and my first marathon was only a few weeks ago. I've never run a 10 miler and can only think of one off the top of my head that's held in the local area.

Going on what I'd prefer... Half marathon would definitely be one of my choices. It's a good combination of challenging, but generally not destroying my body. I'm torn on the others. I'd like to say marathon, but the time required to train for one (both day-to-day and time between races) make me hesitant to commit to limiting myself to them for the rest of my life! The 5K would probably get an edge over the 10K only because I can occasionally do it with my wife, who is not a runner and whose knees won't allow her to become one even if interested.

I'm be a bit disappointed that the nature of the question means I'd have to give up the Hot Chocolate 15K, which I've done each of the past 4 years. I'm not sure I'd be as motivated to go all the way out to Seattle (about 1.5 hours) for a 5K.

Garmin Question:
I have a Garmin 235. I use it on all my runs. I currently have it set to auto lap each mile. My wife and I are going to do the WDW marathon in a r/w/r fashion, but probably a bit different than most interval plans. Our plan is to run to the first mile marker, then walk for 2:30, then run to the next mile marker, then walk for 2:30... etc. So it's not time/time, or dist/dist.

Without going away from auto lap... Is there a way I can use the watch to count to 2:30 for me each mile so we can know how long to walk? For our training runs, I'm doing it by Garmin's auto lap each mile. That means I look at what the timer reads when we hit (for example) Mile 2 and then I have to do some quick math on what the timer would read 2:30 later and just watch to see when we should run again.

I'd prefer to keep my watch on auto lap and figure out a simple way to start a 2:30 counter whenever I hit the mile marker. I wasn't sure if there might be an app for this that I can download on the Garmin or another simple way. However after typing all this out, maybe I just need to go to manual laps and simply hit the lap button when we get to each mile marker. Then I could set one of my fields to be lap time. Any Garmin Pros care to weight in?

thanks! :confused3

ATYQOTD: Depends on my bladder. Sometimes it screams enough at me after waiting in a corral, that I need to stop at some point. For others, it will mildly bother me early in the race, and than go away (I meditated it away like in the St Farm commercial. :rolleyes:...).

ATTQOTD: Hmmm, I will have to go with the 10 miler/half choices. Of the 66, or so, races I have done, just under 50 of them have fallen in those two distances. Both of them are a nice challenging distance, but don't leave you dead at the end.

ATTQOTD: This is a tough one for me. 100% I would go with a half marathon, but I keep going back and forth between full marathons and 5ks. The majority of my races have been half marathons and 5Ks, but I love the satisfaction of finishing a full marathon. I just can't do those as frequently as a half or 5k.

QOTD: Lets play a little hypothetical game for todays question. You can only run official races for any combination of two for the following distances: 5k, 10k, 10 Miles, Half Marathon, and Marathon. Which two do you pick and why?

I would choose 10 miles and the marathon. I think the 10-mile is a really fun distance because you can do well by not running all out like a 10k with less worry about pacing strategy than a half. The full is on my list because I find it to be much more challenging than the others and thus much more satisfying to finish and finish well.

@DustyWA @rteetz @tidefan @IamTrike Thanks for replying about the Apple Watch 3. It sounds like it is the Nike Run Club app the issue. Unfortunately, I have everything tracked in NRC. If I switch to the native Workout app, can I transfer info from NRC or vice versa? Does the Workout app track your stats like miles run, average pace/heart rate, shoe mileage, etc?

For all kinds of useful information about using an Apple Watch 3 in training, check out the Apple Watch Triathlete.

https://theapplewatchtriathlete.com/

ATTQOTD:
My answer is odd because I have only ever run one race for time (for POT!).
I would keep the 5K. It is an easy distance to do with someone else who may or may not run, or may run/walk, or what not. Also, they tend to have better silly themes- not so many people will dress up for a half marathon outside of disney, but a xmas 5K? Of course people don their gayest apparel!
I would prefer a 10 miler. Now that I have been able to work up to 10 miles, it is a good meditative distance that did not destroy my day.
I am hoping the half is just as great as the 10 mile run!

Garmin Question:
I have a Garmin 235. I use it on all my runs. I currently have it set to auto lap each mile. My wife and I are going to do the WDW marathon in a r/w/r fashion, but probably a bit different than most interval plans. Our plan is to run to the first mile marker, then walk for 2:30, then run to the next mile marker, then walk for 2:30... etc. So it's not time/time, or dist/dist.

Without going away from auto lap... Is there a way I can use the watch to count to 2:30 for me each mile so we can know how long to walk? For our training runs, I'm doing it by Garmin's auto lap each mile. That means I look at what the timer reads when we hit (for example) Mile 2 and then I have to do some quick math on what the timer would read 2:30 later and just watch to see when we should run again.

I'd prefer to keep my watch on auto lap and figure out a simple way to start a 2:30 counter whenever I hit the mile marker. I wasn't sure if there might be an app for this that I can download on the Garmin or another simple way. However after typing all this out, maybe I just need to go to manual laps and simply hit the lap button when we get to each mile marker. Then I could set one of my fields to be lap time. Any Garmin Pros care to weight in?

According to this you can set time, distance, or open intervals.

ATTQOTD: While I haven't ran the Marathon distance yet, I am still gonna go with the Half and the Marathon because there are more of those on my bucket list than 5ks and 10ks.

Half and full.

In order from most favorite to least: half, full, 10 miler/ 15K, 5K...large gap in preference...10K.
The 10K is by far my least favorite. My mind doesn't understand them. I try to run the first half like a 5K, then my body goes, wait?! We are still going! We must be running a half! We must slow down. Until recently my two best 10K times were inside of my best half times. Even with my most recent PR, my half is still better for Disney POT purposes.

ATTOQTD: The question is tough because I have one answer when it's Disney races and a different answer for other races. So, I"m cheating and giving two answers. :D

For Disney - 10K and Full. That's what we are running for the upcoming marathon weekend and I'm excited about it!

For non-Disney - 10k and Half. 10Ks let me push pace some without feeling like I have to kill myself like a 5k. Halfs are my favorite distance. Full stop. Challenging enough that I need to prepare for them. Easier for me to reach my goals than marathons (at least in my experience so far) and don't require me to commit to as much training time.

Garmin Question:

How about setting it up as a workout in Garmin Connect like the following:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.48.25 PM.png

This would do the auto lap (step 1) and would do the 2:30 interval (step 2). The step 2 would be a countdown. It's not quite what you want though because you want to run a mile, then walk 2:30 during mile 2, and then run to the mile 2 marker. Whereas, in this program you would run a mile, then walk 2:30 during mile 2, and then whatever distance you walk in 2:30 would go past mile marker 2. Granted we know that mile markers are not going to be at mile 1.0 on your GPS either. So even in your ideal situation where the auto lap feature is kept on, the mile marker may not be there when it goes off. So do you want to run a mile and then walk 2:30, OR do you want to run to the first mile marker (presumably 1.05 miles) and then walk 2:30?

The other option is similar to manually doing the laps, like you mentioned, like this:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 2.52.27 PM.png

This would allow you to choose when the "mile" occurs. Then the recovery (2:30 walk) happens and counts down for you. Then the run will start at the conclusion of 2:30 and proceed until you hit the lap button again. I would make sure to turn off the "auto lap" feature with this one because if your "mile" goes longer than 1 mile it'll show you a split and may confuse you mid-race.

Either of these work, or should I keep trying to think of a solution?

Half and full.

In order from most favorite to least: half, full, 10 miler/ 15K, 5K...large gap in preference...10K.
The 10K is by far my least favorite. My mind doesn't understand them. I try to run the first half like a 5K, then my body goes, wait?! We are still going! We must be running a half! We must slow down. Until recently my two best 10K times were inside of my best half times. Even with my most recent PR, my half is still better for Disney POT purposes.

Are we the same person? LOL. I despise 10Ks!

The other option is similar to manually doing the laps, like you mentioned, like this:

View attachment 369646

This would allow you to choose when the "mile" occurs. Then the recovery (2:30 walk) happens and counts down for you. Then the run will start at the conclusion of 2:30 and proceed until you hit the lap button again. I would make sure to turn off the "auto lap" feature with this one because if your "mile" goes longer than 1 mile it'll show you a split and may confuse you mid-race.

Either of these work, or should I keep trying to think of a solution?

This is the option I was just thinking of. I don't think the Garmin is smart enough to autolap each mile, and include a 2:30 walk interval during that mile.

You get it for 3 reasons I can think of.

1. You can never have enough magic bands!
2. The AP one comes with the little orange thingy to put on any band you have.
3. Who doesn't love getting stuff in the mail from WDW!!!!

Any magic band that is linked to you will know you have a AP.
Yes, always exciting to get stuff from WDW.

If you get an AP, don’t order your AP band right away - the new ones are being shipped out without the sliders and have notes that they won’t be available until March.
Likely a reason to skip the AP band then since this trip will be my final one with the current AP. Perhaps in the future, I'll hold a WDW AP again, but I just don't know.

Reasons to get multiple MB’s is pretty much to get another color and/or to have a back up. They do supposedly have a shelf life so as I have cycled thru colors, I deactivate the old ones and return them to the front desk to be recycled.
I do like the backup idea. My current primary MB is a LE The Last Jedi band. I had planned on using it for this trip, but maybe I'll "retire" it and just get a new fun one.

Nope. Unless your other MB is quite old*, in which case there's a chance its battery may not work well enough to get on-ride pics. Otherwise the AP band is just another MB, that may or may not come with a little plastic thingy that labels you as an AP, but will not take the place of your AP card for discounts.
Good to know on older MBs. My current MB is just over a year old, so it should be fine for this trip, but it may not work for the next trip in 20??.

QOTD: Lets play a little hypothetical game for todays question. You can only run official races for any combination of two for the following distances: 5k, 10k, 10 Miles, Half Marathon, and Marathon. Which two do you pick and why?
10K and Half for now. I would have to really love the marathon distance for that to change.

ATTQOTD: I’ll go with 10K and 1/2. I haven’t run a full yet and 5K are over way too fast.
Same here. I feel like the 10K is long enough to challenge me, but not so long as to alter the rest of my day both timewise and physically. I do enjoy the added the challenge of a half.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter