The Scooter Strikes Back-A F&W 2017 TR- Bonus Features, Link to new TR 3/22

Ew. When it rains, it pours.

Yeah, we saw the super vet today and hopefully have some solutions.

Yuck. Hope you two feel better soon!

I'm feeling better, it takes Fran longer cause of her meds.

! That's a truckload of pixie dust.

::yes::

I'm starting to think this is the only ride you go on at Disneyland anymore.

You're kinda right! At first it was trying to get all six songs, now its something we can get in and off fairly quickly and move on to the eating and drinking or vice versa. I do have a few days coming up where we have whole days to enjoy the parks but a lot of the time, its power rides and then on to something else!

Must be a day that ends in "y". :rotfl2:

::yes::

Interesting. I guess that makes sense. No sense re-inventing the wheel.

Exactly. They showed several other characters maybe Thumper became reincarnated too.

Hey, there's a different ride! Nice photo. :thumbsup2

Thanks! That's probably my second most rided ride... :laughing:

@pkondz goes straight under the bus. Got it.

Well he did ask for a 2-3 hour video of paint drying... :confused3

Smart move. A wise investment.

Yeah, I don't know why they built the units with just a tub in that bathroom.

Also smart. Looks like a pretty extreme makeover going on. Looking good so far!

More pics coming soon. Its moving ahead quickly!

I'm there so often, I feel I should start charging for it.

:laughing:

Yeah, we saw the super vet today and hopefully have some solutions.

Every time you say that...

SUPER VET!!!

supervet.gif

Time to install some stairs outside the front door.

:rolleyes1

Yeah, I need to install a whole flight, and still that might not deter her. :rolleyes1

What about the litter boxes?

She does them. Usually the helpers empty the boxes shed empties them into, but if I have to, I use surgical gloves.

I know. :hug:

Oh!!! Speaking of band... I did see (very briefly while quickly scrolling) that you did your march (accompanied by a certain flag bearer).
How did it go? And how did you feel afterwards??

Do you mean banner carrier? Yeah we felt like we were going to die that night. I don't remember whether we ordered dinner, picked it up on the way home or just reheated leftovers but we were in bed real early.

Oh, pffffttt... Who doesn't. $10.00? Probably got that in my pocket right now.

Whoops! Stupid decimal. Nevermind.

Yeah, thank goodness the renovations are only costing $2500. Oh, stupid decimal. :faint:

Oh! I was sure they were different. Okay, disregard previous statement.

Stricken from the record.

You'll get there! :)

Someday. Actually I have more pictures to post.

Every time you say that...

SUPER VET!!!

Well see the Super Vet doesn't see routine cases or give regular treatments or shots, spays or neutering. They only see severe trauma cases. You have to be referred to them, although I suppose if you know about them and your pet has had a severe wound you might be able to bring them in if they are not on the verge of death. They actually have a ton of state of the art surgery and rehabilitation equipment. When we mentioned this place to the folks at our regular vet, their eyes became starry and they said things like, "We got to attend a seminar there, it was amazing!" Or "Have you seen how many treatment bays they have and how much equipment each one has?"
One gal was Impressed by the water therapy bays they have for dogs. It is a truly amazing place, but you don't want your pet to need to go there, ever. The doctors are great but just by virtue of going there means there is a huge problem. One lady I spoke to in the waiting room was from Palm Desert, Google that distance, its 2 1/2 hours without traffic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I need to install a whole flight, and still that might not deter her. :rolleyes1

How about a trap door that opens up under her?

She does them. Usually the helpers empty the boxes shed empties them into, but if I have to, I use surgical gloves.

You really don't wanna touch that, do ya.

Do you mean banner carrier?

Oh! Yes. That's exactly what I meant. Brain fart.

Yeah we felt like we were going to die that night. I don't remember whether we ordered dinner, picked it up on the way home or just reheated leftovers but we were in bed real early.

So it was too much for you. :(

:hug:

Yeah, thank goodness the renovations are only costing $2500. Oh, stupid decimal. :faint:

Oh dear.

Someday. Actually I have more pictures to post.

Good! :)

Well see the Super Vet doesn't see routine cases or give regular treatments or shots, spays or neutering.

But he does have a cape, right?

