The What's for Dinner Thread - August 2014 (recipe index in OP)

The Cheeseburger Quesadillas were a hit.. I sautéed ground burger with onions, added them to the tortilla, put 2 slices of American cheese on, lettuce and tomato with burger sauce (mayo, ketchup, mustard, sweet relish all mixed together) and then crisped them up in my fry pan! next time we are going to add BBQ sauce to burger mix and bacon on the tortilla!

Tonight my mom will be staying with us (as well as my Dad again, me, hubs and DS) but we have a wake to attend tonight so I think we'll just order sandwiches or pizza from our local joint..

I see lots of nice things on here from yesterday/weekend .. nice to have get together with friends, one pot meals a super, glad popcorn from the other theater sat well, a big Anniversary -- Congrats!!! , scary about those grill mats!!! Wishing you all a great day!! Michelle

Hump Day Wednesday. I always look forward to Wednesday night when I can take a little breather. The weekend always seems a lot closer at this point of the week.

Good Wednesday!

Michelle- those quesadillas sound delicious!

PIO- I like Wednesday too!

Dinner last night was delicious. We went to my favorite restaurant and I had veal Milanese and veggies along with lemon cake. YUM! ''The cantaloupe martini was awesome!

Nancy, sounds like a great evening.

Michelle, those quesadillas sounds like they have promise. I order my burgers with no ketchup or mayonnaise, and the only thing I use relish for is tuna salad, so perhaps with mayo (or thousand island), they could work in my house. What size tortillas did you use and how did you fold them?

PIO, glad you're over the hump now! Hope dinner at Mums was great!

Last night we drove through McD's. It had been a while so I was OK with it. Besides we had a BOGO coupon so it was slightly cheap. It made me sad though, while watching the View this morning Diane Sawyer was on the show promoting a special series she is doing on the Middle Class in Middle America. They were saying that for many families going to McDonald's once a month is a luxury. :hug:

Tonight we are having frozen ravioli. I have three kinds in the freezer, spinach and fontina, ricotta, and beef. I also have a tub of Alfredo sauce that I've thawed. I'll saute some green onions and chopped tomatoes, heat those in the sauce, and the then sprinkle with fresh basil on the plate. Served with a green salad and Texas Toast, it will be a no fuss dinner.

Tomorrow night we are spending it at the Grand Californian (we used our DVC to get a room!). We have a really special party to attend there! I can't wait, it's a retro sixties party and Big Bad VooDoo Daddy is the entertainment!

Hey all you wonderful ladies,

I am just jumping in. I did take the time to read back and you all have been very busy.

Nan ~ Happy Anniversary. Vacation sounds wonderful. We have new babies that we have acquired. A farmer 3 section over had 4 babies that he wanted to get rid of and of course Doug said "sure". So there goes our vacation for the summer. But they better be weaned by football season or I am leaving him at home.

PIO ~ You are just too busy. Please take care my friend. It will all get done.

Alison ~ I was saddened to hear of Paula's passing. I really enjoyed her trip reports. She wasn't well, but I had no idea she was so sick. Prayers to you!
How is the apartment cleaning out coming along?

Bradi ~ I am so proud to call you my friend. What you do on Memorial Day is awesome. Good for you!!

Kimmar ~ Your kitchen is beautiful

Pooh ~ I hope you are enjoying your summer. We had tickets to Sunday's CWS game and I was going to call you to see if we could meet up, but Katlin (DDIL) is a TCU graduate and wanted to go so we gave our tickets to them. Someday.........

Michelle ~ welcome!

Well last night started our 4 nights of Rodeo. It was a beautiful night. We had so much fun.

WFDT ~ I am having an Elephant Ear at the Rodeo. Doug will probably have a cheeseburger - he's so boring.

Make it a great day.

Ellen, so many questions!!!!!

How can a neighbor just give you babies? They must be animals otherwise I don't think that would be legal, even in Nebraska!

What in the heck is an elephant ear? Sounds rather tough.

I'm being lazy sitting in bed, but I need to get going. We want to leave for Disney between 10-11 AM. Were all packed, sort of, I just need to put the hanging clothes in the garment suitcase and then put the suitcases in the car.

Not sure what dinner will be. Evidently there is no "dinner" tonight, but they say there will be enough appetizers to fill us up.

Michelle, those quesadillas sounds like they have promise. I order my burgers with no ketchup or mayonnaise, and the only thing I use relish for is tuna salad, so perhaps with mayo (or thousand island), they could work in my house. What size tortillas did you use and how did you fold them?

Hi @franandaj so for the guys I bought the large size flour tortilla and for me I buy the carb balance ones that are medium size.. I used pam in my pan (hubs said butter or EVOO next time) then for folding I put 2 in the pan with half hanging out over the pan then I stuffed in all the good stuff.. (BTW my son only had ketchup, cheese and lettuce in his) then folded the top over.. I put my tea kettle on top to weigh them down a bit for crisping and melt the cheese so it would sort of stick together, then I just used my fish spatula (because it's longer then most of my other ones) and gave it a slow flip.. some burger fell out but I sort of shuffled it back in with the spatula.. I bet thousand island would be awesome - almost like big mac sauce for a McDonald's fan.

Last night after we attended the wake we went to IHOP.. MMMM breakfast for dinner is always a hit :)

Well my dad left earlier today so it might still be sausage subs for us but I am thinking we'll save those for next week when both my parents are here again Wed - Fri.. so that leaves today a bit up in the air.. could just be frozen pizza tonight and we'll take something out of the freezer for tomorrow.

Happy Thursday everyone.. Michelle

Nancy - Dinner at that restaurant sounds amazing. Was the lemon cake delicious (notice how I focussed on dessert??)?

Alison - Dinner at mum's was good. I spent the night gossiping about some long lost family members that came to 'visit' last weekend. They stayed at my parents. I went to re-acquaint myself with them on Saturday last week and found them to be the 'braggy' sort. My ''cousin'' spent the entire time over lunch telling me about how well-off they were, how well-travelled, the car they drove, their wonderful job titles etc. They never once asked me about what I do for a living. After about 2 hours, I politely excused myself and went home. I doubt I'll see them again. But my parents told me that they had to spend the entire long weekend with them!!!! And we had a good laugh about their attitude and snobbishness.

I'm so envious about your special event. I bet it was awesome.

Ellen - I hope that I get to visit you someday....during Rodeo season. It looks and sounds amazing. What babies did you acquire?

Pooh'smate - :wave2: Hope you're having a good week.

Michelle - Hope your parents have a good visit with you. Do they visit often?

It's Friday night here. So glad it's the weekend. This weekend I have a 'studio' type shoot on Sunday. It's a Mad Hatter theme and I hope I get some decent shots. There will be about 6 or 7 models and about 6 photographers. I'm quietly hoping for an elaborate set-up. We'll see how it goes.

Have a good weekend all.

(And as I'm typing this, my Siamese cat wants to play fetch! He's brought the ball back to me 3 times now. )

Thank goodness it's Friday - what a long week. One more week till a much needed 10 days off. I can't wait.

Alison ~ I am SO sorry. I totally dropped that one. I knew what I was saying ;) Yes, they are baby calves. They were only about 2 weeks old and had been with their Mama but we still, for at least the next 6 - 8 weeks, have to bottle feed them. They are so stinking cute, but take a LOT of work and they have to be fed twice a day. So that keeps us close to home for awhile.
An Elephant ear is sometimes called and Indian taco. It is fried bread topped with meat, usually beef, then lettuce, tomatoes, onions and cheese. You can customize them any way you want. They are SO not good for you,but oh so good. And I try to eat one once a year at the rodeo. YUM!!
I can't wait to hear about your latest adventure in DL. You Lucky Duck!!

Michelle ~ I learned something today. I have never thought of only putting half of the tortilla in the pan and then folding over. Neat idea. Thanks

PIO ~ Oh how I would love to show you my part of the USA. We had an Ozie riding last night. He did pretty good! The announcer asked if their were any Ozies with us and I thought of you!

Tonight is the 3rd night of the Rodeo, tomorrow night is the BIG event. So back to North Platte we go. I truly think I am getting to old for this staying out so late. I am tired - trying to get by with only 6 hours of sleep. But it's worth it!

WFDT ~ I think tonight I will have a Gyro. They are made with lamb and oh so good. I might even have a beer. :)

Make it a great day!

Well I survived the big night last night and now I'm in line for EMH to ride Guardians without a FP! The queue is supposedly really cool!

Well probably head home after checkout at 11AM. Unfortunately we have adult stuff to do today and this weekend.

WFDT? We call them cloppities, but they're just pan Fried meatloaf with a gravy. Well have mashed potatoes and roasted veg.

@PrincessInOz My parents live 2 hours north of me and my dad does a lot of side work - he's a carpenter - down here in my area so it's likely he's at my house during the nice months April - Oct 3 nights a week most every week! Lucky for me he just sleeps in our living room in the recliner (same as at home) and then my mom comes about every other week - sometimes just a night or sometimes if my dad can convince her for the whole time he is down here.. now sometimes when my mom is here I have to set up the folding ottoman in my scrapbook room for her -depends on if my son is home too.. and it's likely that once a month when they are both here we have family dinner at my house so that means me, hubs, son, daughter and boyfriend and sometimes doggy, my sister and my parents are in my house (by house I mean single wide mobile 14X76) .. it's crazy and hectic but I love it.. (my hubs sometimes not so much) .. Hum well that was long - didn't seem so long in my head.. HAAAA

@franandaj you dinner sounds interesting - do you cook the meatloaf first then slice and pan fry? or make your meatloaf mix and form and fry it from raw??
If anyone ever wants a new meatloaf recipe, I make mine with ground meat, cooked rice, an egg, a slice of bread, ketchup, spices and American cheese.

Well this is it from me until Monday -I hope you all have a fantastic Friday and a wonderful weekend! Michelle

@franandaj you dinner sounds interesting - do you cook the meatloaf first then slice and pan fry?

I mix ground beef, an egg, chopped onion, salt and pepper, and then take a couple slices of bread that I sprinkle with milk. Not too soggy, but so that they are slightly damp. Tear those into little pieces and put it in the meat mixture. Then I form them into patties, about 1/8 lb each. I pan fry them and when cooked, remove to heat in the oven. I put a little flour in the pan grease and then cook for a minute or two. I add milk, but you could also add coffee for "red eye" gravy. We prefer creamy. It's an Okie sort of recipe her mom mad for her dad that Fran remembers from childhood. She talked me through it the first time and now I know how to do it.

Saturday afternoon and the weekend is half over. :(
There's nothing as certain as time passing, is there?

Ellen - I think I definitely need to come to your Rodeo. The cowboys would be great to try and shoot and the food options sound wonderful.

Alison - Hope you had a great time at your local playground; even if it was only for 1 ride and shopping. So envious. It's going to be a while before I make it out again. :(

Michelle - Seems like you have a full house!

Have a great weekend all.

WFDT? DS seems to want pizza. I don't remember when we last got pizza for dinner; so it might just be a sign.

Hey all you wonderful ladies...Kimmar ~ Your kitchen is beautiful....
...thanks!

WFDT? Slow-roasted ribs....I have my own special rub that I coat the ribs with, seal them in tin foil, and cook them at 275 degrees for 4 hours. I take them out of the oven and put a coat of BBQ sauce on them and cook them quickly [on a high temp] in the grill for about 6-7 minutes....YUMMY!

Last edited:
...thanks!

WFDT? Slow-roasted ribs....I have my own special rub that I coat the ribs with, seal them in tin foil, and cook them at 275 degrees for 3 hours. I take them out of the oven and put a coat of BBQ sauce on them and cook them quickly [on a high temp] in the grill for about 6-7 minutes....YUMMY!

Beef or pork?

We had a huge storm come through our area last Friday and we lost power. They had two tornados about 1/2 an hour from here so we are thankful that we just have lost power. Today was the first day that we had power all day. Tonight we had meatloaf and cowboy rice and blueberry cobbler.

I made a buffalo chicken flatbread with Greek yogurt ranch dressing. This is my first week using the Plated subscription.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter