The Running Thread - 2020

I did a 10K the week before a goal race half last year, and it worked out okay. The fact that I had a goal for that 10K helped a lot (my goal was to run at my continuous easy pace for the whole race, and I actually hit the pace pretty much exactly), as did the rain, but I found that reminding myself that this was an easy training run helped.
That said ... everyone is different, and you need to trust yourself and be 100% sure that you can treat it as a training run.
I'd run the 10k and try to treat it as a training run like @SarahDisney suggested. Even if you end up going too fast, I don't see that as a problem because I assume you'll be running a bit slower when you run Princess with your daughter.
Either a 5k or 10k would be fine. And racing or training it would likely be fine too even a week prior to the HM. A simple race recovery calculation is 1 day easy/off for every 3k of racing. So if you raced a 10k, then you'd be looking at 3 days easy/off of recovery. So by the time the HM came up, you'd probably be recovered from a raced 10k. A middle ground is to consider something like a fast finish 10k. Do the first 3 miles at a very easy pace, and then the last 3.22 miles at 10k pace.

Thanks, all - 10k sounds promising, then. I'll talk to my wife about registration.

Weird question about a race cancellation. My husband and I were signed up for a local 5k this morning. The race ended up cancelled (after we waited in the cold for 50 minutes) due to flooding on the course. I get that they can’t control that, and we made the best of it by doing our own scenic 5k.

The registration was $25 each, so not expensive but not insignificant either. They’re not offering refunds but giving free entry to another one of their races. The catch is that it has to be used by April. That’s only 2 months and the location of their races is not super convenient for me.

I’m thinking of asking if I can have 6 months instead. Does that sound reasonable or would you just let it go.

I’m thinking of asking if I can have 6 months instead. Does that sound reasonable or would you just let it go.

my philosophy is as long as you ask nicely it never hurts to ask. The worst thing that can happen is they’ll say no.
I also think asking for 6 months is very reasonable.

Weird question about a race cancellation. My husband and I were signed up for a local 5k this morning. The race ended up cancelled (after we waited in the cold for 50 minutes) due to flooding on the course. I get that they can’t control that, and we made the best of it by doing our own scenic 5k.

The registration was $25 each, so not expensive but not insignificant either. They’re not offering refunds but giving free entry to another one of their races. The catch is that it has to be used by April. That’s only 2 months and the location of their races is not super convenient for me.

It doesn't hurt to ask. I would suggest taking a look at their race calendar and try to find the first race you know you can do and then specifically ask if you can use the credit for that race. Providing the exact race you want to use it for helps them plan and makes it harder to say no.

Glad to hear that there are so many other non-coffee drinkers, I always get funny looks when I decline coffee because I don't like it...

As for destination races, I'll go just about anywhere. Not that picky if I can travel.

Currently super jazzed because the Baltimore 10 miler released their medal design this year, and I kinda love it.

my philosophy is as long as you ask nicely it never hurts to ask. The worst thing that can happen is they’ll say no.
I also think asking for 6 months is very reasonable.

That makes sense! And I will definitely be polite when I ask :)

It doesn't hurt to ask. I would suggest taking a look at their race calendar and try to find the first race you know you can do and then specifically ask if you can use the credit for that race. Providing the exact race you want to use it for helps them plan and makes it harder to say no.

Good idea about proposing a specific race.

QOTD: What is a destination race of any distance that you would like to go to?

ATTQOTD: This is kinda cheating but it's a tie currently. I would like to run Big Sur or the MCM marathon. Both are cool races with cool things to do in the area.

I'm doing Berlin in September! DH and I got in through sheer crazy luck through the lottery. That's been my destination of choice number one!!

MCM course is terrible though. I live in the area and train on segments of it. It's HARD. Definitely a must do, but know the pain you're inflicting upon yourself lol

Last edited:
ATTQOTD: Assuming my race is Sunday, I'm usually doing something on Tuesday. I used to do my first run then, but the last few races it's been barre classes starting on Tuesday and then my first run a day or two later.
Yeah, I know. But I don't race hard anyway, and when I did take more time off, I just got frustrated.

I'm usually back at it within 3-4 days, even after a marathon.

After Disney, I felt fine by Wednesday. However, I made myself take two full weeks off. I did a November marathon plus Disney, and I was just worn out from training and suffering from PF in my left foot. I can still feel it sometimes if I bend my foot the wrong way. I was hoping the two weeks off would cure it completely, but that doesn't seem to have been the case.

ATTQOTD: the wisdom I've heard is take the number of days for how long you ran (26 days of recovery for a marathon, 13 for a half). This can include running, but easy, not "training". Depends on your fitness and injury-proneness, too. runDisney specific, but I've found that two packed park days post-race are great to push out all the lactic acid :)

ATTQOTD: after my last big race (Wine and Dine 5k/10k/half last year) I got back into running after about 1.5 - which was the time I spent at WDW after the races! I did struggle massively getting back into training though, as jet lag hit me pretty hard when I got home (13 hour time difference, or 11 hour time difference, depending on which way you look at it).

Prior to that my previous long race (over 10 miles) was at the end of September last year, and I was back running after 2 days. This was also because I was training for Wine and Dine so didn't want to take too much time off.

If we go back even further to my previous previous long race though (half marathon in 2017 that I wasn't trained for)... I ran/walked that at the start of December 2017. I then ran a 1.5 mile run in mid-December 2017. My next run after that was March 2018... So I effectively took 3+ months off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!