The Sound Of Music

I'm going to show my age. It came out around my 8th birthday, we were pretty poor and the only movies we went to see were drive ins so the whole family (6 kids) could pile in the station wagon. For my birthday I wanted to go see it at an indoor theater with just me and my parents because I loved Julie Andrews. Mama made her and I matching outfits and we went to see it then went out to eat. After I saw it I was so much more in love with Julie Andrews then before that I talked my mama into taking me to get my hair cut just like hers in the movie. I own the movie and watch it often. For my birthday last year, my son found a record of the sound track - yes a record not a CD or tape - and gave it to me. Of course, we no longer have a record player but it holds a place of honor in my she cave.

I guess it's okay but I think it's overdone by high schools and other theater groups. There are so many good musicals out there but this one has been done to death.
A lot of people don’t understand/respect the way movies of the past where made. So much is computerized today, backgrounds, not on location, computer generated. Much of filming is manipulated to correct film colors and lighting in ways they couldn’t then. I like to compare it to athletes of the past and now. What was accomplished in the past was more impressive to me because they didn’t have the high tech equipment they have now, for training and on the field. Sorry for the rambling...love the classics!

I do like it, but for me it is a bit on the long side. That's why I don't really ever watch it. It's very well done though.

It’s not that I don’t think that people don’t like it but it’s the fact that I’ve heard people say that they don’t like it and it surprises me that they don’t like it and that they find it annoying and way too long to watch over and over again. I feel like I’m the only one who does like it and I’m surrounded by people who don’t like it and don’t feel like rewatching it.
It’s kinda funny considering how long a lot of movies are now...

A lot of people don’t understand/respect the way movies of the past where made. So much is computerized today, backgrounds, not on location, computer generated. Much of filming is manipulated to correct film colors and lighting in ways they couldn’t then. I like to compare it to athletes of the past and now. What was accomplished in the past was more impressive to me because they didn’t have the high tech equipment they have now, for training and on the field. Sorry for the rambling...love the classics!
Not quite sure how this fits in with my initial comment. I prefer a lot of the older movies too. I'm just saying there are a lot of other quality musicals that theater groups could perform that aren't overdone.

I love it! It's actually one of the few movies that I ever purchased on VHS as a young adult. I went on a trip to Europe while in college in 1985 and went on a Sound of Music tour to see some of the places it was filmed. Very cool! I'd share photos, but my camera was stolen in Amsterdam on day 4 of the trip! Ah, the memories!

The Sound of Music runs 6 minutes short of 3 hours, not including the intermission. I don’t think it feels long at all.

I have seen it so many times throughout my life that I can count. I have watched it since I was a child and love it. I am 5 years younger than the movie. One of my favourites! A classic.

Last edited:
I love it! It's actually one of the few movies that I ever purchased on VHS as a young adult. I went on a trip to Europe while in college in 1985 and went on a Sound of Music tour to see some of the places it was filmed. Very cool! I'd share photos, but my camera was stolen in Amsterdam on day 4 of the trip! Ah, the memories!

I did a tour in '07 during my semester abroad. My favorite part was going out to Mondsee, it's absolutely gorgeous.

DSCN1892.jpg

One of my all time favorites! I remember when I was younger and waiting for when it was on tv/ our parents would let us bring the pillow and blankets down in the living to watch and to have popcorn was a treat for us (The kind you pop on the stove!) I was really interested in the story and in grade school (back in the 1980’s) did a school report on the real family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!