The Sean incident on the show today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CampbellzSoup

Son. Husband. Father.
I’ll tell you what.

Security at the Disney parks are not trained law enforcement professionals. Their was an incident with me once and their security was super unprofessional, thank god I know the law and what I can and can not do.

However, all I’m saying is Disney needs to train their security guards to not snap or take nonsense personally.

I can’t imagine who the heck their hiring...

I just thought maybe this was a one off with ME but for them to do this to Sean on Christmas Eve at Disney!?!? No police officer would ever give anyone a hard time over such nonsense you are literally trained not to react to stuff in that matter.

Shameful.

Yeah that was terrible. I think we all agree it was horrific treatment and ridiculous escalation so to be brief I won’t reiterate that.

I did want to say

1. It seems like someone in management had given him the assignment to clear the restaurant (which he horribly, horribly executed), he didn’t just fall out of the sky and take it upon himself?? I want to know more about what Disney cost cutting policy even brought him to that assignment.

2. I did dislike Pete broad statements saying some working security are just wannabe police officers who weren’t good enough. That felt like misplaced fault. They are undertrained and underpaid, but the scope of their job is enormous. Overall security CMs must be doing a pretty good job for as few incidents as occur for an area of this size, multiple transportation systems and a constantly changing and diverse population.

Last edited:
I’m just going to say one of the best cast member interactions I’ve ever had was with a Disney security guard during a bag check. He took what is normally an annoying part of any Disney trip and made it fun and playful while also doing his job. What happened with Sean was completely unacceptable (if nothing else than like he said: just apologize and move on and talk about me later if that’s what it takes) and I kept getting angrier and angrier the more I listened to it, but I felt like I wasn’t doing right by the wonderful security guard I interacted with if I didn’t mention him in this discussion.

What I don't get is why Hoop-Dee-Doo was demanding people to leave, which seems to be the catalyst of this incident. It's a restaurant. I get the staff is eager to leave, but at the same time I'm sure their work isn't finished right at closing. I don't think it is unreasonable to let people linger for a few minutes. Now, 15 minutes or 30 minutes, it's understandable for a restaurant to ask people to leave, but not in the manner the security guard did.

What I don't get is why Hoop-Dee-Doo was demanding people to leave, which seems to be the catalyst of this incident. It's a restaurant. I get the staff is eager to leave, but at the same time I'm sure their work isn't finished right at closing. I don't think it is unreasonable to let people linger for a few minutes. Now, 15 minutes or 30 minutes, it's understandable for a restaurant to ask people to leave, but not in the manner the security guard did.

More than likely it was just that one security guard that started the whole thing that wanted to leave. His duties probably ended when the building cleared and he wanted to get home. Unfortunately for him all he ended up doing was staying longer and looking bad in the process.

OMG.

The CM supervisors threatened his brother's job?! And the CM supervisors getting all worked up over pictures & video being taken of CMs?! That happens all the time every single day at WDW! The CMs drawing his mom into it...that's horrible. How those CMs treated him...on Christmas Eve no less...was AWFUL.

I think that his reason for going to Hoop Dee Doo on Xmas Eve this year was a nice one. But that over the top CM butthole TOTALLY RUINED what would otherwise have been a really nice evening.

I'm wondering if some of the security guards are true Disney employees? Maybe a third party company? As a previous poster said, many of security are former police officers. Regardless, the situation was insane according to Sean. Sorry he had to deal with all of it, and his mother there, too, no less.

Well, we're going to be doing a staycation at FW for a week in a few weeks. I've done HDD and don't have a burning desire to go back, but this makes me curious to see if I hear other guests are being herded out after the late show.

I think someone said they can understand a CM having a bad day, but it sounds like ~4 CM's were all having "bad" days. The odds are pretty much against that. Protectionism 101?

Thanks for sharing, team. I have heard increased ticket/resort pricing will thin the crowds, but this really makes me think service could take that lead.

Does Sean's brother still have his job? Such a crazy experience that I had to listen to it twice. I can't believe he told Sean that Sean could take his beer with him, then called his supervisor for that exact thing. Also, if this guard has had multiple complaints (as Pete said), why has he not been redistributed?

I saw a lot of this "power trip with a badge" when I used to work for a law enforcement agency, who also employed uniformed security guards. Heck - I saw it from other civilians I worked with who weren't security guards, but worked for the PD (and made sure they made a point of that, much to my chagrin and dismay!!) It's also sometimes quite evident at shopping malls in NE NJ, where there have been uniformed security guards for years (has become more prevalent in other areas of the country over the years). People over the years I used to go to the malls with from other area of the country who didn't have uniformed guards used to frequently be amazed there were "cops" working at the malls - I would say - they're NOT "cops",they're adopt-a-cops". :) Sorry - not a great term, but I'll be honest in what I said, and not try to sugarcoat it. I'l also say the ones I was referring to ACTED like that, but not ALL of them did (before I get flamed). I mean no harm, or disparagement against GOOD security guards anywhere, who don't have a "God with a badge" complex. They are needed, appreciated, do great jobs, and I count many among former, and current, friends.

And yes - at malls around the country, and anywhere else they have security guards - uniformed or not - including Disney - you get a MIX - of active./retired law enforcement PROFESSIONALS (will use that word again in a minute - remember it, please!) and "regular civilians'. And nothing at all wrong with "regular civilians" - they can do just as good a job at this type of job, IMHO. The KEY - to me - is being a PROFESSIONAL (there's that word again!) in your job - whether you are trained law enforcement or not. If you don't act like a PROFESSIONAL in your job, and prefer to act like a power hungry jerk, you are just that - a power hungry jerk. And yes - three ARE arrogant, power hungry jerks who are trained law enforcement too (I've worked with some - believe me!!!!) - just USUALLY a lot less - since they are USUALLY weeded out in the recruitment/training process. Seems like Disney might want to./need to "up their game" in this area, and in ongoing assessment/training like trained law enforcement agencies are constantly doing. Truth is - in any job - you have HUMAN BEINGS working for you - and will get MANY different personality types, and human beings can also change over time. But - with better recruitment and ongoing training - you can hopefully curtail any "potential problem" hires, and also deal with any problems that do occur on a fluid, ongoing, as-needed basis. Both pieces are critical, IMHO.

I will also admit to LOL, and TOTALLY agreeing - with Pete's "if you were from Joisey" comments during this portion of the show. :rotfl2:

Last edited:
Wow! Sean's whole story is honestly shocking. I agree with Pete that it sounds like a "I have a badge" power trip to me and everyone else is trying to cover their butts. It's not just the guys who couldn't make it as cops because you see stories of this happening with real cops as well. My biggest question is why do any of these security guards think they have to power to get someone fired? Sean had proof on his phone that he was not the problem so all his brother has to do is show that if questioned by his actual boss. Guess I won't be trying Hoop Dee Doo on our next trip. Just feel so bad for the family since not only was their Christmas ruined, but the first one without his Dad.

I have to defend the Disney security guards a little bit because although I'm not in the parks on a regular basis like the team is I would say 90% of the security I've encountered have all been pleasant and some more friendly than the in park CM's. Granted some just say hello and check your bag not bothering with small talk, but I've never really come across any that have been rude.

Does anyone know if Disney World CM's have problems with videos containing cast members in general? Should I be worried about filming meet & greets, parades, etc. which include non-character CM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!