The Running Thread - 2020

Does anyone run with both a Garmin and an Apple Watch? Since my run in with a dog a little over a year ago, I always run with my iPhone for safety. After a couple of annoying phone related near wardrobe mishaps during races, I’d like to find a way to leave the phone behind while maintaining my communications safety net. The Apple Watch with cellular seems to fit the bill, but I’m having a hard time making the commitment.

First off, there’s no way I’m giving up my Garmin. The tracking and training metrics are far superior to the Apple Watch. If you have both, do you wear both? Same arm or different? I’m tempted to wear the Garmin and stick the AW down in a pocket.

Second, how reliable is the texting and cellular service on the AW? After having to walk 1.5 miles home bleeding from a dog bite because I couldn’t call my wife to pick me up, its primary function will be as a safety net. Thanks!

ATTQOTD: Coffee.. I use a K-Cup in the mornings I have to commute to the office for the convenience of it; not great, but it gets the job done. All other times we use freshly ground beans using the pour over method in the V60. It takes longer to brew, but worth it. My dad is a total coffee nerd, and I like to make a big pot of pour over coffee in his Chemex when we’re all together. He’s always introducing me to new roasts, so that’s fun. We tend to buy beans from local roasters, but there’s a few national brands that are good- I’ve been enjoying Counter Culture recently. This is really random, but the Espresso beans from IKEA are surprisingly good. The Allegro brand at Whole Foods is pretty good too. I love trying local coffee shops when we travel and buy a bag of beans! Joffrey’s beans are actually kind of good too, and it’s fun to get bags shipped to us that are tied to a restaurant or resort.

ATTQOTD: I love coffee. I drink it every morning. I like it very strong and black. We have a Bunn that you can use K-cups or ground coffee.

But Joffrey in my hotel room at 2:30AM is pushing it.

Totally agree! That didn't even taste like coffee, more like hot water. The second morning I put two of those pod things in...that was only slightly better. :crazy2:

Last edited:
I am no longer a coffee snob and can handle some regular filter coffee... But Joffrey in my hotel room at 2:30AM is pushing it

"Swill" would be a polite way to describe it. Even more annoying is the form factor--those stupid Cuisinart "pucks". At least with K-cups, you can get a reusable basket and use your own coffee. Have yet to figure out anything for those machines. Keep forgetting to see if any WDW resorts have other/better coffee machines.

Does anyone run with both a Garmin and an Apple Watch? Since my run in with a dog a little over a year ago, I always run with my iPhone for safety. After a couple of annoying phone related near wardrobe mishaps during races, I’d like to find a way to leave the phone behind while maintaining my communications safety net. The Apple Watch with cellular seems to fit the bill, but I’m having a hard time making the commitment.

First off, there’s no way I’m giving up my Garmin. The tracking and training metrics are far superior to the Apple Watch. If you have both, do you wear both? Same arm or different? I’m tempted to wear the Garmin and stick the AW down in a pocket.

Second, how reliable is the texting and cellular service on the AW? After having to walk 1.5 miles home bleeding from a dog bite because I couldn’t call my wife to pick me up, its primary function will be as a safety net. Thanks!

I can’t help with both, but I can tell you I only have my Apple Watch when I run. At Disney I also have a magic band which I wear on the other wrist so similar to wearing two watches I guess. As far as service goes my watch is as good as my phone for taliking (using AirPods) and texting works but is not so simple. You can have pre made texts ready to hit send which is easy but if not you need to ‘draw’ each letter on the watch as opposed to having a keyboard. The HR monitor is accurate for me as I have compared it to a chest strap and it is the same. The instantaneous pace and other metrics are way better on Garmin but Apple is good enough for me because it does everything in one small package. Phone, music, metrics, even intervals if I want. It will however die after 5 hours with everything running like that. For marathon morning I turned cellular off until after the race just to be sure it would last.

I very seldom drink coffee when I do its mainly starbucks and during Christmas time. I don't know what it is but I love the Christmas drinks from Starbucks.

Peppermint Mochas from Starbucks was what started me on the road to becoming a coffee drinker. (After Christmas 2018 when they stopped doing peppermint mochas, I switched to mochas... then lattes... then cappuccinos...)

QOTD:
Lately have been doing drip, decent brands, with the occasional Dunkin’ or Starbucks run. I have a Ninja that I like a lot. Also have one of the Nespresso Vertuo machines for when I’m the only one who wants some. I kinda want to become a French press person.

Missed a few days - work trip to Houston. But got to check Texas off my list of states I’ve run in!

QOTD: I’ve eyed the midnight sun race in Tromso, Norway!! DL Paris is on my list too.

coffee - we just do a regular drip coffee pot, but we do order coffee beans from a local RI place called New Harvest Coffee Roasters.

ATTQOTD: I'm embarrassed by how much coffee I drink daily and I know it probably isn't good for me. Dunkin whole beans ground fresh every morning. I may or may not drink a whole put of black coffee on my own each morning. I have purposely avoided k-cups as I figure I would fill a land fill on my own within 6 months with how much I consume.

ATTQOTD: I'm embarrassed by how much coffee I drink daily and I know it probably isn't good for me. Dunkin whole beans ground fresh every morning. I may or may not drink a whole put of black coffee on my own each morning. I have purposely avoided k-cups as I figure I would fill a land fill on my own within 6 months with how much I consume.

No such thing as too much coffee.

Both my husband and I run with both the Apple Watch and Garmin. We always wear the Apple watch and I have used the cellular feature without and issues. Also for texting the voice to text works fairly well on the Apple Watch. The Garmin goes on the other wrist for all runs. For Disney races, we also have a magic band on too.

I need advice.

I'm scheduled to go run the Princess half with my daughter. Wife is staying home with younger son.

The weekends before and after Princess, the local racing group has a couple nice flat 5k/10k/half races with a combo medal. My wife would like to do these, and since she doesn't like driving on freeways, I'll be going to each.

Clearly, the race after the half marathon, I do the 5k and probably plan to go slow. This is what I did for a different 5k last year, the week after Star Wars Half.

The question is, what do I do the week before the half? I'm thinking I should treat it like a supported training run. The question is, do I do the 5k or 10k? I'd probably be doing about a 5-7 mile training run, so the 10k would be in the right range, but I'm not sure I can keep myself from trying to 'race' it instead of just treating it as training.

What would you do?

I need advice.

I'm scheduled to go run the Princess half with my daughter. Wife is staying home with younger son.

The weekends before and after Princess, the local racing group has a couple nice flat 5k/10k/half races with a combo medal. My wife would like to do these, and since she doesn't like driving on freeways, I'll be going to each.

Clearly, the race after the half marathon, I do the 5k and probably plan to go slow. This is what I did for a different 5k last year, the week after Star Wars Half.

The question is, what do I do the week before the half? I'm thinking I should treat it like a supported training run. The question is, do I do the 5k or 10k? I'd probably be doing about a 5-7 mile training run, so the 10k would be in the right range, but I'm not sure I can keep myself from trying to 'race' it instead of just treating it as training.

What would you do?

I did a 10K the week before a goal race half last year, and it worked out okay. The fact that I had a goal for that 10K helped a lot (my goal was to run at my continuous easy pace for the whole race, and I actually hit the pace pretty much exactly), as did the rain, but I found that reminding myself that this was an easy training run helped.
That said ... everyone is different, and you need to trust yourself and be 100% sure that you can treat it as a training run.

ATTQOTD:
I just bought this mug. I used to love French press, but with 2 young kids, it’s just not happening and I just use a drip coffee maker that I can put on a timer. I have a nespresso that I love, but hardly use now. Cold brew is very smooth. If you want super strong coffee, I’d recommend Vietnamese coffee.
tr-37067-LEFT.jpg

What would you do?

I'd run the 10k and try to treat it as a training run like @SarahDisney suggested. Even if you end up going too fast, I don't see that as a problem because I assume you'll be running a bit slower when you run Princess with your daughter.

I have been running with both the Apple Watch and garmin for the last several months. Since I always wear my Apple Watch it stays on the left wrist and use the garmin on the right wrist. I have gotten used to it there when I run. During the Disney runs, I put my magic band on my left wrist also. For the Dopey I just did, I also had runners square and had that band on my right wrist so I was all loaded up and it was fine for running.

The cellular in the Apple Watch is pretty good actually. My only complaint is the speaker volume but the new one is better for that than the older ones. Texting works good also and I can dictate the messages while running. I will say I usually text more than talk on the phone so around Disney I am not sure how good the calling is but with AT&T the signals are pretty good around Disney but lots of people using it. For around your house though, should be as good as your regular phone.

What would you do?

Either a 5k or 10k would be fine. And racing or training it would likely be fine too even a week prior to the HM. A simple race recovery calculation is 1 day easy/off for every 3k of racing. So if you raced a 10k, then you'd be looking at 3 days easy/off of recovery. So by the time the HM came up, you'd probably be recovered from a raced 10k. A middle ground is to consider something like a fast finish 10k. Do the first 3 miles at a very easy pace, and then the last 3.22 miles at 10k pace.

ATTQOTD: I love coffee. I drink it every morning. I like it very strong and black. We have a Bunn that you can use K-cups or ground coffee.

Totally agree! That didn't even taste like coffee, more like hot water. The second morning I put two of those pod things in...that was only slightly better. :crazy2:
I knew from my 2017 runDisney experience that it would be the case but I still tried the first morning. Then I used similar pods that I had gathered from other hotels (Hawaii, California) that were slightly better. I had also brought some flavoured creamer to mask the taste. I think that I just killed my taste buds and survived Dopey that way. And for the Monday night, knowing we would be at Coronado Spring, I brought my own K-cup!

When choosing between two equivalent hotels, the last criteria used is... What type of coffee machine? And we have looked at travel size machines but the Nespresso is not dual Voltage 😕

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter