The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD: Short: 1-6 miles; Medium: 7-13; Long: 14+

I did the Color Run 5k in Dallas on Saturday. This was the first official timed 5k I've run since I've started doing DopeyBadger's plan. I've done a lot more interval training since I started a couple of weeks ago and while I found it tough initially to stick to 30:30 intervals (it always seemed like I'd barely started running when it was time to walk and vice versa), I figured trust the process and it's gotten better. I've never been fast and this last December was the first time I've ever done a 5k in less than 40 minutes and my best average time was 12:54. This Saturday, I finished at 12:12, so I think the combination of the intervals and running more frequently is definitely helping. I have the Rangers 5k in a few weeks and I'm hoping to get below 12.

QOTD: A simple question I have been thinking about lately, what distance do you consider a short run, medium run, or long run? There is no wrong answer for this question, it's purely based on your experience of running. (Thanks for the suggestion again folks!)

Short: 1-5 miles
Medium: 6-10 miles
Long: 11 miles and up

QOTD: A simple question I have been thinking about lately, what distance do you consider a short run, medium run, or long run? There is no wrong answer for this question, it's purely based on your experience of running. (Thanks for the suggestion again folks!)
A short run I think is 4 miles or less. 5-9 is a medium run and anything above that would be a long run.

I ran the Shamrock Shuffle 8k in Chicago this weekend. My "goal" was under 46 to attempt a PR but I knew that was a big stretch goal since I didn't start training specifically for it until about 8 weeks prior. I had a few mental hiccups where I thought I was going slower than I really was and walked at one water station and on one hill when I really didn't need to. Came in at 48:17 which I'm actually happy with. I know I could have shaved more off, but don't think I was quite at PR ready either way. I'm in a good place partway through my half training and need to remember not to be hard on myself during the middle of a race! We luckily got zero wind and zero rain so conditions were very ideal and that always makes for a fun atmosphere.
I'm going to focus on a lot more outdoor miles now (I only ran outside 3 times these last two months....and I'm getting really sick of the treadmill.) I tend to always perform better post lots of outdoor miles and I just enjoy them a zillion times more. I also need to focus on my diet now too! The post race taco bell was well earned though :)

ATTQOTD: Short run = 1 - 7 miles
Medium run = 7-13 miles
Long run = 13+ miles

ATTQOTD: I tend to think more in hours and not miles because it's usually me telling my husband how long I'll not be home for. And depending on how fast or slow I'm going it's a sliding scale with miles.
Short = less than an hour
Medium = more than hour, less than 90 min
Long = anything that says long run on my training schedule. But also anything 90 min or over.
I definitely think my definition changes depending on what I'm training for. So perception changes like during marathon training where all of a sudden 10 miles seemed short.

ATTQOTD: I don't really think in terms of "short" runs, but as "mid-week" runs. My mid-week runs are shorter than my weekend "long" runs, so I guess that makes them "short" runs. But the distances vary, depending on the time of year and if I'm training for a specific distance. Right now, that's 4 miles mid-week and 6-12 on weekends. They'll all drop down in the summer off-season, though.

Short runs can be done on my lunch hour, so less than 50 minutes
Medium runs require me to block out a little of my time so no one schedules a meeting giving me somewhere around 1.5 hours
long runs are anything that requires me to significantly adjust my work or negotiate with DH that I will be out of the house. By this definition, there can be overlap between medium and long runs.
ETA: Also, if it is going to be long enough I cannot get myself out of bed to do it before work it is a long run. This scales with daylight hours available.

@TheHamm - sorry your race didn't go the way you wanted. I was just reading an article about not using pacers and it was the same thing you mentioned - they may start out too fast, which is fine for them since their PR is much faster than their pace, but disaster if you're trying to get to your PR. I was thinking about using a pacer for my next race, but reconsidering now. If I see them at the expo or starting line, I'll probably ask them their strategy and which aid stations they'll stop at.

Overall, the pacer was not my downfall- being in my own thoughts which were only semi-running related sent me into a crying fit that made it impossible to run for long enough that I would have had to push to get a time I really wanted. And then I saw a young man really struggling and I decided I would rather jog him in (He did not think he would make it) than go all out and find I was 11 seconds too short. I have zero regrets for talking him in the last mile and I know that if I find a flat course not near the local hospital I will have a pretty nice new PR.

The local track club paces several races and I have had good luck with other pacers when I was not going for time, but just trying to keep up- the pacer for the 4th of july race was exceedingly helpful as I was tired, and it was very hot and humid before the race started. I ran this race last year and had luck as that pacer was running even and walking all the water stops (there are a lot on this course!) and that worked for me. I think in this case, talking to the pacer and knowing she was going out faster than average, not slower on hills, and not stopping early would have been helpful and would have resulted in me following the 26.2 pacer for a slightly different pace while the courses were parallel. However, I realized early on my effort was too great for the pace I wanted, even without looking at my watch. I was glad to be able to see it was not going to work out and adjust my plan, and I am glad I had the sense to go my own way. None the less, I will probably start off my June half with a pacer if we mesh better, mostly because I have found it useful for the first mile or two until I get settled into a pace of my own. Good luck!

Last edited:
ATTQOTD:
Short - 60 min or less
Medium - 60 to 90 min
Long - 90 min or more

giphy.gif

ATTQOTD:
Short run = 4-6 miles (30-50 mins) Usually fits during lunchtime
Med run = 6-9 miles (50-80 mins) Usually when there's more time: weekend/after work
Long run = 9+ miles (80+ mins) Almost always on the weekend and done at "long run easy pace"

Overall, the pacer was not my downfall- being in my own thoughts which were only semi-running related sent me into a crying fit that made it impossible to run for long enough that I would have had to push to get a time I really wanted. And then I saw a young man really struggling and I decided I would rather jog him in (He did not think he would make it) than go all out and find I was 11 seconds too short. I have zero regrets for talking him in the last mile and I know that if I find a flat course not near the local hospital I will have a pretty nice new PR.

The local track club paces several races and I have had good luck with other pacers when I was not going for time, but just trying to keep up- the pacer for the 4th of july race was exceedingly helpful as I was tired, and it was very hot and humid before the race started. I ran this race last year and had luck as that pacer was running even and walking all the water stops (there are a lot on this course!) and that worked for me. I think in this case, talking to the pacer and knowing she was going out faster than average, not slower on hills, and not stopping early would have been helpful and would have resulted in me following the 26.2 pacer for a slightly different pace while the courses were parallel. However, I realized early on my effort was too great for the pace I wanted, even without looking at my watch. I was glad to be able to see it was not going to work out and adjust my plan, and I am glad I had the sense to go my own way. None the less, I will probably start off my June half with a pacer if we mesh better, mostly because I have found it useful for the first mile or two until I get settled into a pace of my own. Good luck!

Great job on the race with everything that was going on and I'm sure he really appreciated your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter