The Running Thread - 2018

ATTQOTD: I would have to go with the half marathon and full marathon. I enjoy distance, and fast would not be a good discriptor for me! The 5k is simply miserable for me and the 10k always feels like I am just settling into a grove and it is done. Mush be the Goofy in me!

ATTQOTD: 10k and half
  • I have not run a Marathon yet so I do not know that I will enjoy the distance.
  • I will probably be able to manage those distances 20 years from now.
  • My DD and DH can run a 10k if they train for it. So no need for 5k.
  • Many challenges at Disney and RnR are composed that way.

Last edited:
(*The official-ish line is 2 years, but I've got one that's from the beginning of MB time and it's still functional, so who knows?)

My MB from October 2013 worked for my hotel room door in July. I didnt try it for park admission because it just didnt match any of the outfits I was wearing (and also because I just ended up wearing the same MB every day because moving the AP slider from band to band was too much effort). But I'm planning to bring alllll my MBs with me.

ATTQOTD: I'd say 5k and 10k, since I'm planning to retire from distance soon. But if I decide not to retire from distance (I'll make that decision in November 2019), I'd say 10k and half ... 10k as a "normal" race and half as an event.

Also, hi everyone! I've been super lurk-y recently, but I promise, I'm still here-ish!

ATTQOTD:
I'd choose 10 mile and half marathon distances.

Mostly because I'm not a fan of races that it takes longer for me to drive to than to run, and they're both great distances for race-cations since they're long enough to get a feel for the area, but not so long that I can't go out/am too sore to explore afterwards.

Garmin Question:
I have a Garmin 235. I use it on all my runs. I currently have it set to auto lap each mile. My wife and I are going to do the WDW marathon in a r/w/r fashion, but probably a bit different than most interval plans. Our plan is to run to the first mile marker, then walk for 2:30, then run to the next mile marker, then walk for 2:30... etc. So it's not time/time, or dist/dist.

Without going away from auto lap... Is there a way I can use the watch to count to 2:30 for me each mile so we can know how long to walk? For our training runs, I'm doing it by Garmin's auto lap each mile. That means I look at what the timer reads when we hit (for example) Mile 2 and then I have to do some quick math on what the timer would read 2:30 later and just watch to see when we should run again.

I'd prefer to keep my watch on auto lap and figure out a simple way to start a 2:30 counter whenever I hit the mile marker. I wasn't sure if there might be an app for this that I can download on the Garmin or another simple way. However after typing all this out, maybe I just need to go to manual laps and simply hit the lap button when we get to each mile marker. Then I could set one of my fields to be lap time. Any Garmin Pros care to weight in?

thanks! :confused3
As I've mentioned, I've been using a similar strategy for a few years. I run with a Garmin 230 and do not believe you can program intervals that combine distance and time.

I used to take my walk break every time my watch said I passed a mile marker (which rarely coincides with a race mile marker). But, I found that to be too confusing. Now, I take a walk break when I physically pass the race mile markers. I just do quick math in my head so I know what time to begin running again.

I am not very rigid with the length of my walk breaks. Sometimes I start running a little early, some times I may be a few seconds late. All of my pacing based on feel.

ATTQOTD: 5k and Half. 5k because like others said, I can do it with my non-running family. Half because its long enough to really feel a sense of accomplishment in finishing, even if you aren't the fastest, but short enough that I don't have to spend months training if I don't want to. Also the training for those two types of races are complimentary for my eventual goal of being a BQ. There I said it. :scared:

I know that it is too early to talk about 2019 races but... Today is RnR specials and I registered for my first full marathon. I decided against my first being Dopey 2020 just so I can have a real feel for the distance without wondering if my judgement is clouded by exhaustion.

ATTQOTD: My preference would be to pick the 10k for a good combo of speed/fun, and the Half for pushing myself but not regretting it later.

But if you gave me a list of weekend races (WDW, Flying Pig, etc) and told me to only pick two distances, I always seem to pick the more difficult challenge (half+Full).

Either of these work, or should I keep trying to think of a solution?

This is the option I was just thinking of. I don't think the Garmin is smart enough to autolap each mile, and include a 2:30 walk interval during that mile.

As I've mentioned, I've been using a similar strategy for a few years. I run with a Garmin 230 and do not believe you can program intervals that combine distance and time.

I used to take my walk break every time my watch said I passed a mile marker (which rarely coincides with a race mile marker). But, I found that to be too confusing. Now, I take a walk break when I physically pass the race mile markers. I just do quick math in my head so I know what time to begin running again.

Thanks for the input. Here's what I did last night when we ran together as a test. For starters, I turned off auto lap. Then when it was time to take a walk break, I just manual lapped. I also changed one of my data fields to "lap time". Therefore it was pretty simple for me to look down and see when our 2:30 had expired and it was time to run again. Given that we are going to do this at each mile marker in Disney, I think this will work. I've never wanted to manually lap a race in the past because I didn't want to be thinking about mile markers. However, since our whole pacing strategy is based on the physical mile markers this should work fairly easily. Seems simple enough and I get to avoid clock math.

ATYQOTD: I haven't run a full yet, so I am not sure I can pick that distance yet... I'd currently pick 10 milers and the half. I really loved 10 miles- long enough to not have to worry about running "fast," but short enough you can still feel really good after. I despise 10K's, definitely my least favorite distance!

QOTD: Staying in the theoretical world of questions today. What is a bucket list type trip you would like to take? Catch here is the trip has to involve some sort of physical activity. That could be hiking, running, golfing, skiing, ect.

ATTQOTD: This may seem like a halfway type of goal thing, but I would like to hike to base camp 1 of Mt. Everest. Being from a place with zero mountains I think it would be foolish to attempt a summit. Now if I win the lotto and own a mountain home to train, then summit it is.

QOTD: Staying in the theoretical world of questions today. What is a bucket list type trip you would like to take? Catch here is the trip has to involve some sort of physical activity. That could be hiking, running, golfing, skiing, ect.
Hawaii and run a Hawaiian race.

Golfing at some of the scenic courses around the country like Pebble Beach would be fun too though.

ATTQOTD: Kenya. I've longed to visit Kenya for most of my life. And of course I'd want to run while I'm there! Also, Vietnam & Cambodia, and run the Angkor Wat half.

ATTQOTD: This may seem like a halfway type of goal thing, but I would like to hike to base camp 1 of Mt. Everest. Being from a place with zero mountains I think it would be foolish to attempt a summit. Now if I win the lotto and own a mountain home to train, then summit it is.
You are not alone! I've long thought I'd like to be a helper at Base Camp. And then I got altitude sickness in NC, at only 5,000'. I don't think the Himalayas are going to happen, lol!

ATYQOTD: 10K and half. I have run a 10 miler and a 15K and they were fine, but there are more options in the half. The 10K is my favorite distance because I am not fast and it takes me a while to feel warmed up. When I'm in distance training, I don't start to feel good until I hit about 2 miles and then usually feel pretty good until 6 or 7, so a 10K is really my sweet spot.

Attqotd:

My husband wants to do the National Geographic Everest Tour. We’re making plans for him to do it in 2021/2022 most likely. It is the hike to the first base camp. I won’t allow him to go higher than that.

For me, go back to the Amalfi Coast and hike the Walk of the Gods since I didn’t get to in 2017 due to our luggage issue. We’re discussing China for 2020 or 2021 and we’ll hike the Great Wall there.

Living in and training in mountains isn’t a great predictor of summit success. It certainly helps with condition as far as uphill/downhill travel and mountain craft, but altitude sickness/HACE/HAPE, are all things that could happen to you at far lower altitudes than base camp on Everest, or not. It’s a crap shoot. That being said, bucket list trips...
Splitboard touring in Mongolia, Turkey, Iran, Azerbaijan, Morocco. But especially snowboard mountaineering Pico de Orizaba in Mexico.

ATTQOTD: I love to hike. My list is as follows:
1. Badlands
2. Climbing/hiking at Diamond Head in Honolulu
3. Hiking various trails at Valley of Fire State Park.
4. I'd add a skiing vacation anywhere in the west with powder snow. I learned to ski back in college and I loved it. Around my area though most of the skiing is packed snow/ice. I only got to ski in powder once and it was amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter