The Trip That Finally Made My Wife Haul Off And Slug Me In The Face (COMPLETED 10/2)

Forgive me, I'm tackling this TR in a weird order...

Just so you know -- the scam goes like this:

Hustler: Betcha I can tell you where you got your shoes.
mark: no thanks
Hustler: Come on! 5 bucks says I can guess.
Mark: Okay --- fine.
Hustler: You got them shoes ON YOUR FEET! Now gimme my money!

You then get hassled until you either pay or a cop runs him off.

Well, I'm definitely glad I ditched the guy. That's not worth 5 bucks!

Obviously.

Everything tastes better on Disney property. I think they pump flavour boosters into the air or something.

That's gotta be it. Or maybe voodoo magic.

Nice! I haven't been in.... over 30 years.

Sounds like you're due for a visit, then!

Wow, that's... quite the story. I was prepared to get a good chuckle, but.... you must've felt awful.
Ah well.... it happens.

Yeah...that story isn't so fun. Definitely not my finest moment. I really wish I had grabbed the life jacket. Dumb move on my part.

Um... I like that. Who wouldn't like that????

:confused3

THey should read your TRs. They'd know then.

There's one argument for not expanding my readership.

Dude.... everyone does.

For the most part. Until you spend 20 minutes "holding for clearance from the station." :faint:

:laughing: I'm sure that didn't last long. At least, judging from the rest of the chapter it didn't.

That's one good thing about the wild mood swings of a toddler. You can distract them easily.

'Dat boy is gone.

And I'm not chasing him. It was too hot!

Agreed. And I haven't even been to Blizzard Beach. Because.....

... because... I don't need to be traumatized. I just escaped from snow. You really think I want to see it again??????

Excellent point!

Interesting. I think (without having done either) I'd prefer Crush to Plummet as well.

No contest for me. But I'm not a fan of big drops. Or wedgies.

Good to know. No idea if I'll ever go, mind you.

If only you were ever going to visit central Florida...

Very noble of you. I presume you were awarded some kind of plaque or certificate.

I just put it in the corner with all of the others.

Sounds like a lot of fun.
Maybe I should try to get there some day.

::yes::

Okay... now that is cool!

What were the wait times like?

About the same. 15-20 minutes. You wait for a bit by the pool to grab a raft from someone coming off the ride, and then you have to carry the raft up the stairs and wait in one of the three lines for the slides. Man, that's a fun ride, though.

:laughing: Sounds like he had fun. :)

Julie said he was having an absolute blast.

Yes, there's a lot of pent up anger there. ::yes::

:rotfl:

YUSS!!!!!!!

:sad2:

I do remember that. fun!

As long as you're not dragged along that concrete floor!

Thanks. I don't remember if I did or not... but I'm leaning to "not".
But I was a tad younger then too.

We always think we're invincible when we're younger.

Um.... everyone did. :rolleyes1

Sorry there was no video.

Oh really! Huh.
Then again, I've done it... and it was boring. But there were also hardly any fish and I don't think I saw a single shark.

Yeah, it was kind of boring, the sharks were small, and the water was really, really cold. And I gagged on salt water and lost track of my daughter. Other than that, it was a blast!

I totally get that. Must've been nice just to cut loose for a while.

You need those goof-off days on a vacation. I probably don't plan enough of them, to be honest.

I call it DTD far more than occasionally. I still have to stop and think when someone writes "We went to DS."
You went to your son?

:rotfl2: Yeah, I don't think I can use the abbreviation for the Springs. I'll just type it out. Speaking of abbreviations, what do we do about the new Alien Swirling Saucers ride?

I will agree with that. It's more inviting now.

Definitely nicer. They needed the parking garages, too.

:laughing: Your cup of tea, huh?

Unhealthy, greasy, fatty foods. It's all I ever wanted!

So... the chicken may not have been quite as good... but with the dip, did that put it over the top?

I really liked the hot sauce on it, actually. As far as which is better...I'd probably have to do a taste test. I think I might give the nod to 50's Prime Time.

I didn't know they had 75% off sales! Is this just a campground thing?

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Well... poop. But... they always do end, don't they?

Sadly, yes. Everything does.

Hmmm... If you were rich, won the lottery or something, would you want to permanently stay? There is the anticipation factor. Hmmm...

Personally...no. I would not. This is also why we don't go back to Disney every single year. I think the novelty would wear off, and it would get old. Waiting for a few years helps keep the magic alive and build the anticipation, like you said. We're down to less than a month now and the kids are getting really antsy to go. It's pretty fun.

oooohhhooohoohh witchy woman!

Yeah...that story isn't so fun. Definitely not my finest moment. I really wish I had grabbed the life jacket. Dumb move on my part.
I'm gonna offer some advice here. Dude, you maybe, might have, should've grabbed the life jacket.

There's one argument for not expanding my readership.
Just write crap like I do...you too can have 5 readers! :lmao:

They need to invent kid safe tranquilizer darts. See everyone walking around Disney with their own personal blow gun.

The big drops don't bother me.
The wedgies, while not pleasant are quickly remedied.
It' the scraping of my back that I don't like. Even with a shirt on, still.

All? Are we using that term somewhat loosely?

About the same. 15-20 minutes. You wait for a bit by the pool to grab a raft from someone coming off the ride, and then you have to carry the raft up the stairs and wait in one of the three lines for the slides. Man, that's a fun ride, though.

Okay, I think that might add to her "all".

When we did it, we stayed in the deep part where you had to be treading water waiting for the wave. Wasn't a concern, but yeah, in the shallower part, real problem just like body surfing in the ocean.

My pastor says this (and I happen to think he's right)...
It's not that we think we're invincible when we're young, it's that we don't think.

Yeah, it was kind of boring, the sharks were small, and the water was really, really cold. And I gagged on salt water and lost track of my daughter. Other than that, it was a blast!
Again, questions about the validity of the "all" comment.

You need those goof-off days on a vacation. I probably don't plan enough of them, to be honest.
That's why we normally do the alternating park/resort days. We've found if we go go go every day, then we need a vacation from the vacation.

:rotfl2: Yeah, I don't think I can use the abbreviation for the Springs. I'll just type it out. Speaking of abbreviations, what do we do about the new Alien Swirling Saucers ride?
SSAB - Saucers Swirling Aliens Backwards?

I really liked the hot sauce on it, actually. As far as which is better...I'd probably have to do a taste test. I think I might give the nod to 50's Prime Time.
You can have my share of the hot sauce too...not a hot food fan.

Personally...no. I would not. This is also why we don't go back to Disney every single year. I think the novelty would wear off, and it would get old. Waiting for a few years helps keep the magic alive and build the anticipation, like you said. We're down to less than a month now and the kids are getting really antsy to go. It's pretty fun.
We go at least once a year and there's always new stuff. Look at my TR if you don't believe me. And why would you?

Isn't that the same thing?

Sounds like you're due for a visit, then!

I really should. I have no idea when I'm getting down there again and.... usually my visits are short and I don't want to take a day away from the parks to go to a water park.
Especially if I'm going solo. It's just not as fun by myself. If I go with a rugrat, then I can see it. I certainly wouldn't mind going back.

I think you can let that one go now.
It happens.

:hug:

For the most part. Until you spend 20 minutes "holding for clearance from the station." :faint:

Ah yes... there is that.

That's one good thing about the wild mood swings of a toddler. You can distract them easily.

::yes:: Squirrel!

Survival of the fittest... the fastest... and the coolest.

Excellent point!

There's also a very small area in DHS near muppets that has a snow man.
I avoid that thing like the plague.

Got a few of those in your day, did you?
Probably recently, too.

If only you were ever going to visit central Florida...

Well, right now, I have no plans to do so.

You're going to have to build an addition.

Not bad for a fun ride. Considering people are standing in line for 3 hours (3 hours!!) for FOP.... and that ride isn't even "real".

:goodvibes

Yup. Ruby had that years ago (in a different water park.)

You make it sound so amazing! You should work for Disney.

Neither do I. It's "Go! Go! Go!...... I need a vacation now."

I don't know. I guess we'll have to ASSk someone.

Unhealthy, greasy, fatty foods. It's all I ever wanted!

Okay, then I won't go out of my way... but if I'm there...

I think so too. I've said that actually. The people we used to live beside had kids and went at least once a year. I remember talking to the daughter and saying "Oh! You're going to WDW! You must be excited!"
She just shrugged and said "We go every year." She couldn't care less. Bit disconcerting.

I call it DTD all the time.

IT'S
dtd-jpg.332126

PEOPLE!!

Disney Springs makes it sound too much like a washed up old town in cars.

I'm ambivalent on either name, myself. It's just old habit that makes me still call it DTD.

Who knows, she could wrestle sharks for a living.

That's one way to work out your daddy issues.

True statement.

Thanks for backing me up.

I never noticed that. It does have great theming through the park.

It cracked me up when I saw it.

Another true statement.

Hey, I'm on a roll here!

My child, probably when she was an early-teen, talked me into doing it. First of all, I hate heights (hence my thing about bridges) second, the last thing I want to do is drop faster than light speed. Told the child afterward as she was laughing to go take a long walk off a short pier and headed to the nearest bar.

Good call. That's cruel and unusual right there.

Did his older brothers give him the end of the hose and tell him to look down, "Something cool is going to happen," as they unkinked the hose?

If they had been there, that's exactly how it would have gone down.

The Big Whomp of terror. Love it.

It doesn't get old!

When they closed it is still a day of morning in our house.

And then went so far as Hawaii to try and re-create it.

Man, I’ve got such a love/hate relationship with Typhoon Lagoon. I do love the water coaster and the tropical theming like you. But that wave pool...let me take you back to 2008, when my oldest was 8. It was our first visit and the first thing she wanted to do was the wave pool. She also wasn’t a swimmer and wanted to stay in the shallower end. This being our first visit to the park, I didn’t think that would be an issue. When the tsunami came, we both realized it was a bit more intense than we anticipated. She started running away but was still waist deep, I tried to grab her hand and brace for impact, but with wet hands couldn’t get a grip. I felt pretty helpless. She went down, hard. You mentioned the rough concrete. She got scraped on her knees, thighs, even up her hip. I pulled her up and quickly got her out, managed to get her down to first aid before too much blood dripped all over the park (yeah, it really was bad). First aid did a great job patching her up but the nurse mentioned although it was common, it was one of the worse cases she’d seen. So we left Typhoon Lagoon about an hour after we arrived, having only seen the wave pool and first aid hut. I always have a word of warning for people since then.
We did return the Typhoon Lagoon in 2013 but avoided the wave pool.

Yeah, that's terrible for her. I'm surprised they've never changed the surface. I get that you need traction to walk, but there has to be a happy medium somewhere. We did pretty well by wading out deep enough so that the water was up to our shoulders/neck area. That way we had some cushion below us if the wave knocked us over. Or we just dove under it.

I have an ADR for Homecomin’ in August. I’m really looking forward to it. I envision ordering exactly what you did. Glad to know you liked it.

Good stuff! Swap out the mashed potatoes for mac-and-cheese.

I want to go there so bad. Will have to wait until the January trip.

Mmmm...good eats!

OK, now I want to go even more, Oblivious seal of approval.

:thumbsup2

If you are staying there for a while and want to absorb the expense, the rented golf carts (from Disney or approved rental places) is the way to go. They have charging places at all the major stops. The serious campers bring their own.

I know the kids would have a grand old time barreling around property in a golf cart.

Don't exaggerate, it is $49.99 with tax.

Ok, ok, fine. I took a little poetic license there.

Good for Drew. The campfire and the movie is quite fun.

It's a nice little feature of staying there.

Wow, sorry she went through that. It can be a wild ride. And I second Mark's suggestion on water shoes at any of the water parks. I even use them at the pools.

It helps when the sun heats the sidewalks to the temperature of the sun, too.

Pop Tarts taste better on Disney property.

Truth.

I didn’t say they taste good; I just said they taste better when consumed after waking up in a Disney resort.

Hey now. I love Pop Tarts. We try not to keep them in the house for obvious reasons, but we do buy them as a special treat as breakfast for Disney.

Seems like a good time to make a mental note for the future, because that other security line was insanely long.

What is it about Epcot's security line? It's always at least twice as long as all the other parks. What's really frustrating is that if you are at a monorail resort, you'll clear security at your resort, then have to clear it AGAIN when you get there. I don't know why they haven't figure out how to avoid that yet. For us it means Epcot is always bagless.

In my opinion, Typhoon Lagoon is better than Blizzard Beach
I go back and forth. I'll think Blizzard Beach is better, then I'll go back and get bored. So then Typhoon is better. And then the same thing. So it really just depends on the day.

But given the lines I typically see for the Summit Plummet, I don't get the value of waiting 30-60 minutes in line for what is essentially a 4-second slide.

There is that. I've done Summit Plummet once, because I was there with a friend and we talked each other into it. It was the most terrifying 4 seconds of my life. I'll take Crush'N'Gusher any day.

As you can see from the photo, Disney FINALLY learned to have a lift system so they don’t have to force people to carry their own rafts up the stairs to the top of the slide, a problem that plagues the other slides here.

Heh. That's what husbands are for.

I took one for the team and accompanied the older kids to the Crush ‘n Gusher, where we spent the next couple of hours.

How very magnanimous of you.

This is quite possibly one of the most adorable pictures I've ever seen.

The floor is rough concrete, and it’ll tear you up something fierce if you’re not ready for it.

At both wave pools. I have a scar on my left foot from the wave pool at Blizzard because one of the bobbing waves caught me just right and my foot dragged across the floor. Tore a nice chunk of skin off. The ironic thing was that for the first few days....the scrape was literally the shape of a Mickey head. Guess there's Disney magic everywhere

It’s still a hodgepodge of shops and restaurants, but at least now they all look like they belong together.

I just wish they were less upscale. Yes, it looks nice, but I feel like I'm back at the local snooty shopping center where I can't afford anything. I guess they're trying to keep people on property and away from the outlets, but I would have much preferred more Disney theme stores (like the Disney pet store they used to have) rather than more designer stuff.

All in all, we really enjoyed our meal here. I’d go back anytime.

But no Drooling Homer?

We really enjoyed our first trip to Homecomin. The second one....was just so-so. A lot has to do with your server, as the first time we had a very personable guy and the next a girl who was only partially interested in her job. But even the food failed to wow us like it had previously.

Hey Mark, all caught up and even managed some of the banter. :) Thanks for the nice diversion from real life and the virtual trip to the water park. Never have done one on Disney property, but it sure does look like great fun. Super happy everyone, including Drew enjoyed your day of Disney stuff. Everyone loves a mono ride and while Homecomin' isn't on my personal list, it does look good. I'm going to try out Morimoto on my next trip and see how that fares. :)

We had some time to kill before the park opened (at 10:00 a.m.), so we decided to give Drew a Disney ride he was sure to love: we drove to Epcot to give him a spin on the monorail.

Sounds like a good call.

He was pretty quiet through most of the ride, actually. I think it was one of those circumstances where he might have been a little overwhelmed (I’M RIDING A MONORAIL!!!) and was taking it all in.

I love the hand position and the expression on his face, he's just getting into the zen of it all! :laughing:

Anyway, if you ask him now, he’ll tell you that the monorail is his favorite ride at Disney World.

I'll be interested to hear what his favorite ride is in a little over a month!

Another reason I prefer Typhoon Lagoon is the theme--the lush tropical theme is gorgeous here. Whereas all the fake snow at Blizzard Beach is a neat idea for a story, but the reflection of the sun can make it hurt your eyes after a while.

I've only been to Typhoon Lagoon and it was a long time ago. Even back then I found myself getting winded going up and down the trails and such to the top of the slides. I'd hate to see how I do now at least 10 years later.

Drew looked worried as we went over the edge and into a tunnel at the top. But this is where peer pressure can be a good thing. His older siblings made a big show of laughing and giggling the whole way down, and by the end Drew was laughing and giggling, too. Best of all, he was asking to do it again. So, we obliged.

Peer pressure will get them every time. Plus I bet it was fun too!

I took one for the team and accompanied the older kids to the Crush ‘n Gusher, where we spent the next couple of hours.

You poor thing, I bet it was rough.

For my money, the Crush ‘n Gusher is the best attraction in the waterpark. It’s a “water coaster”, which is a waterslide on steroids. The basic difference is that not only do you have water carrying you downhill at fast speeds on the slide, but there are uphill sections with jets of water that send you flying back up as well. It’s awesome. There are three separate slides here, all relatively the same, and we kept going back and riding them over and over again. We all had a great time.

Sounds fun. I might have to try a water park again for a short period of time.

Julie said he went on the kids’ little raft slide at least 20-30 times.

That totally looks like my speed for a water slide!

They’d closed the Swim With Sharks attraction a while back, so I didn’t get another chance to abandon my kids there.

You know, I think that was probably a really good call on Disney's part.

We got dressed in the late afternoon and made the short trip over to Disney Springs (which I still keep occasionally calling Downtown Disney).

I do too. It doesn't help that in CA it still is called DTD.

We tried out Art Smith’s Homecomin’ for dinner that evening. There was no way I was going to avoid this place—the menu is pure comfort food. I couldn’t resist the siren call of Deep-Fried Everything.

I understand the draw, we didn't have a bad meal, and I'd give it a second chance, but it wasn't all that I had hoped it would be. IMHO Prime Time wins for the Fried Chicken.

We ordered that, plus a regular fried chicken platter so we could try their mashed taters and cheddar drop biscuits. We also subbed out a mashed potato order for some skillet mac-and-cheese.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I was torn between the Chicken with Donuts and the other plate. We got the other plate.

The campground hosts a nightly campfire and Sing-Along with Chip & Dale next to the Trading Post.

Sounds like fun!

We were happy to see that Drew had no hesitation in going up to meet Chip. Another Disney test passed.

And so nice that he wasn't running screaming in horror from the overgrown chipmunks!

Just about the only perk left for us parental units…

We take anything we can get.

Well, that’s no fun…

(Yeah, I don’t buy into that either, but someone had to say it.)

We needed the break so badly at that point!

So long as you didn’t buy them on property for the Maniacal Mouse’s standard mark up.

If I have to spend that much, I'm getting a Dole Whip.

Such was implied. Saying so would be like admitting you were really glad that you ate a Hot Pocket.
(as Jim Gaffigan has pointed out, that’s likely not a sentence that’s ever been uttered)

Certainly not in our family.

The same could be said for roasted Styrofoam, but the point is taken.

Sounds like the voice of experience.

Time may or may not heal wounds, but Disney time certainly speeds up the process.

Very true.

Good plan.
At first I was wondering why you’d have paid the parking fee for this, but then again, you’d have to pay for the parking at TL as well, so with the receipt in hand I guess it doesn’t matter where Mickey collects the coins.

Actually, no parking fees were paid. I was a resort guest, so the Epcot lot was free. And there's no fee at TL for parking.

Even Disney isn’t immune to momentary and even critical lapses in judgement.

Especially if a profit is involved!

Old ones too…

:laughing:
What is he now, four-ish…
A fairly standard face for that age, with momentary swings between laughter and melt-down.

Yep, he's 4 and a half. We see that face a lot.

Although he currently suffers from a distinct lack of attractions to which to compare…

We'll fix that soon!

Young’en running… Normal.
Open space and a lack of crowd anywhere on Disney property… Surprising.

It was still early in the morning. Only chance you have of finding lower crowds.

Agreed…
But ‘cause I feel like it’s more laid back. Problem is I’m also comparing ancient history here. The Crush 'n Gusher hadn’t yet been built the last time we were at TL and it’s been a very long time since we were at either water park.

Now, as for your thoughts on the Plummet…
Those I agree with completely.

Crush 'n Gusher >>> Summit Plummet

Well lookie there…
A picture with Drew in it that didn’t take sixteen attempts…

Or are you just editing to move the story along?

There were at least 2 or 3 here. I just don't want to force anyone to look at more than one of same photo, unless they turn out really funny.

Everybody wins!

Well, we don’t win, ‘cause we weren’t there, but all y’all win!

Good enough for me!

Your martyrdom knows no bounds…

Not all heroes wear capes.

A bigger version of the ride on their larger ships.
I will have to try this out at some point.
(It just may be an extended period before I can do so.)

It's so much fun!

Yep…
You can plainly see the anchor in his eyes…

Poor little guy. Please don't call Child Protective Services.

Highlight of the day!

Um....

But did you make them sit there for thirty minutes after eating before going back in the water?

Not to mention, after the excitement of lunch, this must have been quite the letdown.

Well, you can't stuff your face with PB&J all day.

I mean, I guess you could, but it would eventually lose the magic.

Now that there, is the one thing at TL that I’ll likely not be partaking of anytime in the near.
The waves are too strong when combined with the extremely course texture of the pool floor.
It’s rare that I leave a Disney attraction bleeding; rarer still that I’ll repeat the process

Understood. You really have to guard against it.

Those would help, but offer no real protection for shins, knees, thighs, wrists, shoulders, ears, faces…

Just other people in the way. :thumbsup2

And I’d be stunned to hear otherwise.

Occasionally?
Heck I still generally refer to one of the parks as MGM!

::yes:: Better theming, to be sure.
More (and better) options too.
Yes, it’s still just a mall, but it’s a dang nice mall…

At Disney!

With good restaurants, at least.

That’s basically a normal day ‘round my neck of the woods, so it lacks a certain novelty factor for us.
That said, I still need to give it a try at some point.

We certainly enjoyed it.

Everyone should have a monument…

If mine were a donut, I'd be a happy man!

Now this I see as a definite positive.
Tough to beat a good gravy.

There's a place near here in Annapolis that makes a pepper gravy for their chicken & waffles that is really good.

Might have to do that sometime even if we’re staying at a different resort.
Think I’ll skip the 54.95 bit of it though.

Did y’all try to roast pop-tarts instead?

Nah. Beat up some other kids and stole their s'mores.

How big was the bruise applied to your rib cage after pointing that one out to Julie?

:rolleyes1

It still hurts.

Now there’s a fine picture of young’ens.

Thanks!

And allow me to apologize profusely for how joyless and depressing that chapter will inevitably be…

Nah. Still better than Flamingo.

I'm gonna offer some advice here. Dude, you maybe, might have, should've grabbed the life jacket.

Hey, thanks for the tip. Where were you six years ago??

Just write crap like I do...you too can have 5 readers! :lmao:

I can churn out crap with the best of 'em.

They need to invent kid safe tranquilizer darts. See everyone walking around Disney with their own personal blow gun.

That would definitely make the wait times shorter.

The big drops don't bother me.
The wedgies, while not pleasant are quickly remedied.
It' the scraping of my back that I don't like. Even with a shirt on, still.

Even more reason not to bother with it!

All? Are we using that term somewhat loosely?

Several?

A couple?

When we did it, we stayed in the deep part where you had to be treading water waiting for the wave. Wasn't a concern, but yeah, in the shallower part, real problem just like body surfing in the ocean.

That's pretty much how we handled it as well.

My pastor says this (and I happen to think he's right)...
It's not that we think we're invincible when we're young, it's that we don't think.

Truth!

Again, questions about the validity of the "all" comment.

One?

That's why we normally do the alternating park/resort days. We've found if we go go go every day, then we need a vacation from the vacation.

Makes a lot of sense. It's hard for me to not add the extra days to the park tickets, though, since the cost per day keeps dropping.

SSAB - Saucers Swirling Aliens Backwards?

:confused3

You can have my share of the hot sauce too...not a hot food fan.

I'm not generally a spicy food fan, but the right amount of heat works for me. I don't go for the crazy stuff.

We go at least once a year and there's always new stuff. Look at my TR if you don't believe me. And why would you?

Oh, I believe you. I know there's always new stuff at Disney. But there's so much else to see, too!

I really should. I have no idea when I'm getting down there again and.... usually my visits are short and I don't want to take a day away from the parks to go to a water park.
Especially if I'm going solo. It's just not as fun by myself. If I go with a rugrat, then I can see it. I certainly wouldn't mind going back.

Makes sense. But most experiences are better when they're shared.

I think you can let that one go now.
It happens.

:hug:

What, leaving your daughter alone with sharks? Oh, yeah. If I had a dollar for every time that happened...

There's also a very small area in DHS near muppets that has a snow man.
I avoid that thing like the plague.

I can see your eye twitching just at the mention of it.

Got a few of those in your day, did you?
Probably recently, too.

If I had a dollar for every tim--HEY!

Well, right now, I have no plans to do so.

I'm sure that will be remedied fairly quickly.

You're going to have to build an addition.

Maybe a new house!

Not bad for a fun ride. Considering people are standing in line for 3 hours (3 hours!!) for FOP.... and that ride isn't even "real".

Thank goodness I got a FP for that and for the Slinky coaster, that's all I have to say.

You make it sound so amazing! You should work for Disney.

Why haven't they hired me yet?:confused3

Neither do I. It's "Go! Go! Go!...... I need a vacation now."

::yes:: That's really the only way we know how to do it.

I don't know. I guess we'll have to ASSk someone.

:rolleyes1:rotfl2:

Okay, then I won't go out of my way... but if I'm there...

Then it's time for chicken and donuts!:woohoo:

I think so too. I've said that actually. The people we used to live beside had kids and went at least once a year. I remember talking to the daughter and saying "Oh! You're going to WDW! You must be excited!"
She just shrugged and said "We go every year." She couldn't care less. Bit disconcerting.

That's what scares me. I don't ever want to get to that point.

Hey now. I love Pop Tarts. We try not to keep them in the house for obvious reasons, but we do buy them as a special treat as breakfast for Disney.

Give me cinnamon buns any day!

What is it about Epcot's security line? It's always at least twice as long as all the other parks. What's really frustrating is that if you are at a monorail resort, you'll clear security at your resort, then have to clear it AGAIN when you get there. I don't know why they haven't figure out how to avoid that yet. For us it means Epcot is always bagless.

Yeah, that's a terrible system. I have to think there's a better way.

I go back and forth. I'll think Blizzard Beach is better, then I'll go back and get bored. So then Typhoon is better. And then the same thing. So it really just depends on the day.

It's a good problem to have!

There is that. I've done Summit Plummet once, because I was there with a friend and we talked each other into it. It was the most terrifying 4 seconds of my life. I'll take Crush'N'Gusher any day.

Another one for the club!

Heh. That's what husbands are for.

:sad2:

How very magnanimous of you.

Hey, if I have to be the one lugging the raft up the stairs...

This is quite possibly one of the most adorable pictures I've ever seen.

Aren't they cute??

At both wave pools. I have a scar on my left foot from the wave pool at Blizzard because one of the bobbing waves caught me just right and my foot dragged across the floor. Tore a nice chunk of skin off. The ironic thing was that for the first few days....the scrape was literally the shape of a Mickey head. Guess there's Disney magic everywhere

Well...that's something, I guess.

I just wish they were less upscale. Yes, it looks nice, but I feel like I'm back at the local snooty shopping center where I can't afford anything. I guess they're trying to keep people on property and away from the outlets, but I would have much preferred more Disney theme stores (like the Disney pet store they used to have) rather than more designer stuff.

Oh, I have no intention of buying anything. It just looks nice, is all.

But no Drooling Homer?

We really enjoyed our first trip to Homecomin. The second one....was just so-so. A lot has to do with your server, as the first time we had a very personable guy and the next a girl who was only partially interested in her job. But even the food failed to wow us like it had previously.

I sometimes forget about Homer. I think Homecomin' was Homer-worthy. Sorry you've had the mixed experiences.

Hey Mark, all caught up and even managed some of the banter. :) Thanks for the nice diversion from real life and the virtual trip to the water park. Never have done one on Disney property, but it sure does look like great fun. Super happy everyone, including Drew enjoyed your day of Disney stuff. Everyone loves a mono ride and while Homecomin' isn't on my personal list, it does look good. I'm going to try out Morimoto on my next trip and see how that fares. :)

Good to hear from you! Home Morimoto is up to your standards!

Sounds like a good call.

I think Drew was happy. You wouldn't know it from the photo, though.

I love the hand position and the expression on his face, he's just getting into the zen of it all! :laughing:

I think he was a little overwhelmed.

I'll be interested to hear what his favorite ride is in a little over a month!

:woohoo:

I've only been to Typhoon Lagoon and it was a long time ago. Even back then I found myself getting winded going up and down the trails and such to the top of the slides. I'd hate to see how I do now at least 10 years later.

And carrying a raft? Yeah...I can't see you enjoying that much.

Peer pressure will get them every time. Plus I bet it was fun too!

This is the only time I've been thankful for peer pressure. And yes, it was fun!

You poor thing, I bet it was rough.

Somebody has to bear this burden.

Sounds fun. I might have to try a water park again for a short period of time.

We sure had a great time!

That totally looks like my speed for a water slide!

:rotfl2: You can keep Drew and Julie company, then!

You know, I think that was probably a really good call on Disney's part.

I think we all liked the new raft ride better.

I do too. It doesn't help that in CA it still is called DTD.

Yes, it's still confusing!

I understand the draw, we didn't have a bad meal, and I'd give it a second chance, but it wasn't all that I had hoped it would be. IMHO Prime Time wins for the Fried Chicken.

I'll do Prime Time later this month and see if I'm in the same camp.

That sounds like a good way to do it. I was torn between the Chicken with Donuts and the other plate. We got the other plate.

The mac and cheese was definitely a winner over the mashed potatoes. Donuts helped, too.

Sounds like fun!

:thumbsup2

And so nice that he wasn't running screaming in horror from the overgrown chipmunks!

That was a legitimate concern.

Well, folks, I had high hopes of finishing up this TR before my next adventure, but I didn't quite make it. Julie and I just recently enjoyed our 20th anniversary, so for a celebration we're ditching the kids and heading out west for a few days. We're seeing Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon--and staying in a couple of cabins inside the latter two parks. We can't wait for a getaway!

So, be good until I get back, ok? I apologize in advance for falling behind on all of your TR's.

What, leaving your daughter alone with sharks? Oh, yeah. If I had a dollar for every time that happened...

We'd all be rich!

Yep. <shudder>

I'm sure that will be remedied fairly quickly.

No idea, really. Maybe next year? :confused3

Thank goodness I got a FP for that and for the Slinky coaster, that's all I have to say.

Good job. No... really.

Obviously an oversight.

Then it's time for chicken and donuts!:woohoo:

That's what scares me. I don't ever want to get to that point.

Ya...

Well, folks, I had high hopes of finishing up this TR before my next adventure, but I didn't quite make it. Julie and I just recently enjoyed our 20th anniversary, so for a celebration we're ditching the kids and heading out west for a few days. We're seeing Capitol Reef, Bryce Canyon, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon--and staying in a couple of cabins inside the latter two parks. We can't wait for a getaway!

So, be good until I get back, ok? I apologize in advance for falling behind on all of your TR's.

1. Happy (belated) anniversary!
2. Have a great time!

Happy Anniversary to captain oblivious and mrs knowitall.
Congrats on 20 years!

Hey, thanks for the tip. Where were you six years ago??
Dang, you expect me to remember that? Well, wait, probably the same as today. Working and then watching fireworks in Kennesaw tonight. (They always do theirs on the 3rd).

Oh!! You mean with the tip? Probably thinking "There's some guy abandoning his daughter in the shark pool and wish I was there to tell him he really should get the life jacket, but I'm not there, so hopefully a CM will tell him and he won't be so macho to refuse. Nah, we're good, THAT would never happen!"

That would definitely make the wait times shorter.
Hmmm...
I wonder if they'd let me take a gas mask into the park and then I could see if I could get sleeping gas pumped into the scent sprayers.
Hmmm

Even more reason not to bother with it!
I think I've done that one (or one like it) a total of 4 times in my life. I think I'm in the don't need it anymore camp.

Several?

A couple?
You're getting warmer, I think. :rotfl2:
In all seriousness, given you've taken your kids to see so many things around the country and despite the steady diet of PB&J (;)), I think you deserve some accolades!

Makes a lot of sense. It's hard for me to not add the extra days to the park tickets, though, since the cost per day keeps dropping.
I get that. The big reason that wasn't an issue for me was I bought 10 day non-expiring tickets before they did away with them. Since they didn't expire, I had no motivation to kill myself (or others) by going every day. Now that we have the APs, again, not concerned about a particular day count although it gives us the option if we do decide we want to go an extra day.

Oh, I believe you. I know there's always new stuff at Disney. But there's so much else to see, too!
Woo hoo. He believes me. That's 1! party:
Makes sense. But most experiences are better when they're shared.
In most cases, I'd agree with you, but not always. I'm looking forward to going solo in Jan so I don't have to wait on anyone or spends long times trying to find out what everyone wants to do. It will allow me to just go and do without having to get permission or consensus. On the other hand, I agree it's better when you can discuss or reminisce about it later.

Kinda like saying Mufasa for the hyenas. Snowman, snowman, snowman. Ooh, it tingles.

If I had a dollar for every tim--HEY!
If I had a dollar...

Carp! Late to the party AGAIN!

Funny thing, I must be the only person not excited about slinky dog or alien saucers. Don't get me wrong, I will try them eventually, but I'm not chomping at the bit for them. In my mind, it keeps more people away from RnRC and ToT so I'm good with that.

I know, right? Me either!

Give me cinnamon buns any day!
::yes:: or yuss!! Cinnamon buns, especially with pecans are the best breakfast food ever. Paired with bacon and we're talking breakfast nirvana.

Yeah, that's a terrible system. I have to think there's a better way.
I don't see it happening they'll bring it back, but the old FP system was better and don't get me started on the tier system. Ugh!

It's a good problem to have!
You speak truth!

Hey, if I have to be the one lugging the raft up the stairs...
Exactly! There has to be some type of incentive.

Aren't they cute??

Good to hear from you! Home Morimoto is up to your standards!
Never heard of Morimoto, may have to consider this in Jan for the DDCC.

I think Drew was happy. You wouldn't know it from the photo, though.
Yeah, parents can tell.

I think he was a little overwhelmed.
Ya think, maybe? Just wait until next visit when he can actually ride stuff. Wooooaaaah Nellie.

Can't imagine, for the life of me, why a Disney visit could illicit that response.

Ummm...
Excuse me while I wipe the tea off my screen. Couldn't keep a straight face or not spit it out in laughter typing that.

And carrying a raft? Yeah...I can't see you enjoying that much.
Carrying a raft, I can't see ANYONE enjoying that much. The ride is fun, but the hauling the raft up tons of stairs, not so much.

This is the only time I've been thankful for peer pressure. And yes, it was fun!
Peer pressure isn't ALWAYS bad...sometimes it is convincing someone to do the RIGHT thing.

Somebody has to bear this burden.
And you did it with a smile on your face. What a guy!

I'll do Prime Time later this month and see if I'm in the same camp.
Well, since you're one of my five readers, maybe you saw PR got the chicken and I got the pot roast. The pot roast wasn't much to speak of and the chicken was good, even though I didn't have much of it. Save room for the apple crisp...that was yummy!

The mac and cheese was definitely a winner over the mashed potatoes. Donuts helped, too.
Well duh! Donuts always help!

We take anything we can get.
Which as parents, ain't much.
(but from time to time it can be a very fine verity of "ain't much")

If I have to spend that much, I'm getting a Dole Whip.
Yep...
having one of those on hand can solve many of the world's problems.
(if only for just a moment.)

Actually, no parking fees were paid. I was a resort guest, so the Epcot lot was free. And there's no fee at TL for parking.
D'oh! Yes, you were on site, weren't you...
Don't know what I was thinking, there.
(unless it was subconsciously working through the likely logistics of any future visit we may make down that way)

Not all heroes wear capes.
Certainly not if Edna has anything to say about it.

If mine were a donut, I'd be a happy man!
So... is this you, then?

latest

You look quite different from when I saw you last.
When did you start wearing bow ties?

There's a place near here in Annapolis that makes a pepper gravy for their chicken & waffles that is really good.
Sounds good...
When are we going?

Nah. Beat up some other kids and stole their s'mores.
It's the American Way.

It still hurts.
Some jokes are just worth the consequences.

Be good? Us?
Pbbbffftttt!

Y'all enjoy the trip.
Sounds like another excellent adventure.
Looking forward to seeing a photo or three from that one.

Last edited:
So far we've been going back every year (or so) and since we never get to do everything I dont have that problem. Even with "land" and I go there far more often.

That's cool. Knowing myself, I think I'd get a little bored. Even with the rides I love, I can only ride it so many times before I'm ready to do something else. Going every few years gives me enough time to forget the details so that it feels fresh to me when I finally go back.

No idea, really. Maybe next year? :confused3

I'm sure you'll be able to work something out!

Good job. No... really.

Thanks. I figured a FP was the only way I was going to see the Slinky coaster or Flight of Passage.

1. Happy (belated) anniversary!
2. Have a great time!

1. Thank you!
2. We did!

Happy Anniversary to captain oblivious and mrs knowitall.
Congrats on 20 years!

Thanks, Doc!

Oh!! You mean with the tip? Probably thinking "There's some guy abandoning his daughter in the shark pool and wish I was there to tell him he really should get the life jacket, but I'm not there, so hopefully a CM will tell him and he won't be so macho to refuse. Nah, we're good, THAT would never happen!"

You're right. Nobody's that stupid.

Hmmm...
I wonder if they'd let me take a gas mask into the park and then I could see if I could get sleeping gas pumped into the scent sprayers.
Hmmm

It's worth a shot. Let me know how it goes!

You're getting warmer, I think. :rotfl2:
In all seriousness, given you've taken your kids to see so many things around the country and despite the steady diet of PB&J (;)), I think you deserve some accolades!

Well, thanks! I keep telling people it's the best money we've ever spent.

I get that. The big reason that wasn't an issue for me was I bought 10 day non-expiring tickets before they did away with them. Since they didn't expire, I had no motivation to kill myself (or others) by going every day. Now that we have the APs, again, not concerned about a particular day count although it gives us the option if we do decide we want to go an extra day.

I think if I went every year, I'd definitely build in some rest days. But since I don't, I tend to want to squeeze in as much park time as possible.

Funny thing, I must be the only person not excited about slinky dog or alien saucers. Don't get me wrong, I will try them eventually, but I'm not chomping at the bit for them. In my mind, it keeps more people away from RnRC and ToT so I'm good with that.

I think Slinky looks fun. The alien ride looks more like an "only if the line is short" type ride.

::yes:: or yuss!! Cinnamon buns, especially with pecans are the best breakfast food ever. Paired with bacon and we're talking breakfast nirvana.

You can have my pecans. I'm not a fan of nuts in my food. Nuts in my family, yes. Nuts in my food, no.

I don't see it happening they'll bring it back, but the old FP system was better and don't get me started on the tier system. Ugh!

I liked the paper FP system better, too. Mostly because it was easier to get multiple rides on the headliner attractions.

Never heard of Morimoto, may have to consider this in Jan for the DDCC.

It looks like it's more for the frou-frou crowd than my simple tastes.

Ya think, maybe? Just wait until next visit when he can actually ride stuff. Wooooaaaah Nellie.

I can't wait!

Carrying a raft, I can't see ANYONE enjoying that much. The ride is fun, but the hauling the raft up tons of stairs, not so much.

Yeah. I can't believe Disney didn't think of that originally.

Peer pressure isn't ALWAYS bad...sometimes it is convincing someone to do the RIGHT thing.

Well, since you're one of my five readers, maybe you saw PR got the chicken and I got the pot roast. The pot roast wasn't much to speak of and the chicken was good, even though I didn't have much of it. Save room for the apple crisp...that was yummy!

I know I'll go for the fried chicken. I usually love apple crisp, but that one looked like the "crisp" was oats. I generally prefer pastry crust to that.

Well duh! Donuts always help!

Man law!

Which as parents, ain't much.
(but from time to time it can be a very fine verity of "ain't much")

Sometimes "ain't much" is all you need.

Yep...
having one of those on hand can solve many of the world's problems.
(if only for just a moment.)

Life is certainly better with a Dole Whip.

D'oh! Yes, you were on site, weren't you...
Don't know what I was thinking, there.
(unless it was subconsciously working through the likely logistics of any future visit we may make down that way)

Hey, no problem. I don't expect you guys to have these TR's memorized.

Certainly not if Edna has anything to say about it.

No capes!

So... is this you, then?

latest

You look quite different from when I saw you last.
When did you start wearing bow ties?

It's to distract you from the ever-growing belly.

Sounds good...
When are we going?

Soon as you get up here! That's where @pkondz and I met up.

Be good? Us?
Pbbbffftttt!

Y'all enjoy the trip.
Sounds like another excellent adventure.
Looking forward to seeing a photo or three from that one.

Perhaps you shall! Soon as I finish off this one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!