9Ybgz.gif

They only see severe trauma cases. You have to be referred to them, although I suppose if you know about them and your pet has had a severe wound you might be able to bring them in if they are not on the verge of death. They actually have a ton of state of the art surgery and rehabilitation equipment. When we mentioned this place to the folks at our regular vet, their eyes became starry and they said things like, "We got to attend a seminar there, it was amazing!" Or "Have you seen how many treatment bays they have and how much equipment each one has?"
One gal was Impressed by the water therapy bays they have for dogs. It is a truly amazing place, but you don't want your pet to need to go there, ever. The doctors are great but just by virtue of going there means there is a huge problem.

Yeah, I can see that you'd prefer not to know about it.

One lady I spoke to I'll n the waiting room was from Palm Desert, Google that distance, its 2 1/2 hours without traffic.

Huh. I did Google. Not too many of those around, obviously.

How about a trap door that opens up under her?

:laughing:

That's funny until I have to get her up off the ground. #Notfun

You really don't wanna touch that, do ya.

::yes:: one of the reasons I never wanted children. Seriously.

Oh! Yes. That's exactly what I meant. Brain fart

No problem! The flag twirled exert way more energy than the band members who do more than the banner carriers so I was confused.

Well actually the quote came in at 50% of what I was expecting.

Maybe tomorrow, unless she has me running around.

But he does have a cape, right

No

Yeah, I can see that you'd prefer not to know about it.

They only opened a few years ago, but yeah severe trauma cases throughout So Cal are referred there. We are lucky that it is only maybe 10 minutes farther than our regular vet in the other direction.

Huh. I did Google. Not too many of those around, obviously.

Yup. We are lucky to be close to one in case we need it. West Coast VCA Specialty Hospital.

A lot of “business" is conducted at these functions, and those who are on the Board of Directors serve as much as 20 hours in meetings over the course of 5 days, while the Delegates only have to attend 4 hours of meetings over two days.

That does not sound too bad.

Tuesday night we had band. Why we went? I don't know. Our flight left at 7:30AM the next morning and while we were mostly packed, we still had more to do. Even though we left the rehearsal early at the break, and we packed as efficiently as we could, we were still awake all night until 3:30AM when we had to leave for the airport.

That is not good at all.

There were two booths and in my lack-of-sleep-haze, I got totally confused. One was for the conference we were attending, the other was taking registrants for next year's conference in Orlando.

That seems a little confusing even with plenty of sleep.

I was way too tired and out of it to take pictures of the room, but I found this on the website and this was essentially our room.

q18LGBA052403.jpeg

That looks really need.

Because I was the 50th person to register for this conference, I was supposed to receive a Gift Card for a local BBQ place, but unfortunately it was not waiting for me at the registration desk as promised.

Oh, that is a shame. Did you ever manage to get this resolved?

That looks absolutely delicious.

Justin who ordered the Oatmeal Brulee.

I think this may be something I may enjoy.

Later that night there was a Gala party event complete with catered BBQ, but between the long day and the fact that they didn't start serving the food until close to 9:30PM, we ended up leaving before it was served.

That seems very late.

I decided to try and find out if they would put her scooter under the bus like they do with DME, and they could!

That must have made things so much easier.

We weren't going to buy anything, but when we found locally made ice wine for $12 per bottle and realized that they make wine in MO, we couldn't resist trying a few bottles.

I would not have been able to resist this either.

Remind me of your dates again?

This trip is off. I am hoping to get around to updating my pre-trip report within the next couple of days and this will have all the details.

It was this week four years ago that we moved out of our old house

Wow, time sure does fly.

When Jenny’s DH got hired at Disney he got a great coupon for 50% a meal at various restaurants.

That sounds like a sweet deal.

And we scored some serious pixie dust on this trip, we were upgraded to the concierge lounge and were able to get snacks and beverages there throughout the weekend.

Nice.

We could tell that it was going to start raining soon so we headed inside to check out the lounge and have some snacks.

x18DL0302FW06.jpg

Oh, I spot a steamed bun. They are one of my favourite foods.

We got the Goat Cheese Fromage Blanc Tartine and the Brie Toast.

I love the look of both of them.

Corinna

So a lot happened on the remodeling front this week! I finally made it over there on Friday afternoon and here’s where the project stands now.

The kitchen cabinets and countertops are in.

q18IRL0622DS01.jpg

q18IRL0622DS02.jpg

q18IRL0622DS03.jpg

q18IRL0622DS04.jpg

q18IRL0622DS06.jpg

The dining room cabinet is put back together.

q18IRL0622DS05.jpg

Not much left to the living room except to put up blinds.

q18IRL0622DS07.jpg

Let’s go into the back of the house.

q18IRL0622DS08.jpg

The counter and sink are in the hall bathroom, now we just need to buy a light fixture and faucets for sink and shower. I think the Contractor is trying to put a frame around the old mirror to save us some $’s.

q18IRL0622DS09.jpg

q18IRL0622DS10.jpg

This is the bathroom off the Master bedroom, it also needs a faucet fixture and light.

q18IRL0622DS11.jpg

It looks like they still have a ways to go in this room too!

q18IRL0622DS12.jpg

I didn’t take pictures of the Master or the other bedroom because they are crammed full of doors, and other stuff so you really can’t see anything in there anyways. But they’re coming along!

In other news Berlioz had his follow up vet visit. It wasn’t really good news, but it wasn’t bad news. He’s been released and needs to come back for a six month follow up. He has been cleared for the “big operation”, so we have to schedule that. Essentially he’s going to be a “special needs” kitty for the rest of his life. We’ll need to keep an eye on him and give him the inhalers at least once a day. They couldn’t get a potty sample to run tests on him yesterday, but Fran got one last night, so we’re going to drop that off with them today so they can run tests and find out if he has parasites or a tapeworm or something. In the meantime we get the joy of giving him more medicine.

Not much else to report around here, just the same old stuff, going to band on Tuesdays and selling our posessions on eBay. Which is why it is nice when I have folks come to town and distract me and make me go to Disney!

It was only a few weeks after the first weekend out at Food and Wine that my parents came to visit. We had two special events planned during their visit. Actually they planned their visit around the opening of the King Tut Exhibit at the CA Science Center at the end of March. We purchased our tickets for that exhibit for opening week back in January.

As soon as the Food & Wine festival announced their dates, I booked the Disney Family of Wines dinner without realizing that was the night before our King Tut tickets, and I didn't book a reservation for my parents at the dinner. Luckily when I realized my mistake, it hadn't sold out and they were able to get in as well.

We arrived about 45 minutes early for the start of the dinner and already a line had formed. There were plenty of familiar folks to chat with in the meantime while we waited.

Pretty soon the doors opened and they began to check people in. We were led into the bar. We were greeted with servers holding platters of wines
• Fess Parker Winery, Riesling, Santa Barbara County, 2016
• Skywalker Vineyards, Pinot Noir Rosé, Marin County, 2017
• MacMurray Ranch, Pinot Noir, Estate Vineyards, Russian River Valley, 2015

We found a temporary table.

x18DL0329FW01.jpg

Soon the servers came by with Butler passed hors d’oeuvres.
Appetizers:

• Duck Confit Cones with Dried Cherry-Chive Relish

x18DL0329FW02.jpg

• Honey Goat Cheese Tart with Strawberries

x18DL0329FW03.jpg

• Crispy Artichoke Fritter with Sun Gold Tomato Sauce

We didn't get any of the last one.

Once the dining room opened, seating was pretty much grab a table, there were tables of eight or more. So we shared a table with a few other parties.

x18DL0329FW06.jpg

The talented Executive Chef, Andrew Sutton, assisted by Chef De Cuisine, Gloria Tae created an “inspired” menu based on the various wines of the evening.

x18DL0329FW04.jpg

x18DL0329FW05.jpg

We started off with bread to sop up the wine.

x18DL0329FW09.jpg

The featured wineries were:
Fess Parker Winery
Kurt Russell’s GoGi Wines
Silverado Vineyards
Skywalker Vineyards
The Napa Rose restaurant provided a beautiful setting for the event.

x18DL0329FW10.jpg

Each course was introduced by a principal of the featured winery and Chef Sutton.

This is Kurt Russell’s Sister, Jami, she runs the day to day operations of the Wine Club and if call with a question, she’s the one you talk to. She totally remembered Fran and I from when we joined last year.

x18DL0329FW11.jpg

• Gogi, Chardonnay, Goldie, Santa Rita Hills, 2014

x18DL0329FW07.jpg

x18DL0329FW08.jpg

• Salad of King Crab, Prosciutto, Green Apple and Coraline, Lemon Buttermilk Dressing

x18DL0329FW12.jpg

This was fantastic! The chef specified when he said “Buttermilk Dressing” that he did not, in fact mean, “Buttermilk Ranch”. It was tangy and very tasty on the lettuce. The crab was so tender, it was practically melt in your mouth.
This was the wine for the next course

• Skywalker Vineyards, Pinot Noir, Marin County, 2012

x18DL0329FW13.jpg

And it was introduced by one of the Winemakers

x18DL0329FW14.jpg

• Pan Roasted Black Sea Bass, English Pea Coulis, Butter Poached Radishes and Spring Onions

x18DL0329FW15.jpg

This was another really tender and yummy course. The fish was cooked just perfectly and even though I don’t like peas. I’ve learned that I like English Peas from Napa Rose. I enjoyed the wine, but I didn't find it incredibly special and from the price I've heard, I probably won't try it unless it's served to me at a restaurant.

Our next wine was the one we received in our November wine shipment from Gogi.

• Gogi, Pinot Noir, Birdie, Sta. Rita Hills, 2014

x18DL0329FW17.jpg

x18DL0329FW16.jpg

• Hunter’s Agnolotti, Truffled Potato Espuma and Almond Mushrooms

x18DL0329FW18.jpg

These little pasta purses were packed full of flavor. I was a little surprised at how much flavor they had, but since I like mushrooms, I thought they were just great. The sauce was perfect.

[Continued in Next Post]

[Continued from Previous Post]

• Fess Parker Winery, Syrah, Rodney’s Vineyard, Santa Barbara County, 2015
x18DL0329FW19.jpg

• Red Dust and Spanish Lace, Barbacoa Braised Wild Boar Crepinette, Spanish Cured Sausage and Roasted Tomato Charmula

x18DL0329FW20.jpg

This was the point where I was starting to get full. I ended up taking half of this home, and we had it for dinner a few nights later along with the next course. It was very flavorful and cooked until it was very tender.

My Mom was not a fan of the Wild Boar as she thought the topping was made with cilantro and she’s allergic to it. So they took her plate back and gave her this, a Portabello mushroom with leeks and carrot puree, and she really liked it. I just took the little green lump off the top of my Wild Boar and left it on the side of the plate, in case there was cilantro in it.

x18DL0329FW21.jpg

Then came the wine for the main course

• Silverado Vineyards, Cabernet Sauvignon, GEO, Coonbsville, Napa Valley, 2013

x18DL0329FW22.jpg

• “Beef Piedmontese,” Black Berry Oxtail Ragu, Barlotti Bean, Hay Roasted Organic Carrot Purée

x18DL0329FW23.jpg

The beef was really good, nice and rare although I am not a fan of Filet Mignon since it doesn’t have as much flavor as a Rib Eye. It was very tender and did have more flavor than a standard Filet as it was Piedmontese beef. I was so full at this point that I took probably ¾ of mine home, and with everyone else pitching in half or so theirs, we had enough for dinner two nights later (supplemented with a baked potato and green beans).

Then it was time for dessert!

x18DL0329FW24.jpg

• Silverado Vineyards, Late Harvest Semillon, Napa Valley, 2010

• Meyer Lemon Semi-freddo and Dulcey Custard, “Harry’s Berries” and Candied Macadamia Nuts

x18DL0329FW25.jpg

This was a perfect dessert to cap off a very rich evening. It was light and fresh, and just the right amount of tart and sweet. For some reason I had no problem finishing dessert!

After dinner, we received a box of chocolate truffles and the special menu folder.

x18DL0329FW26.jpg

x18DL0329FW27.jpg

Truly AMAZING!!!

I am IN LOVE with DeSoto. I can't believe thats the same apartment. He has done a fabulous job. Top dollar, here you come. :woohoo: Let Michael know about the blinds.

Dinner looks fabulous as usual. They Meyer lemon dessert looks perfect; love anything citrus.

Disney this week? I am having HUGE w/drawls. Like major. Sadee will be here next Monday and we are just doing DCA if you want to join us. We finally solidified plans last night. It'll be me, Sadee, her daughter, and one of Sadee's friends who I have met once. We have to leave the parks by 5 as she flies out that evening.

Looks like a wonderful dinner! We've been debating if we want to pick up a bottle of Skywalker but we haven't done it yet.

The t shirt if from Torrid.com. I love it!

Omg, it was so cold and rainy durin F&W but it was amazing! #mitchelltime That demo was disappointing and COLD!!!! Your winemakers dinner has me drooling!

De Soto really looks incredible!

Can't wait to see you guys again next month! I'm having DL withdrawals too!

Jill in CO

As usual, just popping on at work to see how you are :)
I think you missed my last post a few pages back, but I am sad it didn't work out for us to meet up, it was evident in the time leading up to our trip that my group would require my constant wrangling :)
I have just booked DH and I on a short 4 day Vancouver-LA cruise in Oct for us to have a little "us" time and am pondering adding a Disney day when the ship gets in, before we fly home, say maybe if we do decide to do a Disney day, you will be around.

SO many amazing food pics! As I was scrolling, I saw a wine bottle that caught my eye- from Far Niente Winery- we were able to tour that winery a few years ago- very nice indeed.

I haven't been able to read all the details, but I hope Fran is on the mend.

Your renos are looking excellent!

The kitchen cabinets and countertops are in.

Looks good!

I presume that's for a built in oven and microwave?
(And obviously dishwasher in the other spot.)

Not much left to the living room except to put up blinds.

I'm a bit surprised you went with tile in the living room and not carpet.

Like the choice of tile in the shower.

In other news Berlioz had his follow up vet visit. It wasn’t really good news, but it wasn’t bad news. He’s been released and needs to come back for a six month follow up. He has been cleared for the “big operation”, so we have to schedule that. Essentially he’s going to be a “special needs” kitty for the rest of his life. We’ll need to keep an eye on him and give him the inhalers at least once a day. They couldn’t get a potty sample to run tests on him yesterday, but Fran got one last night, so we’re going to drop that off with them today so they can run tests and find out if he has parasites or a tapeworm or something. In the meantime we get the joy of giving him more medicine.

Poor kitty. What will the "big operation" be?

Actually they planned their visit around the opening of the King Tut Exhibit at the CA Science Center at the end of March.

I saw signs for that... just didn't have the time.

Interesting lights.

• Duck Confit Cones with Dried Cherry-Chive Relish

Now that looks intriguing!

The talented Executive Chef, Andrew Sutton, assisted by Chef De Cuisine, Gloria Tae created an “inspired” menu based on the various wines of the evening.

That menu was impressive! And the food certainly looked it, too.

Each course was introduced by a principal of the featured winery and Chef Sutton.

Nice!

She totally remembered Fran and I from when we joined last year.

:) Did she say anything to you guys?

This was fantastic! The chef specified when he said “Buttermilk Dressing” that he did not, in fact mean, “Buttermilk Ranch”.

Oh, thank goodness. I would've been pretty disappointed.

even though I don’t like peas. I’ve learned that I like English Peas from Napa Rose.

What do you like about them? i.e. what's different about them?

These little pasta purses were packed full of flavor. I was a little surprised at how much flavor they had, but since I like mushrooms, I thought they were just great. The sauce was perfect.

Man, they sound amazing.

My Mom was not a fan of the Wild Boar as she thought the topping was made with cilantro

Was it? You didn't ask?

Might be drooling.... just might be.

Meyer Lemon Semi-freddo and Dulcey Custard, “Harry’s Berries” and Candied Macadamia Nuts

Pretty... and delicious looking too.

For some reason I had no problem finishing dessert!

:laughing: I'm not surprised!

Somehow, I think this post was meant for your TR, but she looks beautiful in that dress!

Thanks, I removed it. Must've somehow clicked your TR instead of mine. Fat fingers/small phone.
That's what you get when you post something when you've had two hours of sleep in the past 34 hours.

Wow, some real progress has been made with the apartment. I love the kitchen.

Poor little thing. At least it was not bad news.

As soon as the Food & Wine festival announced their dates, I booked the Disney Family of Wines dinner without realizing that was the night before our King Tut tickets, and I didn't book a reservation for my parents at the dinner. Luckily when I realized my mistake, it hadn't sold out and they were able to get in as well.

I am glad that this all worked out, but it sounds like an intense couple of days.

Honey Goat Cheese Tart with Strawberries

I would have been all over this. I love goat cheese and strawberries.

The meal looked utterly amazing.

Corinna

The kitchen looks wonderful. Congratulations on getting so much done.

Glad to hear your kitty is reaching the point of stability. I always look for the updates when I read your report.

Next time you come, I'll have to introduce you to Reynaud's. It's a French pastry shop inside an upscale market in Long Beach. Their macarons are better than the Kayla's Cake cart in DTD and cheaper!

Better???? I’m ready!!! popcorn::

I enjoyed the construction photos, that’s a really nice apartment. Hopefully all done soon and rented before vacation?

Poor little Berlioz, glad he’s on the mend though.

That dinner with your folks looks like great fun. The dessert looks like the best part of the meal to me!

Last edited:
Hey Alison... while I READ your latest updates, for some reason none of the photos will load at all. So disappointing because I know there must be some fantastic ones of a lot of great looking food.

:)

I will try again tomorrow to see if they will load for me.

I really wanted to see the renovation photos and the photos of this amazing dinner, but something is acting up with the photos.

I will come back later and see if its working :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter