The Wish Content Shouldn't have Been Behind a Pay Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

disneyland_is_magic

DIS Veteran
I am going to get jumped all over and that's fine but it needs to be said. Putting any Wish content behind the pay wall at this point was going too far IMO. It was free to them and invite only. Once the team pays for it, that's different and it would be different to use that for Patreon content.

Pete's solo shows, Ryno and Craig's watch parties, etc is all bonus content people are paying for and good for them for doing it and good for those who pay for it. I am not talking about any of that.

The after shows on Tuesdays though I think crossed into new territory this week. When Patreon was introduced Pete assured the audience that things they were currently doing would not go behind the pay wall. When the after show started, I got the impression it was just a behind the scene chit chat where they would stick around and maybe answer a question or two, absolutely no issue with that. More recently, someone will start to tell a story and Pete or whoever is hosting will suggest holding it for the after show. This took away some of the gems and anecdotes which was too bad but their right of course. I feel like now the content of what was on the Tuesday show is diluted. At the end of the Tuesday show they are always saying something like, "what else? Does any one have anything else? We have x number of minutes left" so they can stretch it to an after show. That's still no problem, I just turn it off if they are basically run out of things to say.

Being on the Wish last week was a gift from Disney, both in opportunity to experience a brand new ship and in cost to the Dis. I think it would have been more true to why Disney gave it to them, to promote the product and disseminate the news to have done it in the main show. Really, I tell myself that inevitably they will say it all again in 50 different places so it doesn't matter but I wanted to discuss this change of policy in my mind.

They took the lead story of the main show and put it behind the pay wall, which is going further then they have previously. I have seen and heard little from Pete's perspective so turned on the show and found out his experience was going to be pay per view.

And yeah, I know it wasn't a review, etc, etc but I think Disney would be wise to give their spots to other bloggers who will share publicly instead IMO.

Last edited:
I wanted to add to my original post I want to make Craig a notable exception, there is no doubt he is "all-in" during these media previews, working long hours, fully engaging like the Star Wars hotel, waiting for hours to get the best camera shots, sharing and interacting on socials, etc. I am referring specifically to the decision Pete made to hold their thoughts and stories of last week to the after show.

I disagree.... Pete and the team have consistently stated that they will not share their opinions when Disney pays for the trip. The media events are held so that the new "whatever" (ship, attraction, land, etc.) is shared with the public (us). Pete & the team go to these events for content only and to understand the product for their clients (my opinion). They are going on the inaugural cruise in a week or so and we'll hear all of their opinions after that. Whatever they shared with Patreon was a little behind the scenes perk. People that want the perks can join Patreon, and if not, it's just a little delay in hearing their real opinions about the ship and cruise.

This is my guess - another reason they aren't going to review the Wish is because at the time of the media event the ship was still in soft opening, and not fully operational with the amenities, onboard activities, etc. So, it would be premature to review an unfinished product and influence prospective guests. This is one of the reasons why I respect their opinions highly. I know that they are not being 'bought' by Disney.

Regarding giving their spots to other bloggers - other bloggers already are included, as well as influencers. I saw a lot of content on Youtube of families and other people that don't hold back. The question I have is whether I can trust their reviews, or are they more positive so that Disney keeps inviting them back. I don't have to worry about that with the DIS Unplugged team.

Last edited:

First tons of respect to you Mary Jo but on this one I disagree.

I am not looking for a review and everyone knows this is a soft opening and that is woefully delayed.

Pete was adamant the Tuesday show would never go behind the pay wall, this was the most important news story of the week and it went behind a pay wall. I will go back and find clips of his commitment to the audience on that.

Plus they took something that cost them nothing and charged for documenting it. I think the number of paying Dreams clients and the overall size of the Dis audience was why Disney extended the invitation. You honor the audience that got you the invitation by sharing without nickel and diming them.

Last edited:
I would have cared if he didn’t say on the show that he “ will review the wish on the debut sailing “ that he actually paid for. I can wait a few weeks.

Reason being when something is free, you are treated differently than a normal guest. If he pays for something, it might be a different experience. I am glad they only review what they pay for. We get honest opinions and not opinions based on hoping Disney won’t get mad and not give free things anymore ( ala ALL vloggers on YouTube etc )

And I will now always attempt to book a new ship madison voyage to attempt to get 50 percent off when it’s delayed 😉

Reason being when something is free, you are treated differently than a normal guest. If he pays for something, it might be a different experience. I am glad they only review what they pay for. We get honest opinions and not opinions based on hoping Disney won’t get mad and not give free things anymore ( ala ALL vloggers on YouTube etc )

Okay, I totally agree about reviews should be something you paid for. I think there is a lot of things you can share about the ship, how it is organized, etc that are not a review. A lot of people are just looking for content of what is where and how it is ran differently so they can prepare for future trips.

Talk about what you thought of the christening ceremony for heaven sakes!

I think you can share like if the walking track now has stairs (something that future guests have been asking about on the boards) but it doesn't mean you hated it or loved the experience. You can share about tables sizes, a space comparison of the dining areas, pool sizes, etc compared to the Dream. Even if Disney isn't fully ready, room and pool sizes are not changing at this point.

Have a sense of humor and tell us if the wifi was bad or not! We aren't going to doom the ship for it, just tell us something.

Last edited:
I feel like they could have easily done 30 plus minutes in the main show just reporting what happened and what they saw and did on the ship while keeping a cautious tone to not review it.

Then the Patreon show could have been more personal anecdotes like celebrity sightings and a Q&A with more forthcoming answers.

That would have been a better approach IMO.

There is SO MUCH content about the Wish all over the internet. Instagram/YouTube/TikTok is full of all the influencers and their thoughts. Tons of video, pictures, etc. You don't have to search hard to find it. The Dis crew will duly post their stuff but there's no lack of Wish content around.

Plus, isn't this the entire point of Patreon subscriptions? You get extra stuff not available for the masses. It's supposed to be a little more special, a little more exclusive.

Personally, I like their policy of not reviewing anything they didn't pay for.
It didn't bother me that he put his opinions behind the Patreon "paywall". That's the point of being a Patreon patron, you get extras.
Previously, watching videos from the Star Wars hotel during the free media stay vs later paying stays, there were definite differences.
Disney must know The Dis policy for not reviewing what they don't pay for. If it bothered Disney, they wouldn't be invited.

Okay, first off I need thank everyone because I was expecting to get a lot more push back because it seems like if you ever come with constructive feedback a lot of people just jumped to their defense regardless, like you must be a troll or a meanie. I appreciate that is just been a respectful disagreement.

But I feel the need to restate two things,

1. I didn't want a review, just some details of the preview cruise and the ship itself.

2. The Tuesday show is not "extra," or it didn't used to be, I still feel like this was a new shift in the big new story going to Patreon. I definitely have no problem with bonus or extra content on Patreon.

Thanks

Last edited:
I felt the same - I have a lot of respect for their policy to only review things they pay for, but they could have shared some basic info without any opinions or bias.
When the Star Wars hotel opened, I seem to recall that there was a media voyage that they did on Disney's dime, and after that they were super careful to not give any opinions on anything, just shared facts - and didn't put that info on Patreon. Then, when they went back to the SW hotel and paid for it, they did the full review.

Okay, first off I need thank everyone because I was expecting to get a lot more push back because it seems like if you ever come with constructive feedback a lot of people just jumped to their defense regardless, like you must be a troll or a meanie. I appreciate that is just been a respectful disagreement.

1. I didn't want a review, just some details of the preview cruise and the ship itself.

2. The Tuesday show is not "extra," or it didn't used to be, I still feel like this was a new shift in the big new story going to Patreon. I definitely have no problem with bonus or extra content on Patreon.

Thanks
I think there WAS a ton of content made and filmed on that cruise that we have not seen posted yet. Craig is one guy, and he has taken a much deserved vacation (+ an ABD Backstage Magic hosting gig for Dreams). They didn't dump everything all at once!

Plus Jackie and Deni are on the ship now and are posting pretty continuously on Instagram stories.

I think there WAS a ton of content made and filmed on that cruise that we have not seen posted yet. Craig is one guy, and he has taken a much deserved vacation (+ an ABD Backstage Magic hosting gig for Dreams). They didn't dump everything all at once!

Plus Jackie and Deni are on the ship now and are posting pretty continuously on Instagram stories.
Yes like I said Craig went above and beyond. But it's definitely worth saying again, he is amazing.

Last edited:

Thanks
Are you on instagram? If not, that will give you what you're looking for from The Dis regarding The Wish. They posted a TON of Wish content on Instagram stories. I feel like I saw every square inch of the ship and had most questions answered simply by following them on IG. It seems like many companies are leaning this way now vs. YouTube. It's a much faster, easier way to get your content out.

All of that WISH instagram content was free from The Dis- no paywall. *Edited to add: I just looked and there are still dozens of videos up on their Instagram highlight reel of The Wish. Highly recommend you take a look :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter