The Running Thread - 2020

I’ve been taking the last couple of weeks off from running, was feeling both physically & mentally exhausted, so have been mostly just lurking here. But answering most of the recent QOTD:

Racing - I’m not sure when I’ll feel better about taking part in a race. I don’t feel that way at the moment. If fall races do occur, I hope I feel fine with running in them by than.

Headphones - Put me on theaftershokz group as well. I have trekz air.

Vacation - My work lets us carry over 240 hours. The other day an e-mail was sent out saying that policy was still in pace and we wouldn’t be able to carry over more time. So I’ve started looking at some random days to take off.

I have a 25+ year old ProForm 385EX treadmill. The fanciest thing it features is a motor. I think we paid around $300 for it. It's been moved 3 times, every time involving up and down flights of stairs. I can't even begin to guess how many miles are on it. I've literally NEVER done any maintenance on it other than dusting the little digital window so I can see the numbers... still running lol!

I have a Lupine Piko with a heavy duty head band that I have used for several years. I have worn it for up to 10 hours on a trail and the batteries last about 6 hours on the medium light level. The battery can be swapped out in about 30 seconds in the dark. Stopped me falling so much during overnight runs.

I'll check the manual when mine comes but I have this site bookmarked as a good example of the type of maintenance to do:

Thanks! That article is quite informative.

I am no expert, which is evidenced by my broken treadmill currently residing in my basement. And for those DIY folks this all may be real simple. So please take all this with a grain of salt. As I am anything but a DIY person, even though I aspire to be one!

My issues and what I learned:
1) Stay on a regular maintenance plan for keeping your belt and deck lubricated.

2) Watch the alignment and consistency of the belt. Is it tracking correctly? Does it catch at all?

3) Keep it clean, including taking off motor cover to clean dust and dirt from the motor.
Keep all the nuts and bolts tight.

4) Most important if it has a warranty or service plan get it, that will be money well spent.

My mistake was in over tightening the belt after lubricating it. When It did not run right I thought it needed more lubrication. Then it slipped some and started running off alignment. I kept monkeying with it and eventually messed up the motor. It was my fault, warranty was up and the service tech was no longer covered. Cost to fix was just too much.

So am outdoors now and the treadmill is currently used to hang work out clothes and stack some boxes on.

Thanks! This is helpful.

I have a 25+ year old ProForm 385EX treadmill. The fanciest thing it features is a motor. I think we paid around $300 for it. It's been moved 3 times, every time involving up and down flights of stairs. I can't even begin to guess how many miles are on it. I've literally NEVER done any maintenance on it other than dusting the little digital window so I can see the numbers... still running lol!

We would love to find a used one in good condition. Haven’t had much luck with that though. The way you care for yours is how I imagined we’d be caring for ours 😆. Maintenance wasn’t a thought until someone mentioned it on here🤦‍♀️

Just checking in to say after a bit over 3 years of running I hit the 1,000 mile mark today! I also wanted to ask what are your favorite recovery sandals/flip flops? My dog just shredded my old ones today. 🐕

Hoka Ora slides. You’re likely to get inundated with “Oofos” responses. Try them before you buy them, if you decide to go that route and can. They are a love them or hate them proposition. They make my arches feel like they’re on seesaws.

Just checking in to say after a bit over 3 years of running I hit the 1,000 mile mark today! I also wanted to ask what are your favorite recovery sandals/flip flops? My dog just shredded my old ones today. 🐕
Hoka Ora slides. You’re likely to get inundated with “Oofos” responses. Try them before you buy them, if you decide to go that route and can. They are a love them or hate them proposition. They make my arches feel like they’re on seesaws.
Ha! Yep, I’m one of the ones that loves my Oofos! I don’t know how many pair I have. Almost one of every color. 🤣

Congrats! LOL, I own a pair of Oofos and feel like I could twist and break my ankle at any moment while walking in them, but that could be user error. A lot of people swear by them though. I have no other recommendations because I normally wear another pair of tennis shoes (normally New Balance) when walking around after a race (or around the parks if in Disney). :confused3

I’m having to move around my running shoes to create a pair for walking so I tried the Hoka today. I’m not a fan of the slide but they were comfy!

Ha! Yep, I’m one of the ones that loves my Oofos! I don’t know how many pair I have. Almost one of every color. 🤣

Ended up with these AND a new pair of Mizunos. I have plantar fasciitis so these felt heavenly immediately. DH also got a pair even though his didn’t get gnawed on. We both love them and so far no blisters on the toes. ( A problem I have with flip flops.) Thanks for the suggestion.

Congrats! LOL, I own a pair of Oofos and feel like I could twist and break my ankle at any moment while walking in them, but that could be user error. A lot of people swear by them though. I have no other recommendations because I normally wear another pair of tennis shoes (normally New Balance) when walking around after a race (or around the parks if in Disney). :confused3

This is mostly around the house / pool after a run. I wouldn’t do any serious walking with them. I also have really high arches so they actually feel really steady.

I also have the “dog ate my flip flops” problem, but don’t ask me because I wear Old Navy flip flops that I buy when they’re on sale for $1

We have handles as doorknobs and one of our Shepherds has learned to open the closet! :rolleyes1

Thanks for the suggestions!

ATTQOTD recovery sandals: I wear what I wear everyday in summer: Crocs Patricia. I like that they have a heel. I even have one with Mickey on it.

One word of caution, when the bottom gets used, through them away. They become very slippery at that stage.

Sandals: I adore my Reef Ginger sandals/flip flops/slippahs. They're the only ones that don't chafe and I've been a loyal fan since I was a teen.

WATCH question: I impulsed bought the Garmin 645 music with the amazon deal of the day, but I realize I *always* carry my phone on runs and almost exclusively listen to podcasts (using the overcast app) except for the rare race - so is it even worth the upgrade from my trusty Garmin 235?

Quick aside: had no idea Strava took off the running log from its free platform. It's the only reason I used it!

Watch QOTD:
I upgraded my Fenix 5s, because I really wanted the safety features that the new one has - incident detection/assistance. It will send a GPS Link, LiveTrack to your emergency contacts.

Doing a quick search on the 645, it looks like it has that. For me it would be worth it, but maybe that’s not reason enough for everyone. So maybe not the reason you were originally thinking of to upgrade, but I feel like it’s a pretty nice feature to have.

Just checking in to say after a bit over 3 years of running I hit the 1,000 mile mark today! I also wanted to ask what are your favorite recovery sandals/flip flops?

Congrats on the 1000!

In the OOFOS camp. I'm on my second pair of sandals and I have a pair of the goofy looking clogs. To me, they are like little cushioning trampolines for your feet.

Let’s talk running lights. What’s your recommendation for a light for a trail run.

I'm going to assume you mean headlamp? I have a Petzl Tikka XP that is great. It is lightweight, doesn't move around at all, and is comfortable enough that I would forget it was there if not for the stream of light in front of me. I also have a Black Diamond Storm and while it is a great headlamp for camping, walking, or just being outside I personally find it too heavy and that it moves around too much to run with it.

We would love to find a used one in good condition. Haven’t had much luck with that though. The way you care for yours is how I imagined we’d be caring for ours 😆. Maintenance wasn’t a thought until someone mentioned it on here🤦‍♀️

Right now it is harder to find used ones because so many people bought them up as gyms closed but see if you have a reseller around you that sells refurbished professional equipment. A lot of gyms will trade in their old treadmills when they get new ones and these shops will refurbish them for resale. They might not have enough life left for multiple people to use them hours a day but with maintenance there is plenty of life left for inside the house. That was my long-term treadmill goal before COVID moved up our timeline.

I have had a pair of PR Soles on my Amazon wish list for years but never pulled the trigger.

Last edited:
Am I the only runner who doesn't use a recovery shoe?! I'll pull on some compression socks if my feet and calves feel like it, but I don't wear shoes in my house. If it's chilly, I'll put on my fuzzy Croc slippers, but that has nothing to do with running. If I need to go out, I just wear my usual daily shoes - Birkenstocks or non-running running shoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter