The Running Thread - 2020

Am I the only runner who doesn't use a recovery shoe?! I'll pull on some compression socks if my feet and calves feel like it, but I don't wear shoes in my house. If it's chilly, I'll put on my fuzzy Croc slippers, but that has nothing to do with running. If I need to go out, I just wear my usual daily shoes - Birkenstocks or non-running running shoes.

I don't have specific recovery shoes, but I always wear shoes or slippers. My feet are always cold.

Sandals: I adore my Reef Ginger sandals/flip flops/slippahs. They're the only ones that don't chafe and I've been a loyal fan since I was a teen.

WATCH question: I impulsed bought the Garmin 645 music with the amazon deal of the day, but I realize I *always* carry my phone on runs and almost exclusively listen to podcasts (using the overcast app) except for the rare race - so is it even worth the upgrade from my trusty Garmin 235?

Quick aside: had no idea Strava took off the running log from its free platform. It's the only reason I used it!

Hah - I bought a used 645 off Ebay. I had the 230 (and a 920xt, plus a 520 for cycling). I always use my iPod to listen to my music, even thought I have loaded my 645 with tunes. I have yet to use the 645 for music.

I really enjoy the 645 though as a watch. Way more than I thought. It's been a pleasant surprise and my 230 is collecting dust.

Am I the only runner who doesn't use a recovery shoe?! I'll pull on some compression socks if my feet and calves feel like it, but I don't wear shoes in my house. If it's chilly, I'll put on my fuzzy Croc slippers, but that has nothing to do with running. If I need to go out, I just wear my usual daily shoes - Birkenstocks or non-running running shoes.

Same. Except it's Haviaianas here.

I'm a barefoot/stocking foot person. The only reason I have a pair of Hoka recovery slides is because they were a prize for winning a local 5k.....and I forget to use them pretty much all the time!

I don't either. I used to always wear slip on sneakers in the house because my feet and legs would ache if I didn't. Then I heard a podcast about the benefits of strengthening your feet. I switched to just wearing socks in the house and doing some strength work. The aches went away.

Sandals: I adore my Reef Ginger sandals/flip flops/slippahs. They're the only ones that don't chafe and I've been a loyal fan since I was a teen.

WATCH question: I impulsed bought the Garmin 645 music with the amazon deal of the day, but I realize I *always* carry my phone on runs and almost exclusively listen to podcasts (using the overcast app) except for the rare race - so is it even worth the upgrade from my trusty Garmin 235?

Quick aside: had no idea Strava took off the running log from its free platform. It's the only reason I used it!
Have the Fenix 5 and habit of carrying my phone as well still. I love at least having the option when I go running in the extreme cold/heat, rain, snow, etc since the Garmin is more weatherproof than my phone. Check out Spotify (do have to have premium for it to work) and Runcasts to see if they have your podcasts. You can usually find most podcasts on one or both apps.

If anyone had their heart set on running Princess or Star Wars in 2021 you might want to consider reaching out to a TA. It sounds like registration for both events is going to be like it was for MW 2021. The below is from the TA I used for W&D.

“Hello Runners,

We have two quick updates for you all. The Disney Princess Half Marathon pre-registration sales are just about all sold out so if you want to get something booked for that weekend be sure to let us know asap. Second, we are pre-booking the Star Wars Rival Run Weekend packages as well.

As we mentioned in our last email, runDisney is limiting the amount of race registrations for the 2021 season so they are expecting to sell out of all race categories as soon as registration opens to the general public and as you can see we too are selling out weeks and months before registration opens. When the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend opened for registration everything was sold-out within minutes and many runners missed out. We tell you this because we don't want you to be the one who is left out.”

Check out this Zion at Night trail Half that Vacation Races just announced... https://vacationraces.com/small-group-half-marathons/zion-at-night

I think there are a lot of elements here we could start seeing in future races. It's a staggered start with 50 runners each hour, and you sign up for the time you want to start. Start times every hour from 7pm to 7am (yes, overnight) over two different nights. Drive-through bib pick-up and limited aid stations. It's a trail race, not a road race, and in a rural area, so it's probably a good test for implementing some of these practices elsewhere. Really curious everyone's thoughts!

Thanks for this post. In the last week things have gotten a little crazy. And now I find that I will be in the area for this. I signed up, will let everyone know how it goes.

I've never specifically bought a pair of recovery shoes. I have a pair of Saucony's that are comfy but I don't like for running (too loose in the heel) that I use for long walks, and if my feet are sore when I need to leave the house I'll wear those because the support is nice. Those come with me for post-race when I do an overnight trip for a run. But if I'm around my house, nah, I never wear shoes in the house.

QOTD: What do you do to “reset” when something related to running bums you out?

This weekend I was supposed to run the the Lumberjack Challenge in Ottawa (2k+5k+10k+M), with the entire family running the 5k. Those races went Virtual, no reimbursement but a promise of 50% off for 2021 registrations. All weekend the temperature was gorgeous. I could not help thinking: “I would be at that starting line or I would be walking back to the hotel after the Marathon” etc. Then, tonight, I learned that one family member moved their wedding (poor them) exactly on the next year edition. So I am bummed out. I am no longer finding any inspiration to “race virtually”. I will keep maintaining and training for my next race but no excitement because not much hope either. How do you get motivated again? TIA

Reset: I'm not a racer, but at the beginning of all this I was pretty depressed and I knew a race I'd been working very hard to get into was probably not going to happen. I continued to grind out long easy miles but what made me feel better was actually a different run: a speed run! I think a run different than your usual trail or pace can help. Maybe some achievable intervals. I love seeing baby animals and they're out in force right now, so if you can, maybe find a trail around nature - even bird watching is fun!

Last edited:

This weekend I was supposed to run the the Lumberjack Challenge in Ottawa (2k+5k+10k+M), with the entire family running the 5k. Those races went Virtual, no reimbursement but a promise of 50% off for 2021 registrations. All weekend the temperature was gorgeous. I could not help thinking: “I would be at that starting line or I would be walking back to the hotel after the Marathon” etc. Then, tonight, I learned that one family member moved their wedding (poor them) exactly on the next year edition. So I am bummed out. I am no longer finding any inspiration to “race virtually”. I will keep maintaining and training for my next race but no excitement because not much hope either. How do you get motivated again? TIA

First, I allow myself plenty of time to be sad/angry/depressed about it. You put time and energy into training for something, and it's not happening. That would make anyone be disappointed.

After I'm done with my self-pity party, I try to figure out what might motivate me again. Maybe the virtual run isn't your thing (it sure as heck isn't mine). If not, don't feel badly about skipping part or all of it. (Seriously, a virtual marathon?) Right now we have the added burden of not being able to plan for near-term running events. That makes it all harder. So maybe it's time to ditch the plan and just run for the sake of running. I've done this, too, and after awhile I feel the itch to race and can identify a goal.

Sorry. All of this really sucks and some days seem to suck more than others that's for sure. The wedding will be just as fun as a race though!

I'm trying to mostly run easy and find other things to motivate me. I'm very inflexible and terrible at yoga so I tried that for a while. I started a plank challenge every day with DH. Then DH & my teenaged sons made fun of me for having so little upper body strength (excuse me, you all have carried everything for me for years, what do you expect?) so I've started a little push-up challenge for myself. Next is a hydration challenge once the push ups are a habit. All of these things should help my running even if they are not exactly running goals. Then once races are available we can just hope the motivation comes right back. I feel your pain though, it's very easy to think, "What's the point?"

Also, it's not a virtual race, but my far-flung running friend and I made a team for the Run the Edge Run 2020 in 2020 challenge. I'd never run 2020 miles myself in a year but with my friend it looks like we will make it if we continue running. So that's a little motivation, working with a friend to reach an arbitrary goal :)

ATTQOTD: I like shopping to help me reset which isn’t totally an option right now... but finding a new workout top brightens my mood a little, or new shoes!! I guess ordering online if you know your size can help a little?

I also come here though and find the positivity of everyone on these boards really helpful. I’ve been so grateful for everyone’s help and encouragement - I still find it overwhelming how I can come and say I’m excited to reach a 12 minute mile goal and get as many likes as some like DopeyBadger going for his super fast mile goal!

Thanks for your replies. It helps a lot to be able to write and acknowledge how we feel, and to have other’s perspectives on it.

I love seeing baby animals and they're out in force right now
It is true that nature is very soothing. And I will reinsert some specific speed runs just to see how they feel.

If not, don't feel badly about skipping part or all of it. (Seriously, a virtual marathon?)
I had the same reaction. The virtual race instructons even mentions that it is ok to break it up in smaller segments and submit a total time. But I will make sure to submit a time based on some reality because I would not feel ok hanging up those medals otherwise.

I did a virtual race today, and while it wasn't ideal, it actually went better than I anticipated. I thought I would have a hard time keeping a faster pace without anyone around me. However, that didn't seem to be an issue.

I hit a PR* with a star today. I ran a 49:50 for a 10k (one of my goals for the year); however, I did stop halfway, including stopping my watch for a water break. That break probably allowed me to meet the sub-50, since it lowered my heart rate and allowed me to keep a good pace for the second half. Or maybe I could have kept pushing through for the sub-50 without the break. We'll never know. :P So, it's a PR*, but it gives me more confidence that I can hit it in a real race.

QOTD. When I get bummed out on something racing related, I usually end up taking a couple of days off, maybe shorten the long run for a week. I have hit that a couple of times this year, once when my half was canceled, and once when I decided to pass on the WDW Marathon this year. What got me going again was remembering what my long term goals are. As someone who was at one point in the middle of my age group, then life got crazy for a few years, and now I'm in the back of the of my age group and I want back into the middle of the pack (or more), that I need to keep working to reach those goals that are larger than the next race, and the only way to reach them is to keep working.

I have never tried a virtual race, and think I would really struggle to get into it, and view a run as anything more than my normal run for that day. If races look like they are still questionable next year, I might try the virtual Star wars run, but I don't know yet. If I do I will likely, not race it and rather try and talk my brother into doing it with me, he has never tried running, but if the medal is cool enough I could see him deciding spending an afternoon run/walking it as worth working up to. So that wouldn't be so much as a virtual race, but trying to get a family member out with me and doing something a little more active than our usual drinking beer and playing video games.

ATTQOTD: Not exactly the same thing, but I was supposed to do a 180 mile 2 day bike ride with my wife (a Newfie :)) last year. About a month before the event, I was in a car accident and the week before the ride, the doctor said I was not cleared to ride. I was very bummed, as it was her first time to be able do the ride together after four years of attempts. I ended up supporting her all weekend in whatever way I could, including being at the finish of both days. It was a very small payback for all the race support she has provided me over the years. I also got the opportuinity to work on my walking/power hiking for my longer races/runs. I endend up walking about 45 miles a week and got much better.

I have registered for a lot of virtual races this summer to ease the pain of having SW cancelled and having to cancel our trip for the Paris DL Half due to no one wanting to go. I am doing the Disney virtuals, a 1000K, a couple of ~100Ks, a 190mile team event and a 100 miler.

I did one of the ~100k races this weekend (69m/112k) and then provided 12 hours support for the 190 miler after taking a nap. Fun running weekend and I got to meet some new people. The only thing I would have changed is the weather, as we hit a 100F heat index for the first time this year. The middle parts of the days were pretty miserable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter